Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Options
  • 02-11-2012 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭

Thread for the planned sequel to Marc Webb's Amazing Spider-Man

So far Garfield, Stone and Webb all returning as well as Sheen and Fields

Confirmed for Mary Jane is apparently Shailene Woodley

And in talks to play Electro is Jamie Foxx

So lets get the ball rolling on the sequel discussion

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I'm still struggling to get my head around Foxx playing Electro. Just can't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

I'm intriuged by Electro, but not with Foxx. Electro is supposed to have an inferiority complex and be emotionally unstable I just can't see Foxx fitting into that kind of role.

Still though I was very impressed by what Webb did with the first one so either way I won't be writing anything off, just seems a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,976 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm still struggling to get my head around Foxx playing Electro. Just can't see it
    Electro Diglett Nidoran Mankey Venasaur Ratatta Fearow Pidgey Seaking Jolteon Dragonite Ghastly Ponyta Vaporeon Polywrath Butterfree!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Jamie Foxx ‏@iamjamiefoxx
    Dressed up as Electro for Halloween last night. Costume fits well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I think Foxx could bring a class of psychopathic tendancies to Electro on screen plus visually it's gonna look amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I hope the series takes its own path now. tA-S was good enough, but felt too close to S-M1 for my liking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,199 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think getting Marc Webb back is a significant mistake, despite the punning opportunities with his name. The first film didn't convince me he has a worthy directorial voice for this kind of film. He's a pretty solid if uninspired director of actors, but that's as far as it stretches. He's too middle-of-the-road and inoffensive to give the films the push they really need. Hopefully the script will do some of the hard work for him, but with a mere two year turnaround between films this will struggle in that regard too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Foxx? he's meant to be a nightmare to work with so it'll probably turn into the villain show guest starring Spider-Man ala the Burton Batman movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,564 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm not sure whether to spoiler this but I will just in case

I'm really hoping to see
    Goblin kill Stacy
    turning Spidey a bit darker and not like the symbiote emo costume.

If played right, they could turn Flash into Venom in 3 but I'm afraid the symbiote storyline was destroyed by the last SM 3 so they might avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,236 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think getting Marc Webb back is a significant mistake, despite the punning opportunities with his name. The first film didn't convince me he has a worthy directorial voice for this kind of film. He's a pretty solid if uninspired director of actors, but that's as far as it stretches. He's too middle-of-the-road and inoffensive to give the films the push they really need. Hopefully the script will do some of the hard work for him, but with a mere two year turnaround between films this will struggle in that regard too.

I am very disappointed that the original AM1 storyline got cut from the final release - I think it would have been a far better movie, and better received had they kept the origin story they filmed in tact. obviously they can still use that storyline going forward with the sequels, but I think the first movie was let down by that editing decision.

I don't know if it was Webb's decision to remove it, or a studio decision he couldn't fight at the time. if it was his choice to remove it, then it would show him to be weak willed when it comes to pushing the story, imo.

• Advertisement

being lazy, what was the original story supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,236 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

sheehy83 wrote: »
    being lazy, what was the original story supposed to be?
    That Peter's powers were the result of what his parents did, not just the spider bite - i think the spider bite was meant to have awakened the powers rather than give them to him. There was to be more with the parents, and there was more exposition filmed with Spidey/Lizard that was cut. If you watch the trailers for the first one you can see elements and scenes that are not in the final cut - from action scenes to seemingly important lines of dialog - Doc/Lizard says something along the lines of "Do you think what happened to you was an accident, do you know what you really are?", as something rather big not in the movie iirc. Also, the entire promotion was placed around tellig the untold story, which isn't told - cause they cut it!

Thanks Mitch!

The Untold Story (Already covered in the movie that came out 10 years ago). The studio played it safe big time removing all the stuff that was promised, hey why take risks when cgi laden final acts are what people want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Foxx could be good, really depends on how Electro is written. Still more interested in all the other comic book movies in the pipeline though.

That was f*cking brilliant!!! Det. O'Murphy McIrish :pac::pac::pac:

I'm not sure whether to spoiler this but I will just in case

I'm really hoping to see
    Goblin kill Stacy
    turning Spidey a bit darker and not like the symbiote emo costume.

If played right, they could turn Flash into Venom in 3 but I'm afraid the symbiote storyline was destroyed by the last SM 3 so they might avoid it.

not sure it needs a spoiler as anyone who's committing to watching the sequel would surely know this?
    I think it's inevitable
    That Peter's powers were the result of what his parents did, not just the spider bite - i think the spider bite was meant to have awakened the powers rather than give them to him. There was to be more with the parents, and there was more exposition filmed with Spidey/Lizard that was cut. If you watch the trailers for the first one you can see elements and scenes that are not in the final cut - from action scenes to seemingly important lines of dialog - Doc/Lizard says something along the lines of "Do you think what happened to you was an accident, do you know what you really are?", as something rather big not in the movie iirc. Also, the entire promotion was placed around tellig the untold story, which isn't told - cause they cut it!

There's a crap load of deleted scenes coming on the dvd/blu ray that show what was originally shot...personally i think they're going long term regarding the parents, playing it out over the three films.

It will be interesting to see if Ratha shows up in this considering his fate in one of the deleted scenes

A guy i chat to on a comic forum came up with this outline for a fan fiction sequel and i love it
    I think it'd be cool to use Norman in a way that is a combination of how he was used in The Spectacular Spider-Man and the way Moriarty was done in the first Sherlock Holmes film. All these villains that show up before the Green Goblin are an attempt to "cure" whatever it is that Norman has, tying him to the creation of all these villains similar to how he was tied to their creation in the animated series (though there he was actually having them created on purpose). But what you don't know is that Norman is pulling the strings under the guise of the Goblin. We may or may not see Norman the business man strolling about as a normal guy, but we hear about all the deals going on in the shadows between Dr. Ratha and other shady individuals, and this "Goblin". We even hear his evil cackle. But we never see anything more than maybe a hand.

I like the idea of GG being a surprise villain at the end of ASM2, especially if there is a consistent build up through the movie behind the scenes. Kind of how in Batman Begins you had the mob and Scarecrow to keep you entertained, but the whole while you know they're up to something, and you finally make the connection that Ra's is the true villain if the piece, and it's not random because he's an established character. If you intro Norman early enough and build his presence and have that big reveal. Then he shows up just after Peter's given it all to take down Electro and just ANNIHILATES his world, killing Gwen. He throws her off the bridge, Pete uses a web to catch her, and is in such disbelief and panic and thinks he might have accidently killed her by snapping her neck.

Mary Jane should be established as a friend to both Gwen and Peter in part 2...maybe. A classmate. Maybe Gwen is tutoring her. Peter would but he's so busy being Spider-man. Maybe that's how they keep dropping hints but we never see her? Peter's teacher tries to ask if he'd like to tutor the new girl to help her catch up, but he's so busy trying to get out of class when the bell rings so he can suit up or something that he's just like "nopesorrygottagokthanxbye!" Then maybe Gwen mentions that she's tutoring the new girl and tells Pete that she's really cool and he should meet her and he says something about how Gwen's the only girl he needs, blahblahblah, being smooth. A couple more things like that, seeing the back of her head or being out of focus. Then, maybe Gwen is in trouble and the way Pete finds out is that Maty Jane goes to Peter's house looking for her and introduces herself and asks if he knows where Gwen is because she never met her for tutoring or something.

Aunt May: "PETER! THERE'S A GIRL HERE FOR YOU!(*mutters under her breath comically about how she didn't know Peter even knew so many girls as she walks off*)
    PETER: "COMING!"
    He gets to the door and Mary Jane looks up at him. Even though Pete loves Gwen, we cantell he's a little thrown by how gorgeous she is.
    MJ: "Hi... you're Peter, right?"
    Peter: "...right! Yeah.. and you're, uh, Mary Jane, right?"
    MJ: (*million dollar smile*) "Jackpot Tiger. (*cute-not obnoxious-giggle*) I was just wondering if you knew where Gwen was..."

Then s*** gets real, Electro fight happens, Goblin shows up and kills Gwen. Etc.

The 3rd movie is all about Peter's revenge. He's actively hunting the Goblin/Norman. He sees Norman in public and can't do anything about it and it eats him up, but he waits and attacks as he can.

We establish that in Gwen's absence, Peter has taken up tutoring MJ, but he's not the same. He's in a very dark place. MJ tries to stay positive and cheer him up, and genuinely be a good friend, but he's just completely shut off. A man on a mission: get Norman... maybe kill him. Suddenly, Peter's the one missing the tutoring sessions. MJ is upset. She's lost her best friend. She's got no one. She thought maybe her and Peter could connect, but he wants no part of it apparently. She turns to partying. No emotions, no worries, just temporary fun and good times. She tries not to worry about Peter.
    Maybe one night she meets with Peter for a tutoring session because they have a test coming up. Peter agrees to it, but seems so disinterested. She calls him out saying maybe he's just so smart he doesn't worry about it, or maybe he just doesn't give a crap anymore, but she could really use some help. He argues with her about acting like she doesn't care about what happened to Gwen. They get into it. He finally yells at her that maybe she should just go find a party to crash or something. She heads for the door, opens it, then looks at Peter... and closes it, staying with him. They console each other, admit that they both miss gwen and both have been dealing with it in ridiculous ways. They need to be there for each other. Maybe Peter brings her over for dinner and to finish tutoring. Aunt May can tell. Gwen was a nice girl, but she can tell that MJ is something special...

I like the idea that Gwen would be friends with MJ, and date Peter, but Pete and MJ wouldn't actually meet or interact much until Gwen was gone, and because she was their mutual connection (her best friend and her boyfriend), all they have is each other. In a way, Gwen is what brought them together. Peter brings MJ back down to earth, and MJ tempers Peter. In the end, I picture a scene where a police officer (maybe Detective Neil Garrett?) has his gun pointed at spidey, who has the goblin by the throat, and he is telling spidey that Gwen was already dead when she went over the bridge. The Goblin killed her. He can walk away from this right now if he drops the goblin, but if he kills him, he's just like he is. Spidey thinks of Uncle Ben calling him his hero, he thinks of Aunt May and not wanting her to be alone, he thinks of Gwen, and oddly enough, he thinks of MJ, which even catches him off guard, and how she brought him back from the brink of rage and how she said they need to be there for each other. Peter sees that there are cops everywhere and Norman is barely concious. He drops him and lets him fall to the ground, walking away, hands up. The cop approaches him, grabs Spidey by the arm, leans in close, and tells him to go on, get outta here. The less time he spends at the scene, the better. They take Norman into custody.

At the very end, Peter and MJ aren't dating. I genuinely think that it would be too rushed. I don't know that there is a way to effectively bring Peter and MJ into a serious relationship in the span of one film. BUT, before the whining begins, it would definitely end with them becoming close friends...best friends who are obviously leaning toward more. Maybe MJ aces the test she was worried about and Peter gets like an 89. He laughs about it and she's happy, so Peter thinks for a second and then asks if she wants to celebrate, go get some ice cream or a movie. MJ smiles and says "yeah, that'd be great."

We see them out on the town together, being friendly, because let's face it, they still barely know each other, at least the "real" each other.

Cue final swing. Continue building the romance between them in part 4 where it's far more appropriate, free of any baggage about Gwen.

WOW. I wrote alot, haha! I hope that it all makes sense! My mind just went wild

That was f*cking brilliant!!! Det. O'Murphy McIrish :pac::pac::pac:

"uses the myspace of search engines" fcuking hilarious :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I just hope Emma Stone resigns for Gwen Stacy.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I just hope Emma Stone resigns for Gwen Stacy.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well the couldn't tell the untold story now could they? Then it wouldn't be untold! :pac:

Thwip! wrote: »
    why?

I think he meant re-signs i.e. comes back.

Of course she will, she signed a three picture deal. One of the few saving graces of the first one, along with Martin Sheen and Sally Fields

I think he meant re-signs i.e. comes back.

Of course she will, she signed a three picture deal. One of the few saving graces of the first one, along with Martin Sheen and Sally Fields

had me wondering there ha

Haha yeah "re-signs".

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Haha yeah "re-signs".

i imagine she will, unless we're getting a certain villain aswell in this one and they "interact" in TASM2

Four new actors up for the role of Harry Osborn

Previously these guys were being considered

Out of everyone mentioned I would love if DeHann got it especially if the rumours of Michael Massee playing Norman are true

Imagine this as the Osborn family

media-12263-31933.jpg
    01~0.jpg

Dane DeHaan has been confirmed for Harry Osborn by Marc Webb
    dan-dehaan.jpg
    440px-HarryOsborn-2008.jpg

Have not seen Chronical. But isn't that Norman Osbourn in the lower picture.

• Advertisement

I believe it's Harry, but im open to being proven wrong

Advertisement