Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

taidghbaby wrote: »
    Have no clue how to put a GIF in so ill stick a link for chad slapping his lawyer! The face on the bailiff I'd priceless!

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/6/10/4415352/the-most-import-ass-slap-of-chad-johnsons-career

Here ya go.....

8kUnKK.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Cheers Corvus!!

TO. wrote: »
    She flung a bottle and hit him with it in the head according to his agent. If his event of things is true personally I don't care what gender you are, when you pick up and item and use it as a weapon you will get smacked by me. Big difference in slapping her for doing nothing but in this case it is self defense. Really bugs me that this not hitting a woman comes into play. All bets are off when objects that can do damage are involved. If that makes me a monster so be it.

Shocking footage of the incident!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Tebow to the Patriots apparently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Tebow to the Patriots apparently.

Been saying it a while now I hope we do it and fix him.

Really bugs me that this not hitting a woman comes into play

Well, I think the aspiration is kinda not hitting anyone!

But particularly not a woman. Even if she has been really bold. As for self defence, pfffft. What did she have, a crate of bottles to hand? Even if she had another to hand, which is not suggested, could an athlete not have moved out of the way? If she had only the one bottle, was he afraid she was gonna tear him limb from limb with her bare hands?

I can appreciate him getting mad, but reacting by thumping a woman? Think he's way out of line.

Well, I think the aspiration is kinda not hitting anyone!

Heat of the moment someone hits you with a bottle, you aren't going to react? Fair enough.
    But particularly not a woman. Even if she has been really bold. As for self defence, pfffft. What did she have, a crate of bottles to hand? Even if she had another to hand, which is not suggested, could an athlete not have moved out of the way? If she had only the one bottle, was he afraid she was gonna tear him limb from limb with her bare hands?

Why are you talking multiple bottles? Someone hits you the natural response is to defend yourself regardless of gender. A bottle to the face will hurt and could have been more serious than it was but the intent to hurt him was there by the bottle hitting him in the first place and thus his reaction being self defense no matter how you want to swing this.
    I can appreciate him getting mad, but reacting by thumping a woman? Think he's way out of line.

Thumping? He slapped her not thumped her there is a difference between the two. Personally anyone hits me with a bottle they will get thumped but all the reports say pacman slapped her.

Here ya go.....

8kUnKK.gif

Actually, I should amend my post, hitting can sometimes be amusing!

Why are you talking multiple bottles? Someone hits you the natural response is to defend yourself regardless of gender. A bottle to the face will hurt and could have been more serious than it was but the intent to hurt him was there by the bottle hitting him in the first place and thus his reaction being self defense no matter how you want to swing this...

Ummmm.

It follows from your post.

You said self defence. Obviously, as a matter of law and common sense, one cannot claim self defence if the threat is over. I was asking how could it possibly be self defence once the bottle was gone, unless she had a row of bottles and there was likelihood of another coming his way.

I think you may be thinking of provocation. Which is not a defence to assault in this part of the world, though it may go to mitigation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

But particularly not a woman. Even if she has been really bold.

We're not talking about 5 year olds writing on the wall. She was not "bold", if his story is true she committed assault with a weapon. Throwing a bottle at someone's head can very easily blind them ffs. Her gender is beyond irrelevant at that stage - I'd laud him for the restraint he showed in not lamping her tbh.

Ummmm.

It follows from your post.

You said self defence. Obviously, as a matter of law and common sense, one cannot claim self defence if the threat is over. I was asking how could it possibly be self defence once the bottle was gone, unless she had a row of bottles and there was likelihood of another coming his way.

I think you may be thinking of provocation. Which is not a defence to assault in this part of the world, though it may go to mitigation.

I actually don't care if I am wrong on the whole self defense angle. Way I see it you hit me with a bottle I will hit you back in retaliation and gender wont come into it. A weapon is a weapon whether a glass bottle or a gun. Had she slapped him and not used the bottle I would say ok did the slap hurt? No? Laugh and walk off. But anyone who picks up an item to hit another person in rage deserves a slap.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    We're not talking about 5 year olds writing on the wall. She was not "bold", if his story is true she committed assault with a weapon. Throwing a bottle at someone's head can very easily blind them ffs. Her gender is beyond irrelevant at that stage - I'd laud him for the restraint he showed in not lamping her tbh.

If the story is true, the people investigating the matter arrested him. Is there any suggestion she was arrested?

That is not conclusive of course. But it is fact. I appreciate he claims provocation and that the arrest was wrong.

You think he should have lamped her? I guess if he shows the Court that deserved that, whatever that means, he may just get a slap on the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

This is hilarious news.

I actually don't care if I am wrong on the whole self defense angle. Way I see it you hit me with a bottle I will hit you back in retaliation and gender wont come into it. A weapon is a weapon whether a glass bottle or a gun...

But it's not some unusual glitch in the law, it's simply an application of the common sense maxim that two wrongs don't make a right. As you say, if he hit her, let's be realistic his response may not have been self defence at all, it was more likely to be the word you now use, "retaliation", pay back, revenge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Rumours that Leach is getting shipped out of Baltimore.

I'd love the Titans to take him however with Walker and Thompson both pretty good at blocking it would probably mean Stevens getting chopped.

But it's not some unusual glitch in the law, it's simply an application of the common sense maxim that two wrongs don't make a right. As you say, if he hit her, let's be realistic his response may not have been self defence at all, it was more likely to be the word you now use, "retaliation", pay back, revenge.

So what if him hitting back was not self defense either way you will find very few people who would not retaliate in some way if someone threw a bottle at them that hit them in the face. Wrong or right he did what most of us would do.

Simple facts are most people would retaliate if a weapon was used to strike them. I would also go out and say most people would probably get away with the retaliation if arrested once the truth came out they acted out after they were struck with what can be considered a weapon.

Jones slapped her. She hit him with a bottle. If he goes to jail for that there is something very wrong with the system especially if she walks away without being charged.

Simple facts are most people would retaliate if a weapon was used to strike them. I would also go out and say most people would probably get away with the retaliation if arrested once the truth came out they acted out after they were struck with what can be considered a weapon...

As you were being careful to distinguish a thump from a slap, you will accept that all we know is that he claims she threw a bottle at him. We do not know that that is "the truth". I would imagine he will have a very well paid attorney to press that point and if it is indeed valid he may well have defences open to him. We do know that he has a long history of assaulting non bottle throwing women, although in fairness to him he is entitled to have this one considered in isolation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Perfect teammates

Gronk: "I'd fcuk Tebow to take his virginity"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

As you were being careful to distinguish a thump from a slap, you will accept that all we know is that he claims she threw a bottle at him. We do not know that that is "the truth". I would imagine he will have a very well paid attorney to press that point and if it is indeed valid he may well have defences open to him. We do know that he has a long history of assaulting non bottle throwing women, although in fairness to him he is entitled to have this one considered in isolation.

He is? I hope not.

Prior should always be included to build up a good sense of the character of the accused. Bad things happen when you try to isolate cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

patriots have signed tebow

Syferus wrote: »
    He is? I hope not.

Prior should always be included to build up a good sense of the character of the accused. Bad things happen when you try to isolate cases.

But character should only be considered after guilt has been established. The case should be considered on its own merits and to establish what happened and whether he is guilty of an offence in this instance, to use another old line you can't give a dog a bad name and hang it. It's rare that prior can be considered before sentencing, and only in very qualified circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Rumours that Leach is getting shipped out of Baltimore.

I'd love the Titans to take him however with Walker and Thompson both pretty good at blocking it would probably mean Stevens getting chopped.

Yep, he's gone.

Ravens dramatically reduced the number of plays with a full back last year (Leach only played in 42% of offensive snaps), he was due to be paid $3m, and we had drafted a full back in the fourth round. Makes sense from a salary cap point of view, and we have $6.6m in salary cap room now after the Leach cut.

Gutted to see him go mind as he was apparently a great person to have around the place and obviously he was an absolute animal when it came to blocking.

I hope he lands in a nice spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Leach, Pollard and Boldin.

Among the toughest players in the leage, all gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Looks like I could be the bengals on hard knocks this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Dolphins looking at Leach! FB ranks pretty low on importance nowadays, but Leach could really help take the pressure of Tannehill who in my mind is good, but not ready to carry an offence like RG3 or Luck, never mind some of the other QB veterans like manning, Brady or Breese etc!

phatkev wrote: »
    Looks like I could be the bengals on hard knocks this year

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9389548/cincinnati-bengals-featured-hbo-hard-knocks-according-reports
    The Cincinnati Bengals will be featured on HBO's "Hard Knocks: Training Camp" for the second time in five seasons, according to media reports.

The official announcement from HBO and the NFL is expected next week, the Cincinnati Enquirer reported. The Bengals also were featured in 2009.

The news originally was reported on Twitter by Philadelphia Daily News writer Paul Domowitch, who later deleted his tweet. The Cincinnati Enquirer then confirmed the news through league sources.

There was little interest among teams in appearing on the popular reality series this year, with only one team other than the Bengals showing interest, the Enquirer said. Sources told ESPN last year that both the New York Jets and Atlanta Falcons declined to appear on the 2012 edition.

The Bengals went 10-6 in 2009 and won the AFC North. At the time, quarterback Carson Palmer and wide receiver Chad Johnson led the team. They have since been replaced by Andy Dalton and A.J. Green. Coach Marvin Lewis will be on the show for a third time (he made his first appearance as the Baltimore Ravens' defensive coordinator in 2001, the debut season). Only 13 current Bengals players were with the team in 2009, the Enquirer said.

The other teams to star on the show in previous seasons were the Dallas Cowboys (2002 and 2008), Kansas City Chiefs (2007), New York Jets (2010) and Miami Dolphins (2012).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Advertisement

82 days until the start of the season, and 50 days until pre-season starts. I know it's still a long way away, but the days are ticking down nicely IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement