Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will we begin removing unacceptable books/movies from the past?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Ilyana wrote: »
    Really?

It's a sad day when we start imitating the Nazis.

tada!

Boombastic wrote: »
    They could launch this ban in south dublin, it could be known as the tallaght ban :D

You've been waiting a long time to finally get to use that joke, haven't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

"Have a noble gentleman like Piers Morgan interview him "

Whatever about the rest of your post, this really took the biscuit. Must be taking the piss...

ETA: On second reading, this is rather articulate, subtle and I give kudos to the O.P.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

A lot of sarcasm detectors on the blink today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

You've been waiting a long time to finally get to use that joke, haven't you?

I was up until 2 - 2.30 ish last night trying to compose the dam thing:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

I actually take my hat off to the OP, most articulate troll I've seen in all my years internetin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Lets ban schools and all books too, while we're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

I actually take my hat off to the OP, most articulate troll I've seen in all my years internetin'.

My sentiments exactly. But then again, the OP is a refined/cultivated/cultured troll. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Knight who says Meh

Just as soon as you can figure out who should and does have the right to decide what is acceptable for every person on the planet. Even then Im not sure we should.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It's a lot easier to re-write history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

ejmaztec said that re-writing history was possible but took a little effort

by jingo he was right! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you erase stuff people will soon start denying it ever happened

How about removing cigarettes from all movies ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

BBDBB wrote: »
    I'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony

but you wont get there by banning things

Well you could ban The New Seekers for a start, bring back The Seekers, then we could live in a 'World Of Our Own', quite near to your stated location.

I'm tired, it's the best I could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

The only history you should ever delete is your internet browsing history, so no-one knows about all those LiveJasmin sessions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

What's up, OP? Still feeling a bit sore over the 199 Nationalities thread? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Ban hate and violence for our convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I propose we ban banning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

ban diseases and starvation, make the world a better place

*holds up lighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Ban hate and violence for our convenience.

I think we should ban convenience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Eileen Down

Boombastic wrote: »
    I think we should ban convenience

Agreed :D

Ban hate, violence and convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Yes I completely agree, best idea of I've read in ages. We are haunted by the past. It's needs to be re-written to correspond to our future needs.

All media that does not fit in with our future needs is longer required. But the difficulty will be implementing it.

I suggest setting up an organisation and a popular movement. All media will be reviewed and a decision made as to whether they be banned or not. Some may only need to be censored. So new editions will need to be printed. We have a long and honourable tradition of censorship in this country. For many years we kept out all sorts of seditious and offensive material. But with that gone the floodgates have been open. No wonder the country is in trouble.

But how do we get rid of all the subversive material? Simply we can organise recycling days. Book burning has a certain negative connotation. Everybody will be required to register their books and videos and a recycling day will be organised in each community. Everybody will have to bring their banned material for recycling on a particular day. It will be a great day out but it can't be voluntary. So Special Supporters will be needed to organise folk. Each one will be provided with a distincive uniform to reassure folk that they are official Special Supporters. I suggest a khaki uniform with green armbands carrying a white circle with the recycle symbol in the middle. They will be authorised to inspect folk's houses to ensure no banned books remain by accident or oversight.

Now of course there will be troublemakers and hold outs. We need to deal with them. Unfortunately harsh measures might be needed. But through strength we may reach joy! I think prison is too wasteful of resources and the legal system too complicated so we should set up special work camps where folk can be re-educated. These can be set up in isolated country areas far away from cities.

Soon folk will see the error of their ways and maybe they can be returned to society.

I really don't see a downside to all this. I mean what can go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Quite correct I have amended the post and removed the word people and changed it to folk.

Thank you for your service.

Incidentally that movie will be banned too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

A couple of years ago while using StumbleUpon I came across a blog post with a picture of a board game from the 1950s. The game box depicted a boy and his father playing said board game while the boys sister and mother were in the kitchen washing dishes. The writer of the blog post was enraged that such a thing could ever have happened and was highly offended at such sexism. There was also dozens of comments about how vile and chauvinistic this game was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

edit: Just read your last post. Just realised :) (Yes, I'm an idiot) Nice troll. lol
    bluecode wrote:
    Yes I completely agree, best idea of I've read in ages. We are haunted by the past. It's needs to be re-written to correspond to our future needs.

"Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past."
    /edit

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

I detest the very idea of banning books or movies or music or whatever medium. Just as much as I detest some of the ideas and images they represent. It is VERY important to remember these. You talk about Mark Twain? I'm assuming you are on about the slavery mentioned in the books. Never mind that he was an abolitionist. I remember reading Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer when I was young and loving them. Of course I knew about the term "n1gger" and, even at that age, knew how offensive it was but that this book was written when it was "acceptable". What I didn't know at that age was the derogatory use of the term "boy". When the series came out on TV in the early 80's I was surprised that Jim was a man. I thought they had made him older for some reason until my parents told me about the use of "boy". I found this just as shocking as the other terms. That they did not even consider him a man at all, let alone a human man.

The point is that these writings and movies and music are a window into the thoughts of the past (and present)"Birth of a Nation", "Triumph of the Will" are abhorrent pictures but can be seen as a snapshot of what many people were thinking at the time.

The Warner Bros cartoons of the 40's are incredibly racist. But they were designed from the very beginning to be so. They were created to bolster troop morale and to get people behind the war movement. These films cannot be taken out of context.

Plus, when you start where do you finish? If banning was to occur then, in my opinion, the first things to go on the fire should be the bible and the koran and ANY religious text. But THAT'S JUST MY OWN OPINION. I'm sure many many people would object to that opinion but my opinion should be just as valid as theirs so what happens? Does a board decide? Should the criteria be based on religious beliefs or secular? Should EVERYONE get a vote to decide or just "an educated few"

Banning is the height of arrogance. To assume that someone cannot read or watch or listen to something and understand/contemplate the messages behind them. And that these works should be removed lest it corrupt these pleb's tiny minds: "I can appreciate how bad these ideas are but they would see this and accept it, bless their cotton socks, the poor idiots"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

edit: Just read your last post. Just realised :) (Yes, I'm an idiot) Nice troll. lol

"Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past."
    /edit
    Not really a troll. You can see how superficially plausible it is. Attractive even. I don't think the OP is trolling either.

It's all slippery slopes and road to hell etc. The exaggeration of it makes a point, makes you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the OP thinks that "political correctness has gone mad".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Isn't this the background plot to Equilibrium?

Advertisement