Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

Devil08 wrote: »
    Yes we need to represent ourselves at the moment, stand up, be heard, and try make a difference rather than just accept it. Shatter is a bolloxx though and the rest of the govn, they don't care about screwing their own people over. No morals at all

First things first! Get into the job and then start the process, people talking about transfers etc here are talking through their arse, try and get the job, the defeatist attitude shown by some people here is not what's needed in new recruits!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

First things first! Get to the job and then start the process, people talking about transfers etc here are talking through their arse, try and get the job, the defeatist attitude shown by some people here is not what's needed in new recruits!

Far from defeatist, quite the opposite, standing up for ourselves if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Jesus lads it's a sad sight. The one job where you have to move to where you are put and more than likely to a city with crazy rent. And they take away the allowance to outweigh this, even after chopping 20% off the pay. As for the shower who decided this, wouldn't call them less than w***ers, easy for them with the pay there on, don't see there allowances or expenses being cut. I can't see it working, new recruits are going to go through poverty, dealing with dickheads and all the like, and for what, an empty pay packet by the time you have the bills paid! And we wonder why so much people decide not to bother work. Because the end up with more that's why!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

It's sad to see the disillusionment that has set in among applicants as they face the realities of the pay package. Unfortunately the Government has the PR machine ready to spin about Garda recruitment, numbers applying and that the economy is improving etc. etc. They are well able to turn up at Garda funerals and commemoration masses and talk about the great sacrifices made by Gardaí but that's as far as it will go . Anyone hoping for any significant pay rise in the next five years is going to be disappointed. Gardaí who will be allocated to a major centre of population will be the lucky ones as at least there will be plenty of activities to get involved in and use of a car wouldn't be essential. The poor one sent to the back of beyond will find it hard running a car so that they can get out of the hole every day off

I really think there are people on this forum trying to discourage people from applying in order to give themselves a better chance, don't be put off folks!

• Advertisement

All recruits will go to large cities/towns if you ask me. The people looking for transfers out of these cities back to a handy station near home will take any available spot. All they are waiting on is for the new recruits to come along and take there place. That's generally the way it works. Maybe not when there was accelerated recruitment because there was so many recruits they were put all over.

I really think there are people on this forum trying to discourage people from applying in order to give themselves a better chance, don't be put off folks!

Says you. If you are a garda what do you earn a year if you don't mind me asking.

thekopend wrote: »
    Says you. If you are a garda what do you earn a year if you don't mind me asking.

Not as much as I used too!

Not as much as I used too!

Well I would say it is a lot more than 23k before tax and all the rest. We have to give out about it somewhere, no one else will listen to me give out!

thekopend wrote: »
    Well I would say it is a lot more than 23k before tax and all the rest. We have to give out about it somewhere, no one else will listen to me give out!

Get in an we'll back ye all the way!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

I failed the Garda interview back in 2008. In the meantime I was lucky enough to get a different job in the public service.

For me to join the Gardai I would be giving up a lot and taking a pay cut, but I would do it in a heartbeat. It's all I've ever wanted to do and I've been waiting for this for years.

If you really want it then your going to have to accept the pay and conditions. There's nothing we can do about it.

I failed the Garda interview back in 2008. In the meantime I was lucky enough to get a different job in the public service.

For me to join the Gardai I would be giving up a lot and taking a pay cut, but I would do it in a heartbeat. It's all I've ever wanted to do and I've been waiting for this for years.

If you really want it then your going to have to accept the pay and conditions. There's nothing we can do about it.

Well there really is no choice in the short term. But the Gardaí have conceded a lot through Croke Park and Haddington road that they would never have conceded in the good times. Change of shift work hours leading to savings, cuts in pays, pension and overtime rates.
    Changes in the last Budget as regards tax relief for health insurance will mean further increases in the health insurance price.

However if people have confidence that in the mid term (5 years approx.) the economy will improve then they may be able to recoup some of the losses. If a prospective applicant can get over these first few years of hardship they might see better days.
    They will need realistic enthusiastic GRA officials though not the station big mouth elected because no one else wants the position. Ideally a person who thinks first before speaking would be suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭thestar

I would have said the same until I actually looked the figures, Dunno am I willing to enter a 'career' where I have to decide between having a car or going for a pint at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

thestar wrote: »
    I would have said the same until I actually looked the figures, Dunno am I willing to enter a 'career' where I have to decide between having a car or going for a pint at the weekend

I think you'll be making more important decisions like heat or food lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Its all cyclic. the downturn has led to hardship for all and it may not be as rewarding as it was previously.

however for every downturn, there must at some stage be an Upturn. Once this happens increments and increases will return as the union has considerable lobbying power.

same goes for teachers/nurses etc

Please read and please sign. I will be emailing this to all TDs in the country today. About time someone stood up for themselves.

http://www.activism.com/en_IE/petition/better-conditions-for-new-garda-recruits/47596

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Please read and please sign. I will be emailing this to all TDs in the country today. About time someone stood up for themselves.

http://www.activism.com/en_IE/petition/better-conditions-for-new-garda-recruits/47596

I honestly can't believe you are doing that.

Either (a) you haven't really thought this true or (b) you are trying to get other people to sign it with the view to fu#king them up.

I hope it's the first option.

Sending that is just insane. They way they'll look at it is, if you want it apply. If you don't, don't apply.

However I do agree with you. The pay is ridiculous.

mfergus wrote: »
    I honestly can't believe you are doing that.

Either (a) you haven't really thought this true or (b) you are trying to get other people to sign it with the view to fu#king them up.

I hope it's the first option.

Sending that is just insane. They way they'll look at it is, if you want it apply. If you don't, don't apply.

Ive been waiting since 2008 to join. I was on panel then and then it got scrapped. If i had of gotten in then id be on 10k more a year. Im going to stand up for myself. Too many people just accepting whats fckued at them in this country. No leaders at all.

Ive been waiting since 2008 to join. I was on panel then and then it got scrapped. If i had of gotten in then id be on 10k more a year. Im going to stand up for myself. Too many people just accepting whats fckued at them in this country. No leaders at all.

I respect your opinion. I just don't think it's a wise move. Sending a letter complaining about a job and then applying to join it.

I respect your opinion. I just don't think it's a wise move. Sending a letter complaining about a job and then applying to join it.

I havnt used my real name, and those signing it dont need to either. Im not that stupid to use my name and then apply!

• Advertisement

I havnt used my real name, and those signing it dont need to either. Im not that stupid to use my name and then apply!

Ah right. It makes more sense now. I thought you were giving your name!

Ah right. It makes more sense now. I thought you were giving your name!

Ive emailed it to all TDs in the country too (from a made up email address!)
    So who knows, someone might bring it up in the Dáil. I hope the opposition will anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

If you don't give your real name then they won't be taking you seriously. If you hand shatter a petition where devil, and a load of made up names have signed it, it'll go straight in the bin.

Ive emailed it to all TDs in the country too (from a made up email address!)
    So who knows, someone might bring it up in the Dáil. I hope the opposition will anyway.

Maybe if you suggested that the T.D.s be given a salary rise as well they may pay attention to it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

it'll go straight in the bin.

That's about the height of it.

Guys
    I'm leaving boards, deleting my account. Sorry if I offended anyone recently. I'm quite passionate about joining AGS, and I just want what's best for me and all looking to join.
    That passion gets the better of me sometimes. Hope to see some of you in templemore soon. Best of luck with the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

See you as a re-reg soon ! :pac:

See you as a re-reg soon ! :pac:

No it's best I stay away from this. Lots of negativity from myself and others and it leaves a bad taste. Best to just put the head down and concentrate on the application process without getting stressed reading stuff on here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Guys
    I'm leaving boards, deleting my account. Sorry if I offended anyone recently. I'm quite passionate about joining AGS, and I just want what's best for me and all looking to join.
    That passion gets the better of me sometimes. Hope to see some of you in templemore soon. Best of luck with the application.

Hi devil!

Good luck with everything! Hope it works out for you!

Canyon86

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Hitchroun

As there seems to be a fair deal of confusion regarding allowances I have decided to try and clear the matter up a bit.

After some digging I have located a document made available by the GRA with various information regarding allowances for new entrants. It is noted on the site as "Outcome of the Review of Allowances", it is dated near the end of 2012. I would say this would be the most reliable source in regards to the allowances for new entrants so far discussed in this thread. If someone has a document available that is more update to date on the matter please let me know.

I would assume it has gone mostly unnoticed as there have not been any new entrants to apply these new allowances to until recently. Below are the details.

Abolished:
    Rent Allowance
    Clerical Allowance
    Safety Advisor Allowance
    Promotion Exam Grant
    Analyst
    Motor Tech
    Change Management Allowance
    Radio Allowance
    Locomotion Allowances
    Bicycle Allowance
    Transport Allowance
    Exam Bonus-Inspector

Approved, but subject to review and/or Modification:
    Court Presenter
    Non-Public Duty
    Reward

Approved:
    Detective Allowance
    Ministers Pool
    Instructors Allowance
    Scene of Crime Allowance
    Juvenile Liaison/Community Relations/Crime Prevention
    Immigration Allowances
    Air Support Unit Allowance
    Collator Allowance
    Welfare Officer
    Dog Handler
    Living Allowance(Recruit)
    Water Unit
    Public Holiday
    Expert Allowance
    Boot Allowance
    Plain Clothes Allowance
    Uniform Cleaning Allowance

I hope this clears things up for some people on here.

Advertisement