Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2013: General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Going retro here.

Anyone remember it? :)

Anyone remember going for the volume when this came on when staying up late for Japan and Australia? :pac:

Anyone remember going for the volume when this came on when staying up late for Japan and Australia? :pac:

Had to do it again just now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

decisions wrote: »
    I have to admit I really love the sky intro.

"Just drive"

It has really grown on me too, I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Going retro here.

Anyone remember it? :)

Yeah, I hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The gaps in the "F" and "A" in that logo confused me, it made it seem as if there were two blocks on the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Had that as my ring tone up until recently and people used to give me strange looks and ask me what it was. I got the odd nod of approval from others who recognised it straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Driving Austin in F1 2012, you'd swear Tilke was the only person who ever designed an F1 track. Its like an attempted mash up of all his other abominations

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Driving Austin in F1 2012, you'd swear Tilke was the only person who ever designed an F1 track. Its like an attempted mash up of all his other abominations

All of the newer generation of circuits are all incredibly dull and similar - long straight, hairpin, few tight turns, one or two long radius tightening corners then a fast sweeping section....yawn. And they all look the same.

Bring back Paul Ricard!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Tilke rightly gets a lot of stick for making a mess of lots of tracks but Austin and Istanbul are terrific tracks with a good variety of corners that challenge drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I actually miss the A1 Ring. Only a handful of corners but sometimes less is more when it comes to track design.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

iDave wrote: »
    I actually miss the A1 Ring. Only a handful of corners but sometimes less is more when it comes to track design.

Didn't they knock it down and rebuild it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

frostie500 wrote: »
    Tilke rightly gets a lot of stick for making a mess of lots of tracks but Austin and Istanbul are terrific tracks with a good variety of corners that challenge drivers
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Turn 8 in Istanbul is terrific, but it is only what he failed to achieve with turn 5/6 in Malaysia, turn 6 in Bahrain and turn 7 in China.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Turn 8 in Istanbul is terrific, but it is only what he failed to achieve with turn 5/6 in Malaysia, turn 6 in Bahrain and turn 7 in China.

Yeah, like I said he's made an absolute mess of numerous tracks and it's crazy that he's the only guy that is being hired to build tracks but he has made a couple of good tracks as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Its not necessarily the track designs that annoy me, its the huge airfield size run offs which leave a track devoid of soul & individuality. I honestly couldn't tell where the cars where in Bahrain...with the exception of the grandstands, almost every corner looks the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

There used to always be decent races there but in these days of DRS overtaking would be too easy. I used to love that track in the Formula 1 97 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's pretty bad when people are saying that they miss the track that was the beginning of all that is wrong with modern F1 tracks. The A1 was the archetypal Tilke wide open borefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Is it wrong that I miss the old Hockenheim?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The overtaking would be insane with DRS/KERS, pass and repass all down the big straights. Marvellous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Interesting time comparison, a lot more than I thought possible

Formula 1 Austin Texas 2012

Pole position Driver 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault Time 1:35.657

Fastest lap Driver 22px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault Time 1:39.347 on lap 56

MOTOGP 2013

Pole Lap: MARQUEZ M.2'03.021 161.3 Km/h

Fastest Lap: Lap: 3MARQUEZ M.2'04.242 159.7 Km/h
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Its not necessarily the track designs that annoy me, its the huge airfield size run offs which leave a track devoid of soul & individuality. I honestly couldn't tell where the cars where in Bahrain...with the exception of the grandstands, almost every corner looks the same

Compare turn 9 and 10 in Bahrain to Brooklands in Silverstone.

• Advertisement

Helmet Marko turned 70 today...wonder if Mark sent him a card...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Helmet Marko turned 70 today...wonder if Mark sent him a card...

Probably one covered with ricin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

kksaints wrote: »
    Probably one covered with ricin.

I would have though he would be nearer 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ok, having had a look at last week's GP2 races, then Perez's defending during the F1 race, I been thinking F1 is becoming a little too pussy-footed - I suppose I'm asking what's the opinions of people with how 'gentlemenly' the sport has become. If I think of the 80's/90's era there was a heck of a lot of weaving going on. In GP2 at the moment there's guys weaving all over the place and causing plenty of incidents. In this year's F1 races, there's too much leaving plenty of space for the other guy to get by. I mean Button has a slow car at the moment, but he's not making it difficult enough for others to get by (within the rules of the sport). Perez on the other hand is but he's being lambasted about it, being too 'aggressive'!?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I thought Perez was great, the only person I heard complaining was Button whining on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

astrofluff wrote: »
    Ok, having had a look at last week's GP2 races, then Perez's defending during the F1 race, I been thinking F1 is becoming a little too pussy-footed - I suppose I'm asking what's the opinions of people with how 'gentlemenly' the sport has become. If I think of the 80's/90's era there was a heck of a lot of weaving going on. In GP2 at the moment there's guys weaving all over the place and causing plenty of incidents. In this year's F1 races, there's too much leaving plenty of space for the other guy to get by. I mean Button has a slow car at the moment, but he's not making it difficult enough for others to get by (within the rules of the sport). Perez on the other hand is but he's being lambasted about it, being too 'aggressive'!?
    decisions wrote: »
    I thought Perez was great, the only person I heard complaining was Button whining on the radio.

Did ye watch the race?! Perez hit Button twice. Twice! Perez damaged his own car in the process and could of easily blown Buttons right rear tire when he made contact with his front wing. It wasn't aggressive, it was wreckless. The only "whining" Button did was told him to calm down, I would of been f'ing and blinding down the radio asking what the f*ck was he doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I think it's a shame that the old forest section with the long straights was torn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

astrofluff wrote: »

I think F1 has become too gentlemanly and really they are sticking to a plan drawn up by maths graduates. So mostly drivers dont seem to care who passes them as long as they stick to the plan. GP2 is bumper car stuff. You need a happy medium between the two.

Maybe getting rid of pit stops might be the way to go and just let them race.

And one is already off the calendar. :pac:
    It's pretty bad when people are saying that they miss the track that was the beginning of all that is wrong with modern F1 tracks. The A1 was the archetypal Tilke wide open borefest.
    It still had old-timey weird cambers and kinks and slopes which was nice.

• Advertisement

Worth mentioning that it's 19 years today since Roland Ratzenberger died at Imola

Advertisement