Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arma 3 Alpha (Beta, full game)

Options
  • 05-03-2013 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭

So the Arma 3 alpha is out to buy. 25 euro and you get to play the beta and get a copy of the full game when its out. Pretty good deal IMO.

I have it downloading, anyone get a chance to play it yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Had a argument about this with a friend earlier.

They want you to pay 25 euro to take part in the Alpha, in which you are doing them a favor and finding all the stuff they messed up, and plus with it being a ARMA game even when it goes full retail its still going to be rediled with bugs.

Its like you paying me to come fix my fence.

Its Alpha, which also means they could scrap the game at any moment and you will never see your money again. Its people who are willing to pay for these types of cons, encourage other companys to pull the same bs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

They want you to pay 25 euro to take part in the Alpha, in which you are doing them a favor and finding all the stuff they messed up, and plus with it being a ARMA game even when it goes full retail its still going to be rediled with bugs.

Its Alpha, which also means they could scrap the game at any moment and you will never see your money again. Its people who are willing to pay for these types of cons, encourage other companys to pull the same bs.

Arma 3 is going to be released, its as sure as a new COD game next year. There's no question of that. People helping out by playing the Alpha means it'll be even better than expected once released, and we can help to ensure there's as few bugs as possible when the game is released. Games of this scale are impossible to clear of bugs without massive player testing.

I had intended on buying the full game on release day anyway, by buying the Alpha I get to try it out early and pay half the price the full game will be.

I don't see how anyone loses in this situation.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Just like Minecraft. Oh wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

I played death match and escape for a few hours this evening, fecking superb so far stunning game and more polished than alot of betas I've played the visuals are amazing the gunplay is fantastic as are the sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭platinums

Its like you paying me to come fix my fence...

Its supply and demand, they could have gone to Kickstarter to raise early capital for this. Ill bet theres no shortage of people signing up either.

Arma was the top game on steam very recently so they are just riding the capitalist wave.
    No in fairness they make a good product which I myself am a big fan, It would be foolish NOT to exploit it. (Damn i tried not to use that word)
    If I had the money I would have bought too.

The house models still look like they are from a SWAT cardboard training room and kind of stand out from the landscape. Thats the only bad thing i saw from some of the early game play vids. As for the landscape - it all looks a bit lush and mainly for me you seem to be able to spot enemies with out getting dazzled by hazy green textures.
    How close/far removed is it from the current gen Arma II. Does movement still feel fractured and jerky?

I should just take a punt and buy it now....really... i should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

platinums wrote: »
    Its supply and demand, they could have gone to Kickstarter to raise early capital for this. Ill bet theres no shortage of people signing up either.

Arma was the top game on steam very recently so they are just riding the capitalist wave.
    No in fairness they make a good product which I myself am a big fan, It would be foolish NOT to exploit it. (Damn i tried not to use that word)
    If I had the money I would have bought too.

The house models still look like they are from a SWAT cardboard training room and kind of stand out from the landscape. Thats the only bad thing i saw from some of the early game play vids. As for the landscape - it all looks a bit lush and mainly for me you seem to be able to spot enemies with out getting dazzled by hazy green textures.
    How close/far removed is it from the current gen Arma II. Does movement still feel fractured and jerky?

I should just take a punt and buy it now....really... i should.

Have a look at Shacktac member/founder Dslyecxi's channel on youtube, he's doing a series of videos on the alpha. First one is on movement and he says it's much improved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8vrbzNYEwM

Jaafa wrote: »
    Have a look at Shacktac ...

Aye just watched a whole load of them, very inciteful, just been to Steam also. Now downloading. Could not resist...

1 hour 40 minutes left to download. Steam you're playing with me now.. I could actually stay up to play this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

You dont have to buy it, i tried buying supporter edition but BIS store failed.

Got digital deluxe from steam instead. Arma is one of those games you either do or you dont......invest the time to learn how to play it and enjoy it or invest the time to make something that others need to invest the time to play it.

Its a sandbox, they sell you 90% of a game. Community makes the other 9% and that final 1% comes from them in patches.

Over a thousand patches or Arma 2 as of now and more expected.

Seriously impressed with this Alpha, think the best way to say it is i would pay for this Alpha from BIS as a full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

You are getting access to the alpha and beta plus a pre-order for the full game at 25 euro. That's not bad value! It will probably retail for about 40-50 when it does come out and unless the company goes under tomorrow (they aren't some start up) it will definitely come out.

As "pre-order"'s go I think this is one of the better ones (ignoring the fact their web store collapsed last night).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Best 25 euro I've spent so far this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I think I'd be interested in this but fear for my laptop. It looks to be pretty system heavy, is that true for those who have played it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I think I'd be interested in this but fear for my laptop. It looks to be pretty system heavy, is that true for those who have played it
    I haven't played it yet (too many games to play this month), but I think it's mean to run on similar specs for the previous game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Logic fail of the highest order. Arma 3 is a massively anticipated game. This gives those who have been waiting to get their hands on it a chance at doing so while also receiving a discounted price for the full game. How is that not a win - win situation regardless of the benefits it also gives BI in making the official release an even better product?

Will pick this up tonight although I probably won't get to play a huge amount due to Path of Exile still taking up all my time.

I stayed up and played a bit last night. No hacking and great visuals!

I thought it would be a sad day when I retire Arma 2, like all the other games I have spent.
    Arma 3 will be a fitting heir to this throne.

Bring on Wasteland !!!

What's your specs?

What's your specs?

W7 - 64bit
    8gb RAM
    i7 1.7 GHz
    nvidia 330m

I'm no expert but I'm guessing that my graphics card is really holding me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Big Knox wrote: »
    Logic fail of the highest order.
    To be fair to Pirate, he's probably comparing Arma to other games that dont have a strong modding community or developers who deny that there are problems or bugs with their game. By releasing the game early the modders will have some great mods and missions ready for release. It's amazing how many mods, custom missions and tweaks have been released already: http://www.armaholic.com/index.php?c=news_arma3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

W7 - 64bit
    8gb RAM
    i7 1.7 GHz
    nvidia 330m

https://store.bistudio.com/arma3-digital-deluxe-edition#requirements

Your CPU wont cut it either I'm afraid. Just like arma 2, I was getting less than 20 FPS in built up areas with lots of players and I have a 3GHz i7. Overclocking to 3.8Ghz gave a nice boost (just like in arma 2) but I reckon I'd need to be running at 4+ Ghz to play it comfortably. People with newer i7's might get better results at the same clock speeds though, mine's a core i7-950.

I'm going to play with my settings tonight and see if I can improve it but it's a shame that it doesnt utilise my 2xNvidia 580 graphics cards a bit more. If anyone has any tips, let me know.

ps Everyone who bought the game gets alpha-lite invites so I could send you on one when they become available. you dont get multiplayer with Alpha-Lite but you could test your machine that way. ( I think we get the invites in a few weeks)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

W7 - 64bit
    8gb RAM
    i7 1.7 GHz
    nvidia 330m

What kind of i7?

What kind of i7?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.7GHz

thats from the directX dianostic tool

• Advertisement

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.7GHz

thats from the directX dianostic tool

Hmm the CPU is fine, however the GPU is pretty much on the cusp. Might be a bit too slow. What's your steam username?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Dualtagh

What an ignorant statement. BI don't need the money to finish this game, they've already been working on it for years. This is just giving the fans an early chance to play the game and give feedback on what can be changed to improve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Plus, with the sales of Operation Arrowhead + Combined Ops from DayZ, they will be fine for money for the next.... 700 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I have never played any of the Arma's. Can someone tell me why I would bother? Honestly all I can see is a Battlefield/COD clone. What has this got that they don't?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Grimebox wrote: »
    I have never played any of the Arma's. Can someone tell me why I would bother? Honestly all I can see is a Battlefield/COD clone. What has this got that they don't?

Because it's not a BF/CoD clone, it's a combined arms simulator. It's one hit to kill commonly. A variant of this is used by a number of countries as a training simulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Oh god :D it's nothing similar to BF or COD.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

You paid a lot more for Battlefield, you get continuous bugs, some which were never fixed.
    Think of a map that's 20 times larger than the largest Battlefield map, and you have ARMA2. ARMA3 is meant to be bigger.

It's also more realistic, so when landing a chopper, land too hard and you may cripple the chopper. Likewise with a plane; take off too quickly, and the plane may stall and crash.

In Battlefield, you jeep has 20% armour, but still able to drive. In ARMA2, you could shoot one wheel of the jeep, and although the rest of the jeep could be grand, without that wheel it won't be going anywhere, but you could still use the mounted gun on top if there is one.

Also, fuel. Everything in ARMA2 Wasteland uses fuel (not sure if this was a mod feature or not). No fuel, you don't go anywhere. You may have repaired the chopper, but without fuel, it doesn't take off.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Grimebox wrote:

Its not much like BF or Cod at all. Its on the simulation end of things. Weapons and movement is more realistic. Reloading takes time, you carry realistic amounts of ammunation. It takes time travelling to objectives. Your not going be walking there. You will need transportation.

Basically the most popular form of multiplayer comes from community made co-op missions where you and up to say a dozen other players take on missions to destroy different targets usually seperated by seveal miles and guarded sometimes quite literally 100's of enemy soliders. You have complete operational freedom on how you approach targets and normally freedom to choose whatever weapons and vehicles you want to. There is normally a combined life pool used for respawns. Where you might have 100 lifes between you to complete certain objectives.

When you get shot you will probably have no idea where you got shot from. Ranges are huge. You can be firing at tank which is literally a mile or more away. The only way you spotted him was because of muzzle flash. You can fire artillery at targets 15 miles away and the artillery will take a few minutes to arrive. Hitting targets from range is extremely hard. Weapon ballistics are more accurate.

Maps have no boundries you can go anywhere on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83527616&postcount=63

My specs are in that thread too.

Runs like a dream

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Does anyone know can you place C4 and/or explosives and or mines, etc, on jeeps, planes, fellow team-mates, etc?

In ARMA2 (Wastelands), if you placed a mine under a dead body, it'd blow up instantly, and if you put a mine on a quad, you'd morph through the quad and end up dying whilst stuck halfway in the quad :|

Advertisement