Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

@Jawgap, If you can it might be worth approaching the retailer re that crank. I'd assume a manufacturing defect is the cause of it snapping, they/SRAM should replace it for you in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Which is your KOM?

OeiGnpa.gif

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

My youngest had been at me for awhile to get a bike with gears, after too much grunting going up the hill to Marlay park. A quick mooch on Adverts.ie found me an old 5 speed Raleigh Cassis for €45 needing some work, on sale just up the road from me;

266069.JPG

and it being the summer hols, a project was on. The frame was ok apart from a small amount of rust, the tyres were shot, the canti-brakes total cack, and the chain pretty rusty. Most importantly, my youngest daughter can't abide pink. So our shopping basket filled up with new V brakes €24.49, 2 x semi-slick tyres €24.98, bar grips €4.95, chain €7.79, personalised decals €4.60, blue spray paint €11, spare bottle cage from shed, and lots of elbow grease from my daughter and I (free). Total build cost €122.81, and after a number of evenings of sanding, spraying, snipping, adjustment and we came up with this;

266067.JPG

266068.JPG

and while she's hugely proud of it, it's too damn big! Loan of a rack anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

When will courier companies have a tracking system that actually works?

Once again I'm sitting here refreshing the DPD tracking system which hasn't been updated in over 36 hours, and still says the package travelled a mere 90km since Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Anyone ever heard of krapf bikes? I'm after buying one from my local record shop...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

doozerie wrote: »
    @Jawgap, If you can it might be worth approaching the retailer re that crank. I'd assume a manufacturing defect is the cause of it snapping, they/SRAM should replace it for you in my view.

I agree. Did you have from new?
    Shouldn't be failing there under normal wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

ford2600 wrote: »

Unless Jawgap's thigh muscles are rubbing audibly as he strides bowlegged into the store...

Maybe Jawgap's Robert Forstemann.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Anyone ever get sleep paralysis? I only ever experienced it twice. Mad stuff altogether.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/audio/2013/aug/05/podcast-science-weekly-sleep-paralysis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Anyone ever get sleep paralysis? I only ever experienced it twice. Mad stuff altogether.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/audio/2013/aug/05/podcast-science-weekly-sleep-paralysis
    Yes. Maybe once or twice a year, since I was a kid. Very very unpleasant.

I don't get any of the hallucination, or crushing, or weird stuff like that.

What happens is that I'm on the edge of sleep - either falling asleep or just coming to. I'm awake in that I'm conscious, can hear, but am completely unable to move. Paralyzed, but very uncomfortable with it - the need/urge to be able to move is huge, hence why it's so horrible.

My way of dealing with is to concentrate really hard, and summon all my focus into one sudden jolt. This is the technique I've used since I was a kid. That jolt has to be strong enough to wake myself up.

And if the first jolt doesn't work, it's a sickening feeling, because it takes probably several minutes again to be able to re-focus and repeat it.

As I say, it's horrible.

Edit: just listening to that podcast now. Triggered memories as a kid of screaming for my mother, but making no sound.

• Advertisement

Had it once, we were camping down in Wicklow and there was some fairly heavy rain bashing against the tent so it was hard to get to sleep. Horrible feeling, you don't have a clue what's going on for the first few seconds and it's only when you try and move or speak that the panic sets in.

Just had the annoying experience of stopping a Dublin bike to get off the road but being blocked from doing so by some over eager man wanting to board the bus 5m before the stop.

The bus driver then demonstrated his lack of manners and cop on by beeping me repeatedly while I tried to politely bypass the dopey ped.

joker77 wrote: »
    Edit: just listening to that podcast now. Triggered memories as a kid of screaming for my mother, but making no sound.

ooops sorry.

I only got it is as an adult. I thought it was odd. Just pinned to the bed by an invisible force!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

ooops sorry.

I only got it is as an adult. I thought it was odd. Just pinned to the bed by an invisible force!

Yep, go through periods of getting it almost every night. Have had it since I was a kid but only realised it was a "thing" a few years ago. Was actually relieved to see I wasn't the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

doozerie wrote: »
    ford2600 wrote: »

Yes - had it from new, and worth an email to see if I can get something!
    Unless Jawgap's thigh muscles are rubbing audibly as he strides bowlegged into the store...

Wobble and flap together more like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Does anybody have any tips for removing a reluctant crank? Have my crank puller and all my puny strength behind it but no movement. Its an old enough bike, probably about 20 years and the cranks wouldn't have been touched since it was put together.

Does anyone know off the top of their head what size Giant Hybrid frame would suit someone 182cm/6ft?

I take an L but I'm 188/6'2"

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Does anybody have any tips for removing a reluctant crank? Have my crank puller and all my puny strength behind it but no movement. Its an old enough bike, probably about 20 years and the cranks wouldn't have been touched since it was put together.

Square taper I assume? The usual advice is to loosen the retaining bolt and cycle up a hill in a high gear and the crank will work its way off. Is it the drive or non-drive side?

I have been meaning to do this with my left crank which I stripped the crank-extracter threads on. Haven't done it yet cos there's nothing actually wrong with the crank, it just doesn't match the righthand one.

edit: apparently this will wear the crank so don't do it if you intend to re-use it. The bottom bracket spindle supposedly will be fine, but I'm not so sure, another reason I've been a bit slow to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

WD40 or something like that. (Might not be the best for the bottom bracket, but if the crank's done for anyway…)

Then I'd try a bench-mounted vice. Clamp the crank puller in the vice and use the entire bike frame as a lever.

Try not to fling the bike across the shed/garden/garage/kitchen :)

Cheers guys

edit: apparently this will wear the crank so don't do it if you intend to re-use it. The bottom bracket spindle supposedly will be fine, but I'm not so sure, another reason I've been a bit slow to try it.

That destroyed the Crank I want to replace with this one so be careful if you are trying it;).

WD40 or something like that. (Might not be the best for the bottom bracket, but if the crank's done for anyway…)

Then I'd try a bench-mounted vice. Clamp the crank puller in the vice and use the entire bike frame as a lever.

Try not to fling the bike across the shed/garden/garage/kitchen :)

Have basted it with the WD40, going to let it soak a little and try again tomorrow. I don't have handy access to a bench vice at the moment so going to bring out my old friend Mr Lump Hammer to do some gentle persuading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

joker77 wrote:

I still get it as an adult. I'm fully aware of what's happening and in my mind I'm shouting the house down for my wife to wake me. One night when I eventually woke I asked did she not hear me shout? She said I was moaning, not shouting like I thought I was, and thought I was having a sexy dream!

Now she knows to give me a shove to wake me.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭BofaDeezNuhtz

Yeah use to get it every now and again as a kid.
    Worse ever was I was dreaming one night that I was
    out playing wearing one of them snorkel jackets remember them ha?
    'Neways the hood was closed up and stuck and I couldnt get
    it down and it was hard to breath in it etc.

Woke up to find I actually was suffocating face down in the pillow
    but paralysed face down in the pillow with my arms by my side.
    Took me a good 5 mins to move my body while I sucked air as hard
    as I could thru the pillow. Nasty nasty feeling for a child to go thru that,
    suffocating but unable to do anything about it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Yep, go through periods of getting it almost every night. Have had it since I was a kid but only realised it was a "thing" a few years ago. Was actually relieved to see I wasn't the only one.

Likewise, I never knew it was a thing - had it a few times as a kid, put it down to nightmares. Until it escalated and I woke up in hospital one night after a seizure. Very confusing affair, to go to bed and wake up in hospital - feels like a weird dream. And then the nurse accused me of faking to get off school! haha!

joker77 wrote: »
    it takes probably several minutes again to be able to re-focus and repeat it.
    I'd say what feels like minutes in dream time is probably just seconds in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

Does anyone know off the top of their head what size Giant Hybrid frame would suit someone 182cm/6ft?

I take an L but I'm 188/6'2"

I am 5'11 and very comfortable on a M. At 6ft I would say you are border line M/L and either would do.

Just had my latest near death experience with a careless driver on my morning commute. I'm quite sure that it was his fault, last minute left hand turn, brake signal and turn all within very short order of each other. Presumably without checking his mirrors properly as he would have seen me if he had.

Despite that, I know that I will be reviewing the incident in my head for the rest of the morning, trying to remember exactly where I was on the road, where he was and what the exact sequence of events trying to be sure of who was at fault.

Its a pointless exercise (except for possibly learning some lessons about anticipating driver behavior) but does anybody else do it after a close call?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Yeah - I'd run through the sequence in my head afterwards for much the same reasons you've outlined. At this stage I seem to be getting so perfectly brilliant at awareness/positioning etc that I conclude its always the stupid drivers fault - so some recalibration of my opinion of myself may be in order!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Speaking of close calls :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Motorist who ‘deliberately hit cyclist while drunk’ says it was all a joke
    A young driver who tweeted that she deliberately knocked a cyclist off his bike while she was drunk has said it was an ‘awful joke’ that got out of hand.

Daisy Abela from Bromley in southeast London boasted on Twitter that she was driving while ‘still drunk’ and hit the cyclist after having a ‘full on’ argument with him on Saturday morning.

• Advertisement

Thank Zod for twitter is all I'll say.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement