Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Applicants Thread 2013

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SolitaireX

SDCards wrote: »
    Hmm. I worked with her for over almost a year and can always go back to her. I also did an observership with a Neonatologist at NMH in Dublin. I rang up TCD and they said the more relevant the voluntary/work experience is to the field, the better your points in the assessment. Is it worth going after the HCA FETAC course? :/

Or should I just take my Poland offer and get the heck outta here? >.>

Sounds like you have a lot of volunteer work under your belt to be honest, TCD bases its decision primarily on volunteering from what I've seen, all of the others look at the HPAT and past academic history as well as volunteering.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RAnnaC

SDCards wrote: »
    Hmm. I worked with her for over almost a year and can always go back to her. I also did an observership with a Neonatologist at NMH in Dublin. I rang up TCD and they said the more relevant the voluntary/work experience is to the field, the better your points in the assessment. Is it worth going after the HCA FETAC course? :/

Or should I just take my Poland offer and get the heck outta here? >.>

I would just get volunteering now but you definitely sound like you're on the right track. I am starting in RCSI this year as a mature student having spent the last year trying to cram in as much voluntary work as possible. I have a science background anyway but couldn't get any medical work experience.

I volunteered once a week in a local centre for adults with learning disabilities and only recently started volunteering in temple street as a play assistant in the A&E department.
    I hadn't been doing any of this for months either but they must have seen something in me in the interview that showed my determination and dedication to the career.

I'd advise you get onto volunteer.ie, I found them brilliant. THere's so much to do in your local area for any charities you might be interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SDCards

Thanks for all your help guys! I've decided to just not waste any more time trying. A medical degree is still a medical degree so long as it is in all the major directories accepted worldwide... I'm gonna chance it with the Warsaw route I think and be done in 4 years' time. I got the graduate entry place there. All the best to everyone going forward! :)

Is anyone on here starting in RCSI in three weeks? I have access to the moodle page but I think I was given access early!

I've had access for a few of weeks since I got the mature offer. You can't access everything yet, you need passwords that I assume the lecturers give out, haven't gone through everything but it seems pretty good from what I've seen.

• Advertisement

SolitaireX wrote: »
    I've had access for a few of weeks since I got the mature offer. You can't access everything yet, you need passwords that I assume the lecturers give out, haven't gone through everything but it seems pretty good from what I've seen.

Hi solitairex, I'm on it too! Wasn't sure had there been a mix up because I was initially out into the GEP group on the forum. I was talking to Celeste a few weeks ago and she said try and get the matures chatting on that and meet up before you start so you know who everyone is. Is anyone else on this board starting? Hope you're all set!

RAnnaC wrote: »
    Hi solitairex, I'm on it too! Wasn't sure had there been a mix up because I was initially out into the GEP group on the forum. I was talking to Celeste a few weeks ago and she said try and get the matures chatting on that and meet up before you start so you know who everyone is. Is anyone else on this board starting? Hope you're all set!

Just had a look back through this thread to see who else was offered a place in RCSI, other that the two of us there was homegriffin, seekaay, and dtfo. I think there were a few on the waiting list too but they didn't post if they received an offer since. So that's 5 at least on boards in RCSI.

I was a waiting list person but got a place at the end of july. So we have a few at least, I thought everyone would be talking on the forum by now! It's getting close. Are you dublin-based or will you be moving to Dublin before you start?

Dublin based for the last eleven or so years, how about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tribex

I hope you don't mind me asking for advice since you guys have all been through it already. I'm 35 and have been self employed in the health food supplement industry for the past 12 years so no real relevant medical experience. My leaving cert many years ago wasn't great but I did do higher level biology. Depending on what I read I've either no chance at all or a remote possibility of success.

Here's what I think I need to do if I'm going to apply:
    Volenteer - I have some experience but what would be the best to do now for 2014 application? I've read some people are doing an EMT course??
    LC - I have to sit Biology and Physics externally - Anything else I need to sit? Will the results of this be out on time for 2014 application?
    HPAT - with enough work I should do well at this as I tend to score high in these type of tests. Whats the best prep course?

Also do you guys know how many hours/days per week year 1 med in TCD consists of? Just wondering if I'd be able to work part time too if I was lucky enough to get in.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

tribex wrote: »
    I hope you don't mind me asking for advice since you guys have all been through it already. I'm 35 and have been self employed in the health food supplement industry for the past 12 years so no real relevant medical experience. My leaving cert many years ago wasn't great but I did do higher level biology. Depending on what I read I've either no chance at all or a remote possibility of success.

Volenteer - I have some experience but what would be the best to do now for 2014 application? I've read some people are doing an EMT course??
    LC - I have to sit Biology and Physics externally - Anything else I need to sit? Will the results of this be out on time for 2014 application?
    HPAT - with enough work I should do well at this as I tend to score high in these type of tests. Whats the best prep course?

Also do you guys know how many hours/days per week year 1 med in TCD consists of? Just wondering if I'd be able to work part time too if I was lucky enough to get in.

You would be better off doing Biology and Chemistry than doing Physics imho. UCC requires chemistry plus one other science iirc. And chemistry harder to pick up. Physics not relevant.

They can make you an offer dependent on you getting a certain grade. Doing two LC subjects shows commitment.

If you can spend time with your GP maybe? I didn't have a lot of medically relevant volunteering, but had other stuff, so I think showing you are willing to get involved, give of your time and advocate for others helps. Can be very hard if non medical to get much experience there. Have you looked into volunteering in hospital? Need garda vetting and that can take a bit of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Also do you guys know how many hours/days per week year 1 med in TCD consists of?

If anyone has a timetable on hand or anything I'd really love to know what the hours are like as well I've tried looking up one but can't find one anywhere!

If you're doing the LC you need to sit the full exam, doing two subjects shows some commitment but you can be guaranteed that there are people going back to sit the full exam. You'll need to sit English, Irish, Maths and another language. Doing the full exam also puts you in the running for the school leaver places, raising the number of places you're competing for from about 17-18 to around 600. As for physics Vs Chemistry, do whatever you think you'll do better at.

Going for mature places you do need some sort of volunteering (TCD seem to place a great deal of importance on Volunteering and relevant life experiences etc. over academic achievement eg: HPAT, degrees etc). You don't need to become an EMT, but first aid is a good way to go as you can volunteer with a number of organisations and get some patient contact.

For the HPAT the best prep material is that provided by ACER, that being said the more practice you get the better so any of the prep courses will have benefits (I did the one in the Institute as this is where I repeated the leaving, if you've never sat the HPAT the techniques taught will be helpful).

Other than this the best advice I could give is to start preparing any and all documents you will need for your application (Personal statement, transcripts from previous degrees etc). Good luck with your application.

Thank you for your replies guys, its much appreciated.
    You would be better off doing Biology and Chemistry than doing Physics imho
    This makes sense but since I did Physics already in year 1 Computer Science I think it would be a lot easier for me to get an A or B in this rather than start from scratch with Chemistry.
    Its been really hard to get actual clinical experience, I will be shadowing some local GP's and hope to do the same in a hospital setting but that would only amount to a few days overall. Most volunteer work seems to be nowhere near patients or doctors. I am doing some work in a drug rehab though so hopefully that will help?
    If you're doing the LC you need to sit the full exam
    This isn't an option for me as I'm married with kids and self employed. I can do the two subjects in my own time and think I can get an A or B, I can volunteer part time, do the shadow days and I can do the prep work for the HPAT but wouldn't be able to do the whole LC especially since I want to apply for 2014. I don't think I could realistically get the perfect score required for applying via the points route in such a short time and can't afford to take 2 years out to do it in case I still don't get in.

Thanks again for the advice, anything else you can think of would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Billiethepup

Thank you for your replies guys, its much appreciated.
    This makes sense but since I did Physics already in year 1 Computer Science I think it would be a lot easier for me to get an A or B in this rather than start from scratch with Chemistry.
    Its been really hard to get actual clinical experience, I will be shadowing some local GP's and hope to do the same in a hospital setting but that would only amount to a few days overall. Most volunteer work seems to be nowhere near patients or doctors. I am doing some work in a drug rehab though so hopefully that will help?

This isn't an option for me as I'm married with kids and self employed. I can do the two subjects in my own time and think I can get an A or B, I can volunteer part time, do the shadow days and I can do the prep work for the HPAT but wouldn't be able to do the whole LC especially since I want to apply for 2014. I don't think I could realistically get the perfect score required for applying via the points route in such a short time and can't afford to take 2 years out to do it in case I still don't get in.

Thanks again for the advice, anything else you can think of would be much appreciated.

If your extremely tight on time its worth thinking seriously about what your looking to get a place in... med school isn't exactly a walk in the park and has a massive time commitment.

Doing the LC again is horrible, and its a complete sacrifice of 9months of your life, however it gives you the best possible chance of entry. As the others already said, doing 2 subjects is fine but the reality is that the person being interviewed before/after you, competing for the same place, is likely repeating the entire LC.

Best of luck with it

If your extremely tight on time its worth thinking seriously about what your looking to get a place in... med school isn't exactly a walk in the park and has a massive time commitment.

Doing the LC again is horrible, and its a complete sacrifice of 9months of your life, however it gives you the best possible chance of entry. As the others already said, doing 2 subjects is fine but the reality is that the person being interviewed before/after you, competing for the same place, is likely repeating the entire LC.

Best of luck with it

Its not so much about being completely stuck for time as about making sure all plans are covered when I have the responsibility of a family to provide for. I doubt I'll get in but think its worth giving it a good try but I can't drop everything to do it as would be required to repeat the full LC. Of course if I was to get in my business would be dropped or at least cut to part time. Its more a risk management thing.

Out of curiosity do most people repeat the full LC when applying via the mature student route? I've been reading tons of posts like this and I didn't get the impression the majority were?

Thanks again, lots to think about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Traderdc

Just a follow up question on the volunteering as it isn't entirely clear to me: It seems that it is very difficult to get volunteering work in an actual clinical setting, if that is the case, what is the best alternative? I am thinking first aid with the St. John's ambulance or similar, Simon community work with the homeless - anything else??

Any help here is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Traderdc wrote: »
    Just a follow up question on the volunteering as it isn't entirely clear to me: It seems that it is very difficult to get volunteering work in an actual clinical setting, if that is the case, what is the best alternative? I am thinking first aid with the St. John's ambulance or similar, Simon community work with the homeless - anything else??

Any help here is much appreciated.

Today is October 24th - you have to have application in by end of January. So you pretty much have 3 months to organise it and get the experience. Christmas could make things either easier (volunteer/charity) or harder (clinical). Have you made any enquiries yet, or based it on comments in this thread? Yes clinical can be hard to arrange, but it should be possible.

And you may have to arrange garda vetting which takes time. And your garda vetting is specific for each application, so you can't just get vetted and assume it applies across the board.

Have you asked your/a local GP?

My voluntary experience was not clinical but I guess it showed that I made an effort and gave of my time to others over a number of years. Have you been on committees, etc. in college, sports clubs/societies.

Others I have spoken to have heaps of clinical experience. Have you spoken to the mature students officers, they may be able to give guidance as they are involved in the actual process.

Quick question, do most or all of you guys that received offers have some form of previous degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

Quick question, do most or all of you guys that received offers have some form of previous degree?

Most do , but I don't and I think theres another guy in the year ahead that doesn't

• Advertisement

dtfo wrote: »
    Most do , but I don't and I think theres another guy in the year ahead that doesn't

Thanks for the reply. So what do you think you guys had that got you in without the degree? Also where did you get offered? Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 adamdunne01

Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding the Mature Entry Process to Medicine. For those who did not have or do Chemistry did you go back and repeat it within a year in your own time and if so how did you find it?

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

Adam please stop posting the same posts in multiple threads, and unnecessarily dragging up old threads.

To answer your question: Yes most people sit chemistry in one year. It's very doable, get grinds if you feel you'll need them. Do all questions from exam papers leading up to June. You will also need biology if you haven't it already. Hope that answers your question :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

So I am aware there were many mature applicants repeating LC this year and or applying with their already amazing leaving cert. Are there many of you who got places yesterday? And if so, congrats and where are you going?

Advertisement