Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,111 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Manus is the only boss I gave up on. Smough & Ornstein drove me mad but I eventually beat them, Artorias and Gwyn were worse but again, I got the better of them but seriously...fúck Manus.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

i wish there was a boss fight option once you'd finished the game, so you could just hop into any boss fight and give it a bash arena style

well I dont as it'd take something away from the journey and the experience but it would be kinda cool, cos I want to fight manus now but Im not really in the humour for the 8 hours work i have to do to get there.

I'd love that, I know you can thrown down a summon sign but its not that same as just being able to jump into a fight on your own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Manus was the toughest fight in the game for me, took an age to beat him. Can't remember what it's called but there's a pendant you can use to block his magic attacks, it's hard to get the timing right but might be useful if you can use it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

just lost 300k souls
    thought I'd save them up then level everything as I don't mind the challange
    GOD DAMMITTTT
    serves me right haha

By the way I think this might be glitched but anyhow

you know that boss battle in sens fortress
    if you help someone with that boss you get 60k souls everytime
    I thought you only get half the amount if your helping someone beat a boss

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Just got Artorias set and the Great Lord Greatsword. Running around like a boss. Tempted to start the game again just to hammer everyone.

• Advertisement

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    just lost 300k souls
    thought I'd save them up then level everything as I don't mind the challange
    GOD DAMMITTTT
    serves me right haha

By the way I think this might be glitched but anyhow

you know that boss battle in sens fortress
    if you help someone with that boss you get 60k souls everytime
    I thought you only get half the amount if your helping someone beat a boss

In NG+ you get 120k souls for beating him so 60k would be right, assuming you're in NG+ of course..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Harps wrote: »
    In NG+ you get 120k souls for beating him so 60k would be right, assuming you're in NG+ of course..

I'm in my first playthrough with the current build im using
    so it doesnt make sense

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

One handy i only realised a little while ago is, if you die and lose loads of souls in a tough area, put a ring of sacrifice on when you're trying to recover them. That way, if you die again, your souls will still be where they dropped.

Gives you at least 1 extra chance to recover them.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Or if you've died and on the way back to your bloodstain and think you might die before you get there you can Darksign. You'll lose any souls you've gained in the run up but your bloodstain with whatever you dropped will still be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I'm in my first playthrough with the current build im using
    so it doesnt make sense

You can be summoned to NG+ if the host is in your level range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

In need of a game so I said I'd chance getting this with the praise it's been getting on Boards lately. Xtravision had Prepare to Die edition new for 12 euro in a sale. Brought it to the counter, sorry disk was sold to someone. They had it 2nd hand for 20 euro, sorry that disk is missing....okay onto Gamestop. 2nd hand for 25 or new Prepare to Die for 30. Said I'd get it new and support the devs and the Gaming Gods rewarded me by making it 20 quid at the till!

Anyone tell me if Artorias of the Abyss should have come with it? No mentiion on the box but read online it does?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,153 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

sheehy83 wrote: »
    In need of a game so I said I'd chance getting this with the praise it's been getting on Boards lately. Xtravision had Prepare to Die edition new for 12 euro in a sale. Brought it to the counter, sorry disk was sold to someone. They had it 2nd hand for 20 euro, sorry that disk is missing....okay onto Gamestop. 2nd hand for 25 or new Prepare to Die for 30. Said I'd get it new and support the devs and the Gaming Gods rewarded me by making it 20 quid at the till!

Anyone tell me if Artorias of the Abyss should have come with it? No mentiion on the box but read online it does?

If it's the Prepare to Die Edition then you should have the DLC yeah. I'm not sure if you download it or if it comes on disc though.

Aaaaaahhh I don't hav the Prepare to Die edition, just the Limited Edition that has the sound track, making of dvd and art book. I have a code to download these and a strategy guide but the link just brins me to the Dark Souls 2 site so I'd say can't get them any more. I'm not usually into Art books but this has some class pics.

You can't access the DLC until late in the game anyway so you'd be as well to give it a try first to see if you like it

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

I'm about to replay this to do the DLC. How does one access the new area(s)?

Jericho. wrote: »
    I'm about to replay this to do the DLC. How does one access the new area(s)?

Here goes (spoilered in case)
    You need to kill the Hydra in Darkroot Basin, then go to another area and come back and you should find a golden Golem on the other side of the lake where the Hydra was (sometimes it's there straight after the Hydra snuffs it), you need to just run through the water past the ladder and it's in a big alcove, kill it and an NPC called Dusk of Oolacile appears at the shoreline of the lake. You might need to leave the area and return for her to spawn there. Talk to her then get thee to Anor Londo and head to where the Duke's Archives is, at the elevator there's a blue golem that one you kill drops a pendant. Head back to where the golden Golem was and you'll see a swirly vortex thing, enter that and it brings you into the DLC areas.
    You need to have the Lordvessel so you need to have beaten Ornstein & Smough and laid it at the altar to open the entrance to the Duke's Archives first. If you're looking to do it in a rush then how I did it from a brand new game was straight to the Bell Gargoyles, then Blighttown to fight Queelag, human both times to make it easier, straight to Sen's then Anor Londo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Kiith wrote: »
    One handy i only realised a little while ago is, if you die and lose loads of souls in a tough area, put a ring of sacrifice on when you're trying to recover them. That way, if you die again, your souls will still be where they dropped.

Kiith wrote: »

Whaaaaa? I've beaten this game 100% on both PS3 and 360 and never knew this... %$!*?@ sake :pac:

Blah, after a dozen or more attempts at Manus I took the wussy way out and summoned two guys in Oolalice to help me, it was still a tough fight even with three of us. Now for Kalameet later.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

has anyone tried the moveswapping glitch ? i have been watching alot of the speed runs on twitch , they seem to use it with the black knight great sword

Spent an hour last night just getting some good starting loot I saw in a youtube vid, Ready to lash into it properly today. I can't seem to Kick or Jump Attack - Left Stick and R1/R2. Some kind of trick to these? Tried holding LS, flicking it and clicking it with the R buttons but no joy. I'm finding it far better than Demons Souls in the early stages anyway, much more of a progressive system.

• Advertisement

Spent an hour last night just getting some good starting loot I saw in a youtube vid, Ready to lash into it properly today. I can't seem to Kick or Jump Attack - Left Stick and R1/R2. Some kind of trick to these? Tried holding LS, flicking it and clicking it with the R buttons but no joy. I'm finding it far better than Demons Souls in the early stages anyway, much more of a progressive system.

The kick is kind of a pain to do, I still mistime it horribly at times, if you push forward and R1 at the exact same time and just practice you'll get it down, same with the jump attack. Those enemies near the bonfire in Firelink Shrine are good to practice stuff on, the guy lobbing the firebombs can be kicked off that cliff.
    They said they've changed the jump mechanic in Dark Souls 2 to clicking down on R3 instead of pushing circle again when you're running. Good, many, many times I've rolled off something instead of jumping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

krudler wrote: »
    They said they've changed the jump mechanic in Dark Souls 2 to clicking down on R3 instead of pushing circle again when you're running. Good, many, many times I've rolled off something instead of jumping.

This just sounds awful. Why would they map something as important to such a dodgy input?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    This just sounds awful. Why would they map something as important to such a dodgy input?

As in the way it is or will be? As it is on ps3 you press circle to run the press it again to jump, even after a few hundred hours I still mess it up lol I guess R3 wont be that much different. wonder if anyone on here had the beta and can say if it was an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Hopefully its just for a jumping attack rather than jump.

Manual passing in PES is (or at least was the last time I played) controlled by a mix of tilting the stick and depressing R3, absolute nightmare to use and this sounds something similar.

Also wouldn't most jumping be done while sprinting making holding down forward circle and then pressing R3 sounds very awkward.

Also wouldn't most jumping be done while sprinting making holding down forward circle and then pressing R3 sounds very awkward.

I think it was hold down R3 and click it again or something, maybe they'll let you remap the controls or have an alternate version.

Worse again as it's actually L3 to jump. Tried it out in the beta and ended up changing direction as I started the jump more than once. Good thing is I think it can be changed back to the original setup.

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    Worse again as it's actually L3 to jump. Tried it out in the beta and ended up changing direction as I started the jump more than once. Good thing is I think it can be changed back to the original setup.

Aw what, so you use the same stick to move and jump, balls to that, Straight back to the old mode then.
    What's the beta like out of interest? from what I saw it looks much prettier.

krudler wrote: »
    Aw what, so you use the same stick to move and jump, balls to that, Straight back to the old mode then.
    What's the beta like out of interest? from what I saw it looks much prettier.

It looked pretty good, only got about an hour on it so I can't really say for sure but I'd be fairly confident that it'll turn out as good as Dark Souls if not better. The movement of the character is probably the first noticeable difference. Seems more fluid and a bit lighter I think. Messed around with the zweihander and it felt a bit meatier too.

• Advertisement

Tommy_NDX wrote: »
    It looked pretty good, only got about an hour on it so I can't really say for sure but I'd be fairly confident that it'll turn out as good as Dark Souls if not better. The movement of the character is probably the first noticeable difference. Seems more fluid and a bit lighter I think. Messed around with the zweihander and it felt a bit meatier too.

Delighted the Zweihander is back, was my go to sword on my first build. i did see some footage of the bonfire being lit and a boss fight and it all looked much more stable and fluid, even the bonfire has a nice lightning/ember effect.

I hope there's plenty of daytime areas as well though I like how much of DS1 isn't set in complete darkness.

Advertisement