Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

There was alot of cynical fouling by Clare and Galvin got one or two cracks of elbows and fists and he never reacted to them. The referee wasn't interested due to Kerry's massive lead and add that to Galvin's history with Clare something was bound to ignite and Jacko should have taken him off to avoid it. I was in the uncovered stand and there was some cynical play which may not have been so obvious from the main stand. The Clare footballing team are an aggressive bunch and we have seen burst ups before between them and Kerry. They even caused chaos with Cork last year with one of the Clare players getting a straight red. Clare are the most Cynical football team in Munster if you discount the way Eoin Cadogan and Noel O'Leary drag the rest of the predominately clean Cork team into the mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Bookies have Kerry favorites for quarter final. Have to agree with this. Donegal are in transition still and haven't beaten anyone of note. 2 Ulster titles in 2 years aside, the quality of opposition in Ulster has decreased in recent years. Kerry now have a settled team and are playing some of their best football since 2010. Putting my head on the block - Kerry by 6 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

6 point margin against a team as tactically strong and defensively well set up as Donegal is a bit on the wild side I think

Can only see a point or two being in it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/why-we-should-ignore-pundits-like-joe-brolly-202562.html
    Why we should ignore pundits like Joe Brolly
    By Kieran Shannon

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Reading or listening to what passes for most GAA commentary these days, you sometimes wonder why they bother, those brave souls-poor eejits that coach or play inter-county football.

For five straight years Kieran McGeeney has guided Kildare to the All-Ireland series when in the seven seasons before him Kildare hadn’t even made it even once, yet a line of commentators label his team "underachievers" and ask where’s the silverware.

Maybe Kildare are only the fifth or sixth best team in the country, but what’s the shame in that? It seems to be lost on a lot of GAA pundits and writers sceptical of Kildare that they themselves aren’t among the top five nationally in their own profession either.

We call it "Ah but" syndrome. Any achievement a team pulls off can be dismissed by an "Ah but" or a "But sure". Usually it’s in relation to their calibre or list of defeated opponents. "But sure they’ve beaten nobody." Go through this year’s All-Ireland quarter-finalists and it could be levelled at nearly all of them, except Cork, but sure that was only in the Munster championship.

There’s one thing being a critic and another being a cynic. And The Sunday Game resident panellists are the worst offenders of belittling people without whom they wouldn’t have anyone to get paid to commentate about.

Whereas their hurling counterparts Liam Sheedy and Cyril Farrell can observe and enjoy a match between two non-contenders like Wexford and Offaly on its own merits, the triumvirate of Brolly, Spillane and O’Rourke spent the early summer belittling or berating the honest efforts of Division Three teams like Wexford, Longford and Tipperary.

O’Rourke, Brolly and Spillane each in their own right still have a lot to offer GAA punditry but you can’t keep having two or more of them on at once without either a younger, more informed panellist (Dara Ó Cinnéide and Anthony Tohill are sorely missed) or a stronger, more informed anchor.

Last Sunday night was a nadir. While Michael Lyster projected his scepticism of Joe Brolly’s skewed and selective argument on the merits of Kerry, we’d prefer if it had been in the way of facts rather than rolling his eyes.

Brolly’s attack on Kerry and Colm Cooper was the ultimate in "Ah but" punditry. He’s gone close before. All last summer he dismissed every Dublin team of the last 25 years as "chokers". His reservations of Cork are well documented. But the way he downplayed the six All-Irelands Kerry have won over the last 15 years was pathetic.

According to Joe, "on all occasions — this is just a simple fact of life — whenever a team stands and stares them in the face for 70 minutes, Kerry have looked down… I have yet to see this Kerry team win in the face of adversity."

Yes, you have, Joe, if you care to remember. Twice against Armagh in 2000 and again when the counties met in the 2006 All-Ireland quarter-final — call it that year’s final if you want, since you’re so dismissive of Mayo. How can you forget all three days when your beloved Crossmaglen were well represented?

You can’t just judiciously pick last year’s All-Ireland final against Dublin and then forget about Kerry’s victory over the same county in a 2007 All Ireland semi-final that was almost as epic as Derry’s 1993 semi-final win over the Dubs, the game which forged much of your own reputation as a player.

They "faced adversity" against Galway in 2000 and 2008 and triumphed. And when they met proper Cork teams in 2008 and 2009 and in Munster in 2010 and 2011, Kerry, thanks in no small part to Cooper, carved out a way.

Joe can’t keep dismissing Kerry’s 2004 triumph either on the basis that they only beat Mayo; didn’t that the same Mayo beat the mighty Tyrone?

Everyone has "choked’’, Joe. Tyrone in 2004 and 2007 when Mayo and Meath put it up to them. Peter "The Great" got himself suspended in 1997 and sent off in 2001. Mikey Sheehy couldn’t kick a free in Killarney in 1987 a week after conjuring up that last-minute goal down by the Lee.

Maybe it was Joe, in trying to break into TV, who behind the scenes put together that famous "Pele was crap" sequence for Baddiel and Skinner on Fantasy Football.

Maybe Kerry might lose to Donegal next weekend. If they do, it’ll be just like when Tyrone met a hungrier, younger team in Cork in 2009, not because they lacked any bottle.

Everyone loses now and again, even Kerry.

Champions make their setbacks temporary and their victories permanent. Critics prefer to make their victories temporary and their setbacks permanent.

The trick for champions is to ignore the latter.

Maybe we all should until the likes of Joe wise up.

Saw this posted on the Kerry Gaa Forum, and thought I'd share it here. Great piece of writing, and a far better rebuttal then Pat could manage on Sunday. I was trying to make a similar point on a different thread, but obviously could put it as eloquantly as Shanahan did.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Excellent article, says it all really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

duchalla wrote: »
    Excellent article, says it all really.

I don't think any player should be criticised that makes inter county standard of football and especially great players like Colm Cooper. By right Cooper should be criticising Brolly in his underachievements with his so called mighty Derry team of 1993.

Stinicker wrote: »
    There was alot of cynical fouling by Clare and Galvin got one or two cracks of elbows and fists and he never reacted to them. The referee wasn't interested due to Kerry's massive lead and add that to Galvin's history with Clare something was bound to ignite and Jacko should have taken him off to avoid it. I was in the uncovered stand and there was some cynical play which may not have been so obvious from the main stand. The Clare footballing team are an aggressive bunch and we have seen burst ups before between them and Kerry. They even caused chaos with Cork last year with one of the Clare players getting a straight red. Clare are the most Cynical football team in Munster if you discount the way Eoin Cadogan and Noel O'Leary drag the rest of the predominately clean Cork team into the mud.

You are right about Cadogan and he needs to cop on a bit. In fairness Noel O Leary gives 100% on the field and only gives it when he gets it and that has been many time against Galvin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 los cules

i really fancy kerry to win with a bit to spare , donegal are been very hyped up , kerry have better footballers and will win by 4 - 6 points..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

teednab-el wrote: »
    You are right about Cadogan and he needs to cop on a bit. In fairness Noel O Leary gives 100% on the field and only gives it when he gets it and that has been many time against Galvin.
    Personally I don't mind O'Leary - himself and Galvin seem like two fellas who give it all but have a tendency to see red and go a bit wild.

Cadogan is a straight up WUM though from what I've seen of him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Sorry on the phone so cant post a link but there is an article in today's examiner backing uo the opinion that both Gooch and Kerry are chokers, thought you guys might find it interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Had a look there but didn't see anything on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

This 'Kerry are chokers' thing was annoying me, so I searched the old memory banks and came up with a list of games since 2004 where, in my opinion, Kerry were in 'tight' championship matches, excluding draws.

I put this in the "Sunday Game Pundits" thread, but figured it might be useful here too. I'm open to correction if there are any mistakes.

2004 - Limerick - Win

2005 - Cork (Munster Final) - Win
    Tyrone - Loss

2006 - Armagh (an 8 point win, but tight until the 65th minute)

2007 - Cork (Munster Final) Win
    Monaghan - Win
    Dublin - Win

2008 - Cork (Munster final) - Loss
    Monaghan - Win
    Galway - Win
    Cork (AI Semi Final) - Win
    Tyrone - Loss

2009 - Longford - Win
    Sligo - Win
    Antrim - Win
    Cork (AI Final) - Win

2010 - Cork (Munster semi final) - Win
    Limerick - Win

2011 - Cork (Munster final) - Win
    Dublin - Loss

2012 - Cork (Munster Semi final) - Loss
    Westmeath - Win

That makes 17 wins and 5 losses, and closes the book on the 'choker' argument as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully we can add Donegal to the list of games won on Sunday evening :)

Or that we can't because we hockied them! Unlikely but would make the Monday papers some treat to read for a change.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

elguapo wrote: »

That makes 17 wins and 5 losses, and closes the book on the 'choker' argument as far as I'm concerned.

What about 2010? think you need to write another result Down.

Stoner wrote: »
    What about 2010? think you need to write another result Down.

Sure we were well beaten in that game, seems at this stage we are just tallying up every game Kerry have ever lost and comparing it to a cherry picked subset of the games we've won.

Superb analysis this stuff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sure we were well beaten in that game, seems at this stage we are just tallying up every game Kerry have ever lost and comparing it to a cherry picked subset of the games we've won.

Superb analysis this stuff.

it was a foolish way of delivering a point though, regardless if it was valid or not, it does not reflect well on Brolly at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Stoner wrote: »
    it was a foolish way of delivering a point though, regardless if it was valid or not, it does not reflect well on Brolly at all.

Everytime Joe's lips move it does not reflect well on Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

elguapo wrote: »
    This 'Kerry are chokers' thing was annoying me, so I searched the old memory banks and came up with a list of games since 2004 where, in my opinion, Kerry were in 'tight' championship matches, excluding draws.

I put this in the "Sunday Game Pundits" thread, but figured it might be useful here too. I'm open to correction if there are any mistakes.

2004 - Limerick - Win

2005 - Cork (Munster Final) - Win
    Tyrone - Loss

2007 - Cork (Munster Final) Win
    Monaghan - Win
    Dublin - Win

2008 - Cork (Munster final) - Loss
    Monaghan - Win
    Galway - Win
    Tyrone - Loss

2009 - Longford - Win
    Sligo - Win
    Antrim - Win
    Cork (AI Final) - Win

2010 - Cork (Munster semi final) - Win
    Limerick - Win

2011 - Cork (Munster final) - Win
    Dublin - Loss

2012 - Cork (Munster Semi final) - Loss
    Westmeath - Win

Well over by the 65th minute, it was over once Bellew was on a yellow

2008 - Monaghan - Win
    Kerry were never in doubt, not like 2007.

Kerry were cruising but gave away a few soft goals at the very very end.
    Cork never really 'put it up to them'.
    Plus Killain Young missed a score-able chance after Cork had levelled it from the Cusack stand side kicking into the canal goal.

2009 Antrim - Win
    Another that was not really in doubt
    The Sligo game that year was the only one were Kerry were really at risk of loosing

2010 - Limerick - Win
    A late surge by Limerick put a gloss on the score line, no way was the game on the line like it was back on 2004.

But the point still stands that Kerry have failed to win an All Ireland final when it has been put up to them late in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

Well over by the 65th minute, it was over once Bellew was on a yellow. I was at that game, it was very much in doubt until Darran O Sullivan's goal.

2008 - Monaghan - Win
    Kerry were never in doubt, not like 2007. Game was level with 15 minutes to go, and i was never comfortable.

Kerry were cruising but gave away a few soft goals at the very very end.
    Cork never really 'put it up to them'.
    Plus Killain Young missed a score-able chance after Cork had levelled it from the Cusack stand side kicking into the canal goal. You're thinking of the drawn game, in the replay Cork came from 9 points down to draw level with 5 minutes to go. Gooch then scored a goal and Kerry won by 4.

2009 Antrim - Win
    Another that was not really in doubt Game was level with 10 minutes to go.
    The Sligo game that year was the only one were Kerry were really at risk of loosing

2010 - Limerick - Win
    A late surge by Limerick put a gloss on the score line, no way was the game on the line like it was back on 2004. Limerick came from 7 points down to level the game with 10 minutes go, Kerry won by 3.

But the point still stands that Kerry have failed to win an All Ireland final when it has been put up to them late in the game. That's fair enough, just shows the quality of Tyrone, particularly in 2005, Kerry actually did well to only lose by 3 points that day. Last year was definitely one Kerry left slip away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Word is that there is no Changes for Sunday.

Delighted if true. Work around the county about Dropping Donnacha for Darren, which would be suicide.

Donnacha is a hard working, vital cog in this Kerry team. He was sorely missed in the begining of the year, and when he is there, our forwards work better.

He tracks back, enabling Declan to stay forward. Darren is superb going forward, but doesn't do the work going back early in the game. When the game opens up in the second half, Darren is a brilliant player to come off the bench, and is a bigger attacking threat then Donnacha, but I think Donnacha deserves the chance to run his bollix off for 40 minutes, and let Darren loose on the open spaces in Croke Park for the last 30.

EDIT: Just as Confirmation, no changes:

1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin) 2. Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    3. Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore), 4. Shane Enright (Tarbert)
    5. Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 6. Eoin Brosnan (Dr. Crokes) 7. Killian Young (Renard)
    8. Anthony Maher (Duagh) 9. Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary’s) 10. Paul Galvin (Finuge)
    11. Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) 12. Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane) 13. James O’Donoghue, (Killarney Legion)
    14. Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes) 15. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) .

The Substitutes are as follows:
    16. Brian Kelly (Killarney Legion) 17. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmet’s)
    18. Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 19. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    20. Kieran O’Leary (Dr Crokes) 21. Johnny Buckley (Dr Crokes)
    22. Patrick Curtin (Moyvane) 23. Jonathan Lyne (Killarney Legion)
    24. Seamus Scanlon (Currow) 25. Barry John Keane (Kerins O’Rahilly’s)
    26. Fionn Fitzgerald (Dr Crokes) 27. Michael Geaney (Daingean Uí Chúis)

Bainisteóir: Jack O'Connor (Piarsaigh Na Dromada)
    Traenálaí: Alan O'Sullivan (Kerins O'Rahillys)
    Roghnóirí: Ger O'Keeffe (Austin Stacks) Diarmuid Ó Murchú (Daingean Uí Chúis) and Eamon Fitzmaurice (Finuge)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Word is that there is no Changes for Sunday.

Delighted if true. Work around the county about Dropping Donnacha for Darren, which would be suicide.

Donnacha is a hard working, vital cog in this Kerry team. He was sorely missed in the begining of the year, and when he is there, our forwards work better.

He tracks back, enabling Declan to stay forward. Darren is superb going forward, but doesn't do the work going back early in the game. When the game opens up in the second half, Darren is a brilliant player to come off the bench, and is a bigger attacking threat then Donnacha, but I think Donnacha deserves the chance to run his bollix off for 40 minutes, and let Darren loose on the open spaces in Croke Park for the last 30.

EDIT: Just as Confirmation, no changes:

1. Brendan Kealy (Kilcummin) 2. Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht)
    3. Aidan O’Mahony (Rathmore), 4. Shane Enright (Tarbert)
    5. Tomás Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) 6. Eoin Brosnan (Dr. Crokes) 7. Killian Young (Renard)
    8. Anthony Maher (Duagh) 9. Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary’s) 10. Paul Galvin (Finuge)
    11. Declan O’Sullivan (Piarsaigh Na Dromada) 12. Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane) 13. James O’Donoghue, (Killarney Legion)
    14. Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes) 15. Kieran Donaghy (Austin Stacks) .

The Substitutes are as follows:
    16. Brian Kelly (Killarney Legion) 17. Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmet’s)
    18. Darran O’Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 19. Peter Crowley (Laune Rangers)
    20. Kieran O’Leary (Dr Crokes) 21. Johnny Buckley (Dr Crokes)
    22. Patrick Curtin (Moyvane) 23. Jonathan Lyne (Killarney Legion)
    24. Seamus Scanlon (Currow) 25. Barry John Keane (Kerins O’Rahilly’s)
    26. Fionn Fitzgerald (Dr Crokes) 27. Michael Geaney (Daingean Uí Chúis)

Bainisteóir: Jack O'Connor (Piarsaigh Na Dromada)
    Traenálaí: Alan O'Sullivan (Kerins O'Rahillys)
    Roghnóirí: Ger O'Keeffe (Austin Stacks) Diarmuid Ó Murchú (Daingean Uí Chúis) and Eamon Fitzmaurice (Finuge)

Just looking at the subs listed there was noticeable how young the subs are overall. Scanlon at 32 is really an exception. The ages might not be 100% spot on but should be pretty accurate. Overall there is a lot of quality there for the future.

16. Brian Kelly 22
    17. Brian Maguire 23
    18. Darran O’Sullivan 26
    19. Peter Crowley 24
    20. Kieran O’Leary 26
    21. Johnny Buckley 24
    22. Patrick Curtin 24
    23. Jonathan Lyne 24
    24. Seamus Scanlon 32
    25. Barry John Keane 24
    26. Fionn Fitzgerald 23
    27. Michael Geaney 24

Agree on Donnacha starting as I would expect his work-rate to be a big asset on Sunday.

One thing I think has been overlooked has been how well the Kerry defence has been doing in the Championship.

Conceeded 10 points to Tipp, 17 to Cork, 1-6 to Tyrone and 1-6 to Clare.

Really find it hard to see a situation where Donegal score anything like they have in their games to date.

Scoring 1-16 again Cavan, 2-13 against Derry and 2-18 against Down is one thing. Kerry's defence is a whole different kettle of fish compared to the defences Donegal have faced before and I reckon it is far more likely to score something along the lines of the 10 points they scored against Tyrone. Unless Kerry's forwards seriously misfire I find it very hard to see a situation where Kerry don't come out ahead.

Bit of a nuisance with the minors playing at 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Real bad planning by the gaa, why not have the game on earlier and side by side with the minors? Instead the two counties with the furthest to travel get the latest game on a bank holiday sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Scanlon is only turning 30 this year.

Barry John is only 22 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

great win for the minors..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Don't worry lads , we'll sort Donegal for ye in the semi final.

There is a search party sent out for Stinicker, anyone see him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 YoungTrouble

Very sad to hear there was an altercation between some Kerry supporters and Curtin after the match.Kerry fans should back him no matter what.

Very sad to hear there was an altercation between some Kerry supporters and Curtin after the match.Kerry fans should back him no matter what.

What happened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

A rebuild job required. New manager with new ideas and players and Kerry will be in an All Ireland Final within a year or two.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement