Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official Free Money Betting Superthread 2011/12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

have to disagree catfromhue. The Stormers and Reds were muck v the sharks, and while i know the Sharks played well, the Chiefs will be a diffent ball game entirely. Been on a bit of a rollercoaster following the lads on dropkickrugby, but as i said last week I was up nicely after following them for the first semi, and have again followed the advice and lumped on the Chiefs -4 early in the week. Also taken small bits of the chiefs on the handicaps all the way up to -25 at 10/1 :D

Chiefs win and Chiefs winning margin 1-12 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Same bet as last week for me , Sharks +3.5 half time handicap. Not convinced the Chiefs are exactly what it says on the tin but fatigue has to be an issue in the second half.

Don't mind who wins this one as both teams play cracking rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

have to disagree catfromhue. The Stormers and Reds were muck v the sharks, and while i know the Sharks played well, the Chiefs will be a diffent ball game entirely. Been on a bit of a rollercoaster following the lads on dropkickrugby, but as i said last week I was up nicely after following them for the first semi, and have again followed the advice and lumped on the Chiefs -4 early in the week. Also taken small bits of the chiefs on the handicaps all the way up to -25 at 10/1 :D

I didn't see the Reds match but maybe the Sharks pack outclassed the Reds' pack??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

if the chiefs stop this knock on messing, I can clear the-25 for 10/1.

COME ON! one more gentlemen...20 to go

• Advertisement

jesus, cruden takes the points to make it 24. Chiefs will threaten to the death, hopefully they ca put one of these chances away!

jesus, cruden takes the points to make it 24. Chiefs will threaten to the death, hopefully they ca put one of these chances away!

Nicely played, what handicaps did you take?

Ding ding ding! What a morning! Took the first three caps after reading dropkickrugby, and tacked on the -22 and -25 at 10/1 on a whim, and they made sense when they said that the sharks chasing could be a disaster. Great saturday's work lying in the pit. Stop fighting over that pack of rashers Kids! We're eatin tonight! :D:D:D:D

pithater1 wrote: »
    Nicely played, what handicaps did you take?

see top of the page mate- took six up to -25 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Great result, I love a really close game but Sonny Bill needn't have left it so late. :D

SHARKS.PNG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

so much for that anyway :o

Ding ding ding! What a morning! Took the first three caps after reading dropkickrugby, and tacked on the -22 and -25 at 10/1 on a whim, and they made sense when they said that the sharks chasing could be a disaster. Great saturday's work lying in the pit. Stop fighting over that pack of rashers Kids! We're eatin tonight! :D:D:D:D

Keer ching. Well done to you.

Well done, great win there! When NH season starts I'll have a look at that site to see :D

Cheers lads. Hopefully they'll start up a forum or something, just for rugby punters,so we can really dissect these games and win some serious cash.

In fact, im going to email them that idea right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Cheers lads. Hopefully they'll start up a forum or something, just for rugby punters,so we can really dissect these games and win some serious cash.

You cannot be serious?!

Seriously it's fairly obvious you're shilling your own site, or am I missing something here?!

There s a few decent betting forums out there already. I like that dk site but would prefer if they were more specific on the number of units they were putting on each bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

When people talk about units, what exactly does that mean? What's the scale?

A unit is the amount you bet with and can be any amount of money. It can be €10 or €300 etc. They talk in units so people have a clearer idea of how the person is doing with his bets.

Pretty much, it adds weight to a bet. Generally your betting bank consists of 10 units, a unit can have any value. At most you should bet 3 units on a single bet. If I see a tip followed by 3 units I know that that punter had a very strong feeling on that bet, 2 units less so and so on. It also allows for an accurate record of how a tipster is doing. That dropkick site is giving 4/5 tips a week, half of which lose. Their 'main bets' seem to be doing well but it would be nice to know how well they're doing overall.

You cannot be serious?!

Seriously it's fairly obvious you're shilling your own site, or am I missing something here?!

not my site dude, just happy i discovered some decent rugby betting commentary aside from the useless lot on planet rugby. Ive madea nice few quid following them since I found them about the summer internationals on google.

And forumwise, theres no really good soleyl rugby focused betting forum. Thats what im looking for. i used to have a few pals in australia and we used to hit the pub around 6 on a friday, and talk through each of our best bets for the weekend. We cleaned up.,

I dont mind the lack of units on there to be honest, i think its down to people to how much they want to bet- and thats a good thing- in my opinion people should seek info for sure, but make their own decision on their levels - the persuasiveness of the language is enough for me.

(ps i realise a unit could be a euro or a hundred...but I ust dont need THAT much help when im gong to work out a bet).

• Advertisement

Pretty much, it adds weight to a bet. Generally your betting bank consists of 10 units, a unit can have any value. At most you should bet 3 units on a single bet. If I see a tip followed by 3 units I know that that punter had a very strong feeling on that bet, 2 units less so and so on. It also allows for an accurate record of how a tipster is doing. That dropkick site is giving 4/5 tips a week, half of which lose. Their 'main bets' seem to be doing well but it would be nice to know how well they're doing overall.

thats a good point Phat. But ive always jsut inferred that the longshots are gonna be small money for interest - common sense for me.

thats a good point Phat. But ive always jsut inferred that the longshots are gonna be small money for interest - common sense for me.
    13/8 on the 1-12 is hardly a longshot. 3/4 of their picks lost. Its a grand site but they're not making the most of their knowledge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just looking at last weeks play offs and they had

Super Rugby Playoffs Pick 1; Chiefs +4 in Paddypower and Ladbrokes at 10/11. This is our main bet in this game

Super Rugby Playoffs Pick 2;
    Chiefs 1-12 is 12/5 in Boylesports- it should be tight overall, and if the Chiefs win, they shouldn’t win by much more than six or seven.

Super rugby Playoffs Pick 3;
    With Carter and Cruden well able to drop a goal, if you need an extra interest in this game you can get ‘anytime drop goal’ at evens with paddypower.

Super Rugby Playoffs Pick 4;.........Sharks/Stormers for a small interest............. Best price 6/1 in paddypower and stanjames.

Super Rugby Playoff Pick 5;
    Stormers win by 1-12 points.

**We’re also backing the home teams 1-12 double this weekend

So 2/6 that weekend.

And forumwise, theres no really good soleyl rugby focused betting forum. Thats what im looking for. i used to have a few pals in australia and we used to hit the pub around 6 on a friday, and talk through each of our best bets for the weekend. We cleaned up.,

Us posters here could be cleaning up too if we really put a bit more effort into the bets. There'll be hundreds of different types of bets each week and theres always value bets available. I'll be posting more here in a few weeks and I'd welcome other peoples opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I wouldn't be bothered with taking any tipsters too seriously (and it shows :D) and I reckon the only way to have a worthwhile punt is the traditional way i.e. watch as many games as possible, read what people are saying here/Planet Rugby/Scrum.com/various discussion forums etc. take into account such factors as Home Advantage/Hunger/Past Performance/Travel Fatigue etc.etc. Jeez, few would have predicted the scale of today's victory or even the certainty of the Chiefs winning so what's the point of trying too hard? My nice little earner at 11/4 on Sonny Bill to score a try was based on his good form and a gut feeling that he'd want to leave the Chief's with something special - I didn't see anybody tipping it though. The many Irish radio rugby pundits have an horrendous record of calling it correctly in recent years. So I reckon you just add Dropkick Rugby to the mix, they are no better or worse than all the others.

How much do you guys bet?

For handicap betting on games I'd only bet a fiver or 7.50/10 if I'm sure a team will beat the handicap.

I wouldn't be bothered with taking any tipsters too seriously (and it shows :D) and I reckon the only way to have a worthwhile punt is the traditional way i.e. watch as many games as possible, read what people are saying here/Planet Rugby/Scrum.com/various discussion forums etc. take into account such factors as Home Advantage/Hunger/Past Performance/Travel Fatigue etc.etc. Jeez, few would have predicted the scale of today's victory or even the certainty of the Chiefs winning so what's the point of trying too hard? My nice little earner at 11/4 on Sonny Bill to score a try was based on his good form and a gut feeling that he'd want to leave the Chief's with something special - I didn't see anybody tipping it though. The many Irish radio rugby pundits have an horrendous record of calling it correctly in recent years. So I reckon you just add Dropkick Rugby to the mix, they are no better or worse than all the others.
    that would definitely be the way I approach things. I read a load of previews, and make my mind up. I never back all the ones on dropkick, and I kind of like that there's a bit of choice and maybes, as opposed to other previews where they only give you one pick. I dont think they're suggesting readers back every one of their picks- they're kind of more of a "thinking outloud on different scenarios" kind of site than saying 'back this, its the best bet' kind of site. (if you get me)

It's Something different I suppose.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    How much do you guys bet?

For handicap betting on games I'd only bet a fiver or 7.50/10 if I'm sure a team will beat the handicap.
    too much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

profitus is right, it is the weight of the bet- puts it in perspective.

As people saying "I'v €10 on X"- that could either be a big bet if person usually bets €1 or €2 (like myself) or a small bet if person usually bets €50's or €100 etc.

It is also used for keeping logs of your bets

I'm going to do that when the Rabo and Pro D2 (France) starts up- made a tidy sum little last year with them two leagues:)

I haven't really been in this forum for the summer as I don't really follow the Super15- but some of ye seem to be doing pretty well so keep it up:)

• Advertisement

Currie Cup starts today. Any thoughts?

Also T14 is back next weekend (thank the Lord!!)

Advertisement