Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Kilkenny Team v Clare

EOIN MURPHY GLENMORE
    PADDY HOGAN DANESFORT
    J.J. DELANEY FENIANS
    CONOR FOGARTY ERINS OWN
    TOMMY WALSH TULLAROAN
    BRIAN HOGAN O’LOUGHLIN GAELS
    KIERAN JOYCE ROWER INISTIOGE
    LESTER RYAN CLARA
    MICHAEL FENNELLY BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS
    MICHAEL RICE CARRICKSHOCK
    RICHIE POWER CARRICKSHOCK
    EOIN LARKIN JAMES STEPHENS
    GER AYLWARD GLENMORE
    RICHIE HOGAN DANESFORT
    AIDAN FOGARTY EMERALDS

Great to see Rice back but Fennelly too? Christ, they're certainly not going down to make up the numbers on Sunday (not that they ever do of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Good strong team out, great to see Rice back

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Great to see Rice back but Fennelly too? Christ, they're certainly not going down to make up the numbers on Sunday (not that they ever do of course)

Well, they have to win if they want to make the semis, and Clare are in great form, so they have to go all out really.

I think KK will edge it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Fireball07 wrote: »

Well, they have to win if they want to make the semis, and Clare are in great form, so they have to go all out really.

I think KK will edge it tbh.
    Having seen the team, I'm inclined to agree. If we can't win with that team we've no business in the semis. I thought it would be a draw before but with rice and fennelly we can have no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,307 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Was meant to go to the match today, but couldn't in the end. Just watched it on tg4. Good result against a Clare team that are young, fit and hungry. Clare had their chance to win the match early in the 2nd half when KK didn't score between the 35th-45th minute, but Clare hit about 5 wides.

Ger Aylward looks very dangerous when he gets the ball, and is increasing his chances of starting in the championship. Another good performance from Lester Ryan. His goal, and the buildup to it, is about as good as you'll see this year. Eoin Murphy made a couple of good saves. I have to say that I am more confident with him in goal that Herrity. Richie Hogan won a lot of ball from the puckouts. And Richie Power seemed to hand-pass the ball more often than hitting it! Brian Hogan seemed fairly rusty, which was to be expected.

It was great to see Rice, Fennelly, and Walter Walsh back playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

great win, and the new faces have fitted in well in this league, with a full hand to play with come the summer we will have a nice outfit again in 2013
    Hon the CATS.........................

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

Anyone know if Conor and Martin Fogarty are related, both of em from comer, am i just imagining how similar they are?!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭cat in the sack

Conor is Martins son!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Clare put up a better show than expected, and will have a serious say in championship. Not forgetting Kilkennys presence or anything but i still think Kilkenny will win the League again.

How come JJ didn't play?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,977 ✭✭✭Hitchens

How come JJ didn't play?

Injury niggle. Suits Cody in that he can try out lads like K Joyce at FB, and he did fine today.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Good win yesterday despite not being at our best. Impressed with Eoin Murphy in goal, Conor Fogarty, P Walsh, Brian Hogan was terrific, Lester Ryan, Aidan Fogarty and Ger Alyward. Rice and Fennelly just back which is great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Eoin Murphy, Lester Ryan and Ger Alyward are 3 great additions to what I would expect to be teh starting line up come championship. Fogary may also displace Jackie. So what ever happens in the lst game, the league has borne great fruit.

Rice and Mick Fennelly were match rusty but great to see these two back.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Pudders wrote: »
    Fogary may also displace Jackie.

Not unless Tyrell's injury lingers into the summer he won't.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Not unless Tyrell's injury lingers into the summer he won't.

Look I'm a village man and a great fan of Jackie but he wasn't great in the initial league matches and his pace isn't great (to be fair never has been). If you look at the starting 6 backs from the all ireland, in my opinion Jackie would be the one most at threat to some of the new lads.

The forwards and midfield are more interesting.

Which 2 and 6 would you choose out of:

Ryan, Mick Fennelly, Buckley and Rice. Ryan and Mick Fennelly

The forwards is even trickier. The 6 who started the replay plus add in Ger Alyward, possibly Rice or Buckley if they don't make midfield, Taggy, Colin Fennelly really shows there is competition for places up front.

The backs would be more of a concern and in particular the level of pace we have.

I reckon there is more strength in-depth this season than during last season. A lot more players are getting match-time during this year's league compared to the last campaign. Obviously this is down to the huge amount of injuries we've had. But in the long-term it'll hopefully turn out to be a positive.

I was having a look at some of the line-ups during the NHL 2012. Richie Doyle, Cillian Buckley, Paddy Hogan, and Matthew Ruth were the 'less-experienced' players who got the most appearances. And that resulted in Doyle and Buckley making the starting 15 in the championship.

This year Eoin Murphy, Conor Fogarty, Paddy Hogan, Lester Ryan, Ger Aylward, Matthew Ruth, and Padraig Walsh have all got a fair amount of game-time. There should be fierce competition within the panel over the next couple of months for the starting places in the team for the championship.

he mightn't be any where near fully fit, but doesn't Mick Fennelly make some difference?

Hitchens wrote: »
    he mightn't be any where near fully fit, but doesn't Mick Fennelly make some difference?

The only KK midfielder I have seen better than him in the last 40 years is Frank Cummins.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Fennelly/Rice for me every time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cork team for Sunday, winners go into the semi's, losers possibly to the relegation game...

CORK (SH v Kilkenny) - A Nash; S O'Neill, B Murphy, C O'Sullivan; L McLoughlin, C Joyce, S White; D Kearney, P Cronin; C Lehane, C McCarthy, P O'Sullivan; S Moylan, L O'Farrell, P Horgan.

Strong team in fairness....

• Advertisement

Cork team for Sunday, winners go into the semi's, losers possibly to the relegation game...

CORK (SH v Kilkenny) - A Nash; S O'Neill, B Murphy, C O'Sullivan; L McLoughlin, C Joyce, S White; D Kearney, P Cronin; C Lehane, C McCarthy, P O'Sullivan; S Moylan, L O'Farrell, P Horgan.

Should be a tough match for both teams, especially with the weather situation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Whats strong about it exactly.

Orizio wrote: »
    Whats strong about it exactly.

I agree. I'd struggle to pick any of those to make the KK team other than Nash.May sound arrogant but anyone name someone in the KK team to drop for any of the above. Sad to see Cork hurling in the state it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Rochelle

Pudders wrote: »
    I agree. I'd struggle to pick any of those to make the KK team other than Nash.May sound arrogant but anyone name someone in the KK team to drop for any of the above. Sad to see Cork hurling in the state it is.

Shane O'Neill instead of Paddy Hogan...I didn't have to go very far to find one, did I?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Rochelle wrote: »
    Shane O'Neill instead of Paddy Hogan...I didn't have to go very far to find one, did I?

Hard to see how the six best forwards are KK players out of the two teams as well. Leahne would start for KK ahead of Colin Fennelly in my estimation on current form.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Formosa

Hard to see how the six best forwards are KK players out of the two teams as well. Leahne would start for KK ahead of Colin Fennelly in my estimation on current form.

Agreed, and I'd rate Paudi O'Sullivan higher than Lehane personally, so there's another one, he'd be a better pick than Ger Aylward (nothwithstanding Ger's great form at the moment) and 5000 miles ahead of Ruth.

The Fitz final aside Conor Lehane's form is awful.

Formosa wrote: »
    Agreed, and I'd rate Paudi O'Sullivan higher than Lehane personally, so there's another one, he'd be a better pick than Ger Aylward (nothwithstanding Ger's great form at the moment) and 5000 miles ahead of Ruth.

Aylward is in great form right now and scoring a lot more then Paudi Sul.

I have no idea what Ruth is doing on the KK squad, but if he was a Corkman he would probably be starting for us.

Rochelle wrote: »

Shane got completely done for two goals in the Galway game, but I'll give you that one all the same.

Keep going.

• Advertisement

So what changes would you have to the Cork team? I thought it looked pretty strong but I haven't seen much of them this year admittedly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement