Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Checked balance, I've 960 BW points lefts so if I spend €16 I'll get the 2 overpriced more recent DLC and have enough left over to get 1 weapon pack.

I'll just wait until there's a sale.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Just completed the Citadel DLC and I have to say its very good. By far the best of the ME 3 DLC packs and a fitting farewell to the trilogy. Its a big download at 3.6GB and packs a lot of content as well. I go maybe 6-7 hours and maybe a third of that was just messing around with the crew. I didn't even bother much with the combat arena which would add a few hours more. Almost the entire cast returns. Even characters that died off have new material supplied via videos and audio recordings.

Do recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I can confirm that a save file created from the retail disc will work with the digital copy available on the PSN store. I might get around to some of that DLC now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Citadel soundtrack was just released for free by bioware this evening - it's a ginormous WAV file though..

grab it here for free http://social.bioware.com/me3citadelsoundtrack.php

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Citadel soundtrack was just released for free by bioware this evening - it's a ginormous WAV file though..

grab it here for free http://social.bioware.com/me3citadelsoundtrack.php
    That reminds me I must get around to converting the ME3 soundtrack to something other than wavs. It's 742 MB :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

It's been over a year since ME3, time to start the trilogy again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Can Steam have sales on games like ME1 and 2? I had a suspicion that EA might prevent them from doing so.

I have a really strong urge to buy the bundle of ME1 + ME2 Deluxe Edition (with all the DLC). It's 30 quid or something. Lost the games and all my saves and I have a serious hankering to play them through again, especially seeing as I never played any of the DLC for ME3.

I know there were steam sales with me and me2 in them before but i havent seen them for ages on steam.

The copies i have which i initially bought on steam, show up on origin. Wasnt there a deal on origin recently with the mass effect bundle, 1,2 and 3 for 30quid?

I know there were steam sales with me and me2 in them before but i havent seen them for ages on steam.

The copies i have which i initially bought on steam, show up on origin. Wasnt there a deal on origin recently with the mass effect bundle, 1,2 and 3 for 30quid?

I have ME3.

The untidyness of having 2 copies of ME3 is somewhat unsettling to the slightly autistic parts of my brain.:o

Just had a look on origin: ME1 + ME2 Digital Deluxe = €20.

That'll do me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

In case anyone is reading this thread without having played Mass Effect, I'd advise paying no attention to this post if you plan on changing that. A stat sheet of what decisions people made in terms of character class, gender are in here, but there are some spoiler stuff you'd be better off not seeing.

Anyway, here's the stats.

Personally, I've played the first two between 15 - 20 times. I've only played 3 twice or so, but my free time is far shorter now than it once was, rather than it being a statement on the game itself. What is the take of all the people here on the stats?

Only 18% went with FemShep which is a bit of a pity as the voice acting was far superior by her than it was for him.
    64% didn't even have Wrex
    . Honestly, these stats affirm the bald space marine trope. Look how many people played as the male soldier build. I think the stats are woeful.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    In case anyone is reading this thread without having played Mass Effect, I'd advise paying no attention to this post if you plan on changing that. A stat sheet of what decisions people made in terms of character class, gender are in here, but there are some spoiler stuff you'd be better off not seeing.

Anyway, here's the stats.

[...]

Only 18% went with FemShep which is a bit of a pity as the voice acting was far superior by her than it was for him.
    64% didn't even have Wrex
    . Honestly, these stats affirm the bald space marine trope. Look how many people played as the male soldier build. I think the stats are woeful.

Few interesting stats there.

I'm astonished that only 4% of players beat the game on hardest difficulty.

I'm replaying ME1 at the moment. It really isn't a great game. Which is a pity, because the story is the best of the three (although ME3 makes better use of music to give some parts extra poignancy).
    It just feels a bit amateurish in places - not a game released as recently as 2008.
    I'd hazard a guess that all of the 3.8% of players who shot Mordin are psychopaths :P
    Seriously though, I'd love to see if any behaviours are predictors for something like psychopathy.
    I find playing as a renegade very difficult. I could never go full-on space hitler - the best I could go in that direction was "paragade" where I tend to shoot first against baddies but don't just murder innocent people for the laugh and the bigger decisions are generally paragon. A pity the game penalises you for that sometimes.

On the "space marine trope", I tried making a character but he didn't really look human. I mostly stick to the stock male Shepard because i'm lazy.
    In the first 2 games you're fairly heavily penalised for not picking Soldier, especially early on. It's not surprising that Infiltrator and Soldier are the most chosen - they're the easiest to play with.
    ME3 changes that by making the other classes far more powerful, especially in that you can equip all weapons. Also, if you're importing you start at a fairly high level.

It's also fairly understandable that people pick a character broadly representative of themselves - in my case a white man. If I was black I might've made shepard black. If I was a women I would've been far more likely to make a female shepard.

I made 1 femshep just to try something different but I also made her Renegade so for the reasons I mentioned before I kinda lost interest. I also lost her save.

There's a bit of a quirk on the Bioware website about buying Bioware points.

Normally points cost €1 per 100 points (€8=800 points).

However, 560 points costs 4.88 or 115 pts per €.

I noticed that too when i got the citadel dlc last month,

Oh and a sidenote, there wont be any more ME3 weekend challenges, Bioware posted it on the quiet on their forums during the week. Sneaky.

I noticed that too when i got the citadel dlc last month,

Oh and a sidenote, there wont be any more ME3 weekend challenges, Bioware posted it on the quiet on their forums during the week. Sneaky.

Cue a wave of the overentitled having a moan.

It was a nice touch for ME3 and something they didn't really have to do. After a year that's fair enough.

I suppose the problem that companies have with an online prescence is that there's a bitch fit every time something negative is posted by the company so as a result they're acting sneaky which will elicit further bitch fits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Doing a second playthrough of the trilogy at the moment as the female Shepard. Hale's performance is a excellent but I prefer Meer's. The female Shepard seems a bit too emotional for someone who's been in the military for most of their adult life whereas the male Shepard is a bit more disciplined.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Doing a second playthrough of the trilogy at the moment as the female Shepard. Hale's performance is a excellent but I prefer Meer's. The female Shepard seems a bit too emotional for someone who's been in the military for most of their adult life whereas the male Shepard is a bit more disciplined.

Just finished 1.

The voice acting's ok but mother of jesus Shepard's script is terrible.

It's funny, I felt like Garrus, Tali and Wrex all had perfectly fine scripts.
    Kaiden and Ashely were grand as well.
    Shepard was utter pants though. Maybe different people were responsible for his script or maybe there's an added difficulty in trying to have a solid script when you have to write it for a whole host of different personalities and outcomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Gbear wrote: »

I'm astonished that only 4% of players beat the game on hardest difficulty.

I'm replaying ME1 at the moment. It really isn't a great game. Which is a pity, because the story is the best of the three (although ME3 makes better use of music to give some parts extra poignancy).
    It just feels a bit amateurish in places - not a game released as recently as 2008.
    I'd hazard a guess that all of the 3.8% of players who shot Mordin are psychopaths :P
    Seriously though, I'd love to see if any behaviours are predictors for something like psychopathy.
    I find playing as a renegade very difficult. I could never go full-on space hitler - the best I could go in that direction was "paragade" where I tend to shoot first against baddies but don't just murder innocent people for the laugh and the bigger decisions are generally paragon. A pity the game penalises you for that sometimes.

On the "space marine trope", I tried making a character but he didn't really look human. I mostly stick to the stock male Shepard because i'm lazy.
    In the first 2 games you're fairly heavily penalised for not picking Soldier, especially early on. It's not surprising that Infiltrator and Soldier are the most chosen - they're the easiest to play with.
    ME3 changes that by making the other classes far more powerful, especially in that you can equip all weapons. Also, if you're importing you start at a fairly high level.

It's also fairly understandable that people pick a character broadly representative of themselves - in my case a white man. If I was black I might've made shepard black. If I was a women I would've been far more likely to make a female shepard.

I made 1 femshep just to try something different but I also made her Renegade so for the reasons I mentioned before I kinda lost interest. I also lost her save.

In relation to the paragon/renegade distinction I played the first game as purely renegade most of the time as I had never played as a bastard before in a game and wanted to experiment. I more or less played as a dislikeable Zapp Brannigan, arrogant, loaded on hubris/self importance and trigger happy. Not to insult the actor or anything, he does a good job imo but there is a certain harshness in his tone that lends itself quite well to either tough but fair military leader or giant space douche. In the second game I decided to play a reformed Shepard, his near death experience had changed him, he wanted to make amends for his previous douchebaggery. Instead though at the end I distantly recall you were given the choice to salvage a reaper, or something like that, and I thought yeah why not, science is good, tech knowledge would give us an advantage against the reapers, but apparently that was a major renegade decision. Inadvertently that worked out well in terms of character development, reformed Shep wasn't so reformed after all having got back his skills and powers and remembered who he was. In the third game I've decided to take more renegade decisions, in terms of just being an asshole in speech or being a bit underhand but avoiding things like genocide, the reason being the war makes our hero behave in not so nice ways because he either has to or he's feeling pressure. That said I avoided the boring cliche of the bald space marine from the start by giving my character a peroxide Vannila Ice haircut and an asshole face, not representative of me but of the idea of an 80s sci fi action hero. They got rid of that haircut in ME3! (Bioware seemed to go for draconian generic) so all I could replace it was a peroxide mini mohawk. Here are pics of Shepard according to my vision.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The voice acting's ok but mother of jesus Shepard's script is terrible.

Never noticed any huge problems there myself. The script of the game is certainly patchy in places (Hold the line?) but game scripts in general are usually trash.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Never noticed any huge problems there myself. The script of the game is certainly patchy in places (Hold the line?) but game scripts in general are usually trash.

Hang on a second...give out about anything else in the game, but I won't hear a bad word about Kirrahe. I loved that speech :P

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    Hang on a second...give out about anything else in the game, but I won't hear a bad word about Kirrahe. I loved that speech :P

"Hold the Line."

Just military bravado and chest pounding, personally prefer to get job done and go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Yeah I think that was meant to be cheesy as hell and I loved it for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm astonished that only 4% of players beat the game on hardest difficulty..

Not really shocked. Many people got turned off by the ending. I know several people who played the living hell out of ME1 and 2 and yet only did one playthrough of 3. "None of my choices ultimately matter, so whats the point in replaying?" etc.

I know myself personally I played full playthrough's of ME1 five times and ME2 three times. Only did one playthrough of 3. More than a year later, I'm just now starting my second playthrough.

I would hazard a guess that the number of players of did insanity of ME2 is double that. 8%. Maybe even 10%.

The Wrex figure is sort of surprising but when you think about it, some killed him on Virmire in 1, some will have gotten him killed on the suicide mission in 2, and a few will have him turn on shepard if you refuse to cure the genophage in 3. That's alot of ways for him to die.

Kirby wrote: »
    Not really shocked. Many people got turned off by the ending. I know several people who played the living hell out of ME1 and 2 and yet only did one playthrough of 3. "None of my choices ultimately matter, so whats the point in replaying?" etc.

I know myself personally I played full playthrough's of ME1 five times and ME2 three times. Only did one playthrough of 3. More than a year later, I'm just now starting my second playthrough.

only played through 3 once but I did a full 3 game play though for it. Playing through 3 again is like replaying the last level of a game again and picking a different option, it's the choices going into 3 that make more of a difference to what happens.

Kirby wrote: »
    The Wrex figure is sort of surprising but when you think about it, some killed him on Virmire in 1, some will have gotten him killed on the suicide mission in 2, and a few will have him turn on shepard if you refuse to cure the genophage in 3. That's alot of ways for him to die.

I guess all krogan look a like to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Varik wrote: »
    I guess all krogan look a like to you.

Okay fair point, the suicide mission was Grunt. But Virmire and then him turning on shepard in 3 still stands. :)

I loved that speech the first time and laughed my head off at the second. I'm fairly forgiving with game scripts unless they're truly terrible (Final Fantasy X anyone?)

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm fairly forgiving with game scripts unless they're truly terrible (Final Fantasy X anyone?)

Ugh! :pac:

I just got stuck into ME2 there.

I remember the cut-scenes looking terrible.

It's that pesky film grain. When you turn it off everything looks way better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

So many games put that in and I can't for the life of me figure out why! It just doesn't make any sense! It makes a game look awful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Meesared wrote: »
    So many games put that in and I can't for the life of me figure out why! It just doesn't make any sense! It makes a game look awful.
    Easy to way to avoid showing how poor the graphic really is by making it "old" and lower resolution.

Advertisement