Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Defensive driving that's it :)

Even if you are driving at 60 or 50km/h someone could drive out in front of you last second and kill you.

I still don't thing Jous speed was excessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

I still don't thing Jous speed was excessive.

Me neither ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

CiniO wrote: »

So even if OP didn't stop in time, it would be other driver's fault, as he pulled in. (obviously assuming speed limit there was 100km/h).

So, what is the speed limit on that road, Joujoujou? Where is it?

Looks like an 80kmh road to me.

I think it's unreasonable to post a video of you breaking the speed limit and expect no comments on it.

Just to be clear, I think the driver of the 4x4 did a stupid thing, but it's mitigated a bit by the fact that he might not have expected a driver to be coming at him so fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Had very similar situation few days ago:

Your attitude here pisses me off ... what was to be gained by sitting on the horn like that? It is probably making an elderly person frightened and liable to make unpredictable manoeuvres... like he did, diving towards the hedge.

Fair enough, they were in the wrong .. you were able to slow in time like a good observant driver should do. Could you not just let the person be on their way without blasting the crap out of them?

salonfire wrote: »
    Your attitude here pisses me off ... what was to be gained by sitting on the horn like that? It is probably making an elderly person frightened and liable to make unpredictable manoeuvres... like he did, diving towards the hedge.

Fair enough, they were in the wrong .. you were able to slow in time like a good observant driver should do. Could you not just let the person be on their way without blasting the crap out of them?

I always use the horn in such cases, unless I need to turn the steering wheel fast (f.e. to prevent skid) and I'm not able to have spare finger to put the horn on.

Horn is to warn other road users of dangerous situation, that's why I think it's worth to use it if there is dangerous situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

So they don't think there's a problem and do it again and again??? We should all beep more, flash more and show its not ok to drive like a complete a$$hole with no regard for everyone elses safety. They then might be a little more considerate for everyone elses safety. Its their 'feelings' versus our lives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Some roads are better, some are not.
    They are definitely wider, but that's not much of an achievement, as it's hard to find any country in Europe with road more narrow than Irish ;)
    Generally motorways and national roads are of very good standard, while local and regional roads often have damaged surface and potholes. Generally very similar like in Ireland.

Here's another one - from yesterday.
    This actually ended up in the news, and I think driver run away - they are looking for him. (or maybe they found him already - I don't know).

BTW - that's residential area signed by this sign, so speed limit of 20km/h applies, and pedestrians have right of way over cars.
    strefa_zamieszkania.jpg

That one is actually quite funny tbh, motorist revenge on all cyclists who dont obey the ROTR

• Registered Users Posts: 13,559 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Max Power1 wrote: »
    That one is actually quite funny tbh, motorist revenge on all cyclists who dont obey the ROTR
    Well, not so funny considering cyclist died in hospital later.

joujoujou wrote: »

Any info in regards this?

joujoujou wrote: »

Didnt read that anywhere...

Not funny for the family of that cyclist then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Strange sense of humour. Quite sociopathic even.

gutteruu wrote: »
    So they don't think there's a problem and do it again and again??? We should all beep more, flash more and show its not ok to drive like a complete a$$hole with no regard for everyone elses safety. They then might be a little more considerate for everyone elses safety. Its their 'feelings' versus our lives?

CiniO's life was not in danger. Don't try pretend this was an immediate, life threatening situation.

The driver made a small error in judgement. Small because CiniO still has ample space to slow down. If that car had cut CiniO up a bit closer, that puts him in immediate danger, then I agree use of the horn like that is justified.

That person could be badly shaken up being blasted like that. Is making another driver nervous and shook-up a good thing?

I get cut up like that too. Everyone does, it is part of driving and should not come as a surprise to anyone that it happens. Unless it is truely a life threatening situation, I would never blast another person like that.

Cedrus wrote: »
    Strange sense of humour. Quite sociopathic even.

Sociopathic might be pushing it no? Just a hatred for cyclists that get away with breaking the RTA on a daily basis.

Obviously it's different if the guy died.:o

CiniO's life was not in danger. Don't try pretend this was an immediate, life threatening situation.

The driver made a small error in judgement. Small because CiniO still has ample space to slow down. If that car had cut CiniO up a bit closer, that puts him in immediate danger, then I agree use of the horn like that is justified.

That person could be badly shaken up being blasted like that. Is making another driver nervous and shook-up a good thing?

I get cut up like that too. Everyone does, it is part of driving and should not come as a surprise to anyone that it happens. Unless it is truely a life threatening situation, I would never blast another person like that.

Oh boo-hoo! If you're going to be shook up every time someone blasts the car horn at you then maybe you shouldn't be on the road. If you're getting blown out of it regularly then maybe you shouldn't be on the road. And how could you possibly know his life wasn't in danger?
    RSA ROTR wrote:
    Using a horn

Only use a horn to:
    • warn other road users of on-coming danger, or
    • make them aware of your presence for safety reasons when reasonably necessary.
    Remember, the horn does not give you the right of way.
    Do not use a horn in a built-up area between 23.30hrs and 07.00hrs unless there is a traffic emergency.

I think it was more than reasonably necessary.

On the M1 north clip, fair play for not letting the guy cut out in front of you.

shaaane wrote: »
    Oh boo-hoo! If you're going to be shook up every time someone blasts the car horn at you then maybe you shouldn't be on the road. If you're getting blown out of it regularly then maybe you shouldn't be on the road. And how could you possibly know his life wasn't in danger?

I think it was more than reasonably necessary.

Oh, real mature tough guy attitude there. A pity that those drivers not as tough as you are not just put off the road for life. Then you would never be inconvenienced again.

I know because I watched the clip. He had ample time to slow down. There was nothing to be gained about blasting another person off the road like that. Literally, the other car pulled off the road.

Maybe that was a learner driver. I suppose you never made a mistake when you were learning to drive..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

On the M1 north clip, fair play for not letting the guy cut out in front of you.

I'm usually not one to criticise someone who contribute's clips, but I don't understand why he sped up into his path? The golf looked like he judged the braking wrong and the poster sped up to end up in his braking path. Seems like a dangerous decision?

Oh, real mature tough guy attitude there. A pity that those drivers not as tough as you are not just put off the road for life. Then you would never be inconvenienced again.

I know because I watched the clip. He had ample time to slow down. There was nothing to be gained about blasting another person off the road like that. Literally, the other car pulled off the road.

Maybe that was a learner driver. I suppose you never made a mistake when you were learning to drive..
    No L plates. If it was a learner, they shouldn't be on the road without L plates.

I rarely use the horn, normally just flash. But tbf, this wasn't that bad. He used the horn for 3 seconds. I've seen it used for a longer time against people who don't get onto a roundabout quick enough.
    gutteruu wrote: »
    I'm usually not one to criticise someone who contribute's clips, but I don't understand why he sped up into his path? The golf looked like he judged the braking wrong and the poster sped up to end up in his braking path. Seems like a dangerous decision?
    The might be caused by the Youtube stabilization of the video. Seems to end as OP seems to speed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

RE: the horn issue

I'd fall on the side which says the horn wasn't of use there. By the time the horn blasted, the car had already pulled out. The time to use the horn would be if the road was wider and you notice it pulling out in good time, in that case blasting them might make them stop before they enter your path and avoid a collision.

Actually, the use of the horn in this case might have contributed to a collision. The drivers reaction upon hearing the horn was to stop. Imagine if CinO didn't have enough space to stop successfully, it is in his interest in this case that the car which has pulled in-front of him is accelerating, as this might give a crucial few meters to create a safe stopping distance.

The horn is there to warn of danger, but using it in the right situation is tricky. Unfortunately, a lot of people seem to use it as a vent for anger, only blasting the offending party AFTER the dangerous situation has taken place. (not saying that's what CinO meant to do, I just see it alot.)

Having said all that, CinO was obviously the victim in that incident, and if he thought the horn was necessary at that time then that is fine. It's easy to sit here and look back at the ideal use of the horn, not so much at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I use the horn when people make stupid mistakes to let them know that what they done was stupid if i didn't most times they wouldn't even know that they done it.

I think the long horn use was correct as this was very dangerous, if it scared the driver then I bet the driver will check both ways twice the next time and not just glance once and pull out

CiniO had time to slow down but what if there was a fully laden 40ft truck behind CiniO?

There could have been a pile up with CiniO in the middle

I try to never use the horn to show my anger after someone done something wrong, and the whole incident is over, while unfortunately many people do it.
    I never flash the lights at anyone, except when I want to let them go or warn oncoming drivers of something (f.e. speed trap ;) )

But I do always try to use the horn when something wrong is happening, to let other drivers know that something wrong is happening.
    I don't think much about it then and I don't analyse if using horn makes sense or not - IMHO in most cases it does, including this one from the video. But generally it's better to use it even when it's not needed, than not to use it when it is needed.

I'm not going to change it.

I try to never use the horn to show my anger after someone done something wrong, and the whole incident is over, while unfortunately many people do it.
    I never flash the lights at anyone, except when I want to let them go or warn oncoming drivers of something (f.e. speed trap ;) )

But I do always try to use the horn when something wrong is happening, to let other drivers know that something wrong is happening.
    I don't think much about it then and I don't analyse if using horn makes sense or not - IMHO in most cases it does, including this one from the video.

I'm not going to change it.

That's fine. But I will say to you, that you run the risk of freaking the other person out, possibly making a bad situation worse. Rather than accelerate away from you, that person dived for the hedge and stopped. That is not helping anyone.

The horn was sounded for a long time and sounds like you were venting your anger. Not justified this time. If it was any closer, then yes, I would agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

That's fine. But I will say to you, that you run the risk of freaking the other person out, possibly making a bad situation worse. Rather than accelerate away from you, that person dived for the hedge and stopped. That is not helping anyone.

The horn was sounded for a long time and sounds like you were venting your anger. Not justified this time. If it was any closer, then yes, I would agree.

It looks like they moved into the hard shoulder which is a known thing for people to do when pulling into traffic that is moving faster so they can get up to speed.
    Doesn't look like they 'dived' for the hedge or stopped tbh.

Ya, I'm quite the macho man behind the wheel :rolleyes: I swore to myself that I'd never use this phrase on boards but jump off your high horse and grow up.

Ample time to slow down or a quick reaction to someone elses mistake? I'm going with the latter. That Yaris made a beeline for the bit of a hard shoulder that was there. IMO its a local who is used to doing this. I see it everyday where I live. They see it as the handiest way to join the main road. It could be anyone from a teenager to a guy in his 70's. CiniO's reaction was perfect. Let them know they were in the wrong no matter how harsh it may seem. It might make them think (and look) twice before they try something like that again. What if it was a wet road? The outcome could have been completely different.

As for the learner driver comment? I didn't see any L plates. Did you? If it was a learner and they didn't display L plates then they have no place on Irish roads. You know, law and everything. And yes, I fcuked up a few times while I was learning to drive. We all did. And I still do make the odd mistake here and there. No one is perfect. But you quickly learn from those mistakes when somebody else corrects you (other drivers mainly).

Your car horn is there for a reason. Its to make other motorists aware of your presence if there is a breach of safety or the possibility of danger which there clearly was in CiniO's video. Salonfire, I hope you are never involved in an accident and that some day you might realise that one lash of the horn, regardless of how harsh it may seem, might correct someone elses mistake. Drive safe buddy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I used to be a very aggressive driver, in my experience, I have never found beeping very useful (from what I have seen it will normally cause more damage than benefits).

I have to say that, IMO, Cinio use of the horn, was acceptable but not necessary. Easy to say this when you are relaxing having a coffee at work, my reaction could have been the same if I would have been the one driving...

The reason why I would use the horn on a situation like this will be two, first to stop the person from joining the main road (when I feel that if he/she attempts to join the main road I might not have enough time to stop, therefore to avoid a collision) or, if the person is already in the main road, to let him/her know of my presence so he/she can move to the hardshoulder allowing me more space in case I need it for an emergency stop or even to overtake.

The fact that Cinio had plenty of time to break or even slow down, in my opinion, means that there was no real need to use the horn, if the intention for using the horn was to made the other driver aware of his mistake, flashing the lights or a simple short double beep would have been enough, again this is just my opinion.

In all my years of driving like a lunatic I realized that the best way to avoid a collision is to remain unnoticed.

Unfortunately this depends on the driver in front of you. In Cinio's video, for example, the driver moved to the hardshoulder right after he/she joined the main road, this could be because he/she heard the horn and decided to move to the hardshoulder to avoid a collision, or because he/she saw you coming and decided, nevertheless, to join the main road anyway and quickly move to the hardshoulder to avoid getting in your path (I found this to be very common behavior here in ireland) or last he/she didnt see you until you beeped and to avoid a collision he/she moved to the hardshoulder.

I have only found beeping the horn useful when driving in traffic at a very slow speed, for example, to stop someone from moving to your lane while you are on his blind spot, or stop someone reversing from hitting you, etc. At higher speeds it will probably cause more problems than anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

This happened three times to me on the same motorway junction, twice on video which are below. You'd swear its life or death to get infront of me?? Especially the first vid:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

ando wrote: »
    This happened three times to me on the same motorway junction, twice on video which are below. You'd swear its life or death to get infront of me?? Especially the first vid:

Yup, in fairness, that's pretty p¡ss poor driving. There's just no excuse for that. Especially in the first clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

ando wrote: »

Pull out and let them merge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

Tallon wrote: »
    Pull out and let them merge!

WTF???

Rules of the road:

"Give way to traffic already on the motorway"

"When entering the motorway, exercise care and attention, and yield to traffic on the motorway
    "

Its not my job to jump into the overtaking lane to let these drivers in.. Anyway they had AMPLE opportunity to ease off and merge safely but decided to risk it all by getting ahead

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/motorways/joining-the-motorway.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement