Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to conceive/Planned parenthood/Assisted Reproduction Chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

stickybean wrote: »
    I'm officially in the 2ww (two week wait). This is the part I hate, the what if's the will I have a drink of not, just to be on the safe side. The first 14 days fly by, but the last 14 drag.

I got 2 full days of OPK's this month, from day 12. So we managed to get loads of the good stuff in :p

For the first time I notice my CM almost completely stopped after ovulation. Not sure whether I was being overly sensitive this month, but I could feel pains on Saturday for about 2 hours all down my left side. They were sharp crammpy pains in short bursts. Then I felt fine. Did the deed once more for good luck :)

The two weekends of my lucky cycle 2ww I got horribly hungover which is unlike me. We had family functions to attend and I was just sick of being good with my diet and moderate drinking so let loose and had more than I usually would. I *may* have still been slightly hungover when I POAS. :DBesides, I think its something like 8 weeks pregnant before you can pass any alcohol through to the baby, so if you feel like having a drink or ten, do! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 broody_kitten

I'm bowing out of this thread for now, OH and I had a talk at the weekend and decided that we need to postpone TTC for a few reasons, primarily financial. I'm dissappointed obviously but it makes sense. Going to use these months to try and get my full license and get my weight under control. One thing that cheers me is that I started ovulating very quickly after coming off the pill, so that's encouraging. Hopefully I'll be back sometime next year. Best of luck on your TTc journey ladies xx

• Registered Users Posts: 12 countrychick

Hi
    Just looking for some advice. We had been trying to conceive for over 2 years we have had a lot of stress during that time with family sickness, so over the last six months we have been trying to develop healthier lifestyles manage stress etc.
    Unfortunately we still haven't managed to concieve. I am just wondering about the next step, I suppose its best to start with the g.p? Im just wondering what they do there for you in the gp and whether you need certain tests done before you would be recommend to a fertility clinic?
    Im completely new to all this and like everybody else here just thought pregnancy would happen without thinking too much about it

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi
    Just looking for some advice. We had been trying to conceive for over 2 years we have had a lot of stress during that time with family sickness, so over the last six months we have been trying to develop healthier lifestyles manage stress etc.
    Unfortunately we still haven't managed to concieve. I am just wondering about the next step, I suppose its best to start with the g.p? Im just wondering what they do there for you in the gp and whether you need certain tests done before you would be recommend to a fertility clinic?
    Im completely new to all this and like everybody else here just thought pregnancy would happen without thinking too much about it

I'm assuming you have been tracking your cycle and using ovulation predictor kits/tests to maximise your chances? then if so, yep, your next step is your GP for a fertility referral and inital blood tests. You have to give a sample twice in your cycle - pre ovulation and post ovulation, normally called day3 & day21 bloods. (the days can vary depending on your cycle, but thats a common name given for them) Aim to have your first visit between days 3-7 of your cycle, and you can arrange your next appointment from there.

Prior to the fertility consultation, you may need those bloods repeated, and your partner will need to do blood tests too, but you'll get a letter detailing all of that.

This is a long thread, but if you do an advanced search of posts by my username in it and read it in date order, you'll get a summary of my experience of the above, and details of all my appointments and tests/procedures that were done.

Best of luck.

Thanks very much neyite I'll have a look at those posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

It comes around so fast doesn't it, its the week that my Pink Pad sends me an SMS every day to let me know that the flowers are blooming. :D

Luckily myself and my husband are very loved up these days (as opposed to the times when life is very stressful and we can't stand the sight of each other) so hopefully this will be the week for us!!

Really hope so. We've had a lot of exposure to babies recently, his sister (who was meant to have difficulty conceiving) has had her youngests Christening (2 girls, 2 yo and 3 months), his cousin with her 2 boys visited, his other cousin's wife recently had a baby, another has a 6 month old, friends are coming close to their due date and everywhere you look someone seems to be having or just had a baby. :(:)

It comes around so fast doesn't it, its the week that my Pink Pad sends me an SMS every day to let me know that the flowers are blooming. :D

Luckily myself and my husband are very loved up these days (as opposed to the times when life is very stressful and we can't stand the sight of each other) so hopefully this will be the week for us!!

Really hope so. We've had a lot of exposure to babies recently, his sister (who was meant to have difficulty conceiving) has had her youngests Christening (2 girls, 2 yo and 3 months), his cousin with her 2 boys visited, his other cousin's wife recently had a baby, another has a 6 month old, friends are coming close to their due date and everywhere you look someone seems to be having or just had a baby. :(:)

It can seem like babies/ pregnant women are everywhere when its the thing you want the most. I sometimes have to avoid certain friends for awhile because its very hard to be around all the little ones.
    Keep positive thoughts though maybe this is the month for you, enjoy it and focus on you and your partner and what ye have together.

It can seem like babies/ pregnant women are everywhere when its the thing you want the most. I sometimes have to avoid certain friends for awhile because its very hard to be around all the little ones.
    Keep positive thoughts though maybe this is the month for you, enjoy it and focus on you and your partner and what ye have together.

You're right. We are very lucky in having each other and we have a lot more by having that than many other people ever get. Oddly enough it does help too that this is something we both want badly. I can but think that it must be 100 times harder if only one partner wants it and the other is only going along for an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

zoviea wrote: »
    Hi my husband and I are TTC for 4 years now even though we conceived quickly and naturally with our other children it is just not happening this time:( We had all the tests done and thank God I am fine but poor husband has seman antibodies which is the reason we are not conceiving and we were told IVF was our only option. We are not willing to give up and are trying fertilaid for men. After just i month on it seman antibodies went down 1%..I know not a lot but still something;) Id love to hear from people with seman antibodies as I dont know of any stories about people with this problem...You advice would be great or if anyone tried fertilaid?

Hi Zoviea, just wondering how your husband found out that he has semen antibodies? My hubby has just had his sperm checked and the results came back bad :-( He said that giving the sample is quite tricky though and due to this the first part of his sample was lost. His sperm count which should be 20 or higher, came back as only 3 which seems hard to believe as he has a kid from a previous relationship. His motility it said on the results sheet should be greater than 50, but in my book The Fertility Code it says it only needs to be greater than 40, his was 41. And then morphology is meant to be 4 or higher, his was 3. Overall we're both really shocked and upset by the results, he's taking a daily vitamin tablet now especially for male fertility - maybe it's quite similar to Fertilaid is that a vitamin? He's getting retested again in 6 weeks time. I am curious about the semen antibodies as I think these can be a reason for low sperm count? You should buy the book the Fertility Code, he has a big section about semen antibodies and their causes, and ways to get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Hi guys! Me and OHs first time TTC, neither of us have any children and I've never been pregnant.

Very, very excited, but I'm not holding my breath as I am after coming off the pill after being on it 11 years. I was wondering would it be worth my while investing in an ovulation kit to see when I start returning to normal? And if so, how much should I expect to spend and are any better than others?

• Advertisement

I'm bowing out of this thread for now, OH and I had a talk at the weekend and decided that we need to postpone TTC for a few reasons, primarily financial. I'm dissappointed obviously but it makes sense. Going to use these months to try and get my full license and get my weight under control. One thing that cheers me is that I started ovulating very quickly after coming off the pill, so that's encouraging. Hopefully I'll be back sometime next year. Best of luck on your TTc journey ladies xx

Just a quick update... we had been a bit down after our decision to pause things again, and after spending a weekend with our baby niece we got 'the longing' strong as ever! So now we're not trying, but not preventing, and whatever happens happens :) Feel better already just getting my cycles back on track!
    ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Hi guys! Me and OHs first time TTC, neither of us have any children and I've never been pregnant.

Very, very excited, but I'm not holding my breath as I am after coming off the pill after being on it 11 years. I was wondering would it be worth my while investing in an ovulation kit to see when I start returning to normal? And if so, how much should I expect to spend and are any better than others?

Congratulations, we're prett much in the same boat so! Is age a factor? If not, I'd suggest just looking for your bodys natural signs at first. My first ovulation was unmistakable as I had some serious ovulation pains, as well as plenty of CM (sorry if TMI!) I'd only start getting kits if there was no sign tbh.

Just a quick update... we had been a bit down after our decision to pause things again, and after spending a weekend with our baby niece we got 'the longing' strong as ever! So now we're not trying, but not preventing, and whatever happens happens :) Feel better already just getting my cycles back on track!

Congratulations, we're prett much in the same boat so! Is age a factor? If not, I'd suggest just looking for your bodys natural signs at first. My first ovulation was unmistakable as I had some serious ovulation pains, as well as plenty of CM (sorry if TMI!) I'd only start getting kits if there was no sign tbh.

It's not so much a factor as a personal preference. My partner wants our first before he turns 30 and he will be 28 this year. I'm 26 and currently getting checked for endo so it seems like a good chance to start

Hi, I came off the Pill at the end of December after being on it for 14/15 years. My cycle was regular quickly and so I (foolishly) assumed that I'd get pregnant super quick. Patience is not one of my virtues.
    Now we're 9 months on and still TTC. I bought the ovulation kits, a pregnancy tests on Amazon and drove myself demented peeing on sticks morning and night. After 6 months I just had to stop with it.
    We went away on holidays, relaxed, destressed quite a bit of our lives, I've started acupuncture and I've been feeling way more positive about things since.
    Go with things as they are for now would be my advice (FWIW) and don't stress too much about kits and tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

We didn't get lucky again last month and having had a bug on holidays this month ( hard to feel romantic when hovering over the loo with a bin in your hands :):) so would pretty much say we are out again this month.

11 odd years is a long time to wait for our baby :( Feel a bit crap yesterday as everyplace we went was full of happy smiling families.

I don't post here often anymore so I would love to see a thread for us long timers and a number of us are around...

Sorry to hear that caroline. I think a long-term ttc-ers thread would be a great idea actually, I know newbies like me must barge in all the time, not realising that there are others trying years :o You could start one and see how it goes?

Was just curious - if you managed to get pregnant literally coming off the pill, would you still get your withdrawal bleed?

Was just curious - if you managed to get pregnant literally coming off the pill, would you still get your withdrawal bleed?

You mean in the few days between stopping and the withdrawal bleed? I'd say it's highly unlikely to be enough time to get pg but could be wrong! :) But if you did, I dont think you'd get a withdrawal bleed.

You mean in the few days between stopping and the withdrawal bleed? I'd say it's highly unlikely to be enough time to get pg but could be wrong! :) But if you did, I dont think you'd get a withdrawal bleed.

Yeah I thought as much, the sudden travel sickness, aversion to ketchup and paper smells like apples. Not sure what is going on!

Yeah I thought as much, the sudden travel sickness, aversion to ketchup and paper smells like apples. Not sure what is going on!

I think everyone on this thread thought they were pregnant during the first week or first few weeks off the pill. I think every woman thinks that stuff. Oh if only it were that easy!! :-)

Lucuma wrote: »
    I think everyone on this thread thought they were pregnant during the first week or first few weeks off the pill. I think every woman thinks that stuff. Oh if only it were that easy!! :-)

If only indeed!

• Advertisement

Oh wow, maybe you have been lucky after all! Though I'm incnlined to think its possibly just coming off the pill making you feel like that, I still have all my fingers crossed for you :D

Oh wow, maybe you have been lucky after all! Though I'm incnlined to think its possibly just coming off the pill making you feel like that, I still have all my fingers crossed for you :D

Unfortunately not, but I've read they are also signs of ovulation or at the least the body regulating hormones, so we're just gonna put gravy in the slow cooker every day and hope for the best :P

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey I'm going annon for this as i few people know I'm on boards.

We are just started TTC and the last 10 days for been an emotional roller-coaster!

How do ye cope with the wait from ovulation to your period being due? I'm due next Friday but have had sore boobs since last week, my boobs have hurt in the past but only for a day not 5 days straight so I have convinced myself that I'm pregnant.

My OH is trying to keep me grounded and reminding me of the possibilities etc but I could't help it and have started to get excited.
    took a test this morning which is negative, I will test again the the weekend if I'm late, but have decided not to test till them as my emotions are all over the place.

how do you cope with the waiting?
    do you still have the odd glass of wine? (had a glass at dinner the other night but the guilt I felt after....)
    do you only test on a certain day?

Hey I'm going annon for this as i few people know I'm on boards.

We are just started TTC and the last 10 days for been an emotional roller-coaster!

How do ye cope with the wait from ovulation to your period being due? I'm due next Friday but have had sore boobs since last week, my boobs have hurt in the past but only for a day not 5 days straight so I have convinced myself that I'm pregnant.

My OH is trying to keep me grounded and reminding me of the possibilities etc but I could't help it and have started to get excited.
    took a test this morning which is negative, I will test again the the weekend if I'm late, but have decided not to test till them as my emotions are all over the place.

how do you cope with the waiting?
    do you still have the odd glass of wine? (had a glass at dinner the other night but the guilt I felt after....)
    do you only test on a certain day?

Exciting times isnt it? For sure have a drink. I think you are ok until you are a few weeks pregnant (7??) as the embryo is getting nutrition from the sac and not mammy yet.

Test on the day your period is due. But you do have to calm down. :) PMT symptoms are pretty identical to pregnancy symptoms so do try not to get your hopes up too much. TTC can get stressful very quickly, so make sure you both try to keep the stress levels to a minimum.

Good luck.

Good advice Neyite. My strategy for the next while is to have no strategy :P All I'm doing is coming off the pill, eating well and getting down to business when we're in the mood. No timing, no temping, and no pregnancy tests unless I'm well and truly late! If still nothing by next year, then we'll go down that road. It can be hard not to obsess but defo worth it!

Good advice Neyite. My strategy for the next while is to have no strategy :P All I'm doing is coming off the pill, eating well and getting down to business when we're in the mood. No timing, no temping, and no pregnancy tests unless I'm well and truly late! If still nothing by next year, then we'll go down that road. It can be hard not to obsess but defo worth it!

We're doing exactly the same! OH and I usually "stir the slow-cooker" (as he likes to call it) every day anyway, so we've not had to change our routine at all! Had the return of discharge this morning, hopeful that it means things are regulating quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mok86

just wondering what are the waiting times for a gnae in tralee. have been ttc for well over a year now with no luck! didnt think it would be this hard as i concieved straight away with my 4year old. also my menstrual cycles have been irregular. did bloods with doc and oestrogen was low said i could have pcos wants to refer me to a gnae and for ultrasound. just wondering if anyone had any idea what are the waiting times are for going public. getting fed up now just want to know for sure what is wrong. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭TomeeTipee

Yesterday was one of those days for me. Got AF and found that that one of my sisters is pregnant. Apparently she got pregnant the first month of trying!! Delighted as I am for her, it brings it all home for me that after over 3 years of trying, it just might not happen for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mok86

TomeeTipee wrote: »
    Yesterday was one of those days for me. Got AF and found that that one of my sisters is pregnant. Apparently she got pregnant the first month of trying!! Delighted as I am for her, it brings it all home for me that after over 3 years of trying, it just might not happen for us.

so sorry to hear how you are feeling at the moment. we have not been ttc for as long as ye but its been over a year now. i know how it feels two people close to me told me a few months back that they were expecting and just a day apart! its so hard to stop the tears as they tell you their happy news. and then to be asked if i would like another i already have been blessed with a 4 year old but its still heartbreaking. i have finally stopped putting off things and went to see doc and she suspects pcos waiting to be called for ultrasound now. i know you feel awful and exhausted right now but dont give up just yet. its hard to hold on hope month after month but keep going its ok to get upset it isnt fair but you have to have belief it will happen. have you seen a doc or gynae? hope you are feeling a bit bettern

• Advertisement

We're doing exactly the same! OH and I usually "stir the slow-cooker" (as he likes to call it) every day anyway, so we've not had to change our routine at all! Had the return of discharge this morning, hopeful that it means things are regulating quickly!

That is a new one....! I don't really get it but I presume you mean dtd - do the deed! :-) return of discharge is good, ESP when you start getting the see through slippery stuff

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement