Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    Hi all I joined last week and have been doing my best to follow the plan, the only problem im having really is im hearing things that id assumed are syn free aren't so if someone could clear up a few loose ends:

Muller light yogurts (fat free) are they all syn free or are some of them syned and if so how many

Sparkling flavored water:(made with artificial sweetners)

the recipe for syn free crisps is it actually free?

Mullerlights: The cheesecake ones are not syn free
    1 for lemon cheesecake
    .5 syn for the new york cheesecake.
    1.5 syns for Vanilla Yogurt with Dark Chocolate Sprinkles & Black Cherry Underlayer
    All the greek style ones are .5 syns

Sparkling water is not always free it depends on the brand and how it was sweetened...if you post the brand I will look up the info.

Syn free crisps? Is that the ones with cutting the potatoes really thin and baking them - if so i think they are free yes

All the info can be gotten from slimmingworld.com if you are a member or these is another site I use quite often ( you can pm me for more info)

Any other questions just let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

sw crisps are NOT free... as so much frylite is used on them think around half a syn-1 syn

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

I signed up online last night. It looks good so far. Hopefully it will work out. Can you use McCambridge bread as a hexb? I have a freezer full of the stuff.

DarkBlonde wrote: »
    I signed up online last night. It looks good so far. Hopefully it will work out. Can you use McCambridge bread as a hexb? I have a freezer full of the stuff.

Your HexB is 2 slices of wholemeal 400g loaf which is the hovis nimble or 3 slices of the dunnes be good to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brennan78

Jst decided to sign up to this forum girlies - just joined SW last night, tried WW before and got no place so am a little hesitant about SW but fingers crossed...

• Advertisement

brennan78 wrote: »
    Jst decided to sign up to this forum girlies - just joined SW last night, tried WW before and got no place so am a little hesitant about SW but fingers crossed...

blokes too!

any questions just ask and I'll help if I can...been doing SW since Jan and have dropped 3.5 stone so far

neacy69 wrote: »
    Your HexB is 2 slices of wholemeal 400g loaf which is the hovis nimble or 3 slices of the dunnes be good to yourself.

Thanks for that. Guess the kids will be eating mccambridge for a while so! Well done on the weight loss so far. That's great. I'm hoping to get rid of at least a stone myself. Im feeding my baby at the moment so I get to have 4 additional healthy extras. I'm just looking at the best way to use them. 60g wholemeal pitta bread also looks like a good choice.

Thanks for that. Guess the kids will be eating mccambridge for a while so! Well done on the weight loss so far. That's great. I'm hoping to get rid of at least a stone myself. Im feeding my baby at the moment so I get to have 4 additional healthy extras. I'm just looking at the best way to use them. 60g wholemeal pitta bread also looks like a good choice.

The plan can be hard to get used to at the start. The best I found was to keep a food diary and put everything down on it...even if it was a really bad day...

cheese as a HexAcould be nice to have...there is a nice SW carbonara which uses cheese as a HexA.
    I know there is another with chesse stuffed homemade burgers in a 60g whole roll...1 HexA abnd 1HexB

neacy69 wrote: »

The plan can be hard to get used to at the start. The best I found was to keep a food diary and put everything down on it...even if it was a really bad day...

cheese as a HexAcould be nice to have...there is a nice SW carbonara which uses cheese as a HexA.
    I know there is another with chesse stuffed homemade burgers in a 60g whole roll...1 HexA abnd 1HexB

I need to sit down and read through the details its all a bit much. But it looks good. Yeah I love cheese :-) I need to buy a new scales though before I have any. Don't want to over eat either. I'm glad I found this thread as it'll be support in place of the meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

Dark Blonde
    You don't need to buy a new scales - you need to remember that one third of you plate is free food ( rice/pasta), one third your superfree food (veg/fruit) and one third meat or poultry.
    I would follow the advice re the bread the dunnes bread mentioned is in a white packet with blue writing on it - be good to yourself.
    If you want to have your healthy b as 2 weetabix or one of the cereals or crispbreads you could syn the bread mentioned.
    Don't get any other bread as some breads could be 4 to 7 syns a slice.
    You need to eat 5 to 15 syns a day as it helps you lose the weight.
    Also Dark Blonde I would check out on the website under the co. you live in on a regular basis as slimming world are opening up more classes.
    Free free to put up any questions you have as we are all trying to loose weight here and we can help you out.

• Advertisement

Thanks okis. I am breastfeeding at the moment so according to the online version I have to eat 4 additional healthy extras from either a or b. I was thinking that I needed scales to weigh cheese but I suppose I could eat baby bells as no measuring required. That's crazy how many syns can be in some breads! I think il just stick to the ones mentioned here. Thanks again.

I signed up for 3 months online so hopefully by November there will be classes in limerick. I'm surprised we don't have one yet.

First day is going good so far. I'm not hungry at all and I'm usually starving all the time from feeding the baby. I am making spaghetti bolanaise sp? But have a load of extra veg chopped to go in. I'm using 85 per cent lean mince so I syned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

FonE wrote: »
    I joined Slimming World online as there's no class in my area. It's been over a week and I though they'd have sent me out books, etc but nothing. Wondering if I've wasted €75 now! All I've gotten is an email reminding me to enter my weekly weigh in - and I GAINED 4.5 lbs!! Really surprised as normally (yep, I've been on ALL the diets before) you lose the most the 1st week of the diet.

Wondering if I would be better off doing Slimfast? Though I'd have to be on them for 6 months to lose the amount of weight I have to lose. Or hoodia tablets, anyone tried those?

Done Weightwatchers, Unislim before and really don't want to go to classes, can't take the humiliation of if, I used to often come out in tears when I went there before.

I think you'd be better off going to your gp and ask to be referred to a nutritionist or dietitian. I wouldn't do slimfast, you're better to keep eating actual food!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I was thinking that I needed scales to weigh cheese but I suppose I could eat baby bells as no measuring required.I am making spaghetti bolanaise sp? But have a load of extra veg chopped to go in. I'm using 85 per cent lean mince so I syned it.

Don't forget you can have Laughing Cow Light Triangles or even better the Extra Light ones. Both are tasty!

Spag Bol is such a handy dinner and you can seriously fill it up with any veg. Don't be afraid to throw a load of different ones in plus tip out all the fat that comes off the mince :D

Peppers, onions, mushrooms, broccoli, long green beans, carrots, parsnips, every herb that's in the kitchen, tin of tomatoes I even throw in a tin of mushy peas :pac:
    fussyonion wrote: »
    Hi boxercreations

I totally agree you'll have to sacrifice a certain aspect of your normal life in order to achieve a weightloss, but when you've been a WW member and have a weekly allowance of 49 ProPoints to spend on treats/alcohol, it's very hard to then join SW and find there is no such allowance and yes, it is basically a choice between losing weight and drinking, but on WW, you can drink and lose weight.

WW focuses more on the fact that you don't have to give up anything.
    The SW leader basically admitted that alcohol wasn't going to help you lose weight; one lady said she's had to give up her weekly night out with her husband because she can't have a few pints.

That's ridiculous. We all need to unwind.
    I wrote everything down that I ate, plus I drank wine on Friday and Saturday and I lost 4 and a half pounds in one week on WW.
    So for me, WW must work and maybe I've been in denial that it was the plan that wasn't working-deep down, I don't think I've been 100% on track with it.

I'm going to get back on track now and I'll report back to you.

*when I use the word "you" here I don't mean you, more a general thing :pac:

That woman is being silly! Course you don't have to give up your weekly night out. If you have been sticking to the plan and be good that day, you can use all your syns for that night out. Might have to change your drink to vodka and a diet drink/tonic water or even Bulmers you can get a few pints to make the 15 syns. There are ways to stretch the syns where alcohol is concerned :D If you do happen to go over the syns or intend on doing that then preventative measures are handy.

• extra exercise(walks) that day or in the days leading up to the night out and the next few days after
    • have big pot of food already cooked for when you land home/the next day so you won't binge on bad stuff
    • drink a glass of water in between each pint to stretch the night out!

Most of the older women in my SW group had a better nightlife than me and they made sure they got out for a night at the weekend if not two!

In relation to WW blowing 49 points(not sure how much that actually means) on alcohol for a night out sounds a bit much? That's if folks keep all those points for their weekend.

whelan1 wrote: »
    nearly more men in our group than women, one man has lost over 11 stone...

Wow! He should definitely be appearing in the magazine!! :eek:
    kerash wrote: »
    I think you'd be better off going to your gp and ask to be referred to a nutritionist or dietitian. I wouldn't do slimfast, you're better to keep eating actual food!

Whoever is considering slimfast, please don't! :/

SW is a bit daunting but once you get into it you will be flying in the kitchen throwing meals together. You can ask your consultant to go through a weekly plan for you to stick to and see how you get on. Or take Kerashs advice. Actual food is definitely better than artificial stuff! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

To the person who put up weight in the first week don't go on slimfast. Your better off eating real food to lose weight. A lot of liquid diets will make you lose weight but once you start to have a normal diet you weight will generally go back up. i would try sw for another 2 weeks and you need to remember the following.
    1. Each meals has to be 1/3 meat or poultry, 1/3 superfree foods and 1/3 free food.
    2 Syn your bread if you use your healthy b for cereals ect.
    Only eat the Dunnes bread mentioned.
    3 Eat 5 to 15 syns each day - this will help you lose weight
    4 Do body magic.
    5 Drink plenty of plain water use sugar free dilute drinks if you find water hard to drink.
    6 If you eat pasta or noodles only eat the dried one as per the book, some of the fresh pasta, precooked noodles ect have syns.
    7 If you are unsure about something check out the syns before eating on the slimming world site.
    8 If you are working out syns 20 cal =1 syn - handy if you are out and need to buy some food.
    9 If you need to buy something to eat rather than a sandwich go for a prepacked salad with no dressing and or a packet of cold meat or cooked chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

Dont do slimfast, keep with the SW. Stop thinking its a diet , its a lifestyle change and a healthy one at that!!! Im only there 2 weeks but im losing and im still eating real food. Im not hungry and if i am i reach for a banana or some sort of fruit. Instead of rushing around the place buying lunch on thw way to work and dinner on the way home im back cooking and the small changes-fry light, extra veg, no pre-made sauces, no takeaways seem to be working for me.
    Im still enjoying my nights out at the weekend when i admit i do go over but by having a good day fri, early sat and sun i seem to be maintaining the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭ditzyfairy

yippee lost 2.5lbs in my first week despite a mad BH w/end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

bulmersgal wrote: »
    So doing Sw 6/7 weeks now didn't follow plan 100% but still lost 4 lbs in first month, then a death in family resulted in me eating lot of junk and put on 3 1/2lbs. Now last week I was at a all inclusive holiday resort, so can't only imagine the damage I done. Came back on sat and weigh in 2mo so hopefully it's not to bad. Been good yesterday and today, went running and cycling as well

So after all my worrying I lost 3 lbs this week, got to keep focus but I think I should of gain on holidays. So hoping it doesn't roll over to next week!

How does slimmer of the week work?

ditzyfairy wrote: »
    yippee lost 2.5lbs in my first week despite a mad BH w/end

That's a great loss for first week ESP with bh, it's great being able to live life but still lose weight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

bulmersgal wrote: »
    So after all my worrying I lost 3 lbs this week, got to keep focus but I think I should of gain on holidays. So hoping it doesn't roll over to next week!

How does slimmer of the week work?

It's whoever has lost the most weight that week they get the bowl of fruit (but not the bowl itself some people think they get that free too!:pac:)

for sotw, you have to have lost the previous week as well.... so you know the way in your first week you normally have a big loss, wellyou cant get sotw as you wont have lost anything the week before iykwim.... in our group the members bring inthe fruit for the sotw basket

• Advertisement

down 2lbs:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

I was down 4lbs this week, half a pound away from my 3.5 stone award

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TylersHo

Hi Guys hope you dont mind me joining in the chat. I am back in slimming world I joined a few months ago but my head just was not in it. Im back about five weeks now and I am half a pound away from a 7 pound loss. I love the plan I have to admit I tried WW before but I found that some nights I would go to bed early because I was starving. I made a chilli yesterday which was yum and so easy to make. Fry up some onions add your mince and drain any fat. Then add a can of bbq kidney beans and throw in heaps of veg corn, peppers ect. I cooked SW chips to go with it but its also lovely over a baked potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dair

So into my 3rd week and 1/2 pound from my first half stone, really nervous about the weekend ahead usually i go out and enjoy my one night and hold the loss but sat and sun i have day and night things on, food and drink at all .....best recommendation for alcohol to drink??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 TylersHo

Maybe you could try mixing rosé wine with 7up free??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Ive only drank once on SW but I was drinking double vodkas with mi wadi orange and lost 5lbs that week and kept it off :)

i drink wine with diet 7up in it.... also have water every so often, also put ice cubes in the wine/7up

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Hi all,
    can i join you? I joined slimming world online on Friday and so far so good. It really seems so different to all the other diets I've tried, i can't believe the amount of superfree food open to me. I actually feel I've been eating far better than i have in a long time.
    Do you all usually eat your syns? I've eaten them on Friday and yesterday so it's kind of worrying me for weigh in on Friday. Should i maybe have a few days of just having five or so? Would love to hear all opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭polly27

Hi all i am finally going to bite the bullet and rejoin on tueday, i am absolutely dreading it as im going to be up loads since the last time and i know that i will cry when i come home after being weighed as it always happens but im really ready this time, my aim is two stone for xmas if not a bit more, going to eat right and walk every day and i know it will work, i know i can do it and its great to have this thread as support,

ill check in after my weigh in as no doubt i will need some words of encouragement,

Keep up the good work everyone and thanks for all your support :)

• Advertisement

Been so good for me all this week, went out thurs had chicken curry n boiled rice in browns barn restaurant and a choc pudding for after and a glass of wine. But every other day I've barely gone into my syns.

Whereas on a normal week of slimming I'd eat Eddie rockets, chipper or curry at least twice and lose something so I'm hoping I lose big this week. 2lb away from being 10st 13 so dying to see that. Also 3 1/2 lb away from half stone so either would be nice this week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement