Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Does anyone have spare handlebar fillers? I don't know the name of them - they plug in the end of the drops so there isn't a gaping hole ready to gouge out internal organs in a crash. I keep losing them somehow. Was thinking of sticking a cork in there as a stopgap* measure.

*thank you, thank you. I'm here all week!

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

buffalo wrote: »
    Does anyone have spare handlebar fillers? I don't know the name of them - they plug in the end of the drops so there isn't a gaping hole ready to gouge out internal organs in a crash. I keep losing them somehow. Was thinking of sticking a cork in there as a stopgap* measure.

Bar end plugs.

Mine are forever falling out too, though thankfully always in places where I can retrieve them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Lost a couple of sets of these myself over the year, I had it down to my bad taping technique. Plenty of options on spares on bike24 though I reckon Brooks are just flogging on old sherry bottle stoppers;

32830_00_c.jpg

Maybe have a few bottles of bubbly over the week and you're sorted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

You can get ones that screw in. They won't go anywhere.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    You can get ones that screw in. They won't go anywhere.
    But do they weigh more? :D

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    But do they weigh more? :D

Won't make a difference on my bike! :D

Cheers for the name and suggestions, will have to order a pair with my next purchase. So that's winter lights, a new cassette (which presumably means a new chain) and bar end plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dónal wrote: »
    Probable storm due tomorrow into Tuesday too.
    ..and the rest of the week.

Looking at the gloom out there now, I think I might break out the winter lights this evening, at least a month earlier than planned. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

smacl wrote: »
    Lost a couple of sets of these myself over the year, I had it down to my bad taping technique

I got a set of those with my Brooks leather bar tape. They were crap, as was the tape.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've a heap of them at home. I can bring a pair along next time I see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dexif

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Not cool.

because...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

buffalo wrote:
    Does anyone have spare handlebar fillers? I don't know the name of them - they plug in the end of the drops so there isn't a gaping hole ready to gouge out internal organs in a crash.

You may have answered a question that seemed to elude medical science for a long time - what exactly is the appendix for? Though you may need a second "un-needed" organ for the bar end on the other side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Dexif wrote: »
    Hungrycol wrote: »
    Not cool.

because...?

...he is cool and knows what is not. Ipso facto.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,126 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

doozerie wrote: »
    You may have answered a question that seemed to elude medical science for a long time - what exactly is the appendix for? Though you may need a second "un-needed" organ for the bar end on the other side.
    I'm not a scientist, but I believe the appendix is used to store all the useful information about yourself in one place for quick reference. Need to know your shoe size, eye colour, and favourite pizza topping? Don't waste time looking at your feet, head, or stomach - just have a dig through your appendix. It'll save time, and get you bonus points on your next medical.

I've a heap of them at home. I can bring a pair along next time I see you.

Sweet! I'll PM you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I have set as well.BBB ones I think!
    I used the screw ones as mentioned by Lusk Doyle but I managed the unmanagable and lost one.KCNC ones too. I really liked them.
    Now I feel sad.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/Drug-Test.html

For doozerie - Mitt Romney's campaign strategist describes his doping before doing PBP.

edit: warning, it's a long article spread across many pages. http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/Drug-Test.html?page=all for the whole thing in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Hardy Bucks commentary on yesterdays match

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

awec wrote: »
    Bar end plugs.

Mine are forever falling out too, though thankfully always in places where I can retrieve them.
    I wrapped a layer or two of tape around the ends of the bar plugs. That stopped them falling out. They'd been falling out a fair bit before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

What is it with wet days? More than the usual number of people seem to see rain and automatically set their driving mode to "Twunt". No, wait, it's a bit windy too - *twisty* *twisty* to "Absolute Twunt", there, that's better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Had a coffee in the Rapha coffe shop in London.

Man this place is so full of it that I feel remarkably at home.
    Nice espresso also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

222032.jpg

CPL 593H

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please furiousox, you shouldn't be encouraging people to leave their car doors open like that...

got-our-helmets-on.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I had a dream last night that my Canyon got nicked outside Seapoint Rugby Club! I only went in to look for my sungalsses and came out and it was gone. All was fine as I put a GPS yokie in the seat tube. Gardai found it in Watsons and I got the bike back.

The feelings of it being nicked are still with me!

On my cycle in this morning I was behind a guy on a bike in a gleaming hi-viz jacket. The glare of it would have taken my eye out if I wasn't careful. At two different points, a car on a side road pulled right out in front of him, requiring him to haul on his brakes. I was baffled. Do these drivers not listen to the RSA & friends, their lack of respect for the sanctity of hi-viz suggests not.

Further on, a guy in a dark grey coat with its dark grey hood up over his head, and dark trousers, merrily cycled through several red lights. At one crossroads he weaved between cars crossing right to left and none of them hit him. Apparently those drivers don't listen to the RSA & friends either, based on their apparent lack of respect for the supposed death wish of those that don't wear hi-viz.

I myself was wearing black waterproof trousers this morning, and a black rain jacket. My blinding (1watt) rear light was on, but I listen to the RSA and the AA, I knew that certain death was imminent due to my invisibility. So as I moved over onto the cycle track just after O'Connell Bridge it came as a bit of a suprise to have a taxi driver behind me blow his horn. I was invisible, how could he possibly have seen me? I turned around, and there he was, with a facial expression that would sour cream from 500m away, gesturing at me to shove over as he kept his car close to me as he passed. Astonishing, it really did seem that he had seen me.

I needed to investigate further so I pulled alongside him as he joined a stopped line of traffic 50m ahead, and I engaged him in conversation. Turns out he had seen me, apparently I was "IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUKHIN' LAY-EN" and I should "FUHK AWWF". Could he hear me too, I wonder? I responded in kind, reckoning that keeping it simple and communicating in his language would work best. I aimed for volume setting 9 but in my enthusiasm I may have peaked at 11. The pure aggression drained a little from his face and was replaced by doubt, he pulled his head back from his open window, the window started to rise. You *can* hear me, I thought, I actually exist in your world, how wondrous. Here, having made this breakthrough, let's communicate further. But I quickly got bored, and he had adopted the petulant child expression that suggests that further conversation is going to go nowhere. As I cycled off he bleated something or other at me that I'll assume was an apology. I didn't go back for a mutual hug though, Mr Cranky Pants would have to do without today.

So, note to RSA, AA, An Garda, etc.: you can be invisible in hi-viz, you can be visible in non- hi-viz, and even if someone sees you they can still act the bollix towards you.

Oh, and note to my temper: tut, you made me look like a raving lunatic to all and sundry again, that's not cool. ...on the other hand, yer man's expression was priceless, so go you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

doozerie wrote: »
    On my cycle in this morning I was behind a guy on a bike in a gleaming hi-viz jacket. The glare of it would have taken my eye out if I wasn't careful. At two different points, a car on a side road pulled right out in front of him, requiring him to haul on his brakes. I was baffled. Do these drivers not listen to the RSA & friends, their lack of respect for the sanctity of hi-viz suggests not.

Further on, a guy in a dark grey coat with its dark grey hood up over his head, and dark trousers, merrily cycled through several red lights. At one crossroads he weaved between cars crossing right to left and none of them hit him. Apparently those drivers don't listen to the RSA & friends either, based on their apparent lack of respect for the supposed death wish of those that don't wear hi-viz.

I myself was wearing black waterproof trousers this morning, and a black rain jacket. My blinding (1watt) rear light was on, but I listen to the RSA and the AA, I knew that certain death was imminent due to my invisibility. So as I moved over onto the cycle track just after O'Connell Bridge it came as a bit of a suprise to have a taxi driver behind me blow his horn. I was invisible, how could he possibly have seen me? I turned around, and there he was, with a facial expression that would sour cream from 500m away, gesturing at me to shove over as he kept his car close to me as he passed. Astonishing, it really did seem that he had seen me.

I needed to investigate further so I pulled alongside him as he joined a stopped line of traffic 50m ahead, and I engaged him in conversation. Turns out he had seen me, apparently I was "IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUKHIN' LAY-EN" and I should "FUHK AWWF". Could he hear me too, I wonder? I responded in kind, reckoning that keeping it simple and communicating in his language would work best. I aimed for volume setting 9 but in my enthusiasm I may have peaked at 11. The pure aggression drained a little from his face and was replaced by doubt, he pulled his head back from his open window, the window started to rise. You *can* hear me, I thought, I actually exist in your world, how wondrous. Here, having made this breakthrough, let's communicate further. But I quickly got bored, and he had adopted the petulant child expression that suggests that further conversation is going to go nowhere. As I cycled off he bleated something or other at me that I'll assume was an apology. I didn't go back for a mutual hug though, Mr Cranky Pants would have to do without today.

So, note to RSA, AA, An Garda, etc.: you can be invisible in hi-viz, you can be visible in non- hi-viz, and even if someone sees you they can still act the bollix towards you.

Oh, and note to my temper: tut, you made me look like a raving lunatic to all and sundry again, that's not cool. ...on the other hand, yer man's expression was priceless, so go you!

by engaging someone like that your just as bad as them, best way to deal with these things is to be polite and not shout, otherwise arnt you part of the problem.

Your commute doesnt sound very relaxing, dont worry about others just yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

manafana wrote: »
    by engaging someone like that your just as bad as them, best way to deal with these things is to be polite and not shout, otherwise arnt you part of the problem.

Thanks Ghandi. Lets just lie down IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FUKHIN' LAY-EN and invite them to drive their horses taxis over us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I posted in the wimp list thread with a question but figure it's more appropriate here.

Is there anyway that I can make my brakes a bit more effective in the rain. The rim is slipping an awful lot when the brakes are applied. I'm just using my old mountain bike to commute until I get my hybrid delivered to me next week and I had it serviced last week and new brakepads fitted so I don't want to spend too much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement