Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment- The Waiting to Apply Room

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

All prison officers and civil servants have had to do 40 years service since 2008. There is no mention of the length of service for new recruits into the Guards...something that needs immediate clarification surely.

It is still 30 yr contract in AGS for new recruits. There has been plenty of talks reducing it to 5 yr contracts but it is not happening yet. I confirmed this with a GRA rep couple of weeks ago

Raider190 wrote: »
    More utter rubbish creating stories to put forward his point of view. This poster is not a member of AGS. He is constantly disseminating this bias against the Garda Reserve.

If you hold that belief then report it to the Mods. No point in posting on a thread.

Santa Cruz wrote: »

They are going to be exploited by Government and Garda management and abused by the public for shortcomings in the service due to lack of manpower, training and equipment.

Welcome to AGS. It's been going on for years and years

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

I wonder how many have applied at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

mycro89 wrote: »
    I wonder how many have applied at this stage?

Was thinking the same. If 30'000 odd had expressed interest over the years..how many did apply in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

ann.lewis wrote: »
    Was thinking the same. If 30'000 odd had expressed interest over the years..how many did apply in the end.

prob half that

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Scouser wrote: »
    prob half that

You think so ? I'd say a good amount applied but all these online tests will knock alot of people out. Probs only be 300 left ha !

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

ann.lewis wrote: »
    You think so ? I'd say a good amount applied but all these online tests will knock alot of people out. Probs only be 300 left ha !

yeah thats the idea.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Devil08

I'd say majority dropped out when they seen salary and that rent allowance is gone. About 10k worse off starting wage than if you joined last time!! Shocking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Devil08 wrote: »
    I'd say majority dropped out when they seen salary and that rent allowance is gone. About 10k worse off starting wage than if you joined last time!! Shocking!!

I agree mate, I suspect the competition won't be as big as they say. I have friends who wanted to join but can't afford to.. I also think most of the people who applied probably still don't realise the rubbish pay on offer..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

carzony wrote: »
    I agree mate, I suspect the competition won't be as big as they say. I have friends who wanted to join but can't afford to.. I also think most of the people who applied probably still don't realise the rubbish pay on offer..

I think that you are right with that. The people who are married with children and mortgages would be very irresponsible to risk financial insecurity just to be a Garda. There is no guarantees that a person will be allocated a station convenient to their present home. Will the spouse be willing to give up his/her job, move kids from school etc. to start again with her Garda spouse getting basic starter pay.
    When push comes to shove actual applicant numbers will be a lot lower than actual expressions of interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    I think that you are right with that. The people who are married with children and mortgages would be very irresponsible to risk financial insecurity just to be a Garda. There is no guarantees that a person will be allocated a station convenient to their present home. Will the spouse be willing to give up his/her job, move kids from school etc. to start again with her Garda spouse getting basic starter pay.
    When push comes to shove actual applicant numbers will be a lot lower than actual expressions of interests.

I'm sure there will still be a huge amount of applicants. The pay may not be great but the job still has a lot of positives.

Such as job security, increments, guaranteed wage every week etc.

It's way better then the dole obviously, and how many people are out there with degrees and they can't get a job? I know quite a few.

There may not be 30,000 applicants at all. The whole buzz of the competition has died down after the initial 3 or 4 days of the competition opening.

There will be quite a lot of people applying for the sake of it, who never really taught about the job before. I'm sure the people who really want to be Gardai, and have been preparing for years will have an advantage. Especially at the interview stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

I'm sure there will still be a huge amount of applicants. The pay may not be great but the job still has a lot of positives.

Such as job security, increments, guaranteed wage every week etc.

It's way better then the dole obviously, and how many people are out there with degrees and they can't get a job? I know quite a few.

There may not be 30,000 applicants at all. The whole buzz of the competition has died down after the initial 3 or 4 days of the competition opening.

There will be quite a lot of people applying for the sake of it, who never really taught about the job before. I'm sure the people who really want to be Gardai, and have been preparing for years will have an advantage. Especially at the interview stage.

I have spoken to 3 people over the holidays that all said they applied

not 1 of them ever showed any interest in becoming gardai before but all agreed that the permanent and pensionable nature of the job was attractive

then the deal breaker

not one of them had read the booklet and none of them realised it was 180quid a week for 8months.

all 3 have decided to withdraw! Just not doable with mortgages and kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

WilcoOut wrote: »

not 1 of them ever showed any interest in becoming gardai before but all agreed that the permanent and pensionable nature of the job was attractive

then the deal breaker

not one of them had read the booklet and none of them realised it was 180quid a week for 8months.

I know. We all knew pay would be bad but this is taking the p**s the conditions will be crap ie no rent allowance. It really is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

then the deal breaker

Not surprised really! Money is poor no doubt!

In terms if my own situation. I m trying to get in due to the job I always wanted to do, money is of course important, I m trying to build up savings to combat low wages and no rent allowance etc,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Not surprised really! Money is poor no doubt!

In terms if my own situation. I m trying to get in due to the job I always wanted to do, money is of course important, I m trying to build up savings to combat low wages and no rent allowance etc,

Im just stock piling so mrs wilco and juniors can still have a roof over their head and food in their bellys while im doin my thing in Tipp for 8months

for many even that wouldnt be doable

lots of financial pressure on so many

then the deal breaker

I know. We all knew pay would be bad but this is taking the p**s the conditions will be crap ie no rent allowance. It really is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Im just stock piling so mrs wilco and juniors can still have a roof over their head and food in their bellys while im doin my thing in Tipp for 8months

for many even that wouldnt be doable

lots of financial pressure on so many

Ideally A single person with less commitments would be in a better position to cope with the poor finances on offer however not all will be in this category,

Some will enter ago in debt and will struggle for first few years no doubt!

The rent allowance piisses me off the most. You will be working with guys getting 4k extra a year more than you untaxed for nothing. And because you are a new entrant you won't get it. Shocking. People will be doing the same job but the conditions for new entrants will cause serious disharmony in the workplace after a while

Worth starting a petition to show our disgust at the conditions?? Sending it off to Shatter before the first stage of testing commences??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Worth starting a petition to show our disgust at the conditions?? Sending it off to Shatter before the first stage of testing commences??

If you do, don't put your own name on it!

thekopend wrote: »

I wouldn't be afraid of that to be honest. I think we need to be heard. Someone needs to take a stance. I'll make a petition, you can use your boards name or a fake name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

How certain are people that rent allowance is gone for new recruits. Has it been confirmed by a legitimate source.

How certain are people that rent allowance is gone for new recruits. Has it been confirmed by a legitimate source.

I read it, I'll find the link now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

A petition won't make any difference.. The money is just not there to pay new garda. I think were lucky there's a recruitment at all to be honest. Then you have the huge number of people applying and then the mad people who actually still want to join..

carzony wrote: »
    A petition won't make any difference.. The money is just not there to pay new garda. I think were lucky there's a recruitment at all to be honest. Then you have the huge number of people applying and then the mad people who actually still want to join..

Plenty of money there , I wouldn't accept that rubbish. If they can't afford to pay gardai decent money then don't hire them at all. Making a mockery of the state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

People should apply anyway and go through the process, they can always turn it down at a any stage and there is nothing to stop people from leaving the job if they are in it. This goverment are clearly abusing applicants given the current jobs crisis. Fultime members will not be giving anymore to this government and those who do get in will be in the GRA and they will fight for them over the coming years. I expect them to get parity of pay within 5 years. Non members give out about GRA and so will reserves but in fairness to them when you are a member they represent you, why would they represent non members!

The rent allowance piisses me off the most. You will be working with guys getting 4k extra a year more than you untaxed for nothing. And because you are a new entrant you won't get it. Shocking. People will be doing the same job but the conditions for new entrants will cause serious disharmony in the workplace after a while
    Disharmony now you said it. Not only that fellow members will be in receipt of rent allowance they will get transfers ahead of new members. Will be very tough for a probationer from one of counties along western seaboard if they're based in Dublin which they inevitably will

• Advertisement

People should apply anyway and go through the process, they can always turn it down at a any stage and there is nothing to stop people from leaving the job if they are in it. This goverment are clearly abusing applicants given the current jobs crisis. Fultime members will not be giving anymore to this government and those who do get in will be in the GRA and they will fight for them over the coming years. I expect them to get parity of pay within 5 years. Non members give out about GRA and so will reserves but in fairness to them when you are a member they represent you, why would they represent non members!

Yes we need to represent ourselves at the moment, stand up, be heard, and try make a difference rather than just accept it. Shatter is a bolloxx though and the rest of the govn, they don't care about screwing their own people over. No morals at all

Advertisement