Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

This might seem like a stupid question but I'm worried I may be going about this the wrong way. I'm trying to improve my cardio so what I've been doing is cycling from Scholarstown up to viewpoint. I have to stop about 5 times along the way as I get out of breath. If I keep doing this about 2 times a week will I in say about 6 weeks be able to get all the way to the top without stopping? I'm hoping that when I can get all the way to the top I will then start venturing further up the mountain on longer cycles?

I would say you will for sure -the Edmonstown Road -> Viewpoint -> Stocking Lane loop is a really handy one close to the city to test yourself on... Couple of times a week and pushing yourself to stop one less time (or go a bit further before you stop), and you'll be sailing up in only a few weeks! Once at the viewpoint, you can head on up military road and your only a short hop skip and jump for the Sally Gap :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

I would say you will for sure -the Edmonstown Road -> Viewpoint -> Stocking Lane loop is a really handy one close to the city to test yourself on... Couple of times a week and pushing yourself to stop one less time (or go a bit further before you stop), and you'll be sailing up in only a few weeks! Once at the viewpoint, you can head on up military road and your only a short hop skip and jump for the Sally Gap :)

+1 on this, I've spent the last couple of weeks doing the Viewing point loop and have come on a lot quickly. Beware the Sally Gap though, I went over it for the first time yesterday and absolutely ruined myself, total wreck today.:pac:

+1 on this, I've spent the last couple of weeks doing the Viewing point loop and have come on a lot quickly. Beware the Sally Gap though, I went over it for the first time yesterday and absolutely ruined myself, total wreck today.:pac:

Sally Gap is a bit of a commitment alright, as once you get there, it's a bit of a haul to get home -it's what makes the viewpoint a great loop -get to the top, and you can pretty much roll home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

How far does the Sally Gap stretch? I went over it a few weeks back and it was decent enough but I wasn't dead? Unless I was at the wrong Sally Gap :pac:

Zyzz wrote: »
    How far does the Sally Gap stretch? I went over it a few weeks back and it was decent enough but I wasn't dead? Unless I was at the wrong Sally Gap :pac:

Technically, the Sally Gap is the crossroads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

But geographically, it's the mountain saddle in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Sally Gap is a bit of a commitment alright, as once you get there, it's a bit of a haul to get home -it's what makes the viewpoint a great loop -get to the top, and you can pretty much roll home

I found from the Feather beds to the Crossroads much tougher than I had anticipated, not made any easier having just struggled up Stocking lane. Turning left at the crossroads to return via Enniskerry was probably a bit silly.:P

I lived to tell the tale but will be doing a bit more work before taking it on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I have to stop about 5 times along the way as I get out of breath.

Can you put the bike in to an easier gear and/or set off at a more gentle pace?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Can you put the bike in to an easier gear and/or set off at a more gentle pace?

Yeah I get what you mean, usually I work my way to the easiest gear as I go along but I still end up out of breath after a while. I'm also on a hybrid if that makes any difference. I'm just going to keep plugging away until I get it I reckon.

On a side note I tried this route the other day and it was way out of my league, I didn't realise how hilly it was! I thought once I got up past the old Dublin City golf course I was done with the climbing! Between points C and D was a complete write off, I had to walk a lot of it and even that was hard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Start the hill in a gear that will get most of the way up the hill. I find I loss a lot of speed when if I have to shift down once committed to a climb.

• Advertisement

usually I work my way to the easiest gear as I go along but I still end up out of breath after a while. I'm also on a hybrid if that makes any difference. I'm just going to keep plugging away until I get it I reckon.

Those are pretty tough routes. So I'd just put it in the easiest gear right from the bottom and try to get there slowly in one go. It's easy to go into the red too quickly when tackling hills.

Also you could take in a bit of flat terrain for a little while to warm up before hitting the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Interesting offer from Gatorade, who is feeling lucky :) :
    IF A TEAM SKY RIDER WINS THE TOUR DE FRANCE, WE’LL REFUND ALL GATORADE PURCHASES MADE BEFORE 29TH JUNE.
    In 2012 Gatorade fuelled Team Sky to success in the Tour de France. This year, if any Team Sky rider wins again, we’ll be celebrating by giving our customers their money back. All you have to do is:

1. Buy Gatorade products from participating retailers between 20th April and 29th June 2013
    2. Register your purchase below within 14 days.
    3. You'll then receive a purchase registration certificate via email.
    4. Then, if a Team Sky rider wins the Tour, send us your receipt of purchase and certificate to Gatorade, If We Win, You Win, PO BOX 133, Uckfield TN22 1HH within 21 days of the winning ceremony and we’ll refund your money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Start the hill in a gear that will get most of the way up the way up the hill. I find I loss a lot of speed when if I have to shift down once committed to a climb.

better off starting a gear or two below this, spin to the top, you can still get a good cardio spinning, and you can slow down to let you come out of the red zone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

doozerie wrote: »
    Interesting offer from Gatorade, who is feeling lucky :) :

I don't see the upside, Sky lose, you have spent money on a horrific drink, if they win, you get the horrific drink for free bar time spent registering etc.

I'll just keep my cash, I imagine its like Krusty burgers during the Olympics, no one is really expecting them to win :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Question for the masses. Tried googling but found lots of contradictory information. When measuring stem and crank lengths is it centre to centre or end to end etc...

Also bars, outside to outside or centre to centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

• Registered Users Posts: 31,023 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Question for the masses. Tried googling but found lots of contradictory information. When measuring stem and crank lengths is it centre to centre or end to end etc...

Also bars, outside to outside or centre to centre?

Cranks and stem are c2c.

Most bars are c2c, but some (e.g. Deda) are o2o.

I have some 38cm Dedas, they're very narrow.

• Advertisement

ror_74 wrote: »

Anyone interested in sugar should give this a read:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-White-And-Deadly-killing/dp/0241965284

"In 1972, when British scientist John Yudkin first proved that sugar was bad for our health, he was ignored by the majority of the medical profession and rubbished by the food industry.

We should have heeded his warning.

Today, 1 in 4 adults in the UK are overweight."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Pete

I had been having a debate with my missus relating to obesity stats recently. I had read an article last week suggesting that a large proportion of 8-9 year olds in Ireland were fat.
    My daughter is that age and I cannot think of one of her friends or classmates that could be described as fat. Looking at her recent class photo and having been at the communion thing would bear that out.

I am not denying that obesity is a serious and growing issue (confirmed fat bast*Rd) here, but am am wondering as to the accuracy of the stats when it comes to kids.

None of the kids that I encounter regularly (family, friends kids, neighbours etc etc) could be described in any way as fat.

Anyway sugar is nice. Stop ruining my day. I can't get my kids to eat sugar at all - I blame their mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

It may be alarmist, but at the same time I presume we're talking about BMI stats, which I would assume are more easily applicable to children than adults due to a mor consistent musle mass. Going by what you see isn't a great indicator either tbh. When I was over 19 stone no-one believed me. I'm still overweight and people look at me oddly when I say I still need to lose weight.

In saying all that, there's a few big kids in my son's school. And their parents are also pretty big. Considering half the secndary kids I see going to school in the morning are eating brekfast rolls, crisps etc and drinking Red Bull or Monster, I'd say diabetes and obesity are going to be enough of an issue in a few years to warrant the dramatic stats now. I believe the UK are having even greater issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

I don't normally do this, but I'm soliciting donations in this post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85128229#post85128229

ROK ON wrote: »
    I had been having a debate with my missus relating to obesity stats recently. I had read an article last week suggesting that a large proportion of 8-9 year olds in Ireland were fat.

I don't know about primary school age kids, but 10 years ago I lived next to a girl's secondary school and a very large number of the girls were overweight or very overweight. I can only imagine it is worse 10 years on. Weight gain is insipid and just doesn't hit in the teens so it must be starting earlier.

But given that nutritional advice is so awful in newspapers, magazines and those fat family programs. I don't really blame the parents or the kids.

I've been reading non-stop on nutrition for the last 3 months and I don't eat sugar any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

CSS were giving out €10 vouchers and puncture repair kits on the canal this morning. Fair play. Now I know where I'm gonna spend my one for all voucher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Pet & Harry

I dont disagree with ye at all, it is simply that I see very few fat kids in the two places that I live.

I think that it can be skewed by socio-economic factors. There are neighbourhoods that I pass thru in Dublin where there are no normal or thin kids - they all seem fat. Sad really.

I do worry about weight with my eldest daughter as she seems a bit too fervent in her diet for a kid that will be 9 in a few weeks.
    She eats lots of soups/salads/fish and is often asking about her weight. It would be sad to think that a justifiable societal worry on obesity drives young girls in completely the other direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Nothing wrong with her eating soups, salads and fish. Asking about her weight on the other hand is probably more a sign of social pressure to be thin for unhealthy (cosmetic/commercial) reasons and a symptom of the way adulthood is agressively marketed to children these days.

I think the fuelling for purpose argument is the healthy mean, if we can teach kids to somewhat balance their diet with their fuel needs it can be the basis of a much healthier attitude towards food in life.

For example, only allowing something highly calorific when it's going to be followed by or during physical activity, with the inverse of not allowing going out and playing without enough gas in the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

ROK ON wrote: »
    Pet & Harry

I dont disagree with ye at all, it is simply that I see very few fat kids in the two places that I live.

I think that it can be skewed by socio-economic factors. There are neighbourhoods that I pass thru in Dublin where there are no normal or thin kids - they all seem fat. Sad really.

I do worry about weight with my eldest daughter as she seems a bit too fervent in her diet for a kid that will be 9 in a few weeks.
    She eats lots of soups/salads/fish and is often asking about her weight. It would be sad to think that a justifiable societal worry on obesity drives young girls in completely the other direction.

Ah, not a Dubliner. I'm originally from Donegal and most kids I know who we're a little tubby early on didn't stay that way long. Actually, I struggle to remember any more than two kids in my school who were big. Though in fairness most of them had to work some kind of labour intensive jobs around the house even if they didn't play sports. Summers cutting turf etc.

Re your daughter: my son is 9 and similar. He likes to come home from birthday parties and boast about how little crap he ate. He's getting a taste for sugar more now, but it's kept in moderation. The Food Dudes project by the State seems to have been a positive influence too. I try and keep moderate about it re him as a know a family who were banned from eating any junk and are all obese now that they've grown up and free to choose.

Re Peterhedrummer and his abstention from sugar. I found cutting as much as possible out meant less low sugar moments where I could eat myself Into a coma and basically that I could contr weight loss more easily. I personally won't be cutting it out altogether but I try and avoid it as much as possible.

• Advertisement

Crazy.

cycleball.jpg

kola_kolova1_b.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement