Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

First time posting here.

Been doing great so far, on week 5 day 2 atm. I've found it difficult but have done every run and actually enjoyed. Anyone else feel the jump from w5d2 to d3 is a bit much. Two 8 min runs with a 5 min walk in middle to a straight 20 min run. It's really put off my mate from continuing as he feels he couldn't get through that and I feel I'll really struggle myself.

Any one else in the same boat or any experiences I could draw on from those who've done it before?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mrs Docjewel

leahyl wrote: »
    My friend has been trying to convince me to do this with her and then run the cork women's mini marathon in September but I have been adamant up to now that "I don't run"! I'm thinking now though that I might give it a go, obviously for the sense of achievement after it would be great but I want to lose a bit of weight too - is it good for that purpose or do you really have to be regimental with your diet also?

I'm a really fast walker but when it comes to running i just fall apart after about 60 seconds!

I'm on week 3 at the moment and have really surprised myself at how well it's going. Like you I thought beforehand that I'd fall over if I had to run for 30 seconds let alone 60 but the couch25k programme does ease you in to it and if you jog as slow as you can (and then even slower) you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it. I'm doing it with a friend which motivates me to get out there and do it but find that coming on boards has been a big motivator too.
    As far as losing weight goes you will find that you will start to eat healthier, I am half following the slimming world diet which fits in well with exercise, really have to get my head in the right place and start to follow it fully from now on.
    My advice after that bit of rambling, just get out there and do it but remember to go slowly, you can build up speed later!

First time posting here.

Been doing great so far, on week 5 day 2 atm. I've found it difficult but have done every run and actually enjoyed. Anyone else feel the jump from w5d2 to d3 is a bit much. Two 8 min runs with a 5 min walk in middle to a straight 20 min run. It's really put off my mate from continuing as he feels he couldn't get through that and I feel I'll really struggle myself.

Any one else in the same boat or any experiences I could draw on from those who've done it before?

Pierce I'm only on wk3 but would it be an idea to repeat the last week until you feel ready to move on?

Pierce I'm only on wk3 but would it be an idea to repeat the last week until you feel ready to move on?

It's probably not a bad idea. I do feel comfortable where I'm at atm though. I ran the w5d2 today and felt I could have done more. Just the thought of going twenty minutes without any break seems a jump. I won't be able to run again till Tuesday so I'll give it a go and update withh how I get on. If, as I expect, I fail miserably I'll probably repeat the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

It's probably not a bad idea. I do feel comfortable where I'm at atm though. I ran the w5d2 today and felt I could have done more. Just the thought of going twenty minutes without any break seems a jump. I won't be able to run again till Tuesday so I'll give it a go and update withh how I get on. If, as I expect, I fail miserably I'll probably repeat the last week.

Expect to fail and you most probably will. ;)

Although it seems daunting to make this step up the step isn't as big as you think. It's actually less than the weekly increases so far.

Week 1 - You're running 1 minute at a time.
    Week 2 - 1.5 minutes - a 50% increase
    Week 3 - You have a couple of 3 minute sessions. 100% increase
    Week 4 - We're at 5 minute blocks a 66% increase
    Week 5 - You go from 16 minutes running out of 21 to a 20 minute run - about a 20% increase in running time.

What you're hung up on is the lack of rest period. That's all it is though - a skipped rest period. Like you did in week 2 and 3 as the running portions increased. It's just that now you've ran out of rest periods to skip.

My best advice to you now is take a couple of days rest beforehand (which you're doing anyway !) and head out for that 20 minute run full of confidence. Pull your pace back slightly for the first few minutes. Run a little slower to conserve your energy. You can always increase the pace for the second half if you feel like it. You will find this a lot easier than you think and the feeling you get at around 10-12 minutes when you suddenly realise you're going to make that 20 minutes is very special indeed. You can and will do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I'm on week 3 at the moment and have really surprised myself at how well it's going. Like you I thought beforehand that I'd fall over if I had to run for 30 seconds let alone 60 but the couch25k programme does ease you in to it and if you jog as slow as you can (and then even slower) you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it. I'm doing it with a friend which motivates me to get out there and do it but find that coming on boards has been a big motivator too.
    As far as losing weight goes you will find that you will start to eat healthier, I am half following the slimming world diet which fits in well with exercise, really have to get my head in the right place and start to follow it fully from now on.
    My advice after that bit of rambling, just get out there and do it but remember to go slowly, you can build up speed later!

Thanks Mrs Docjewel! I've texted my friend and told her ill give it a go :-) to be honest the main reason I want to do it is to lose weight before my holiday in September :-P but who knows it might become more important to me than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Done 7 weeks of it and done my 1 st 5k race in 27 mins. Have another one the week after next. I never ran before I done this.
    Using the runkeeper app for training now.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I did this a last year and the plan I had was 10 weeks long. It was just a plan downloaded from the net.

Found it great.

Keep it up though, fantastic exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Here's the one I used if anyone is interested. It's more gradual. The 20 min + runs don't come in until week 8.

tumblr_mdw1x7gLey1ryqjtno1_1280.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I used the podcast from here.

http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

I found them brilliant, much better than the app I started with. Some great advice and follow on podcast on there too.

• Advertisement

Expect to fail and you most probably will. ;)

Although it seems daunting to make this step up the step isn't as big as you think. It's actually less than the weekly increases so far.

Week 1 - You're running 1 minute at a time.
    Week 2 - 1.5 minutes - a 50% increase
    Week 3 - You have a couple of 3 minute sessions. 100% increase
    Week 4 - We're at 5 minute blocks a 66% increase
    Week 5 - You go from 16 minutes running out of 21 to a 20 minute run - about a 20% increase in running time.

What you're hung up on is the lack of rest period. That's all it is though - a skipped rest period. Like you did in week 2 and 3 as the running portions increased. It's just that now you've ran out of rest periods to skip.

My best advice to you now is take a couple of days rest beforehand (which you're doing anyway !) and head out for that 20 minute run full of confidence. Pull your pace back slightly for the first few minutes. Run a little slower to conserve your energy. You can always increase the pace for the second half if you feel like it. You will find this a lot easier than you think and the feeling you get at around 10-12 minutes when you suddenly realise you're going to make that 20 minutes is very special indeed. You can and will do this.

Well both myself and my mate managed to complete the twenty minute run tonight. Cheers for this post the other day, I think it did give me a bit more confidence in my ability to do it. As it worked out I finished the cool down and was still about five minutes away from the house so I jogged home. Now we move onwards and upwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Well done, I say that felt great! My first 20 minute run is on friday. Finishing week 5 day 1 was tough, the 3rd five min section was hell and I felt a bit down.

Just to remind myself how far I've come I went out today (an off day) and did week one day one, which was really hard at the time, and I barely broke a sweat!

Well both myself and my mate managed to complete the twenty minute run tonight. Cheers for this post the other day, I think it did give me a bit more confidence in my ability to do it. As it worked out I finished the cool down and was still about five minutes away from the house so I jogged home. Now we move onwards and upwards!

Well done Pierce, last week was just a blip, onwards and upwards now!

Just in from the 20 minute run, someone said it earlier on in the thread but the feeling when you have about 8 mins left and realize that you're gonna make it is amazing! Amazed that I did it, really amazed cause it looks such a leap up in difficulty.

Finishing line is in sight! After I finish this, gonna go for the ten k!

Just in from the 20 minute run, someone said it earlier on in the thread but the feeling when you have about 8 mins left and realize that you're gonna make it is amazing! Amazed that I did it, really amazed cause it looks such a leap up in difficulty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Fantastic :D No stopping you now! I'll never forget my first either! (20 min run that is;))
    Great to be looking forward to a 10k plan already!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭imola94

Good God I never realised I was so unfit. Just completed my first day of c25k. I'm at least 2 stone overweight and my diet would be what I would consider very bad so I'm going to use this programme to get my life back on track, mentally and physically. I really hope I don't give up on this after a week as I do with everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

imola94 wrote: »
    Good God I never realised I was so unfit. Just completed my first day of c25k. I'm at least 2 stone overweight and my diet would be what I would consider very bad so I'm going to use this programme to get my life back on track, mentally and physically. I really hope I don't give up on this after a week as I do with everything else.

I'm three wks ahead of you, I'm jogging three mins which I couldn't do a month ago, weak at the thought of the jogging for 20 mins but sure tis all progress. Best of luck :)

Rfrip wrote: »
    I'm three wks ahead of you, I'm jogging three mins which I couldn't do a month ago, weak at the thought of the jogging for 20 mins but sure tis all progress. Best of luck :)

3 mins jogging seems very difficult at the moment but from all reports I've read of the programme it seems people do it without too much problem.

3 mins jogging seems very difficult at the moment but from all reports I've read of the programme it seems people do it without too much problem.

Just take it week to week imola and you'll be fine, I've just finished week 3 so starting the 5 minute runs this week, couldn't have seen myself get this far a couple of weeks ago but it's not as bad as I expected and if you find some days tough or feel you're not ready to move on to the next week then there's no harm repeating a couple of days! Good luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

My experience of the program was that each week was tough but none were any tougher physically than the previous week which to me indicated the progress I was making which motivated me to just keep plugging away at it. It won't be pretty some days but it can be done.

when I get to week five and six and the longer runs there's was a mental side to those runs. Pace yourself to complete the time rather than give too much earlier in the runs and struggle to finish, you can always speed up for the last minute or so of a run if you feel you have it left in the tank.

On to 5 minute jogs now and all going well. Was in a bit of a rut last few weeks due to sickness and then repeating a few days as my friend didn't feel ready to move on. I've decided that from now on there'll be no repeating days/weeks unless it's a real necessity! My brain as well as my body needs a constant challenge!!!

Well that's week 1 finished. It did get easier tonight but week 2 is going to be a challenge. Can't believe the shin splints are staying away. Great feeling to be out on an evening like this.

Running is so so tough in this heat... on day one of week 7 but I couldnt do it and had to stop twice

Finally finished week 4 (which should be week 6 but that's another story!) I'm heading out most mornings just before half 7 so can just about manage the heat at that time. I went at half 8 on Sunday last and found it very difficult. Well done to everyone who runs during the day or in the evenings there's no way I could do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Started wk 4 this morning with the jogging five mins. Longest five mins of my life!first one was grand, then the first two mins of the last five mins were awful then I was grand. Delighted with myself as a few wks ago I couldn't manage 1 min

Rfrip wrote: »
    Started wk 4 this morning with the jogging five mins. Longest five mins of my life!first one was grand, then the first two mins of the last five mins were awful then I was grand. Delighted with myself as a few wks ago I couldn't manage 1 min

I was the same last week, couldn't believe I did it. It was definitely the longest 5 mins for me too but it's surprising how quickly you get used to it. But definitely think 70% of it is in my head and the rest is my breathing, the legs seem to go with the flow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 xjman

Well that's week 1 finished. It did get easier tonight but week 2 is going to be a challenge. Can't believe the shin splints are staying away. Great feeling to be out on an evening like this.

How did you sort out the shin splints?
    I was told to loosen or tighten my laces...cant get rid of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

xjman wrote: »

How did you sort out the shin splints?
    I was told to loosen or tighten my laces...cant get rid of them...

Do you have good trainers? there are some stretch routines for shin splints on youtube but be careful with them obviously. Tackle it now cos it can be difficult to get rid of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

On week two and must say i am enjoying it. The programme is good and i look forward to finishing it.

Just a quick question is it a bad idea to do it more than 3 times a week. I feel i could do it 5 times a week but it might burn me out.

Advertisement