Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrific Footage of Homeless Schizophrenic beaten by cops

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

jesus

whether he was or not is irrelevant.

oh? really? i'd say it would be more like riot central if the likes of those cops were patrolling our streets as it would make what happened in the vidio a very common occurrence. i think you'l find beating people to death makes people have less respect for law and order by the way.

he violently resisted arrest. 6 cops were sitting on him and he continued to resist. that is highly relevant.

i travel throughout Europe quite a bit, and i've witnessed similar tough, heavy-handed policing on more than a few occasions, without anyone batting an eyelid. most people just keep on walking. in this basketcase of a country you're probably correct, it might lead to a riot. but only because we're too soft on crime imo. i think you've helped prove my point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Simona1986 wrote: »
    There is an online petition calling for all 6 officers who were present to be removed from their jobs!
    http://www.change.org/petitions/remove-all-6-fullerton-police-officers-involved-in-the-murder-of-kelly-thomas#share

Signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

he violently resisted arrest. 6 cops were sitting on him and he continued to resist. that is highly relevant.

i travel throughout Europe quite a bit, and i've witnessed similar tough, heavy-handed policing on more than a few occasions, without anyone batting an eyelid. most people just keep on walking. in this basketcase of a country you're probably correct, it might lead to a riot. but only because we're too soft on crime imo. i think you've helped prove my point.

Manslaughter is also a crime. Just saying....

the screams of a man being beaten to death don't bother you? ffs

he was all right, but don't let your defending police at all costs mentality get in the way.

It is not the 1st and it will not be the last, while we are keyboard warriors, they are backed up warriors, badge, uniform, we are the law, fook the rules.

Don't under estimate keyboard warriors as these are the folk that make things go viral of which is spread across this planet to all sections of societies in all nations. Keyboard warriors when they want to get the word out will do so in all extreme cases so never under-estimate this.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Maybe my headache is worse that I thought, but which article is the above from? I have re-read the three you give links to and I cannot see that last sentense in any of them, the rest I can see but not the bit that names France,... As I said maybe its me.

have yourself some Solphadeine. A few dozen boxes should do the trick.

i understand The Lancet may not be required reading down at the local vocational school.
    here's a slightly less challenging version for you,

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/19/health-homeless-infections-idINL6E8JJ37820120819

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Manslaughter is also a crime. Just saying....

absolutely.
    no argument there.
    there is also such a thing as justifiable homocide.

zenno wrote: »

Don't under estimate keyboard warriors as these are the folk that make things go viral of which is spread across this planet to all sections of societies in all nations. Keyboard warriors when they want to get the word out will do so in all extreme cases so never under-estimate this.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

WTF?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

WTF?

Time for you to make sense in relation to this topic or bye bye.

Keep on topic will ye.

P.S: Mods... if this thread starts to go AWOL can you deal with it in a professional manner as I would like to see this thread not closed or hijacked by trolls but kept for future realistic update ability if that's ok ? cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Simona1986 wrote: »
    There is an online petition calling for all 6 officers who were present to be removed from their jobs!
    http://www.change.org/petitions/remove-all-6-fullerton-police-officers-involved-in-the-murder-of-kelly-thomas#share

To be honest I couldn't condone that without all the facts being shared.
    We don't know how many of them actually became involved or who. From what I can see at no stage were all 6 on top of him or beating him (I could be wrong!!)
    In any case, when the back-up cops arrived (in particular the last couple) all they got was a shout for assistance and arrived to be confronted by a violent brawl going on. They didn't have a lot of time to assess the entire situation.
    One of them is continually saying 'relax..' which is the right thing to do. That's actually sub-consciously aimed at all parties, not just the victim.
    By repeatedly using the words 'relax' or 'calm down' in a calm controlled manner people will actually relax in most instances. Unfortunately the damage was done by the time this cop turned up. I certainly wouldn't put him in the same boat as the others as to me he appears to be keeping his head and wits about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i think you'll find policing homeless disease-ridden druggies &/or gun-toting gangbangers in California or NY is slightly more hazardous than dealing with some drunken BIFFO rolling outta the local disko of a Sat night.
    doesn't matter which is more hazardous, the cops job is to deal with any incident in a professional manner, they didn't in this incident leading to a mans death. shambles.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

Time for you to make sense in relation to this topic or bye bye.

Keep on topic will ye.

Ciao!

given a choice, i would rather see some homeless guy die than a police officer.
    why? how is a police officers life more important then a homeless persons life?

doesn't matter which is more hazardous, the cops job is to deal with any incident in a professional manner, they didn't in this incident leading to a mans death. shambles.

you cannot compare the life of a cop in a large urban area of America, with that of a local gaurd in some bog station in the west of ireland.

it's like comparing an FCA volunteer on training exercise with that of frontline combatant in The Helmand province.

that you would even attempt to compare the two demonstrates just how naive you are.

relevant, but no excuse for the eventual outcome.
    i travel throughout Europe quite a bit, and i've witnessed similar tough, heavy-handed policing on more than a few occasions, without anyone batting an eyelid. most people just keep on walking.
    and? most of those countries lets face it wouldn't be the moral guardians of society anyway.
    in this basketcase of a country you're probably correct, it might lead to a riot.
    same would probably happen in the uk and france as well.
    but only because we're too soft on serious crime but hard on non serious crime imo.
    absolutely agree, a man goes to jail for 6 months over a couple of windows, a man gets 6 years over garlic, yet a rapist can pay a large some of money and be let go free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

he violently resisted arrest.

The way I saw it, he was semi-violently trying to resist a beating, not arrest.

They were shouting at him to get his hand behind his back, while basically holding him down in a way that he couldn't move it. The police equivalent of a bully saying "stop hitting yourself"

you cannot compare the life of a cop in a large urban area of America, with that of a local gaurd in some bog station in the west of ireland.

it's like comparing an FCA volunteer on training exercise with that of frontline combatant in The Helmand province.

that you would even attempt to compare the two demonstrates just how naive you are.
    really? again, a job of a cop is to deal with an incident in a professional manner, i was comparing nothing, i stated that a cops job can be difficult anywhere, just because a guard is based in the west of ireland doesn't mean he/she won't face a severe incident, its less likely but not unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

full of juce, when the aggression kicks in they cannot handle it, in manhattan i seen a cop kick the patrol car in a mad rage, his buddy could not stop him, he was looking around for some one to attack, man it was serious, i was going to film it but decided it was safer not to.

flutered wrote: »
    full of juce, when the aggression kicks in they cannot handle it, in manhattan i seen a cop kick the patrol car in a mad rage, his buddy could not stop him, he was looking around for some one to attack, man it was serious, i was going to film it but decided it was safer not to.

i think you'll find continuous and longterm exposure to violent and life threatening situations has this effect.
    strange how the local postman or librarian rarely acts likes this?:eek:

still we're all safe n' cozy behind our laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yes they took him by force. it was unfortunate he died. but given a choice, i would rather see some homeless guy die than a police officer.
    obviously it would be better if no-one died.
    it would be better if there were no homeless, drugged up schizos, but life isn't like that.

WTF :( a person is a person ffs, and tbh after seeing that video it isnt the homeless mentally ill man id prefer to see gone

WTF :( a person is a person ffs, and tbh after seeing that video it isnt the homeless mentally ill man id prefer to see gone

i disagree.

have your mum, sister or girlfriend walk down O'Connell St or on the boardwalk flashing your iPhone and get back to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i disagree.

have your mum, sister or girlfriend walk down O'Connell St or on the boardwalk flashing your iPhone and get back to me.

oh yeah because every thief is homeless GTFO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

this thread relates to an incident in America.
    please stay on topic.

if you want to begin another thread about homelessness in Ireland, then please go ahead.
    this thread is dealing with CCTV footage recording of the arrest (and subsequent death) of a homeless man in AMERICA.

i disagree.

Do you read what you post ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

flutered wrote: »

Do you know what he was mad about? Do you care? Nah you get your video camera out and record someone letting off some steam. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

i think you'll find continuous and longterm exposure to violent and life threatening situations has this effect.
    strange how the local postman or librarian rarely acts likes this?:eek:

still we're all safe n' cozy behind our laptops.

I'm completely lost at this stage, do not post in this thread again.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

mocking or being openly contemptuous of an emotional response to this incident, perhaps is a way for some humans to deflect from their own inability to empathise?

mocking or being openly contemptuous of an emotional response to this incident, perhaps is a way for some humans to deflect from their own inability to empathise?

Or just being f-ed up in the head to use a technical term.

I think Makikomi was saying he had no emotional response to the screaming but he said afterwards that he had sympathy to the person. Anyone who has been in violent situations would likely be the same. People scream all the time, it means sweet FA.

All this "if you were used to violence" boll*x isn't any excuse. I grow up in any exceptionally violent home. I experiwnced more violence and had to use more back than most. My response to this manslaughteris the same as anyone elses. As an adult do I want to beat up certain individuals in my life. Yes I do but would it be right if I do it? No. And is it worse for a man who is supposed to uphild the law to kick a mentally ill man to death yes it is. The story one poster put up about a cop kockong his car got a response "did you see what happened before"? No it's irrelevent hes a grown man and a professional. If cops assault people everytime things dont fantastic they should realise they're in the wrong job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Odysseus wrote: »
    Your comment that this poster probably works of the HSE. Whilst we are not perfect I have worked in the HSE since 96, we do our best to be respectful of vulnerable clients.

I would be interested to know on what grounds or basis you make this assertion. While I have no wish to comment on the rank and file employees of the HSE, anymore than I wish to comment on individual priests, my experience of the HSE as an institution, is that they have the same amount of respect for the mentally ill as the Catholic Church have for the victims of child abuse.

• Advertisement

steddyeddy wrote: »
    All this "if you were used to violence" boll*x isn't any excuse. I grow up in any exceptionally violent home. I experiwnced more violence and had to use more back than most. My response to this manslaughteris the same as anyone elses. As an adult do I want to beat up certain individuals in my life. Yes I do but would it be right if I do it? No. And is it worse for a man who is supposed to uphild the law to kick a mentally ill man to death yes it is. The story one poster put up about a cop kockong his car got a response "did you see what happened before"? No it's irrelevent hes a grown man and a professional. If cops assault people everytime things dont fantastic they should realise they're in the wrong job.

You just see what you want don't you? I was referring only to the issue of the man screaming not the actual incident.

Unfortunately police aren't robots. The job can be incredibly frustrating. If the worst a cop does is hit his car to relieve this frustration then that's perfectly ok as far as I am concerned. I know you just want to have your rant so I won't expect any kind of reasonable response.

Advertisement