Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 NFL Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

It's a shame the Vikings need a QB amongst other things so badly. Imagine the luxury of being able to draft Clowney to put opposite Jared Allen, if the latter stays put.

vikes have had a serious line in the recent past with the williams wall and allen at his peak but it was favre who got them to the playoffs a top qb in that team with peterson will instantly make them a dangerous playoff team clowney would not

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

BREAKING: Teddy Bridgewater has been spotted returning a 'Things To Do In Jacksonville' book to a Louisville library. :pac:

Texans and Falcons the current #1 and #2 in the draft. Imagine Clowney and Watt lined up alongside each other :eek:

The Rams must be over the moon with how the Redskins season is going as they get Washington's first round pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Redskins fan over on Reddit on their current situation:
    It is terrible that the Redskins will be handing over such a high draft pick like this. But imagine this even worse scenario...the Redskins lose out and the Texans win one more game. The Texans have the Jaguars and the Titans left on their schedule so it is entirely possible. The Redskins could potentially be handing over the 1st overall pick to St. Louis.

This isn't rock bottom. This is worse than rock bottom. Combine all of this crap with the terrible cap penalties and this season is just an absolute dumpster fire. Not sure that any team has ever been in a worse position. Even the 0-16 Lions at least had the silver lining of 1st overall pick the following year.

I think moving forward this will be a case study and warning to other teams to never leverage 1st round draft picks so far into the future. Because you never know what will happen or where your team will be in the coming years.

RGIII is certainly a good player, but I am not sure that any player is worth such a potential cost. And he can go on to be a fantastic player and still be a labeled a bust or overrated. Simply because of how much a team gave up for him. Just look at Ricky Williams.

What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Redskins fan over on Reddit on their current situation:

This time a year ago it was the greatest move the Redskins ever made! The fluency of the NFL means this time next year it again could be the best!

Having said that the cap situation they had made giving away all those draft picks a very risky move!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Paully D wrote: »
    BREAKING: Teddy Bridgewater has been spotted returning a 'Things To Do In Jacksonville' book to a Louisville library. :pac:

Texans and Falcons the current #1 and #2 in the draft. Imagine Clowney and Watt lined up alongside each other :eek:

The Rams must be over the moon with how the Redskins season is going as they get Washington's first round pick.

don't get all the love for Clowney at all. Hes been below average this season but has had excuse after excuse. His play doesn't warrant a top 5 nor does his attitude.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him slide hes living on his reputation from last season tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

D3PO wrote: »
    don't get all the love for Clowney at all. Hes been below average this season but has had excuse after excuse. His play doesn't warrant a top 5 nor does his attitude.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him slide hes living on his reputation from last season tbh.

I agree that he has had a down year (he needs off-season surgery) & he had not been a "high motor" player but there is no way he slides.

People like Clowney don't grow on tree's

D3PO wrote: »

He'll be a top NFL player for a long time to come IMO.

I don't think he's been as bad as a lot of people are making out either. Every side he has faced has had the primary goal of keeping him as quite and doing everything to make that possible, yet he has still managed to be pretty disruptive.

Sure, it's clear to see he needs to get much fitter, but that will be sorted when he gets put through the rigours of an NFL training camp. His attitude has also been poor, but he's essentially the ''king'' at South Carolina if not college football. Not good I know, but again something that will be sorted very quickly in an NFL locker room. I guess he was always going to be a bit more cautious on the field this year considering a serious injury would cost him millions and he certainly isn't the first highly rated prospect to pack it up in his final year.

Yes, his stats this season have been poor, but it's a classic case of watching the tape of his career and not the box score. He's put together a body of work over 3 years that would have me absolutely astonished if he didn't go in the top 5.

I think anyone not needing a QB at the top end of the draft would be crazy to pass on him. IMO he goes #1 all day long if someone who won't go for a QB is picking first, such as the Falcons or Rams, ends up in that position.

Top 10 - Current Draft Order
    Houston Texans
    St. Louis Rams (WAS)*
    Jacksonville Jaguars*
    Atlanta Falcons
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Minnesota Vikings
    Oakland Raiders
    Cleveland Browns
    Buffalo Bills
    Pittsburgh Steelers

You could easily argue that Texans, Jaguars, Vikings & Browns will almost certainly look to spend a high pick on a QB.

Hard to know with the Rams but my best guess is Bradford gets another year but they draft a future back-up in the middle rounds.

If Schiano sticks around then Glennon will get another year, if not you'd never know.

McGloin has been very impressive so far for the Raiders & it would be fantastic for them if they don't need to spend their 1st rounder on a QB (either way they are in good hands with McKenzie & Allen)

So right now in the top 10, 7 teams could possibly be looking to draft a QB one way or the other. You can also add the Jets & Titans to that list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Teddy Bridgewater is the only 1st round QB. The rest have huge question marks. If Rams do get the 1st pick overall they could easily end up with another bounty of picks.

Teddy Bridgewater is the only 1st round QB. The rest have huge question marks. If Rams do get the 1st pick overall they could easily end up with another bounty of picks.

i disagree if Mariota comes out (although i don't think he will) he's definitely first round i dont think there are any question marks
    manziel will go first round and although its not a safe pick when it comes to a qb you have to take a risk sometimes
    id also be supprised if boyd fell out of the first
    on top of that when it comes to all the pre draft events we will get probably 2-3 others push themselves into first round contention

rg3 was looking like a late first round pick until the tail end of his final year in college every year you get players like that.

also the rams would probably take a qb themselves at this point.

additionally the very fact that they ended up with this pick will prevent teams from doing what the skins did again.

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    i disagree if Mariota comes out (although i don't think he will) he's definitely first round i dont think there are any question marks
    manziel will go first round and although its not a safe pick when it comes to a qb you have to take a risk sometimes
    id also be supprised if boyd fell out of the first
    on top of that when it comes to all the pre draft events we will get probably 2-3 others push themselves into first round contention

rg3 was looking like a late first round pick until the tail end of his final year in college every year you get players like that.

additionally the very fact that they ended up with this pick will prevent teams from doing what the skins did again.

Just to clarify what I meant. Bridgewater is the only QB who is first round talent. The rest aren't, some aren't even close. Come draft day I expect 3-4 QB's to go in the first depending on who declares but teams terribly over-draft QB's nearly every year.

I completely agree with that QB assessment and with your post following on from this. Bridgewater is streets ahead. I'd need to see a bit more of him than I have to be sure, but I think Carr is probably the next best bet and has Cleveland Browns written all over him.

I'd expect to see those two, Mariota (if he becomes eligible) and Manziel go in the first for sure. I'm really intrigued to see how Manziel does in the NFL. I wouldn't rule out someone taking a chance on Mettenberger of LSU early-ish in the draft either.

I don't think they will. They have around $17m a season invested in Bradford for the next two years and will probably stick with him for those anyway. In fairness he was playing pretty well before the injury (159-of-262 passes for 1,687 yards, 14 touchdowns and four interceptions) as they finally gave him a bit of help. Things change pretty quickly in the NFL I know, but only a few months ago the owner was saying Bradford is their guy and they may look to extend his deal to give some salary cap relief.

IMO they go Clowney with their Redskins first rounder if he's still on the board. If not, an OT like Jake Matthews.

They could easily take someone like McCarron in the later rounds though.

imanziel will go first round and although its not a safe pick when it comes to a qb you have to take a risk sometimes

sweet mother of god. Manziel will never go in the first round at all. Forget the fact hes not a prototypical pocket passer but his size alone will prevent him going in the first.

Bridgewater however isn't the only first round QB IMO. Boyd is also worthy of a first round pick.

Back to the Clowney discussion Ive seen a lot of tape of him this year sorry lads but I wouldn't be dropping a top 5 pick on him as id have too many concerns over his attitude, his injury and how easily hes been neutralized this season.

Im not as convinced that he will be this dominant NFL player that you all seem to be. Time will tell but for me he will be a good (starter for many seasons) but not great NFL player (Regular Pro Bowl type player)

Paully D wrote: »
    I, but I think Carr is probably the next best bet and has Cleveland Browns written all over him.

Carr is a huge risk and not worth of a first rounder as a result. If Fresno had made a BCS game and he could have been evaluated against a stellar defense it would have helped his stock but that out the window now.

Nobody wastes a first rounder on a prolific no AQ conference QB in a spread offense.

Lots of guys doing serious damage in the Non AQ's over the years and they have never had a sniff of the first round.

Case Keenum, Jimmy Chang, Colt Brennan, Kellen Moore to name a few

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Will be interested to see where the titans go.

A lot depends on Munch and whether he stays, I think the GM stays so that means Locker will stay and a 1st rounder wont be used on a QB.

I think we'd go MLB, HB and then probably a rookie RT.

Wimbley will be gone so if Allen hits FA i could see us using that cash to get him so not going DE in the draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I'm seeing multiple mock drafts giving Marquise Lee to the Ravens

For sure they could use another receiver across from Torrey Smith, sounds appealing. Jacoby Jones unlikely to be back next year.

I don't watch college football though so couldn't say anything about Lee

Assuming they lock up Eugene Monroe at left tackle with a long term contract I've no objections to a stud WR as the first round pick

mikemac1 wrote: »
    I'm seeing multiple mock drafts giving Marquise Lee to the Ravens

For sure they could use another receiver across from Torrey Smith, sounds appealing. Jacoby Jones unlikely to be back next year.

I don't watch college football though so couldn't say anything about Lee

Assuming they lock up Eugene Monroe at left tackle with a long term contract I've no objections to a stud WR as the first round pick

Lee is the business !! Not been fantastic this year but that's more down to the Kiffin debacle than Lee himself.

For me hes got all the tools to be an elite NFL receiver. That said I don't think the Ravens are best served drafting a receiver. I think Smith & Marlon Brown could develop into a great tandem I think there better served drafting elsewhere.

But yeah Lee is elite we don't really need a receiver at the Eagles. Jackson & im sure either Cooper or Maclin will be resigned but somebody is gonna get a franchise guy with Lee IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Ravens have a dire need on the offensive line. I'm not a fan of the run game but 3 yards per carry is a disgrace.

who do ye think will be selected first lads watkins or lee.

watkins seems to be shooting up draft boards this year.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Ravens have a dire need on the offensive line. I'm not a fan of the run game but 3 yards per carry is a disgrace.

i dont know what the ravens line has been like but if its tackles ye need i dont think theres been a better year for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hard to tell what the Giants will do here. Need a Center and a Guard at least on the OL. Need to resign Beason and get in another LB, probably and OLB.

Wilson may never be right again, so a RB is in order, for sure. Then you look at our secondary, and I could certainly see a case made for another CB.

Can also see a WR and a TE being drafted too, but not sure as to how high a pick Giants will look to spend there. Nicks will likely be gone, and the likes of Murphy and Jernigan aren't exactly reliable. Can only see one of them remain due to knowing the system, but then again, Gilbride may well be gone. Actually, a change in Offensive Coordinator will likely have an affect on the outcome here.

A few weeks back I would have said we absolutely would need to put our first round pick to a Linebacker, but now I'm not so sure that we will. Reese has never really seen it as being as important as the front 4, and with Beason solidifying that area since his signings, I can see us waiting till 2nd/3rd before drafting.

who do ye think will be selected first lads watkins or lee.

watkins seems to be shooting up draft boards this year.

Lee over Watkins for me. Lee is the best receiver I've seen in the college game since AJ Green and Id expect he will deliver on that potential.

Whats the story with Mike Evans ? Ive not seen enough of him to evaluate him but his numbers this year have been sick and hes playing an SEC schedule so its not like the DB's are cupcakes.

Anybody that can catch 279 yards & 1 TD versus Alabama and 287 yards and 4tds versus Auburn in the same season is certainly a big time player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Lee for me also.

Would love if he ended up in Buffalo. Not that I think he will, but would just be awesome to see himself and Robert Woods play for the same high school, college and pro team.

Lee for me also.

Would love if he ended up in Buffalo. Not that I think he will, but would just be awesome to see himself and Robert Woods play for the same high school, college and pro team.

They were bigtime together at USC although Lee was always the better prospect IMO. they would need somebody capable of throwing the ball to them though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

According to Univ. of Oregon, Mariota going back to school. Won't be entering draft until 2015. Great news for all this years QB's.

The Bogman wrote: »
    According to Univ. of Oregon, Mariota going back to school. Won't be entering draft until 2015. Great news for all this years QB's.

Severe dent to teams looking to draft a QB. I wonder will this impact on Brett Hundley deciding to declare or not.

I would rank the QB's at the moment (not saying they would be drafted in this order)
    1. Bridgewater
    2. Carr
    3. Boyd
    4. McCarron
    5. Mettenberger
    6. Manziel

If Hundley declared now he would certainly be in the running with Carr & Boyd to be the number 2.

Mariota needed to go back to college. Best decision he could have made.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Severe dent to teams looking to draft a QB. I wonder will this impact on Brett Hundley deciding to declare or not.

I would rank the QB's at the moment (not saying they would be drafted in this order)
    1. Bridgewater
    2. Carr
    3. Boyd
    4. McCarron
    5. Mettenberger
    6. Manziel

If Hundley declared now he would certainly be in the running with Carr & Boyd to be the number 2.

for me id see them go like this.

Bridgewater
    Boyd
    McCarron
    Carr
    Mettenberger (His ACL injury may see him drop though)
    Manziel

Outside of Bridgewater and to a lesser extent Boyd though Im not overly excited about the prospects of any of the QBs for a long term successful NFL career

• Registered Users Posts: 37,550 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lee for me also.

Are you still a Patriots fan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,550 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

For me Derek Carr is the best of the bunch this year.

Advertisement