Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's with all the Anti-Arthur Day campaign ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Timistry

Truly Irish, pork products?

nope, a lot of the pork in Denny rashers is Dutch...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

humanji wrote: »
    Oh, here's a question I was wondering about, that maybe people who were out can answer: were there any bars that weren't serving non-diageo beers? A few years ago a couple of places had covers over the non-diageo taps and I curious to know if they did it again.

Happened at the Off The Ball live show I was at bout a year ago. Only were serving Carlsberg, absolute joke it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Timistry wrote: »
    nope, a lot of the pork in Denny rashers is Dutch...

Well that's a good thing, they do great pork, well look on a Dutch pork packet and it will say "most of the time" 86% pork on good quality one's. From an Irish producer it will say 40% pork or lower, there ye go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

humanji wrote: »
    Oh, here's a question I was wondering about, that maybe people who were out can answer: were there any bars that weren't serving non-diageo beers? A few years ago a couple of places had covers over the non-diageo taps and I curious to know if they did it again.
    AFAIK that's mostly the case is it not? Diageo pay the pubs to do that.

Good on them.

Dave! wrote: »
    AFAIK that's mostly the case is it not? Diageo pay the pubs to do that.

Good on them.

I doubt diageo are still doing this.

I was talking to the owner of the pub last night and he said he was covering the few pints himself, Diageo didn't give him a certain number free as with other years.

Anyway all this talk of drink is making me thirsty, time for some more of Arthurs finest :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

meemeemee wrote: »
    What's wrong with sheeple ?

Nothing besides it being one of the most irritating words around at the moment, normally used by smug gits who think they know better than everyone else and who sometimes think that the fluoride is in the water to control our minds!

Ush1 wrote: »
    Happened at the Off The Ball live show I was at bout a year ago. Only were serving Carlsberg, absolute joke it was.

Happens at all sponsored events like that. Go to a Heineken Green Room gig and see if you can get any other lager.

It's the way the event funds itself in those cases. It's not really a joke, it's just a fact of corporate sponsorship - why would they fund a live event and then let another company make company during it?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭meemeemee

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Nothing besides it being one of the most irritating words around at the moment, normally used by smug gits who think they know better than everyone else and who sometimes think that the fluoride is in the water to control our minds!

IT ISNT ? :eek:

What about Marlboro Menthol and the sterilisation thing ? And that special ingredient in KFC that gives only Black people cancer ? I'm off the the Urban Myths thread ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

C14N wrote: »
    You're oversimplifying. Seeing an ad doesn't trigger a switch in your brain that makes you think "I need Guinness", it works on a subconscious level. There's also the element of mob-mentality. Diego have done a decent job in the run up each year to make it look like "hey, everyone is going out for Arthur's Day" which kind of causes a coercion factor. If you're a student for example, you don't just stay in on Arthur's Day, everyone will think you're a massive dry sh!te.

Most people think they are immune to the influences of advertising and that their decisions are made completely by themselves and yet all of these major companies spend billions on it each year.

Regardless, no one is "making" anyone do anything. If you really don't want to do Arthur's Day you don't have to and I know plenty of people who didn't - I'm just getting tired of seeing so many comments acting as if Diageo are somehow forcing this on people. I see plenty of ads for English football, most of my mates are fans, am I being "made" to be a fan as well?

Happens at all sponsored events like that. Go to a Heineken Green Room gig and see if you can get any other lager.

It's the way the event funds itself in those cases. It's not really a joke, it's just a fact of corporate sponsorship - why would they fund a live event and then let another company make company during it?

Then advertise that. It's a pub that every day of the week sells all drinks. I only can drink cider so it was basically a case that I couldn't drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Regardless, no one is "making" anyone do anything
    So your theory is that advertising doesn't work and that the entire industry is a sham?

• Advertisement

Reekwind wrote: »
    So your theory is that advertising doesn't work and that the entire industry is a sham?

Not at all, but people who buy things based on advertising are still choosing to do so. Nobody made anyone go out last night if they didn't want to, everyone who took part took part of their own free will.

The Anti Arthur's Day campaign going on about Diageo "making" people drink acts as if everyone involved is a child who can't make up his or her mind on their own. It's irritating and condescending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ush1 wrote: »
    Then advertise that. It's a pub that every day of the week sells all drinks. I only can drink cider so it was basically a case that I couldn't drink.

But all of those events take place in pubs or clubs that serve all drinks every day of the week.

It's annoying but it happens all the time.

Not at all, but people who buy things based on advertising are still choosing to do so. Nobody made anyone go out last night if they didn't want to, everyone who took part took part of their own free will
    Which is not in question. Nobody thinks that Diageo controls people's minds. What is being questioned is how their advertising, and such events, impact the role of alcohol in Irish culture

And that's a far more nuanced discussion than one in which individual consumer 'choice' is independent and absolute

But all of those events take place in pubs or clubs that serve all drinks every day of the week.

It's annoying but it happens all the time.

So advertise the fact. Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

I don't think that's the point. it certainly isn't from where I'm standing anyway. My concern, and that of those I know, is that we've handed over a national day of celebration to a marketing company. we even call it Arther's "day". Telling people that it's a cynical marketing ploy won't surprise them, i agree. My concern is that things that we come together to celebrate as a country should be special, important things, because these days are few and far between. A company shouldn't be able to buy that for the price of a pint and a band. way more people "celebrate" Arthur's day than commemorate things like the lockout I'd imagine and other important things in our history, and that's what worries me.

Basically we're seen to celebrate diageo above all the things worth celebrating in our history, because someone puts on a band and gives us a free pint. That can't be good for us a country.

You have a fair point about more important things we should be celebrating and perhaps if celebrations and festivals were organised for these events more would attend. I know in galway any time there is entertainment or festivals such as the arts festival people turn out in their thousands.

The problem with celebrating things like the lockout, the rising etc. is that due to our the nature of the most significant events in our history they are usually sombre affairs usually with a march and a few prayers and maybe a laying of a wreath. They are remembrance events rather than celebrations. This is great but not exactly going to attract that many people who don't have an interest in the such things. To be honest I never heard about the lockout before this year. Many people nowadays barely manage to care about the 1916 rising.

I honestly dont think anyone was celebrating Diageo yesterday, they were just out for a bit of craic. Maybe the company should rebrand Arthurs day and just say its an annual event to promote their product, music and the pub and a day to thank all their current and future customers for their business. I think it would annoy people less if they did something like this. They could still have a toast at 17:59 and have everyone say sláinte or something. I must admit that the name bug me a bit but Im quite ok with the overall event.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭redtapestyl

*sweats a little*
    happy happy happy happy Arthur's day
    *sweats a lot*
    it's just another alcoholiday
    *drowns in river of sweat*

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

To be honest I never heard about the lockout before this year. .

You never even HEARD about the most important event in Irish Labour history?

I don't know whether that statement is a damning indictment of our education system or whether you're just generally uninformed about the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Reekwind wrote: »
    Which is not in question. Nobody thinks that Diageo controls people's minds. What is being questioned is how their advertising, and such events, impact the role of alcohol in Irish culture

And that's a far more nuanced discussion than one in which individual consumer 'choice' is independent and absolute

When was alcohol part of Irish culture ? We have a rep rightly or wrongly for being an island of drinkers ( I don't agree with this stereotype along with others, for other nations) but it's not part of our culture. To say the impact the role of alcohol in Irish culture is a very damaging image. Traditional music, dance, GAA this is part of our culture not alcohol. In fairness we have alot of people that may drink but it has nothing to do with culture. We need to dispell all this image of heavy drinkers as some part of whom we are. This is part of our problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

crusher000 wrote: »
    When was alcohol part of Irish culture ? We have a rep rightly or wrongly for being an island of drinkers ( I don't agree with this stereotype along with others, for other nations) but it's not part of our culture. To say the impact the role of alcohol in Irish culture is a very damaging image. Traditional music, dance, GAA this is part of our culture not alcohol. In fairness we have alot of people that may drink but it has nothing to do with culture. We need to dispell all this image of heavy drinkers as some part of whom we are. This is part of our problem.

Ireland has a drinking culture, to believe otherwise is sheer folly.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

We have this image and the stereotype because it's what we do c, drinking is part of our culture whatever way you try to word it.

I can't go to a party or on a night out not drinking without getting grilled about it. If you're not out on a mad one you're boring. That sounds like a drinking culture to me.

I do drink as much as everyone else sometimes so I'm not passing judgement on what anyone wants to do but let's call it what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Systemic Risk

Míshásta wrote: »
    You never even HEARD about the most important event in Irish Labour history?

I don't know whether that statement is a damning indictment of our education system or whether you're just generally uninformed about the past.

Damning indictment of our education system? Because someone doesnt know a fact from our labour history? I havnt studied history since i was 15 and have very little interest in irish labour history. I know in general about trade union movements and their importance in gaining rights for workers. Is that ok for you? I assure you i am very well educated and very knowledgable about my area of expertise.

An awful lot of us are proud of our drinking culture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Edit: I didn't use the word "mighty" btw. I'm from Dublin. Thanks.

And you live in Madrid, as you never tire of informing us, squeezing it into practically every post. Snottiest edit I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Ireland has a drinking culture, to believe otherwise is sheer folly.

Point I'm making is we often give ourselves this tag as if it's part of our culture. It's not, it has nothing to do with culture. It's to do with the fact that they'res people amongst us whom like to drink alot. We need to rid ourselves of this tag. We're also known as the fighting Irish. Is this part of our culture. How many people do you know that go out looking for a fight ? I don't keep those type of friends.

When was alcohol part of Irish culture ?
    Try Thursday night. A supposed 'cultural event' that turned Ireland into a billboard for a drinks company. An initiative to "showcase Ireland's talent and creativity" that was founded, promoted and organised by a drinks company. An attempt at an unofficial national holiday that just happened to involve thousands of people consuming a drink company's product

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Think the Dubliners, Patrick Kavanagh, Christy Moore (of old). Ever been to a trad session? I'm sure the feckin 1916 leaders spent a lot of time in the pub! Alcohol is part of our culture.

There are unsavoury aspects of the Irish relationship with booze (alcoholism, puke on the streets, health problems, etc.), but I for one don't feel any shame about the fact that one of the things that attracts tourists to Ireland is going to the pub, talking to Irish people (who are regarded as among the friendliest people in the world), drinking Guinness, and watching musicians play (particularly Irish ones).

This whole thing strikes me as the self-loathing that the Irish also have a predilection for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭guillespe

My take on this: 1. The pubs are dying 2. Business is good for the economy 3. It sponsors our favourite sports teams across ireland.

I think too many media soundbites have been given to anti-arthurs cranks,and it needs to stop,think about the money pouring into the country on days like this,if everybody had a pint - it could save the economy.

Nobody drinks anymore thanks to these assholes taxing the life out of it,and complaining.

This doesn't sound too good
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/arthurs-day-up-for-review-by-diageo-29617003.html
    Arthur's Day is to be reviewed by drinks firm Diageo although festivities passed off peacefully.

Increased media attention ahead of this year's event cast a spotlight on the anti-social aspect to the celebrations with widespread public drinking, hospital presentations and a massive clean-up operation marring previous years.

When asked if it was possible to say there would definitely be an Arthur's Day next year, Diageo responded: "As is the case with all our activities, we will review and evaluate Arthur's Day post-event."

Not sure if this is the Indo taking a standard response ("we review everything on an ongoing basis") and turning it into more than it really is, but I for one sincerely hope they don't decide to cancel it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭guillespe

hatrickpatrick the media jump all over it and will destroy arthurs day completley,what has stopped them before from wrecking people's livelyhoods...nothing..It sells more papers,sensationalise it up ,sex it up and there you have a story at the expense of the struggling pub landlord..Fcukers

• Advertisement

If Guinness actually do cancel it for next year, I say we pick a late September Thursday, make a Facebook event for it, and just have Arthur's Day anyway :D

Advertisement