Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Does anyone else have their LTE options unavailable / disabled on their stock rom ?

Its in the following menu Settings > Connections > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode.

You should then be presented with small screen with 4 options

1. LTE / GSM / WCDMA AUTO
    2. GSM / WCDMA AUTO
    3. GSM ONLY
    4. WCDMA Only.

My "Sim Free" I9505 does not have option 1 , where as my friends 1st round of o2 S4's does have this option -

I know we don't have LTE available just yet but it would be nice to have it enabled for when roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

rok wrote: »
    Went for a Case-Mate "Tough" instead in CarPhoneWarehouse €24.99.
    http://www.case-mate.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Olo-Cases/BlackBlack-Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Tough-Cases-2926_9632-opt.aspx
    Got a Zagg Invisible Shield too for €14.99

Prob should have held off for Ballistic to come into stock but panicked with the s4's impending arrival!

Which Carphonewarehouse did you pick the Case Mate up in? I rang them there and its not even on their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

^^ Yeah I would like to know this too.

I'm hoping to go down on my lunch break to pick up the phone and a case and that one looked good for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Which Carphonewarehouse did you pick the Case Mate up in? I rang them there and its not even on their system.

Got it in CarphoneWarehouse in Arthurs Quay Limerick 061411033
    Rang the Jetland shop and think they only had "Muvit" brand.

see pic attached with Receipt

• Advertisement

see pic attached with Receipt

Hahaha thanks, I trust you.

I tried 3 of the Carphonewarehouse stores and none have them at the moment.

May keep trying. Would like to get one asap to ensure I don't damage the phone :)

Would like to get one asap to ensure I don't damage the phone :)
    :) yeah I'm the same, once I check the phone is working I'll be putting the screen protector on it asap then the casemate.
    On my s2 I have a €20 rubber jel shell cover from Carphonewarehouse, looks cheap enough but its definitely saved the phone a few times.
    I'm hoping to be a lot more careful with the s4!

:) yeah I'm the same, once I check the phone is working I'll be putting the screen protector on it asap then the casemate.
    On my s2 I have a €20 rubber jel shell cover from Carphonewarehouse, looks cheap enough but its definitely saved the phone a few times.
    I'm hoping to be a lot more careful with the s4!

Ye I have just noticed is sliding out of my pocket a little and was worrying it would drop. I am so bad at putting on those screen protectors. First world problem I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Jambo wrote: »
    Does anyone else have their LTE options unavailable / disabled on their stock rom ?

Its in the following menu Settings > Connections > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode.

2. GSM / WCDMA AUTO
    3. GSM ONLY
    4. WCDMA Only.

My "Sim Free" I9505 does not have option 1 , where as my friends 1st round of o2 S4's does have this option -

I know we don't have LTE available just yet but it would be nice to have it enabled for when roaming.
    I don't have it. First option is not there. I'm on official unbranded UK BTU rom, didn't check when I had the vodafone rom. Does it mean we have LTE disabled? Can we enable it manualy?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭markad1

kave2 wrote: »
    I don't have it. First option is not there. I'm on official unbranded UK BTU rom, didn't check when I had the vodafone rom. Does it mean we have LTE disabled? Can we enable it manualy?

Does it not only show up if that network is available?

• Advertisement

Jambo wrote: »

2. GSM / WCDMA AUTO
    3. GSM ONLY
    4. WCDMA Only.

markad1 wrote: »
    Does it not only show up if that network is available?

Well, his friend S4 have it. I'll check service menu later.
    Is *#0011* if someone wants to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Purchased a new Galaxy S4 on Friday at 2.35pm (I'm on prepay with O2 so had to pay full whack). Gravity took hold of it on Saturday at 7.05pm (fell out of my coat pocket) and screen is broke.

Waiting for a quote to see how much repairs will be. :(

Didn't get to see half the bells and whistles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ah **** one man. This is why its always best to buy the case before you buy the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Well, his friend S4 have it. I'll check service menu later.
    Is *#0011* if someone wants to know.

Both of us just checked the *#0011# service menus and GSM 1800 was available - no LTE - but his LTE menu option was and is still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Plazaman wrote: »
    Purchased a new Galaxy S4 on Friday at 2.35pm (I'm on prepay with O2 so had to pay full whack). Gravity took hold of it on Saturday at 7.05pm (fell out of my coat pocket) and screen is broke.

Waiting for a quote to see how much repairs will be. :(

Didn't get to see half the bells and whistles on it.

Ah no way man :( I love the phone out of the case, but your comment just put it back in it.

Let us know where you get it fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

Just switched to bill pay to get this phone,had to pay a €300 deposit.Bought it anyway.I'll be like a small child waiting for the courier to arrive with it.Any recommendations for a good case and screen protector? I was thinking about getting this and this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Squaredude wrote: »
    Just switched to bill pay to get this phone,had to pay a €300 deposit.Bought it anyway.I'll be like a small child waiting for the courier to arrive with it.Any recommendations for a good case and screen protector? I was thinking about getting this and this

All I can say is cpw suckered me into getting a Zagg invisishield screen protector for like 14 euro, biggest piece of crap going - the screen is all ripply (not micro-bubbles, the actual protector is not completely smooth), it feels like sticky rubber and is completely counter-intuitive to how your fingers to should move on the screen, I thought it was just my one or something its that crap :mad: /rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

I had an invisible shield on my desire hd and it didn't last a week,I couldn't stand it.I have a bodyguardz protector on my nexus 7 and its quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

All I can say is cpw suckered me into getting a Zagg invisishield screen protector for like 14 euro, biggest piece of crap going - the screen is all ripply (not micro-bubbles, the actual protector is not completely smooth), it feels like sticky rubber and is completely counter-intuitive to how your fingers to should move on the screen, I thought it was just my one or something its that crap :mad: /rant

The original Zagg invisi shields have that ripple effect and friction. Not a fan of those either. They do have HD one's which solve that problem with a higher price tag.

Squaredude wrote: »

In that case Galaxy S4 looks like Iphone.
    I am waiting delivery for this case and screen protector

spigen-sgp-slim-armour-case-for-samsung-galaxy-s4-blue-p39051-300.jpg

http://www.spigen.com/cell-phone/samsung/galaxy-s4-cases/galaxy-s4-screen-protector-steinheil.html
    Crystal Clear is very good, used in on my Note 2.

Anyone ever used those glass screen protectors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I understand people wanting to get cases for their phones but screen protectors never worked with me.

In fairness I wan never good at putting them on but even when I managed to get it on perfectly it didn't last as the plastic started to peel

The s4 has gorilla glass 3. Surely that's good enough

Kenno90 wrote: »
    The s4 has gorilla glass 3. Surely that's good enough

Its never good enough :D From gorrila glass 1 to 3 they all claimed to be scratch resistant and with each and one of them, you take your phone out of the pocket and damn, there's suddenly a small scratch or a dent ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its never good enough :D From gorrila glass 1 to 3 they all claimed to be scratch resistant and with each and one of them, you take your phone out of the pocket and damn, there's suddenly a small scratch or a dent ;)

If you get into good habits its fine without one.

Left front: Phone, FACING INWARD
    Right front: Wallet and change
    Back left or right: Keys

Never stray from it and you wont get a scratched screen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Only just found out that if you slide your finger left or right on the home button, while browsing, its the same as back or forward a web page...cool

ED E wrote: »
    If you get into good habits its fine without one.

Left front: Phone, FACING INWARD
    Right front: Wallet and change
    Back left or right: Keys

Never stray from it and you wont get a scratched screen.

Guess what. I never leave my phone in the same pocket as keys or change. Generally has its own pocket. Yet I always have a phone that will have a small dent or scratch .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The task bar appears depending on the wall paper you set, my taskbar wasn't transparent but I've changed the wallpaper now to 1 of the default ones and it's stretches all the way to the top :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

everytime i reboot my phone i get a notification with the facebook icon that says "log in to sync applications". its driving me mad (yah, the little things tend to do this)

any ideas how to stop it coming up? i cant see any options in the fb app

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

If you go to settings, accounts, facebook and uncheck the Sync Contacts, does that do anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

@clareman
    its unchecked already and says "sync disabled" under it

• Advertisement

Besides checking it, then rebooting and unchecking it, I'm all out of ideas, sorry. That or in facebook have it set to Sync with Existing Contacts, that's what I have anyway and I don't have any issues.

Advertisement