Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2013 LC Chemistry Before/After***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭woopah92

xJEx wrote: »
    To all of you who did all questions more or less does that usually work for you? Like what did you get in the mock?
    I can't imagine that being the best strategy

I did everything except the option and question 9. Roughly about the same in my mock. Definitely works for me, I always tend to chose the wrong questions so I just do as many as I can. It got me an A2 in the mock. :p

To all of you who did all questions more or less does that usually work for you? Like what did you get in the mock?
    I can't imagine that being the best strategy

Got an A2 in my mock :) I always do more than needed because I feel we have the time to. I did every question in Biology also. I find that if I make a mistake I'm unlikely to notice it (just the way my mind works) so I'm better off doing as much as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Nope i do physics, chem and applied maths.
    Why?

Because iodoform is used on the Biology course to test for alcohol!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭xJEx

SecondMan wrote: »
    Because iodoform is used on the Biology course to test for alcohol!

Oh right. Well there you go! I made the right choice

Got an A2 in my mock :) I always do more than needed because I feel we have the time to. I did every question in Biology also. I find that if I make a mistake I'm unlikely to notice it (just the way my mind works) so I'm better off doing as much as I can.

I never have enough time, I think it's because I have a habit of doubting myself, plus I tend to write much more than the average person to ensure I've explained every possibility of what they're looking for.
    I would always like to have a spare question in the bag but I never end up with more than the minimum 8!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Conballz

There was a mistake in the paper actually... It said the half-life of Caesium-137 was 30 days, when it's 30 years. Suppose it doesn't matter really but still :L

I never have enough time, I think it's because I have a habit of doubting myself, plus I tend to write much more than the average person to ensure I've explained every possibility of what they're looking for.
    I would always like to have a spare question in the bag but I never end up with more than the minimum 8!

Interesting. I just think that certain questions we had done so many times in class that I just whizzed through them. At the end of the day we'll both only be marked out of 400 so it doesn't matter :)

Interesting. I just think that certain questions we had done so many times in class that I just whizzed through them. At the end of the day we'll both only be marked out of 400 so it doesn't matter :)

Yeah , well if we both got A2s in the mock doing the same thing we did in the real thing we should be fine ! :)

Yeah , well if we both got A2s in the mock doing the same thing we did in the real thing we should be fine ! :)

Exactly! :) I felt really good about the exam :) How did you find it? What questions did you leave out?

Anyone here have the answers of Q1 on them? I'm going through the paper to add up my possible score. Using Q2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11 and looking up the answers I got a B1 but I reckon I done better in Q1 than I did in Q2.

• Advertisement

Exactly! :) I felt really good about the exam :) How did you find it? What questions did you leave out?

I found it okay, but I thought the questions were kinda strange, like the topics were approached in a different way to past papers. I left out 2, 8, and 9. 9 is usually my favourite question, I nearly aways get full marks on it. But I felt the question was different to usual and it put me off .. was upsetting that i didnt get my fave question! I wrote out the three definitions then stopped it, waste of time :P
    I've analysed my paper :P and i made loads of very stupid mistakes (like not being able to read a graph) but i think i have a chance of an A1, if not an A2 i hope :)

Anyone here have the answers of Q1 on them? I'm going through the paper to add up my possible score. Using Q2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11 and looking up the answers I got a B1 but I reckon I done better in Q1 than I did in Q2.
    just the calculations you mean?
    .00047, .000235, .00752 and 7.52 ppm :)

BTW, i hope everyone on this thread today has an exam tomorrow. If not, you should be out enjoying your summer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MarieCurie22

just the calculations you mean?
    .00047, .000235, .00752 and 7.52 ppm :)

BTW, i hope everyone on this thread today has an exam tomorrow. If not, you should be out enjoying your summer!!

Applied maths here comes the worst student to sit the exam

I found it okay, but I thought the questions were kinda strange, like the topics were approached in a different way to past papers. I left out 2, 8, and 9. 9 is usually my favourite question, I nearly aways get full marks on it. But I felt the question was different to usual and it put me off .. was upsetting that i didnt get my fave question! I wrote out the three definitions then stopped it, waste of time :P
    I've analysed my paper :P and i made loads of very stupid mistakes (like not being able to read a graph) but i think i have a chance of an A1, if not an A2 i hope :)

Yeah I left question 9 till one of my last! All the molarities are really small numbers so it was a little awkward.
    I have no exams! But my friends do :(

Applied maths here comes the worst student to sit the exam

No point having your mind so full of negativity. Do your best, because that's all you can do.

No point having your mind so full of negativity. Do your best, because that's all you can do.

Yeah we can do it girl! Just believe in your brain's mathematical abilities :P

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

Got an A1 by some miracle. I wasn't expecting it at all! I thought I really messed up the paper thanks to the experiments. The invigilator person said that there was 5 minutes left so I gave a quick flick through what I'd written, only to discover that I totally skipped the end of question 3! Needless to say, I nearly fell off the chair as I got such a heart attack!! Thank god this whole thing is over!

Got an A1 by some miracle. I wasn't expecting it at all! I thought I really messed up the paper thanks to the experiments. The invigilator person said that there was 5 minutes left so I gave a quick flick through what I'd written, only to discover that I totally skipped the end of question 3! Needless to say, I nearly fell off the chair as I got such a heart attack!! Thank god this whole thing is over!

Damn you! I did an extra question and read over it and still got an A2 and i broke my back all year for chemistry...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Damn you! I did an extra question and read over it and still got an A2 and i broke my back all year for chemistry...

Same I have always been an A1 student.. Now my A2 is stopping me going to college. Funny because I was sure I had done way worse in other subjects which turned out to be A1s..

I got an A2 also! I'm viewing the paper and my mother said she'd pay for a recheck because she knows how much I love and knew that chemistry course! I don't need it for points or anything but as she said
    "It doesn't matter if you want or need it, if you deserve it - that's what matters"

• Advertisement

I got an A2 also! I'm viewing the paper and my mother said she'd pay for a recheck because she knows how much I love and knew that chemistry course! I don't need it for points or anything but as she said
    "It doesn't matter if you want or need it, if you deserve it - that's what matters"

I got the A1 in chemistry but I by no means deserved it. Half of my class got A1s. And our teacher was bloody awful.

woopah92 wrote: »
    I got the A1 in chemistry but I by no means deserved it. Half of my class got A1s. And our teacher was bloody awful.

I just want the A1 I thought I got :(

I just want the A1 I thought I got :(

It's not gonna matter to you at all in a few months! I'd give up my A1 so that I could have one more point to get into med. :P

woopah92 wrote: »
    It's not gonna matter to you at all in a few months! I'd give up my A1 so that I could have one more point to get into med. :P

Ah maybe not but I'm just eager to see where I went wrong.

Ah maybe not but I'm just eager to see where I went wrong.

Me too I was fully sure that was such a good paper for me! I came out so conifdent it was an A...the marking scheme must have been brutal. Cause I know I did not lose 40marks easily...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ynwa14

Well lads, pulling off a B1 in chem is probably my greatest fluke ever, no way am I getting that rechecked! They'd probably realise they were drunk while correcting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Ompala

Can I ask what everyone found so bad about the chemistry paper? I was giving grinds and my student said it was fine, looked at the paper and didn't seem so bad, just curious to hear peoples thoughts on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭ahmdoda

Ompala wrote: »
    Can I ask what everyone found so bad about the chemistry paper? I was giving grinds and my student said it was fine, looked at the paper and didn't seem so bad, just curious to hear peoples thoughts on it
    i wasnt really that bad for people that studied pulled the A1 but i guess the unexpected formate in Q2 the organic question pulled some people off

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Ompala

ahmdoda wrote: »
    i wasnt really that bad for people that studied pulled the A1 but i guess the unexpected formate in Q2 the organic question pulled some people off

Odd format yes, but it was still things people should have known, plus Q3 is in the organic part so that was a handy back up, its a nice experiment too. People can't blame the paper for not studying!

• Advertisement

I studied my ass off for Chemistry and i thought my paper went pretty well but the marking must have been shocking cause i really didnt think i dropped 40marks to drop to an A2 :/

Advertisement