Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

***Motors Chat Thread*** Round 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

OK, stupid question time!

Since I have always used CDs in every car I've owned, I never had a need for AUX inuputs/cables etc.

My current car has an Aux In port and I just want to verify what I need to get in order to play songs from my iPhone? I know it's an Aux cable but is it one that has the same connection as the charger on one end and a normal headphone type jack on the other end? Possibly also a USB connection to charge the phone from the 12V socket beside the Aux In port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Head phone to head phone 3.5mm...

I have one of those which I connect my PC to my stereo but would that not have radiowave interference in the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I have one of those which I connect my PC to my stereo but would that not have radiowave interference in the car?
    Radiowaves? But it transmits the signal over a wire...?

Lovely stuff. Thanks lads ;) I'll let ye know what it's like to have finally joined 21st century ICE :D
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    Radiowaves? But it transmits the signal over a wire...?

True but when I test-drove that R3 RX8, he had a connection like the one I was talking about with the iphone charger on one end connected directly into the back of the OEM stereo and that had quite a bit of interference. It was the type that got louder in conjuction with engine revs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Lovely stuff. Thanks lads ;) I'll let ye know what it's like to have finally joined 21st century ICE :D
    Aux in is only slightly better than the old style "headphone to tape" gizmo! :p

But I have an irrational and unusual hatred of Aux-in, nobody else seems to have such issues with it! :confused:

langdang wrote: »
    Aux in is only slightly better than the old style "headphone to tape" gizmo! :p

But I have an irrational and unusual hatred of Aux-in, nobody else seems to have such issues with it! :confused:

I was just thinking that haha! I have no hatred nor love for it as I'm only going to use for the first time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

True but when I test-drove that R3 RX8, he had a connection like the one I was talking about with the iphone charger on one end connected directly into the back of the OEM stereo and that had quite a bit of interference. It was the type that got louder in conjuction with engine revs.
    That would be a ground loop isolation problem, not radiowaves either.. :p
    It gets louder as the interference is tied to operating voltage which is scaling with RPM (due to the alternator).

Matt Simis wrote: »
    That would be a ground loop isolation problem, not radiowaves either.. :p
    It gets louder as the interference is tied to operating voltage which is scaling with RPM (due to the alternator).

Obviously, I don't know much about motor electrics as it's not an area that interests me so I haven't a clue about all this :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Obviously, I don't know much about motor electrics as it's not an area that interests me so I haven't a clue about all this :)

What if someone told you they had some really dirty cables in there behind the stereo...

:eek:

The horror!

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Get a good quality type, one with gold connectors. It will be better and would be less chance of hiss over the speakers.

dar83 wrote: »
    What if someone told you they had some really dirty cables in there behind the stereo...

:eek:

The horror!

:P

LOL :D You're one to talk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

OK, stupid question time!

Since I have always used CDs in every car I've owned, I never had a need for AUX inuputs/cables etc.

My current car has an Aux In port and I just want to verify what I need to get in order to play songs from my iPhone? I know it's an Aux cable but is it one that has the same connection as the charger on one end and a normal headphone type jack on the other end? Possibly also a USB connection to charge the phone from the 12V socket beside the Aux In port.

Get one of these for the 12v socket Dave. It sits almost flush with the end of the socket, so you can plug in an ipod cable to charge it and still close the armrest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-USB-Car-Charger/dp/B003TOO3ZW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350322270&sr=8-1

The 12v socket on the e92 only comes on when you start the car, so you won't have any issues with battery drain if you leave your ipod plugged in to it.

Excuse the mess, but this is it in my car.

AA724CBA-D92A-4934-B2DC-048E95300628-4466-000005DF06ECB69C.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Its why older car stereos had a capacitor on the back of them to remove high frequency noises.
    Its also why your ht leads are carbon and not copper;)

Cd's :eek: aux in :eek::eek: what age are you.......90 :D
    You do realise its the twentyfirst century??
    Surely that german yoke you bought has bluetooth.

Or was it an option like everything else on a german car:p

I had this kind of thing in my head:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Audio-Music-Charge-iPhone/dp/B007KDPTUQ/ref=pd_sim_ce_3

It looks to be 3 in 1 but I haven't a clue!

Also, how do you know my name?? :eek:

• Advertisement

I had this kind of thing in my head:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Audio-Music-Charge-iPhone/dp/B007KDPTUQ/ref=pd_sim_ce_3

It looks to be 3 in 1 but I haven't a clue!

Also, how do you know my name?? :eek:

That will do the charging, but for aux input you will need 2 x 3.5 jacks, one for iphone and one for car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

pred racer wrote: »
    Surely that german yoke you bought has bluetooth.

Or was it an option like everything else on a german car:p

Bluetooth and iPhones don't place nice together, due to apple design.

Bluetooth and iPhones don't place nice together, due to apple design.

Yeah I know, apple are *****! But it can do music streaming, thats what the a2dp bluetooth was developed for, it just cant do fcuck all else.

Best option........get a decent phone:pac:

Not many of these left around,
    Took the photo in work today, anyone know what it is;)

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t398/Edwharding/DSC_0065.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I'm not old enough to remember those on the road :D

Were you at a Renault meet? ;)

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    I'm not old enough to remember those on the road :D

Were you at a Renault meet? ;)

Nope, in the carpark at work!

I really wanted to take a pic of a white m3 with a dacia duster either side of it, but the m3 owner was there, and hes a prick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

pred racer wrote: »
    Not many of these left around,
    Took the photo in work today, anyone know what it is;)

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t398/Edwharding/DSC_0065.jpg

R17 gordini?

R17 gordini?

Close, its a TS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Chuck_Norris

:D:D:D

:D:D:D

Aaah jaysus I thought you got a new car :(

Aaah jaysus I thought you got a new car :(

Sorry MM. But I'm am gettin very tempted by a few E39 525/ 530 Tourings I've seen.

Sorry MM. But I'm am gettin very tempted by a few E39 525/ 530 Tourings I've seen.

Is Marlow's one sold? You couldn't find a better E39 touring in the country tbh.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I remembered last week it was our anniversary today, then forgot clean about it today.

Due my bemusement when I arrived home to a cheerful OH enquiring about dinner plans!

I'm hoping there's an "i" after those numbers and not a "d" ??
    Is Marlow's one sold? You couldn't find a better E39 touring in the country tbh.

Awaiting response to above question before formulating a smart-arse comment towards you :P

I'm fairly sure it is. Think I recall reading something about him seeing it, and regretting having sold it.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping there's an "i" after those numbers and not a "d" ??/Quote]

Yeah, it would be an i alright. Been keeping an eye on my mileage of late, and even considering the way ill be travelling to my new job, I reckon I'll be doing between 12 and 15,000 a year. Probably closer to 12,000.

Good man yourself!!

Now CM - he obviously wants a petrol so go way with your dirty diesel dealings!!

Good man yourself!!

Now CM - he obviously wants a petrol so go way with your dirty diesel dealings!!

Ah here, diesel or not marlows e39 touring was incredible. You'd take it over a petrol one any day tbh.

Ah here, diesel or not marlows e39 touring was incredible. You'd take it over a petrol one any day tbh.

Never had the pleasure of seeing it in the flesh, but it did look fantastic in the flesh. I'd imagine it was far from standard as well.

Never had the pleasure of seeing it in the flesh, but it did look fantastic in the flesh.

Rightio......someone has been injecting petrol into their veins :P

Rightio......someone has been injecting petrol into their veins :P

It's te effect of having spent too much time in a diesel!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I'm fairly sure it is. Think I recall reading something about him seeing it, and regretting having sold it.

It sold within 2 days of it being on done deal to very near the asking price. Still see it once in a while and miss it, but it was the right thing to do (sell it).

/M

Never had the pleasure of seeing it in the flesh, but it did look fantastic in the flesh. I'd imagine it was far from standard as well.

There was nothing standard about it. Here is the build-thread.

Some of the pictures are missing for some reason, but you get the idea.

/M

Start
    36667_407741538681_531473_n.jpg
    36667_407741548681_7572916_n.jpg
    35770_407741653681_4888589_n.jpg

Result:
    34794_494767308681_373642_n.jpg
    396700_10150512093113682_1772167238_n.jpg
    397119_10150512093458682_1459221463_n.jpg

Also, it was stock 163 bhp. In it's final guise it was around 230 bhp and 365 ft-lb.

/M

• Advertisement

Thanks Marlow. That just puts even more ideas in my head. Absolutely savage car.

Since it[s the right page for it, could someone post a picture of that red Alfa with 666 on the number plate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

I've had my 525d touring for nearly 5 years and up to recently have been thinking of selling. The thing is that I'd be lucky to get €4k for it and to get a car that I like as much that's has all "the usual" bits done would cost me a fortune, only to be worthless in a few years.

I think I'll hang on to what I have for a couple of years...
    24b290j.jpg

Would have loved to have seen Marlow's one though. Really nice job. Marlow, did you remove your rear air suspension?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Hey Zeus Quintana

Full-14290889.jpeg

Would have loved to have seen Marlow's one though. Really nice job. Marlow, did you remove your rear air suspension?

No. I never got around to do much more research into that. I changed the complete suspension from SE to MSport tough, including suspension airbags.

It might involve changing the rear axle, but I'd really need to find a Touring with rear springs to crawl under and check it out. I even had arranged to do that, but then sold the car after having 2 years.

/M

@Marlow

I know it had a sports exhaust (can't remember which one), did you decat it before remapping it?

One thing I'm trying to figure out with mine. I'll certainly be changing the backbox to get rid of the downpipes, and I know a decat would help in terms of a remap, but I couldn't live with myself if my car went boo :pac:

• Advertisement

@Marlow

I know it had a sports exhaust (can't remember which one), did you decat it before remapping it?

One thing I'm trying to figure out with mine. I'll certainly be changing the backbox to get rid of the downpipes, and I know a decat would help in terms of a remap, but I couldn't live with myself if my car went boo :pac:

The exhaust system I stuck on mine was out of a UK car. It was a complete cat-back (so 2 cats instead of 4) from eco-tune with a stainless steel backbox from Tony Banks, that was designed for that exhaust system.

The remap was done before the exhaust system was changed, but had to be retweaked afterwards again as the back pressure in the OEM system is different from the cat-back system and that actually changes the fuel economy badly.

My recommendation is, that if you haven't remapped yet and you want to do a de-cat or cat-back, then wait until you have all the bits in place and get somebody to do the remap, that has a dyno or does rolling remaps. Don't use somebody that just pushes an update in, that he's bought elsewhere.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭the merchant

Marlow wrote: »
    No. I never got around to do much more research into that. I changed the complete suspension from SE to MSport tough, including suspension airbags.

It might involve changing the rear axle, but I'd really need to find a Touring with rear springs to crawl under and check it out. I even had arranged to do that, but then sold the car after having 2 years.

/M

I take it you weren't overly impressed by the msport rear suspension so, as you were already considering changing it? I think I remember seeing all round coilover sets available on US sites but thery were huge money.

It's one thing about owning a touring, any parts specific to that style are savage expensive or rare as rockin horse sh1te i.e. shadowline trim!

I take it you weren't overly impressed by the msport rear suspension so, as you were already considering changing it? I think I remember seeing all round coilover sets available on US sites but thery were huge money.

It's one thing about owning a touring, any parts specific to that style are savage expensive or rare as rockin horse sh1te i.e. shadowline trim!

No. The sports suspension is superb and is more than adequate for normal road use. If you however take the car to a track or do regular hard driving, the airbags just won't last. Even the MSport ones.

KW does a complete coil-over set using Koni shocks. Steve Wright, who did the E39 M5 Touring build in the UK, used those in his Touring, still using the MSport airbags in the back and was quite happy with that.

If I had kept the car, I just wanted less things to be able to go wrong with it and the air suspension is one of the weak-points of the Touring. I've done a massive amount of troubleshooting on it and two garages hadn't been able to determine a problem I had until I got under the car myself and found the issue myself.

/M

Just looking at Eco-tunes website, came across this....

http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/product/BMW_320D_E46_Exhaust_System_Centre_Decat

Looks pretty sweet...:D

I'm planning on giving it to Joe Power to remap when the time comes

Just looking at Eco-tunes website, came across this....

http://www.ecotune-scotland.co.uk/product/BMW_320D_E46_Exhaust_System_Centre_Decat

Looks pretty sweet...:D

The Ecotune exhaust system is fantastic for the E39. First of all, the front cats were removed directly behind the manifold. Then the flexi-pipe section was moved up there instead, so it doesn't sit exposed under car anymore and breaks, when you rub it over speed bumps and the likes.

The sound of that exhaust with the 525d 6-pot was more like a 6-pot jag petrol engine. No diesel characteristics left and very distinct.

So win-win on sound, performance AND one weak-point eliminated.

Joe is who does all my remapping and I can't recommend him enough.

/M

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement