Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LETS ALL LAUGH AT PEOPLE WITH DEPRESSION!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Bench Press

I have recently ended a relationship with someone who was suffering from severe bi-polar depression. The horrible thing is, they would not get help for it. I now find myself in a position whereby I am myself severely depressed (but at least I know it I suppose). I have been drinking for 6 months solid now, all day every day just to try and cope with my feelings and get me through the day. I have been to the doctor (forced I admit, by my brother) and only told him the half truth, through embaressment. He prescribed me tablets for anxiety and sleeping tablets. I always saw myself as a healthy, stable person, who would never find themselves in this sort of position, but it happens. This horrible feeling of being down in yourself all the time. Try and keep positive if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I have recently ended a relationship with someone who was suffering from severe bi-polar depression. The horrible thing is, they would not get help for it. I now find myself in a position whereby I am myself severely depressed (but at least I know it I suppose). I have been drinking for 6 months solid now, all day every day just to try and cope with my feelings and get me through the day. I have been to the doctor (forced I admit, by my brother) and only told him the half truth, through embaressment. He prescribed me tablets for anxiety and sleeping tablets. I always saw myself as a healthy, stable person, who would never find themselves in this sort of position, but it happens. This horrible feeling of being down in yourself all the time. Try and keep positive if you can.

I find this place can be, from time to time, very theraputic and I love the fact that so many people find that they can relate to the stories of others . .

You might find something reading through this thread (if you go back from the start) that helps you find a method of trying to pick yourself up. . Stories from people that you can relate to or suggestions that might help you get back on your feet. Or maybe you wont find much you can relate to, but at least take some comfort knowing that you are not alone in your struggles to find a balance to your life.

When I was younger, drinking was my only solace (but obviously its not really, it just makes things worse). I still have my ups and downs but I have embraced help from my family, friends and doctor. Because I have spent alot of time on myself (psychologically) , it can make it easier sometimes for me to articulate how I feel (sometimes its not so easy), so when I am going into my doctor I have notes on what I want to say.

I told my new doctor about my drinking habits because I know the only way he can give me proper help is with full knowledge of my condition. I choose to speak honestly with certain people about my emotional pain because it makes me feel empowered, I am the one who decides who really knows me and who doesnt know me. I am the one who shares intimate things with people. I dont keep everything to myself because I find that my head and wellbeing suffers if I bottle things up. Like a bin overflowing, if i dont purge the rubbish that has been built up in my head, I find things can get very messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lads after a great month I came down to earth with a crash today.

The whole new house thing had me high, and I new it as I was giddy in work, but was expecting the downturn.

Being in great form, I had neglected to take my meds (issues with them) but today was an almighty crash. I was so on edge, but luckily was working from home so it didnt all kick off.

Rang my Pharmacist to get some meds, and even took a Xanax when I got them to calm me down (really dont like them)

Say Doc this eve, not a hope of reducing meds, psyc had recommended increasing them.

things were going so well, todays a real setback and kick in the teeth.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Actually I think you are coping with this very well in that you are talking about it and not bottling it up and letting it grow... Thats also the answer to why your friend tried to take his own life, because he let it grow in his head into this HUGE OVERWHELMING THING... (excuse caps, for effect).

Despair drives people to do awful things, and the answer to despair is hope. Talking really helps nurture hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hi All,

I went to my first one to one cognative behavioural therapy (CBT) class on monday and I was enlightened in a manner which I cannot describe.

Before I go on, I must stress that since I can remember (certainly for at least a minimum 15 years, possibly more) I have been searching for a life of contentment. Nothing crazy, just a sense of well being and a comfort of being who I know I am. Going to the CBT on monday was not the answer to my problems and didnt fix me in one big swoop (as I know I have loads of work to do going forward), but it was the final piece to help me on the path I have been trying so hard to find for so long. Kind of like how Cantona was the final piece in Man Uniteds jigsaw but it took Sir Alex Ferguson years to get to the stage where that final piece was enough for success.

A sense of self worth , a sense of joy, a sense of simple contentment. Things that I never imagined I could have, has me feeling a sense of spirituality (I hated hearing about this kind of thing, but now I understand it was because I was jealouse/angry/hurt that I had no sense of anything other then dread/death/anger etc).

I know I am going to have ups and downs but right now I feel a senses of peace that I cannot ever remember knowing (and im not on zanex!). Its the "utopia" feeling that I wondered if it ever existed. I feel a part of the world again.

I wont go into specifics but I am seeing all sorts of things that I sort of knew but couldnt quite put my finger on it. I feel like ive been Batman and Bruce Wayne my entire life. Bruce Wayne is the mask worn by this person to give the impression that he is something hes not to hide the real person he represents. When he wears the batsuit hes the person he believes in, the person he knows he can be, the person he wants to be . . But nobody really knows it . .

I feel like I have only allowed my "Batman" identity to be revieled to myself and the world in my head that I created as a protection measure. I only learned to trust myself and self diagnose all my conditions/feelings to myself. Instead of trusting or engaging with others I had conversations with them in my head and concluded (without actually physically ever talking to them) that the conversation wouldnt be beneficial or go the way I wanted and decided to never disclose my concerns/problem/feeling.

I got into bad habits - going to bed and expecting not to sleep and getting anxious about it and thus making it difficult for me to relax. Not liking or feeling comfortable about certain things that happened when i was younger or that have happened and instead of facing up to them, burying them deep down inside me so that the "Batman" could deal with it later when I was on my own and nobody was around.

The "Batman" in me was the person who confronted their pain, who could cry, would could talk and who could be the person I know that I wanted to be. But when others where around I was just Bruce Wayne, a pale imitation of the person I know I was. Nobody ever knew me and the first person I have introduced to the new me is my wife. I could go on and on and on, but I have people I want to talk to and I want to spread the new me to the people who have stuck with me when I have been at my most vulnerable.

I hope even one person can take some solice or comfort from this thread, I geniunley do. Im crying writing this because I am just so happy that my life is starting. Im learning to love, to laugh, to cry and to shake the fear/anxiety/anger that has controlled by life for as long as I can remember. I will not be so bold as to suggest everybody can do it because I know that its not exactly nice to read if you are still trying to find your path to contentment.

For once in my life I am not thinking about the past or the future. I am thinking about now and right now I am so so happy and content. . I know I will have ups and downs but wanted to share this moment with the wonderful people who have shared their stories and kept me feeling like there is hope and that I am not alone in my empty lonely world (in my head).

Devore started the thread and for that, he is one of the people who have helped me get on the path of contentment, but the posters on this thread have assisted me as much by sharing their pain and helping me feel some semblence of community. That while I was feeling alone in my pain, others felt similar (not necessarily the same) and in some weird way it gave me some comfort.

I may be back feeling awful or down again in the future ( 5 mins, an hour, tomorrow, next week, next year) but for the first time I am not going to lose time thinking or worrying about what may or may not happen. If it happens I have to try and build my path back to the peace I find now. Thanks again, everybody who has contributed, big or small to this thread. I might not understand you or what you are going through, but I have been in a very very lonely place for a long long time and feel that I have come out the other side . At long last I know what it feels like to feel good about myself and to feel that I have the capacity to share the real me with those who love me.

Thanks and I hope you find the same peace I feel right now . .

Oran

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its indescribable when you put that mask down and just simply be who you are and the world, miraculously, doesn't end. :)

No more pretending, no more worrying about the mask slipping, no more trying to be Mr Perfect and no more fear of not being perfect. Give yourself the right to be human and just... unclench. :)

So happy for you Drumpot. So so happy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Taking a course of anti-depressants does it be affect you when you are getting a medical for a job etc in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Hi there BP,
    Just to say if you are drinking(which you say you are)

DO NOT mix meds with alcohol, especially anxiety and sleeping tablets(I am going to assume the anxiety meds are some form of benzo's).

I can not stress this strongly enough, mixing these meds with alcohol can be LETHAL.

Take care

Family Xmas dinner went so well. Delighted and relieved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

molly09 wrote: »
    Taking a course of anti-depressants does it be affect you when you are getting a medical for a job etc in the future?

Does breaking you arm and getting it put in a sling affect you when you are getting a medical for a job etc. in the future?
    It shouldn't and one would hope the same is true of anti-depressants. It's just an illness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Jernal wrote: »
    Does breaking you arm and getting it put in a sling affect you when you are getting a medical for a job etc. in the future?
    It shouldn't and one would hope the same is true of anti-depressants. It's just an illness.

In fairness it can affect you depending on the job you are applying for.

Smidge wrote: »

Well obviously if your arm is broken and you're taking a medical to be a pilot then it might be an issue there. But if you can manage your arm's condition after treatment then it shouldn't really be an issue. There might be a note made of the possibility of you being the type of fellow susceptible to arm breaks but nothing more about it.

Metaphor aside : 20-25% of people who apply for jobs will have suffered depression at some point in their lives. If a company thinks a past history of treatment of depression (they can only find that out with your consent) is reason to reject your application then it's probably for the best you're not working in that environment anyway. (What would happen if you were to suffer another episode in an environment like that?). And, yes, these companies do exist. But the only way to overcome the stigma is to assume it's not there. If you act like you're trying to hide something you think others would be ashamed of then they're going to see it that way. But if you approach it the way Dev does, that's it's just another illness then at least then you'll give them something to think about. In other words you're not going to overcome a career stigma by accepting there is one. Btw, there mostly isn't. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Christmas isn't a good time of year for being a bit sad unfortunately :(

cheers guys

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Smidge wrote: »
    indeed,a broken arm or physical disability is accepted and more easily accomodated by jobs than mental impairments of any kind.
    the unipolar/bipolar spectrums still have a long way to go to being understood,many people in this country with severe depresion have been discriminated against in jobs because they are automaticaly assumed to be unreliable bad workers without real impairment-taking time off when very ill,taking time off for hospital visits etc and unless they are classed as disabled under DDA rules its even more difficult for them to get support and understanding.

-a favourite support staff of mine had a accute crisis through severe depression due to past life problems and she ended up being sectioned- the organisation here never bothered to find out how she was or to tell her dont worry her job is still there,no one did, they just began interviewing new staff.

*polar depressions are awful illnesses,what hope will people be able to have if the only stable things in their life are being taken away from them?

efb,
    am hoping have read the correct post here but woud recommend seeing either another gp for second opinion or if possible a different pysch,we are always told we arent the doctors but they arent the ones who live with us to see the reality or know how we feel on them-no one does,we all have different neurobiology setups and can react to medications in different ways,if believe the medication is to difficult to cope with ask about possibility of changing to another.

am really struggling with severe depression at the moment and had had cymbalta daily dose increased past sixty mg last week which is starting to work-exactly one week on now,and for several years now the damn pysch still has never took notice of the fact am suffering from episodic pyschosis to [diagnosed] which he thinks isnt pyschosis but is the brains attempt at communicating problems from withinside because of classic autism making it impossible.

so thinking there are cameras in the walls and light fittings [and smashing the bulbs out of the ceiling with sticks]/baricading self in room;paralysed with fear and rage thinking support staff and family have been sent here to injure self/having insects crawling under skin/seeing gigantic spiders fall everywhere/feeling them when they land on self/being told by weird voices in head to do criminal acts is-communicating?:confused: BS.
    wish was able to access another pysch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

HI

I have made a appoint with a psychologist, appoint in the new year, I am hoping for the best, am so scared, nervous, but hopeful

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

efb wrote: »
    Lads after a great month I came down to earth with a crash today.

The whole new house thing had me high, and I new it as I was giddy in work, but was expecting the downturn.

Being in great form, I had neglected to take my meds (issues with them) but today was an almighty crash. I was so on edge, but luckily was working from home so it didnt all kick off.

Rang my Pharmacist to get some meds, and even took a Xanax when I got them to calm me down (really dont like them)

Say Doc this eve, not a hope of reducing meds, psyc had recommended increasing them.

things were going so well, todays a real setback and kick in the teeth.
    What's your experience of Xanax, if you don't mind me asking? Lot of people seem to be on it. Try and stay on the same level of meds if possible, who wants increased meds ffs? Unless ya really had to of course. Just wondering how Xanax affects you negatively.

molly09 wrote: »
    HI

I have made a appoint with a psychologist, appoint in the new year, I am hoping for the best, am so scared, nervous, but hopeful
    Good for you! Don't be scared. Get your money's worth. Really, there is little point in going in there and pretending to be someone else. He (or she) will end up trying to help that "someone else".

Take a deep breath and go in and completely and utterly unburden yourself. Tell them absolutely everything if you can, or as much as you can, at the time. Trust me, its scary alright but once you get going it will feel better. Please believe that.

I'm so chuffed for you, you've taken the hardest step now. Every bit gets a littttttttle bit easier now. Do it. You deserve your life. :)

Oh yeah, I meant to write something for the 1-year anniversary of this thread. I will do but I missed it with all the SSF stuff and the "real life" stuff... pffff... who needs all that eh?! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Just noticed this thread, brilliant! It seems to me a lot of people are treating me different since I ''came out'' as being depressed, almost like they are tip toeing around me. Something that would have been met with light hearted slagging before has now tuned into almost fake agreeing.. Might send this thread on to a few people!

I hate that "pity" crap, or the "walking on eggshells" crap. I kinda feel like "the only difference between me and the rest of you is that I'm being honest, open and healthy about it" :)

Just continue being you and they will fall back into normality. Take it as a sign of their desire to help and concern for you (positive) instead of the "crap" I mentioned above... (I struggle with that you see :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

DeVore wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I meant to write something for the 1-year anniversary of this thread. I will do but I missed it with all the SSF stuff and the "real life" stuff... pffff... who needs all that eh?! :)

wow, that year flew by.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

My nephew suffers from mild depression. It hasn't been diagnosed officially but he does. He's 22 years old and an all round good guy otherwise.

He was sitting about at home in his mum's house in the country 24/7, so about six months ago I got him a job in Dublin and he moved in with us to help him 'get a life'.

He's still working here but it mostly involves night work so now, apart from when he's at the gym, he's sitting in our house all day, every day and it's driving me absolutely nuts.

I tried kicking him out a couple of months ago but I relented when he said he was moving to Austrailia for the year. He only pays a pittance for his room and board and he asked last month if he could stay a few extra months so he could save some more money. We agreed on condition he made an effort to get out and about and start to meet people. One month on and he hasn't made any effort whatsoever.

Any suggestions to what I can do please?

My nephew suffers from mild depression. It hasn't been diagnosed officially but he does. He's 22 years old and an all round good guy otherwise.
    I take a lot of exception to this. It hasn't being diagnosed fully? Is he getting any form of treatment or professional help? "All around good guy otherwise" correct me if I'm wrong it seems like you're implying that suffering from depression makes him a bad guy or something?

I tried kicking him out a couple of months ago but I relented when he said he was moving to Austrailia for the year. He only pays a pittance for his room and board and he asked last month if he could stay a few extra months so he could save some more money. We agreed on condition he made an effort to get out and about and start to meet people. One month on and he hasn't made any effort whatsoever.

Any suggestions to what I can do please?

This is where it's get tough. It's great that you're trying to help him but you need to realise that if it is depression, for him to make any effort at all can be an absolutely massive thing. Think of something simple that you'd do without thinking. Suppose you dropped a penny on the floor. You'd just pick it up without thinking about it. With depression, the depressive can find that task, that very simple task, of picking up the penny to suddenly become a bit of an ordeal. Simple things which many people do everyday without thinking suddenly becoming mountains and then coping or dealing with life's little problems becomes hard and if there is a serious problem, like say, unemployment, then it becomes massively hard to deal with.

I don't know if this was even close to what you were expecting to hear, but it's the reality. You need to keep encouraging him as much as you can and not lose patience. If it's depression then all you can do is really encourage him anyway you can and try to get him to seek help. You might hate him now at times or become overly frustrated by him but I'm sure in the future sometime he'll be very thankful for all you have done for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,834 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

This is where it's get tough. It's great that you're trying to help him but you need to realise that if it is depression, for him to make any effort at all can be an absolutely massive thing. Think of something simple that you'd do without thinking. Suppose you dropped a penny on the floor. You'd just pick it up without thinking about it. With depression, the depressive can find that task, that very simple task, of picking up the penny to suddenly become a bit of an ordeal. Simple things which many people do everyday without thinking suddenly becoming mountains and then coping or dealing with life's little problems becomes hard and if there is a serious problem, like say, unemployment, then it becomes massively hard to deal with.

+1
    As a parent of a son aged 18 who suffers from depression,panic attacks and social anxiety, I can agree wholeheartdly with this. He's on medication,seeing two diff professionals and is doing much better but what we can do without thinking is a massive effort to my son anyway.

Just wanted to say thanks to Jernal for what he said , often thought it but didn't have the words to explain properly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ljaulja

I don`t need a doctor to know, that im depressed, even tho went to my GP, said how I feel about my life, about myself, lost over 8 pounds of my weight, they are blaming my diet and missunderstandings with with my partner, but can`t explain why am i crying with no reason, having no interest in anything, if start to do something, quit it in week or two. Now i`m wearing kids size clothes for a year (because of my diet), have no friends simply because don`t feel like talking with anybody, constant anger and sadness, lonliness in me.
    I use to be different.
    And i cant myself.
    tried to ring up helplines for depression, but for me its just not working, i dont trust anybody, even myself, my partner and me have everyday arguments about every little thing you can imagine, anger builds up quick.
    I am affraid to to stay alone, meaning, partner is gonna leave me, because i dont want to help myself, im not trying, but if you are depressed, u dont look forward for new hobbies, traveling and stuff right?

I call myself helpless.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

ljaulja wrote: »
    I don`t need a doctor to know, that im depressed, even tho went to my GP, said how I feel about my life, about myself, lost over 8 pounds of my weight, they are blaming my diet

Doctors have not an earthling clue what's going on in one's head and easy for them in that position of power, to come up with an excuse such as fingering the dietary factors etc...
    and missunderstandings with with my partner, but can`t explain why am i crying with no reason, having no interest in anything, if start to do something, quit it in week or two. Now i`m wearing kids size clothes for a year (because of my diet), have no friends simply because don`t feel like talking with anybody, constant anger and sadness, lonliness in me.

Have you actually sat down with your partner and explained how you felt? Your partner needs to show support or understanding and back you to the wall and fight for you... not in the sense of arguing or fighting, rather, more in the positive, as in, helping you and making sure you're okie and help fight for your life...
    I use to be different.
    And i cant myself.

tried to ring up helplines for depression, but for me its just not working, i dont trust anybody, even myself, my partner and me have everyday arguments about every little thing you can imagine, anger builds up quick.
    I am affraid to to stay alone, meaning, partner is gonna leave me, because i dont want to help myself, im not trying, but if you are depressed, u dont look forward for new hobbies, traveling and stuff right?

I call myself helpless.

Its what depression does to you, exactly that, no motivation, no energy, no joy in anything and finding even the most simplest of mundane tasks extremely difficult.

You are not alone and commend you for bravery in writing this down in how you are +1! :)

Keep writing if you have to, and show it to your partner to enable to see what others have written here on this thread.

Lots of internet hugs to you.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

@ ljaulja

Probably the hardest part of dealing with depression is that first step of looking for help. Unfortunately for you, when you looked you were ignored.

Find another doctor, this is essential or if you think you can make your doctor listen then do.

Doctors are human like the rest of us and it looks like your doctor might be one of the dumb ones who think people can 'snap out of it'. From what you've said here, you need help and if you said the same things to your doctor it's very irresponsible for them to just brush it off.

I cannot urge you strongly enough to get help, yes it's hard but when you do life can be worth living again. You can actually feel happy again even if that feels far away right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

have experienced depression, thankfully not for very long spells and infrequently, the aspect of it that intrigues me most is how all encompassing it is, ie; you forget the feeling of every good mood, good day, good laugh you've ever had as if you've never ever experienced them or known what they felt like.

and also that feeling of no light at the end of the tunnel, when it does eventually lift it seems to do so totally of it's own accord.

one of the best threads created on boards.ie, hopefully a source of reassurance to many

Advertisement