Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

C103 were saying that the Cork manager's job is down to two men. I'd say either would have been very happy with the quality of the display that both teams put on today!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Archer3083 wrote: »
    C103 were saying that the Cork manager's job is down to two men. I'd say either would have been very happy with the quality of the display that both teams put on today!

Cleary ,cuthbhert?they did say when it would be finalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Boots234

What happened Cahalane? Crokes are looking unstoppable at the moment

Boots234 wrote: »
    What happened Cahalane? Crokes are looking unstoppable at the moment

Thats why it would be great to beat them.Down in killarney do.

Great exposure for man of the match hurley and collins.

A hip operation ,out for six to seven months.Both hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Archer3083

C103 said it was down to Cleary and Cuthbert. They said it would be finalised in the next 10 days. They said that both men had been in discussions with the CCB. I don't know how accurate their souces are but it all seemed to be believable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Delighted kanturk won,but you would feel for Fermoy,terrfic display ,and you were right,it was tight.A fine crowd,in a great day hurling.Their can only be one winner.

Nash sum free to win it in the end.Unreal.Nash is such a star,hurling ,he is becoming the main attention at these games.

I thought Lorchan was very good,and walsh 3 nice scores aprox,faded at times but defo could add to cork.Cant wait for the final,five intercounty players ,all star players in each codes for Cork.

Good day for North cork.In Blarney Newtown won the County.

Their u 16 team won a terrfic game of hurling.Would have liked to be their, underage games are good ,just pure hurling.

Newtown beat an excellent Aghada 2-15 to 2-14.
    Talking to a lad at it,it was meant to be top quality on both teams,even on a poor ptich in blarney.

Donnacha Sheehan captain,Tim O Mahony and Darragh Guiney among others were meant to be excellent.

That is two countys in a few weeks for Newtown.

Midelton in fairness stood up to the task today.Lehane to get 1-13 out of their 2-18 sum scoring.Nagle was meant to be outstanding.Surely a recall to the Cork panel,if the form keeps up,espiceally if kenny and murphy go next year.

Na piarsaigh be a good game.Gardiner is still struggling with injury,gould hamstring trouble,for the last while.

They need those to be fully fit.Gould would be a huge loss,considering at least two of their forwards are converted backs,Buckley and O Rourke.

I look forward to looking at Ian Mcdonnell again.He is very wristy,fast hands,the worry is like cian mac,not great mobility.Caught some great ball the last day.

Apparently he is working very hard on the fitness.Time will tell.

Sars had a good win.They will miss O 'Sullivan if they get to the final,more so if they have to mark lehane.

Youghal fair play to them ,and the work they done,a lot of that started under Peter -Quelly.Delighted for Cooper, and Desmond who both deserved a bit of luck,but its hard to nt feel for Timmy Mac in particular.

Cant wait for Tuesday night and Fermoy and mallow.

Would not have thought they would be in the final but having seen the intermediate team today,a well coached team with denis ring.

He is with the u21 team.

Weather is great for october ,i hope it is dry in kildorrerry.

The motion for change of the league is just becoming more a joke,every day.

They refused to meet wexford offaly andtfriday,as they knew they were furious.

Now in a bid to shut up the outrage,they decide they will all take part in two groups,all the fuss,just to suit cork.

Its a definite ,cork will be in the top level next year.Wexford and offaly be happy now.The danger is they will change it again two years to the old way.

What a comic this story is becoming.

Making a mountain out of a mole hill,is this scenario.They should of reviewed it next year,save all the controversy.

Good to hear Walsh played quite well. I actually didn't think Nagle stood out for Midleton... The 2 O'Mahonys were good, Haughney was good at mid-field and obviously Lehane was different class. But the team performance was good. I wouldn't be critical of any of them.

Tough battle now against Na Piarsaigh.

Good to hear Walsh played quite well. I actually didn't think Nagle stood out for Midleton... The 2 O'Mahonys were good, Haughney was good at mid-field and obviously Lehane was different class. But the team performance was good. I wouldn't be critical of any of them.

Tough battle now against Na Piarsaigh.
    Bud how was he?

Where did patrick o mahony play

Murray bishoptown?

Presume shane o neill full?fault for any goals?

Fair play to lehane

Archer3083 wrote: »
    C103 said it was down to Cleary and Cuthbert. They said it would be finalised in the next 10 days. They said that both men had been in discussions with the CCB. I don't know how accurate their souces are but it all seemed to be believable.

Yeah they were only ever two in contention.Cleary i tgt had ruled himself out.Love him to get it ,but i be amazed cuthbhert a frank man didnt.

Milford 5-17 Ballincolig 7.

Fair play to them,and Amanda Geary.

I heard more last night that Ger cunnigham is going to limerick.It seems to be taking momentum at the moment.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Thats why it would be great to beat them.Down in killarney do.

Great exposure for man of the match hurley and collins.

A hip operation ,out for six to seven months.Both hips.

Some pain barrier to go through - a fracture in one hip and torn cartilage in the other
    Milford 5-17 Ballincolig 7.

Fair play to them,and Amanda Geary.

Was always going to be a Milford win, was hoping that it wouldn't be a hammering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭Gerry91

I'll be in Cork next week Thinkstoomuch presume the semis are on Sat? What are the matchups again? Should be good!

Hurley will be a huge player for ye next year in football

What do ye make of the two football manager contenders?

I'd worry about ye next year ye have the players!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Fair play to the Haven ,superb win.A credit to Cork football.A lot of crticics unhappy the Haven won,most make their victory sweeter.

Best of luck to them against Dr crokes.

Cahalane will be a huge loss ,against the Gooch.

Great win. Nemo are usually the benchmark, and to beat them 2 in the championship is proof thatvwe are deserving winners. Last year our style wasn't great to watch. but this year the Haven played some great stuff, nemo played total football too and there was no cynical stuff. The critics like aristocrats (nemo). Glad we could rub them up the wrong way.

With or without Cahalane I wouldn't hold out much hope Dr. Crokes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Next Sunday at 2pm it's Sars v Ballymartyle, 4pm it's Na Piarsaigh V Midleton.

First game should be interesting but I think the 'real' match will be at 4. This could be a cracker. Gardner is a bit of a doubt but I'm sure that he'll start in a very formidable half back line. This will be where the game will be won and lost. My predictions - Midleton should get through I reckon to play Sars and Midleton to win the final.

Delighted for Clyda and Haven today - but in particular Clyda, they've finally got to the promised land after a few bad years at the doorstep.
    A real pity Haven will be missing Cahalane but they should give Crokes a good rattle.

Great win. Nemo are usually the benchmark, and to beat them 2 in the championship is proof thatvwe are deserving winners. Last year our style wasn't great to watch. but this year the Haven played some great stuff, nemo played total football too and there was no cynical stuff. The critics like aristocrats (nemo). Glad we could rub them up the wrong way.

With or without Cahalane I wouldn't hold out much hope Dr. Crokes.

Cngrats kid ..a lot have this view,wide of the mark that haven are arrogant and poach players.

You must of been pleasantly suprised with Clydas win ,in some style:-o
    I wouldnt think haven do anything other clubs havent dne with managers or players and i dnt mind arrogance,once u back up it with a win.

To win two countys, get 3 final,only team beat ye cork ,was a half cork kerry team ,two years ago.

So yere well entitled to gloat.

Enjoy what im sure be a long night.
    Fair play to ye,fifth title.I dont mind nemo and like colin corkery,o brien but they have won enough compared to ye.

This is good for young cork players like hurley ,collins.

Whats the talk down yere way regards cleary?is he availble again for cork.

For what he dne with u21 team,deserves a two year team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Whats the talk down yere way regards cleary?is he availble again for cork.

For what he dne with u21 team,deserves a two year team.

Wasn't there talk of him ruling himself out - family reasons - the board probably want it to seem like there was competition to Frank's main man.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Next Sunday at 2pm it's Sars v Ballymartyle, 4pm it's Na Piarsaigh V Midleton.

First game should be interesting but I think the 'real' match will be at 4. This could be a cracker. Gardner is a bit of a doubt but I'm sure that he'll start in a very formidable half back line. This will be where the game will be won and lost. My predictions - Midleton should get through I reckon to play Sars and Midleton to win the final.

Delighted for Clyda and Haven today - but in particular Clyda, they've finally got to the promised land after a few bad years at the doorstep.
    A real pity Haven will be missing Cahalane but they should give Crokes a good rattle.

yeah sars should beat ballymartle.

Having said that if ,mccarthy is put on joe barry and he is isolated he could have too much pace.

When you c ,ray ryan going back to corner back,it tells its own story.

Rickard cahalane is a talent,bt kearney expierence could edge it.

And corry is a good man to win ball but ryan should keep him quiet.Ryan lacks pace,but corry isnt fast either.

Like u say,gardiner will have to be fit,but Gould also.

I think na piarsaigh have a huge chance if its a slow,tempo,dog fight.Midelton won well yeasterday,credit due,but my reservations remain if its close with ten to go will Haughney,Bud, and ryan stand tall or go missing.

Weather could have a bearing.Na piarsaigh want a wet ,day.If its wet ,and ground is soft,gardiner,sean og ,joyce could dominate that midelton half forward line,as every one of that unit,relish ,physicality,good under the high ball,and can hurl of both sides.

The only midelton player,i feel confident,to physically and mentally take the fight to them is lehane.Well able to win hes own ball.The others are fine on their day,its when they have a bad day,will they stick it out.

If its dry,and hard ground,he has the pace to burn sean og.Joyce will have to mark him if its dry.Gardiner hasnt the pace.

Ronan macgregor ,is as good as club player their is.

Up front where na piarsiagh are weak,o rourke playing rubgy i think sat night,but he is nt free scoring.

Buckley is a corner back by nature.

Mcdonnell could cause them problems,and gould and sullivan will be their main men.

A shoot out ,only one winner, but if its low scoring,cd be close .

Na piarsaigh are well coached by guiheen,but also joe o leary ,a great hurling man,is working in the back ground with them.Na piarsaigh,are fear less,confident ,but wont be put of by midelton.

A good mix of youth and expierence with them.

And gardiner if fit,is out to prove a point.On hes day,superb as ever.

I have a feeling o rourke will mark nagle,just to stop him dominating.

Clyda were superb.Their a superb club.Fully deserve it.

Will do cork proud no matter who in kerry the play.Always committed,and with winter now in,their style is suited to it.

This win will bring them on hughely.

Haven can play defensive or attack minded so they will rattle crokes.

I dnt buy that any club team is unbeatable.Home advantage is hughe to them though.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Wasn't there talk of him ruling himself out - family reasons - the board probably want it to seem like there was competition to Frank's main man.
    Yeah thats true.

If cleary wants job be interesting.Wont go down well to overrule cleary,considering cleary better record,expierence,club and county.If cleary doesnt want it,cuthbhert the man,bt if cleary wants it,has to get it.

Some pain barrier to go through - a fracture in one hip and torn cartilage in the other

Was always going to be a Milford win, was hoping that it wouldn't be a hammering
    Yeah ,no real gain a hammering.

Bad wknd cronins,pa and denise.

Are milford good enough to win Munster.?

A hip op at 21, is crazy.

Young players are being burned out .

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Yeah ,no real gain a hammering.

Bad wknd cronins,pa and denise.

Are milford good enough to win Munster.?

A hip op at 21, is crazy.

Young players are being burned out .

Fact that he had a fracture in it and that needs to be fixed - it is a case of burnout, but the problem with the other hip probably caused the other one, and playing through it for so long doesn't help the recovery time the other side. Cartilage can be a very tricky one

Fact that he had a fracture in it and that needs to be fixed - it is a case of burnout, but the problem with the other hip probably caused the other one, and playing through it for so long doesn't help the recovery time the other side. Cartilage can be a very tricky one

He had to have op ,i heard now or hed be crippled .

Seems be a lot of the footballers,even ladies that have these injuries knees,cruiciates ,hips etc.

Am i wrong in saying the camoige team havent sufferd the same fate,in as many injured.

Murphy and pauide in the hurling suffered broken fractures,more rare freak injuries.

The amount of our intercounty footballers men and women cork had injured over the years is hughe.

• Advertisement

Its easy to see burnout ,in dual players like damien cahalane.The amount of games he played at u21 hurling for club and county in football and hurling,then add in senior for cork and the haven and hurling for the barrs,he has played a lot.

Trevor horgan is a classic example.

Playing Harty with Hamilton ,played a county final u21 team,sunday,then hurling wednesday a schools game.
    Up to a fw wks ago he played in a minor final,then u 21 semi.

Next year he could be n both u21 panels.He got injured for the waterford game last year,big loss.

Michael cahalane is similar.I presume they will both at schools level also.

He played wed,trial u 21 footballers sat, be dual u21 this year club and county.Add in club games.

I think this dual code status at underage needs to be looked at.A lot these guys will play senior next year for the club,as their star players.Id nearly ,if injury prone,prefer they picked one code.

Their is no easy soloution.

Remember brian cococran played something like 6 game in a ten day turn around or around that when he was underage and said he was exahusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

I'm just reading the excellent club section in today's Examiner here and I'm very confused.

On one page, I read about Anthony Nash's heroics for Kanturk in the IHC semi-final and it says they will meet Eire Og in the final later this month. Turn the page and I find a big report about Youghal's win in the Premier IHC final on Saturday and how they will be playing senior hurling next year.

Are there two separate IHCs in Cork and do they both provide promotion to Senior? If not, what was the point of the Kanturk/Fermoy game? Also, which team will represent Cork in the Munster IHC?

All explanations gratefully received!

Two grades, premier intermediate and intermediate. Premier intermediate is promotion to senior, and intermediate promotes to premier intermediate

Two grades, premier intermediate and intermediate. Premier intermediate is promotion to senior, and intermediate promotes to premier intermediate

Thanks for that. Is there also a Junior grade? If so, that would then be the 4th grade rather than the 3rd in other counties. Who represents Cork in the All Ireland Club Junior Championship?

Junior winners afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Boots234

Martin567 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Is there also a Junior grade? If so, that would then be the 4th grade rather than the 3rd in other counties. Who represents Cork in the All Ireland Club Junior Championship?

For the Junior championship the county is divided into 8 separate divisions which run their own championship between their respective junior clubs. The winners of each division go into a county championship with the overall winner going up to intermediate and representing Cork in the Munster championship

For the Junior championship the county is divided into 8 separate divisions which run their own championship between their respective junior clubs. The winners of each division go into a county championship with the overall winner going up to intermediate and representing Cork in the Munster championship

Thanks. Just goes to show how many clubs are in Co Cork. It was news to me to discover that Junior is actually the fourth grade rather than the third. A bit unfortunate for the winners of the third grade competition that they don't get to represent their county at all in any national competition.

Newtown or the rockies prob win the county junior.

Newtown play kilbrin in buttevant sat at 3 ,and then the imokilly winners .Even with the Egans and thomas reilly,newtown should win.

Sars beat midelton weeknd,and play castlemartyr ,minus barry lawton in the East cork final.They still have Brian.

No love lost between sars and newtown should they meet.

The winners,you would expect sars to win that play Newtown.

Blackrock havent played in a month but should beat Grenagh even with tom kenny sat.

Newtown and a blackrock final is likey.But then you never know.

Blackrock have fergal ryan and sherlock , and fergals ryan son,at corner back.Newtown have the o connors twins..

Blackrock have a good spine to the team,sherlock imperious at centre back,good enough to make most senior club teams.
    Fergal ryan is full forward.Gives them a target,an outlet.

And brian o keoffe,corner forward.A super player,at senior in he day, a fab minor and u21 with cork goals 95 minor final and u21 all ireland.

Got a run with cork,but never persisted him at senior.Unsure why.A tough corner forward,well able to take punishment,but lovely wrists,and a real goal getter.

Have david o Shea ,at centre forward.He is deadly from placed balls within 50 yards.

And a superb sideline cut.Prob up their with David Drake ,carrigaline terms of techinque ,and conor lehane.Blackrock have like newtown,but unlike many of the teams left,3 or four really standout players.

Newtown are well coached junior team,by finbarr reidy,and have being played a serious tough challenge matches lately,played a team from clare.

They could go a long way.
    They have jc coughlan,eric o connor from the u21 team also.
    North cork have done well over the years with this Grade,Chareville getting to an all ireland final to loose by a point,fermoy and kildorrey have also won it .

Bar the problems at senior ,which is sad for a wonderful hurling club,Newtowm are flying down their.U15 in a final also.

Speaking of the rockies, their in to the county u21 semi with newcestown.Coached by wayne sherlock.O keoffe and stephen murphy n fire,murphy is a fine talent,im sure hes u 21 next year , i think.

Blackrock and Newtown be a great junior final.A dream final for any neutral hurling fan.And the winner could rattle Munster.

The winners play the waterford champions away,but should the cork lads win,home advantage with prob tipp in a munster semifinal.

The premier intermediate champs youghal have ardmore ist round in waterford.

Clyda have a great chance of a munster club final.Their out in a semifinal away home in a month against tipp or waterford.Definetly winnable.

Clyda are well coached by Ned English.The monkey is off their back with yesterday's truly ,Superb win,they will get better and it will be a serious team that beats them.English got duhallow to the county final last year,and again he had hes critics ,the stlye he played.

But he gave a great interview ,8 wks ago,when he said some of hes teams play that way ,as he doesnt have footballers to play another way.

He has been charge teams played attractive football ,before he had the players.He coached in limerick two,and very succesful their.A great coach,success trail wherever he went.

Face doesnt fit with the cork board,never a option at minor etc,intercounty.

A munster final beckons against probably Currow .

Saw the report of the sars game-cussen got 2-1 and made two goals.

Cork need a full back,we have known that since Jan,but when cussen ends up like hes done in most games bar the ucc games,when spillane more than held hes own in the two games,destroys the opposition full backs and gets man of the match,it shows the severe lack of quailty no 3 cork have at the moment.

Cussen will be a definate club full forward of the year team again.And credit to him,he deserves it at club.

And people will say he has to be on panel next year.
    My concern is hes top form ,is just as much the fact,club full backs are nt great,rather than he is intercounty material.

The problem is if sars win the county and i hope they dont,as they have nothing new to offer cork, if cussen up against mclirney or cian dillion,depending who wins the Clare champions ,he will be found wanting again.

I have never seen cork club scene to be lacking top quailty 3,since late 90s when corks best full back was the Rockies man Ned keane.Best full by a mile,but no where near intercounty.If he was that good,hes native tipp would have played him or cork would have.

It doesnt help matters when our two hopes ,colm spillane plays half forward,for the club,and Eoin keane centre back for Barrs.

My hope is spillane will play 3,during the fitzgibbon.That is of utmost importance to cork.

The likes of ian cahill Cloyne,and Midelton CBS ,eddie gunning are fine prospects but around 3 years away if they do make it.

As good as they are,its impossible to throw these guys in from harty in a central position,to man the square.Jbm done the Same with the Rock in 97,he was playing the last year of Harty ,brought on to the senior panel,and thrown in at full back against Tom dempsey ,the man got goal against limerick in 96 in the all ireland final, in a trial game in Doneraile ,North Cork against wexford.

He was like a fish out of water as you would expect.It would be two years later before he would be starting full back for cork, with two u21 seasons behind him ,added to a season in 98 at corner back where he captained cork to their last league win against waterford.

The rock was outstanding but like cahill and gunning if they make it need to be given time.And an apprenticeship at corner back in the ist year senior would help,when they do make it.

Its a huge shame we lost Darragh rodgers to injury.What a hurler.

Speaking of Midelton,they have a huge game this wk,dean ryan cup semi against Blackwater.

Ard scoil should beat templemore friday in the other semifinal.

Be great if midelton could win.A tough ask though.

Denis ring,pa cronin at blackwater.Nt sure whos directly coaching them but surely one of them involved with that team.

Ronane dwayne involved with midelton.

Martin567 wrote: »
    I'm just reading the excellent club section in today's Examiner here and I'm very confused.

On one page, I read about Anthony Nash's heroics for Kanturk in the IHC semi-final and it says they will meet Eire Og in the final later this month. Turn the page and I find a big report about Youghal's win in the Premier IHC final on Saturday and how they will be playing senior hurling next year.

Are there two separate IHCs in Cork and do they both provide promotion to Senior? If not, what was the point of the Kanturk/Fermoy game? Also, which team will represent Cork in the Munster IHC?

All explanations gratefully received!

Who would you expect to win junior KK?. Is Tj Reid still playing junior?

• Advertisement

Gerry91 wrote: »
    I'll be in Cork next week Thinkstoomuch presume the semis are on Sat? What are the matchups again? Should be good!

Hurley will be a huge player for ye next year in football

What do ye make of the two football manager contenders?

I'd worry about ye next year ye have the players!

This could be very interesting regards football job.

The board are between a rock and a hard place.Board want frank,cleary meant to thrown he hat in the ring,now means their in a bit bother.

If cleary wants it,it wnt go down too well in haven,or cork if with hes outstanding u21 and club record is overooked to cuthbert,who record is nt as good.

The echo said board want cuthbert as manager,cleary coach.That is a joke.The board again.

Cleary would be foolish to take it ,second in command.It should be other way around.

Cleary main man,allow pick hes selectors,wants cuthbert ,so be it.

But its like they want their man,they knw be uproar cle.ry doesnt get it ,so keep all rosy a token gesture to cleary.

It could be a recipe of disaster.Two men very much own men,nt sure two managers together work.Both are manager than coaches.

I wouldnt mind cuthbert as he was the only candiate up to nw but nw cleary is in hunt,must be cleary.

My preference from the start.

Both have flaws but cleary is best man,considering morgan,ryan,ned english would never be considered.
    Echo said it could be announced at county board meeting tommorrow.

Hopefully we will have our minor and u21 hurling men announced.God onlys who it will be.Prob asking for too much,they will get all 3 crucial appointments right.

Jason Ryan doing a coaching seminar in mallow on Breaking the tackle.

Cork and Munster trainer Aidan o connell was their last week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement