Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

awec wrote: »
    Cycling from UCD to Wexford tomorrow. 140km, furthest I've gone.

Less worried about the distance and more worried about the cold! :D

Looks like it will be dry and bright. You'll be warm on the bike so just don't stop.

Enjoy.

• Administrators Posts: 53,374 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

daragh_ wrote: »
    awec wrote: »
    Cycling from UCD to Wexford tomorrow. 140km, furthest I've gone.

Less worried about the distance and more worried about the cold! :D

Looks like it will be dry and bright. You'll be warm on the bike so just don't stop.

Enjoy.
    Got a merino base layer today and will wear the tights so should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just spotted this elsewhere on the internet

221651.jpg

As it's a boardsie, I thought it best to blank out the face ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

tomasrojo wrote: »
    There's a woman round my area who has a sort-of hi-viz jacket that looks like a Mondriaan painting. I quite liked it. Better than the binman look anyway.

Might be from here:

http://www.georgiaindublin.com/

or it might be the rare vintage La Vie Claire hi-viz commuter jacket as not worn by LeMond and Hinault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yes, I think that's it. Quite a nice design, I think. Caught my eye anyway, though perhaps that was the art appreciation module in my brain switching on.

On a similar note, the Guardian had an article about "stylish accessories" for cyclists yesterday.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gallery/2012/sep/21/cycling-apparel-in-pictures?newsfeed=true

I don't know what to make of it, as I am no fashion maven, except that there is a heavier emphasis on safety than you often get in these articles.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Some numbers of the day:
    1-2

Alas, no more stars ...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

The group were en chasse patate to use a French phrase that translates as “potato hunting” and means they were stuck in between the break and the bunch.

I love the random idioms of professional cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Beasty wrote: »

221651.jpg

Now what kinda boll.x would put a pic like that into cyberspace where it will remain to humilitate the wearer forever more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Is it possible for a facebook post to go viral - I wonder ....hmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

221651.jpg

Hmmm... Wasn't a lovely top like that sold on the adverts sub-forum recently?
    I suspect you may be a tad jealous. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

221651.jpg

I didn't know he was a jockey.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just found this in the files - this was in a newspaper i found under the carpets in the house i bought in 2003.
    i think it was dated sometime in 1967.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

murphygoal.gif

Up Donegal -god i'll be lucky to get into work over the glass tomorrow morning (or the day after for that matter) :D

Up Donegal -god i'll be lucky to get into work over the glass tomorrow morning (or the day after for that matter) :D

My two closest friends from Donegal both booked this week off work. A week! Going to be a helluva hangover next Monday. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

buffalo wrote: »
    My two closest friends from Donegal both booked this week off work. A week! Going to be a helluva hangover next Monday. :pac:

i think i'm the only person in tomorrow (seeing as i'm a blow in ) the rest were at the game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

Any quick way to download all your rides as gpx from strava, or will I have to do it manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

9 degrees and rain tomorrow. To hell with that, the winter jersey and full finger gloves are coming out for the commute.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    Any quick way to download all your rides as gpx from strava, or will I have to do it manually?

Strava don't offer it, I presume you used an android/iphone app, otherwise you just get straight off the device you used.

One at a time: http://cosmocatalano.com/strava/export/

No quick way as far as I can find, sorry, I suspect it will be available in the future though as it seems an obvious marketing tool, ie compete against your friend by downloading their routes etc.

seamus wrote: »
    9 degrees and rain tomorrow. To hell with that, the winter jersey and full finger gloves are coming out for the commute.

Probable storm due tomorrow into Tuesday too.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,374 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

seamus wrote: »
    Was out yesterday and it confirmed numerous things to me:

1. I need long finger gloves, I couldn't feel my fingers for the first few hours.
    2. I need overshoes. Same reason as above, except for my toes.
    3. I am buying a balaclava. Ear and face warmness, yes please.
    4. Some form of winter style cycle jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭t'bear

that was a very long spin to find these things out on :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Pedalare Pedalare!

Great hype video for the Giro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Is it bad that I'm using the strava 'segment explore' feature to identify Cat 1 and HC climbs to help me pick a relaxing sun holiday destination?

btw, did CRC ever issue a public statement regarding their alleged credit card hacking debacle?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Interesting piece in Slate on the perception of cyclists:
    The affect heuristic explains how our minds take a difficult question (one that would require rigorous logic to answer) and substitutes it for an easier one. When our emotions get involved, we jump to pre-existing conclusions instead of exerting the mental effort to think of a bespoke answer. The affect heuristic helps explain why birthers still exist even though Obama released his birth certificate—it’s a powerful, negative emotional issue about which lots of people have already made up their minds. When it comes to cyclists, once some clown on two wheels almost kills himself with your car, you furiously decide that bicyclists are assholes, and that conclusion will be hard to shake regardless of countervailing facts, stats, or arguments.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    btw, did CRC ever issue a public statement regarding their alleged credit card hacking debacle?

There was an e-mail awhile back offering 30pound compensation in the form of a voucher.

This was only sent to some customers though, not sure if you had to have made a complaint to get the 30pound or if it was identified who were the victims and they were specifically targeted.

I received nothing but had to get cards replaced, as well as log a fraud complaint into VISA.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Dexif

Was coming to the end of the outward leg of my spin yesterday morning so slowed down to pull a u-turn on the road. Went past an easily amused idiot who decided to try to give me a fright by pretending to jump out in front of me. Anyway, traffic got heavy so decided to go on to the roundabout a km up the road to make my turn. On the way back he was still walking along the footpath so I cycled up behind him in stealth mode and let a roar at him. I have never seen anyone nearly fall over with a fright before! Cycled away to him shouting ‘you fu**ing bas**rd’. It’s the little things in life that make it worthwhile!

CramCycle wrote: »
    There was an e-mail awhile back offering 30pound compensation in the form of a voucher.

This was only sent to some customers though, not sure if you had to have made a complaint to get the 30pound or if it was identified who were the victims and they were specifically targeted.

I received nothing but had to get cards replaced, as well as log a fraud complaint into VISA.

Yeah, I got the voucher alright, but I was waiting for a public statement before shopping there again. My own little boycott. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Dexif wrote: »
    Was coming to the end of the outward leg of my spin yesterday morning so slowed down to pull a u-turn on the road. Went past an easily amused idiot who decided to try to give me a fright by pretending to jump out in front of me. Anyway, traffic got heavy so decided to go on to the roundabout a km up the road to make my turn. On the way back he was still walking along the footpath so I cycled up behind him in stealth mode and let a roar at him. I have never seen anyone nearly fall over with a fright before! Cycled away to him shouting ‘you fu**ing bas**rd’. It’s the little things in life that make it worthwhile!

Not cool.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement