Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General UFC Chit Chat/News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

McGregor now fighting Max Holloway on Fox Sports.Tougher fight than Ogle I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Ush1 wrote: »
    McGregor now fighting Max Holloway on Fox Sports.Tougher fight than Ogle I reckon.

Oh sh*t that's a tough one. I was very impressed by Holloway against Bermudez. Thought he was robbed actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

That is going to be a really tough fight for him. Much harder than Ogle would ever be.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

Dana White admitted in a recent interview that they were coming to the UK around then adamski

What's McGregor's ground game like ? Holloway isn't great at all if he's taken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

Well guys, haven't been following much at all lately, but whtas happened to Hector Lombard?
    Lots of hype around him, never saw him actually fight before the Boetsch fight, where he was pretty disappointing, apart from youtube highlights

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

Think Lombard is meant to be fighting Nate Marquardt at welterweight

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Definitely a tougher fight for McGregor, but a very winnable one and a better one for his progression.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,043 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ASJ112 wrote: »
    Dana White admitted in a recent interview that they were coming to the UK around then adamski

What's McGregor's ground game like ? Holloway isn't great at all if he's taken down.
    He's an active BJJ competitor, at purple belt. He has expressed an interest in continuing to compete if he can when signed for the UFC. But i'm not sure if the european championships has come around yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Oh sh*t that's a tough one. I was very impressed by Holloway against Bermudez. Thought he was robbed actually.

True, but I thought Garcia was actually robbed against Holloway in the previous fight.....

Well not robbed but I think Garcia defo won.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

ASJ112 wrote: »

Conor's grappling - both standing and on the ground is very good. In the last two years he has improved dramatically - I think many people will be surprised when they see it in action. He's a purple belt in BJJ but his MMA grappling is far higher than that level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

Some big announcement coming up soon on MMAFighting. Personally I think it's either a comeback for BJ or Tito.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/7/11/4511808/special-news-edition-of-the-mma-hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Twitter was belching last night saying that its either a announcement about Dominic Cruz rescinding his title or something to do with Anderson Silva.

Tito has been talking about a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭p to the e

Stann retires

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Nope.... Brian Stann has decided to retire.

EDIT: p_to_the_e got to it before me! :D

Probably because Weidman stole his nickname and won the title:pac:

Speaking of Cruz, he really has no right to hold the title at the minute. The bantamweight division is so dead right now, absolutely no movement at the top with Barao's match ups falling through and Cruz being injured.
    In October it'll be 2 years since Cruz fought and he's still the champ.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Stann was one of my favourite fighters, total class act in and out of the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

yep and one fearless dude in the cage... highISH level brawler! and a smart decision to step away - wisest men know what they can and can't do and he knew he'd be hit a lot... could name 10 more on the books that need to give up the game too but aren't smart or honest enough to themselves to see it... course the flip side is you can say some people are just made for this sport even if they suffer bad beatings in the process...the warrior in them just won't give up and they accept the consequences to an extent or just don't care but I'm not so sure even those warriors out there would continue to push on if they met a punch drunk boxer and his family face to face and saw whats at the end of their road. The UFC should simply step in and chat to these guys if they have the fighters long term safety in mind which I would guess they do and I'd say just like with Chuck these chats happen from time to time

Good Luck to Stann in his future endeavors... he's a smart dude he'll make some good money I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Shame about Stann. I'd love to see some more of him as he rarely has a boring fight.

On paper, he is the type of fighter I typically hate; 'murrican war hero, republican and military block head. But when when you hear him talk and see him fight, its hard not to like the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Jizzear

even though i didnt think the matchup made all that much sense i was interested to see koscheck maia, ufc 163 loses a decent bit of its luster now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Again the injury curse hits, TJ Grant is out of his LW title fight with Benson Henderson.

The silver lining is that Henderson vs Pettis II is now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Jizzear wrote: »
    even though i didnt think the matchup made all that much sense i was interested to see koscheck maia, ufc 163 loses a decent bit of its luster now!

Ah nuts! Was looking forward to this fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Stann retiring eh? I'd say he was a big enough cash cow for the UFC.

That_Guy wrote: »

Yeah it's definitely a loss to the UFC. I'd say he'll continue on doing analysis and stuff though. He's pretty decent at that.

I always liked Stann. I know he annoyed some people with the war hero stuff but he didn't push that too much. I think the UFC pushed that angle more so than he did. He's nowhere near as annoying as Tim Kennedy when it comes to that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Bisping vs Munoz being touted as a headliner for the UFC's trip to Manchester in October.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Imperial_Ldn

That_Guy wrote: »

briann stann? isn't he one of the moderators here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Yeah it's definitely a loss to the UFC. I'd say he'll continue on doing analysis and stuff though. He's pretty decent at that.

I always liked Stann. I know he annoyed some people with the war hero stuff but he didn't push that too much. I think the UFC pushed that angle more so than he did. He's nowhere near as annoying as Tim Kennedy when it comes to that stuff.

He's also been given a position commentating on college football, it look's like he's got a good future ahead of him (I'd like to see him in politics at some stage).

He's also been given a position commentating on college football, it look's like he's got a good future ahead of him (I'd like to see him in politics at some stage).

I didn't know that. Well he's a likeable guy and he's good on camera so he'll always be needed for stuff like that.
    And yeah he does seem like he'd be a good politician. He's a very good speaker.
    And I have to say, I always admired him for the work he does for army vets. He mentioned it a few times in post fight interviews. He seems to be doing it purely out of the goodness of his heart rather than for recognition.
    I wish him the best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,503 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Jizzear wrote: »

Jaysus, forgot that Robert Drysdale is making his debut. Should be an easy win for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Dana is making an announcement on ESPN in the US shortly. Somehow I think this will revolve around Rousey / Tate and Silva / Weidman.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement