Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep Calm And Discuss Retro Generally!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't play the re-release just the original game all those years ago. From the digital foundry article the improvements are really only minor although the removal of the real time shadows seems like a weird cut and takes a lot from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I didn't play the re-release just the original game all those years ago.

Ah, me too. Hence looking forward to the BFG edition. Not being able to see really tainted my opinion of it, so at least this time it has nowhere to hide :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Has anyone else tried La Mulana on PC yet? You can get it from GoG. It's a mix between a metroid type game and spelunky without the random elements. IT's really good fun and looks fantastic. It's modelled on japanese MSX2 games. Everyone should check it out.

Here's the Wiiware trailer:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have the original Xbox version of Doom III and it seem to come with most of the content of the BFG edition, well the steelbook version does at least.
    I'll maybe pick it up next week, depending on if the voucher fairy comes a callin' on my birfday!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have the original Xbox version of Doom III and it seem to come with most of the content of the BFG edition

Its practically the same game though isn't it, its just been 'tweaked'...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ah, me too. Hence looking forward to the BFG edition. Not being able to see really tainted my opinion of it, so at least this time it has nowhere to hide :D
    And don't forget, they just recently released the source code for the BFG edition, so I'd love to see what the community does for it. Probably add an actual server browser for online instead of the useless matchmaking that came with it. Or even develop their own mod tools.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, in the 360 version your character develops superhuman powers!
    Admittedly it's mostly the ability to wield both a weapon and a torch at the same time, presumably using some sort of velcro patch that wasn't developed yet, back when the game was first released.....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Is the general consensus here that Doom 3 was/is sh1te or something? Wasn't that the game with the excellent Trent Reznor sound pack and had it's own level editor etc? I thought it was fun enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Is the general consensus here that Doom 3 was/is sh1te or something? Wasn't that the game with the excellent Trent Reznor sound pack and had it's own level editor etc? I thought it was fun enough.

Ain't gotten around to playing it yet, lads. I only got back back Galway last night, after spending xmas back home in Drogheda. I'm going to round to firing up the Xbox in the next few days, and giving it a spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,434 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Trent Reznor did the sounds originally. However they werent included in the game and replaced with crap ones.

You can mod the Reznor ones back into the PC version.

Its just a boring game really. Added nothing new at the time, just 'fancy' graphical effects which you cant even see half the game. I dont think I ever bothered finishing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Anyone whos a member of the A&R Social Group should go over and take a look at what I just put it, it would make me happy :)

I didn't stick with the game long enough to even judge it properly. The darkness just ruined any gameplay that might have even existed, which is why I'm kinda looking forward to the version where the lights are turned on {BFG Edition} :D

Being a lover of mediocre fps', I really enjoyed Doom3 and played it, on the Xbox, to completion!
    Swapping between the weapon and torch ceased to be a problem after a while and I found the game to be quite enjoyable.
    I did find some certain similarities between Dead Space and Doom 3, especially in the use of sound and future industrial "torture" tech, machines that sound and look like they are for tear people apart but are actually part of the normal function of the mechanisms that surround your character as he moves towards his objectives.
    No, I liked it tbh.
    At least it never disappeared up it's own backside and checking the rooms became akin to using the scanner in Metroid Prime, just something you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Thought Doom 3 was a bit poo as well, they really over done the scary dark atmosphere stuff.. Now the two Riddick games are much better :)

Master of the Universe

back when Doom 3 and Half Life 2 were looming, I put together a new PC on the Dell website and bought it on higher purchase. Think the thing cost me about 1500! Absolute madness. Spent a very long time paying that off as a broke student.

Funny thing is, I never finished either of them. Probably played more Half Life DM than both of them combined. A game my previous PC was more than capable of running.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Let's never put Doom 3 (mediocre game is mediocre) and Half-Life 2 (wonderful in every way) in the same sentence again :eek:

o1s1n wrote: »
    back when Doom 3 and Half Life 2 were looming, I put together a new PC on the Dell website and bought it on higher purchase. Think the thing cost me about 1500! Absolute madness. Spent a very long time paying that off as a broke student.

Funny thing is, I never finished either of them. Probably played more Half Life DM than both of them combined. A game my previous PC was more than capable of running.

At least you had a decent PC which should be still serviceable. I once handed over £1400 to Dell for a Pentium II :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

I bought my first PC back in 95, got Quake and Mechwarrior 2 with a Sidewinder Pro as well, the whole thing cost me in or around £2,500, that's punts.
    It was a 200mhz CPU, just prior to the MMX series.
    I got a Rendition graphics card and Quake and Tomb Raider flew on it, looked amazing too.
    Later, I upgraded to 32Mbs of ram and got a 3dFX graphics accelerator instead.
    Never been without a PC since, but really only played PC games until around 98 or so, then console gaming became the one and only!

Tomb Raider looked quite remarkable on the thing though, certainly better than on the original host hardware, the Saturn.

My first pc was a Compaq Presario 5812, can't remember the specs I think it was something like AMD 600Mhz proc, 6GB hdd, 64MB ram. I eventually got a Voodoo3200 PCI card with 128MB video memory & never forget the day I changed the settings in Half Life from software rendering to 3dfx...:eek:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Ah yes, from software to OpenGL? It was a revelation wasnt it?!

Jaggies be gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I didnt get it yet, worth getting or wait till it goes for a bit cheaper?
    My son has it but he seems far more interested in DQIX, pity if something as cool as AT turns out to produce a m'eh video game, given the opportunity.
    The length is the only disappointing part. It's a really good game, looks beautiful, fantastic OST, plays well, loads of references and characters.
    It was about >14 hrs long for me (guesstimate).

You leveled up with stars hidden in stages and random battles just gave you items, so IMO, if it was EXP for battles and money to buy items in shop, it may have been a bit longer. I would have loved to play BMO's games as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Can't recall the specifics of our first family PC, but I do remember it came with a Windows 95 bonus CD that contained:

and a highly compressed version of:

That CD got a lot of use in the Ultimate household!

I bought my first PC back in 95, got Quake and Mechwarrior 2 with a Sidewinder Pro as well, the whole thing cost me in or around £2,500, that's punts.
    It was a 200mhz CPU, just prior to the MMX series.

You'd want to check your dates, Quake and the sidewinder pads weren't out until '96 and I believe the 200 MHz pentium wasn't out until then as well.

Also you were an awful high roller then weren't you, that rig would have cost £2000+ in 1996.

I got my first PC for X-Mas 1996, a bottom of the range P100 but it was good enough to run all games until 1998. For Xmas 1997 I got a Power VR graphics Accelerator. It was far better than the more popular 3DFX but unfortunately it didn't have the same support as the 3DFX. It ran everything beautifully in Direct 3D but wouldn't work on most Quake 2 engine games due to them using Open GL Glide wrappers. Still for the short time it was useful it ran the likes of Tomb Raider, Mechwarrior 2, MDK and Jedi Knight gorgeously in 1024x768 while 3DFX was limited to 640x480 or even 800x600 for the 3DFX 2.

Bring back IRQ conflicts..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Bring back IRQ conflicts..

Weirdly enough i ran into one of them today

Old pc that the video card and network card clashed on

Quite funny to watch new techs trying to sort it out:D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You'd want to check your dates, Quake and the sidewinder pads weren't out until '96 and I believe the 200 MHz pentium wasn't out until then as well.

Also you were an awful high roller then weren't you, that rig would have cost £2000+ in 1996.

You're right, it was the year after Win 95 came out,
    We were after moving back into the Nurses Res after renting an apartment in 95-96, then I bought my PC.
    I got my first PC for X-Mas 1996, a bottom of the range P100 but it was good enough to run all games until 1998. For Xmas 1997 I got a Power VR graphics Accelerator. It was far better than the more popular 3DFX but unfortunately it didn't have the same support as the 3DFX. It ran everything beautifully in Direct 3D but wouldn't work on most Quake 2 engine games due to them using Open GL Glide wrappers. Still for the short time it was useful it ran the likes of Tomb Raider, Mechwarrior 2, MDK and Jedi Knight gorgeously in 1024x768 while 3DFX was limited to 640x480 or even 800x600 for the 3DFX 2.

Yeah, sounds like around the same time I jumped into PC waters.
    Lots of messing about with Direct X to get stuff working!

Master of the Universe

Coin door on my cab is locked, keys for it are upstairs and not a single 20c in my pocket.

I feel like kid who just ran out of money in an arcade! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

o1s1n wrote: »
    Coin door on my cab is locked, keys for it are upstairs and not a single 20c in my pocket.

I feel like kid who just ran out of money in an arcade! :(

33030135.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

If Super Mario Bros. came out today:

http://imgur.com/a/VRg4v

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement