Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pat Kenny Show Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"Before his world came crashing down"..

Ah come on Pat dont oversell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Why have you not heard that singer before pat? Because that song was repetitive and unremarkable. :( (imho!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

"Before his world came crashing down"..

Ah come on Pat dont oversell it.

Missed the start of this, what happened him?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

sudzs wrote: »
    Why have you not heard that singer before pat? Because that song was repetitive and unremarkable. :( (imho!)

What are you talking about ??? It's certainly warranted a "that's a wonderful sound you have" and two "Wow" s .. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

You are on the money there.
    He was a tough listen, but commendable for his work.

an aside: Why does every book interview end with stating the book price in sterling but not in Euro?

I guess it's because the sterling price is physically on the book, and then he does a rough estimate of the € price, as it will be different across different bookshops..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Also usually brit publishers and bigger brit market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Spoofer howlin spoofin' again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

...aaaand here's Gerry to show Howlin how a real spoofer does it....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

...aaaand here's Gerry to show Howlin how a real spoofer does it....

Ah yes, as someone said one day "the tooth fairy" politician.
    Good Lord have we still not learned that somebody has to pay for all the FREE services Gerry will provide ... the "Free Lunch" option disappeared a long, long time ago. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Pat's wages are back in the news today, as is the suggestion that he and other RTÉ stars should move to the UK.

• Advertisement

So you play Russian Roulette with a woman's life :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

WTF is up with fionnan sheehan ?

I'm used to him going nuts on Vincent brown but he's coming across as an obnoxious pricks on every other show he does now too.

Ironic performance on pats show when its right after a piece on broadcastet bias.

I'm starting to think hes gunning for the head Pr job with FF now for when they get back in as he sure as Feck isn't coming off as a professional journo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,014 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm used to him going nuts on Vincent brown but he's coming across as an obnoxious pricks on every other show he does now too.

Ironic performance on pats show when its right after a piece on broadcastet bias.

I'm starting to think hes gunning for the head Pr job with FF now for when they get back in as he sure as Feck isn't coming off as a professional journo

Didn't hear the full interview but in principle I like a pundit with a bit of edge. Don't know near enough about the issue to 'judge' for myself but if the judges are genuinely out of order about being entitled to consult with the govt about referendums etc. then it's good that someone is calling them on it rather than having to go through the ritual of 'objectivity'...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Good luck to him getting past Noel Whelan for that gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

The John Murray Show is just contemptible. As much stick as Marian Finucane got, her show was actually listenable in that slot but Murray's show has to be the worst on RTE's schedule (including Drivetime and Mooney).

His content is all over the place, far too light-hearted for this time of the morning. On top of that, he has a terrible radio voice and his personality just seems like a slightly out-of-touch uncle trying to talk about things he isn't really informed on. The show itself as a package reminds me of the terrible RTE television 8:30pm slot where they stick on half-baked makeover/ project shows.

They really should make good use of that slot, even just give us an hour of the international news of the day. "International News Hour" or something. It won't happen though, RTE seem allergic to international news and will spend two hours discussing a four-word statement by Praveen Halapanavar while elections are happening and bombs are going off all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

The John Murray Show is just contemptible. As much stick as Marian Finucane got, her show was actually listenable in that slot but Murray's show has to be the worst on RTE's schedule (including Drivetime and Mooney).

His content is all over the place, far too light-hearted for this time of the morning. On top of that, he has a terrible radio voice and his personality just seems like a slightly out-of-touch uncle trying to talk about things he isn't really informed on. The show itself as a package reminds me of the terrible RTE television 8:30pm slot where they stick on half-baked makeover/ project shows.

They really should make good use of that slot, even just give us an hour of the international news of the day. "International News Hour" or something. It won't happen though, RTE seem allergic to international news and will spend two hours discussing a four-word statement by Praveen Halapanavar while elections are happening and bombs are going off all over the world.
    You mean that John Murray should have covered the story that Pat Kenny is covering right now? What would you suggest that Pat do? Another cookery slot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Oh Joy. Jill "Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! Let me on! Let me on! I'm Angry over here on Twitter! Let me on! Look at me! Why is no one looking at me!" Kirby is finally on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

You mean that John Murray should have covered the story that Pat Kenny is covering right now? What would you suggest that Pat do? Another cookery slot?

No I mean that John Murray's show shouldn't be on at all.

Never understand why they don't stick PK on straight after Morning Ireland, and then have a proper 'lite' show between 11 and 1 with Tubridy or whoever...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Just listening to the discussion on PIPs. Sounds like another gravy train for lawyers, accountants etc. the whole thing would give you the pip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

Agreed but it is not as bad as Mooney. Both shows are crap to be honest but Mooney's is shocking. Who listens to this ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Just listening to the discussion on PIPs. Sounds like another gravy train for lawyers, accountants etc. the whole thing would give you the pip.
    Yep. Considering it will cost about 4000, it doesn't seem like it would be accessible for people who are genuinely stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭neris

aw poor harry crosbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Never understand why they don't stick PK on straight after Morning Ireland, and then have a proper 'lite' show between 11 and 1 with Tubridy or whoever...
    It's still the same amount of airtime to fill.

I think there is a point in having a buffer of some sort between Morning Ireland and Pat Kenny, otherwise the programming might be too same-y.

I agree that John Murray's programme is not working well, but I think that is as much to do with the programme brief as with any shortcomings that John Murray himself as a broadcaster: he was good in his business programme a few years back. And I wasn't too impressed with Ryan Tubridy's performance in the morning slot before Murray got it. It looks like they were simply given a studio and told to be mildly amusing with as little content as possible.

Perhaps the "lite" content from PK could be put into the 9-10 slot, things like the cookery slot and the musicians trying to promote their upcoming mini-tours. I don't think PK has the light touch for that sort of material, so it might be a win for everybody. All that is needed is enough suitable content for PK without that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

touts wrote: »
    Oh Joy. Jill "Look at me! Look at me! Look at me! Let me on! Let me on! I'm Angry over here on Twitter! Let me on! Look at me! Why is no one looking at me!" Kirby is finally on.

I'm no fan of this Jill's either but on this occasion she made a worthwhile contribution. She highlighted that the fees involved in using a PIP are not borne entirely by the financial institution like the so called expert was telling Pat. He was giving the impression that banks were going to be picking up the tab when this is not the case at all.

It always sounds to me like a very amateurish & unprepared show (not just this morning's!). Being presented on a wing & a prayer IMO but at least John Murray is slightly better than when Neil Delamere stands in for him - then it's just simply an :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm no fan of this Jill's either but on this occasion she made a worthwhile contribution. She highlighted that the fees involved in using a PIP are not borne entirely by the financial institution like the so called expert was telling Pat. He was giving the impression that banks were going to be picking up the tab when this is not the case at all.

If they banks are picking up the tab then the PIP is the bank's client. As Pat suggested he who pays the piper calls the tune. Of course the applicant will end up paying the bank to pay the PIP, the worst outcome of all.This will mean that the applicant ends up paying someone who is effectively representing the other side.

It's still the same amount of airtime to fill.

I think there is a point in having a buffer of some sort between Morning Ireland and Pat Kenny, otherwise the programming might be too same-y.

But isn't it hard to put your own stamp on a show when you have just an hour? IMO whoever has the 9-10 and 12-1 slots under the current set-up would struggle.

But then I think RTE Radio should be totally revamped to make R1 speech only and 2FM an Irish version of BBCR2 and a natural home for Tubridy, Creedon etc., which would automatically sort out these issues...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

touts wrote: »
    I've a lot of time for Kirby. She's an independent voice and has been doomongering and talking common financial sense for a decade now. She actually tells it as it is and does not sugarcoat the pill unlike other financial commentators who have other motives ie Jim Power, Austin Hughes, Brian Lucey, Karl Deeter..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Awful rubbish altogether alright, he should be kicked over to 2FM. Maybe extend the news until 10 in his place or start Kenny at 9.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement