Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will we begin removing unacceptable books/movies from the past?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Behold AH. Your definition of the PC brigade has finally arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Somebody sat down and actually wrote all that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Yes, let's gather up everything made of paper, paperboard, celluloid, perhaps even parchment and papyrus that does not meet the standards of today's political correctness and burn them. :rolleyes:

It should be great fun with all those bonfires. :D

Is there perhaps also something that could be done about products that have changed their name? One, a sort of marshmallow sweet with a chocolate covering, is very popular in the Nordic countries. It used to be called Neekerinsuukko/Negerkyss (literally "Negro kiss"), as this picture shows:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_U1RwRroKUbI/SZJ5xcopz6I/AAAAAAAAAZQ/GN--ZsjL-dc/s400/mainos3a.jpg

Now they have changed the name to only "Kiss", but with the same picture.

Should we burn down factories like that, too, just in case they go back to their earlier bad habits?

Or should we just chill out and look up the meaning of Zeitgeist?:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Are you now burning old films because you couldn't get a lady to watch them with you? :p;)
    Where can Quirk Douglas meet women in the Limerick area who are into the following;
    Preferably in the 18-25 age bracket;

Silent movies (Lilian Gish, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Greta Garbo, Rudolph Valentino, Laurel & Hardy, etc)
    Music of the 20's and 30's (Russ Columbo, Sophie Tucker, Al Bowlly, Rudy Vallee, Helen Forrest, Marion Harris, Annette Hanshaw, etc)
    Classic Literature (Scott, Poe, Shakespeare, Huxley, Mann, Dostoevsky, Beckett, etc)
    Film Noir (Kiss Me Deadly, Out of the Past, The Big Sleep, The Big Combo, D.O.A., etc)
    Rockabilly, Jazz Vocalists, Krautrock, British Invasion (Small Faces, Kinks, SANDIE SHAW, LULU, CILLA BLACK, etc)
    British New Wave cinema (Kitchen Sink Dramas)
    Science Fiction television shows early 50's - mid 60's (One Step Beyond, Science Fiction Theatre, Twilight Zone, etc)
    French writers (Sartre, Camus, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Proust, etc)
    The Marx Brothers, W.C. Fields, Mae West, etc
    Playing an instrument, interest in art is optional.

Seriously.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77547247

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Fintan O' Toole

We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug.

• Advertisement

Why don't all the world leaders get together and apologise to everybody for everything that ever happened, past, present and future.

I wonder what things are we doing today, perfectly innocently and acceptably, that somebody will feel it politically correct to have to apologise for in the future..? being politically correct maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

op's legged it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

What I want to know is, when are we going to war with Eastasia!?

Thinly veiled "I'm a retard" post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,036 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

R0ot wrote: »
    Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Problem with that is that those who remember the past tend to go ahead and repeat it willingly.

Anyway. Did the OP ever come back and answer any of the points made?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Just in case it hasn't been done yet, I'm Godwin-ing this thread. OP sounds like a Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Funglegunk wrote: »
    What I want to know is, when are we going to war with Eastasia!?
    We are at war with Eastasia. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The OP is obviously written sarcastically. There's no actual argument here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

People nowadays should be more highly educated and capable of reviewing material from another era with a different perspective.

Banning materials just because we find it offensive is ridiculous.
    Should we also allow the Germans to wipe all records of the holocaust clean, should Belgium be able to expunge their history in the Congo?

We keep these records of mistakes around to remind us of where we were, so we can aspire to more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Backdating political correctness to a time when it didnt exist is unnecessary.

Cant we just put material from the past into its correct perspective and be adults about this rather than ban it for the sake of it.

If we have learned anything it should be that banning material on the grounds of its potential to cause offence will simply perk peoples interest in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Coon chicken anyone?

We should learn from past mistakes not hide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Can we at least agree on one thing, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull should be banned.

I know its a lot more recent than what the OP proposes banning, but its just as valid.

The OP is obviously written sarcastically. There's no actual argument here.

So, having been repeatedly Godwinned, thread has also been Poed?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I hadn't heard that term before but if you take the bit about Mickey Rooney at face value I don't know what to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Problem with that is that those who remember the past tend to go ahead and repeat it willingly.

Anyway. Did the OP ever come back and answer any of the points made?

Examples?

R0ot wrote: »
    Examples?

Well, just about every war in history. WW1 and WW2 for a start. Not to mention the treaties that ended them.

Wars are usualy started by people who know how to twist history to suit their means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

bluecode wrote: »
    Yes I completely agree, best idea of I've read in ages. We are haunted by the past. It's needs to be re-written to correspond to our future needs.

All media that does not fit in with our future needs is longer required. But the difficulty will be implementing it.

I suggest setting up an organisation and a popular movement. All media will be reviewed and a decision made as to whether they be banned or not. Some may only need to be censored. So new editions will need to be printed. We have a long and honourable tradition of censorship in this country. For many years we kept out all sorts of seditious and offensive material. But with that gone the floodgates have been open. No wonder the country is in trouble.

But how do we get rid of all the subversive material? Simply we can organise recycling days. Book burning has a certain negative connotation. Everybody will be required to register their books and videos and a recycling day will be organised in each community. Everybody will have to bring their banned material for recycling on a particular day. It will be a great day out but it can't be voluntary. So Special Supporters will be needed to organise folk. Each one will be provided with a distincive uniform to reassure folk that they are official Special Supporters. I suggest a khaki uniform with green armbands carrying a white circle with the recycle symbol in the middle. They will be authorised to inspect folk's houses to ensure no banned books remain by accident or oversight.

Now of course there will be troublemakers and hold outs. We need to deal with them. Unfortunately harsh measures might be needed. But through strength we may reach joy! I think prison is too wasteful of resources and the legal system too complicated so we should set up special work camps where folk can be re-educated. These can be set up in isolated country areas far away from cities.

Soon folk will see the error of their ways and maybe they can be returned to society.

I really don't see a downside to all this. I mean what can go wrong?

Thank f*ck your account is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Thank f*ck your account is closed.
    Over 4000 posts, a member from 2003 and you thought it was worth reviving the thread to say that??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Are people honestly taking the OP seriously? It seems to be a reference to banning programmes featuring Jimmy Savile, Gary Glitter etc. because of what's come to light in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Here's the solution. Republish all the offensive stuff in Latin. Then the priests can interpret it to us, leaving out the really bad bits. If all the priests have forgotten Latin, then do it in Esperanto or Klingon or something. No! How about Irish? With interpretation by the PC police? What's Klingon for making the ticky?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Will we be removing this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

The only way we can progress as a people is to remove any and all threats from the past.

So, who's with me? Once we remove the threats as outlined above, we can begin sorting out our History books. People inhabitating the Earth half a century from now will have no idea that racial division ever existed.

Yes, let's whitewash our past so we white people historically don't look so bad. Let's remove any reference to colonisation, slavery, apartheid or genocide from our past so people will never know such discrimination ever existed.:rolleyes:

In half a century from now when people talk about 'racism' in the 18th century, most people will be all like "proof or it didn't happen." They'll say things like "I read Huckleberry Finn and the Nword didn't appear once."

We should never forget what happened in the past and these movies, books and songs are remnants of that.

Advertisement