Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Premier League: Pre-Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

BKC wrote: »
    Well they were trying to sign Adebayor but he is being stupid as usual, but that means they are looking to sign another striker.

I heard they are looking to sign 1 striker which looks like leaving them a bit light up front but I don`t care cos I`m not a spurs fan.

I saw a bit of their game against Liverpool last night and if they persist with that high defensive line then there isn`t a chance in hell they`ll keep many clean sheets so I think their defenders are to be avoided like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

I saw a bit of their game against Liverpool last night and if they persist with that high defensive line then there isn`t a chance in hell they`ll keep many clean sheets so I think their defenders are to be avoided like the plague.

Brad Friedel will not be suited to playing the sweeper keeper role at all, just like Petr Cech wasn't.

Tottenham should really be looking to sign Hugo Lloris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

BKC wrote: »
    Brad Friedel will not be suited to playing the sweeper keeper role at all, just like Petr Cech wasn't.

Tottenham should really be looking to sign Hugo Lloris.

I think any keeper is gonna struggle with a defence like that...you`d think AVB would have realised that system doesn`t really work in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

In fairness though... they did actually keep a clean sheet against Liverpool the last day so it's not completely flawed! I'm investing in Spurs' defence. Their fixtures are too good not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jcunning

Which Spurs defenders interest you FatRat? Kaboul seems great value at 5.5M, he's fit and not prone to injuries. Surely it'll be Kaboul and Vertonghen as the first choice centreback partnership?

Caulker was great value last season, bonus point magnet. With Gallas and Dawson still there, I can't see him getting as many minutes this season. I hope I'm wrong and he gets opportunities.

• Advertisement

jcunning wrote: »
    Which Spurs defenders interest you FatRat? Kaboul seems great value at 5.5M, he's fit and not prone to injuries. Surely it'll be Kaboul and Vertonghen as the first choice centreback partnership?

Caulker was great value last season, bonus point magnet. With Gallas and Dawson still there, I can't see him getting as many minutes this season. I hope I'm wrong and he gets opportunities.

I'm looking at Kaboul but there's word it'll be Dawson+Vert in the centre. I'm gonna have to wait and see. Even better if it's Dawson imo. Sure enough, he's injured a lot but if he gets fit he's 5.0 and a dangerous goal threat. I'm a fan of Dawson's. Great player, just a shame he's injured so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Hi everyone!

My name is Joey and I've just registered for boards.ie. Everyone seems so nice on these forums.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome and good luck! If you're looking to beat your friends or work colleagues this season, you'll blow them away if you stick with us. :D

... is anyone considering The Ox for Gameweek 1?

... Worth a punt on Giroud or Podolski?

I've got both Ox and Podolski on my shortlist. Really can't predict much in terms of how Arsenal are going to do this season with all the fuss over RVP, so I'm going to take the chance of sitting back and watching them play a few games before I pick any of their players, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

Just signed in for the first time this season, gettin exciroh now..

Will the same private leagues carry over as they did last couple of years? they dont appear to be there now.

Roonbox wrote: »
    Just signed in for the first time this season, gettin exciroh now..

Will the same private leagues carry over as they did last couple of years? they dont appear to be there now.

Nope, all new leagues.

Name - Boards.ie FSA
    Code - 29640-10344

Name - Boards.ie FSA H2H
    Code - 29640-18986

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Roonbox

carlcon wrote: »
    Nope, all new leagues.

Name - Boards.ie FSA
    Code - 29640-10344

Name - Boards.ie FSA H2H
    Code - 29640-18986

Cheers.

so I'm gonna have to set mine up from scratch again, damn it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

With Allen looking more likely to be heading to Liverpool, what do people make of that? Could be good value at £5.5, I'd say he'd be a starter there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Anyone considering Ba? I know he didn't do much in the second half of last season and was totally outperformed by Cisse. However, he clearly is a quality striker.

If Tevez starts then he's huge value and would sort a huge issue out for me (and probably everyone else about getting a City striker in).

The fact that everyone is putting Torres in for the first GW is a pain in the hole. If I don't put him in then I potentially lose ground on everyone else if he decides to score a couple. If I put him in then in the short-term I'm going to have to waste a transfer getting him out. Add that to the fact that I have Cole as well it might be tough to have enough in the bank to go for Aguero (depending on Tevex issue)/Rooney etc...

:mad:

Ba didn't play much at the start of last season because he practices Ramadan and basically needs to get his diet and fitness sorted before playing regularly. I suspect the same will happen this season, meaning we should hold off on Ba for at least a month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Curse Spain coming back. Mata or hazard...

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭RB100

now that Pienaar is going back to everton i'm stuck between him and Walters. Stoke have the slightly easier fixtures and walters has 2 in 2 in pre season.

Everton; UTD(h) VILLA(a) WBA(a)

Stoke; RDG(a) ARS(h) WIG(a)

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Was chatting to a friend of mine who's a rabid Saints fan over the weekend and he was saying that while Lambert is their best goal scoring prospect, Jay Rodriguez is a better prospect from a FF perspective as he supposedly gets more assists and is "a fitter player than Lambert".

Have to look at his stats properly but he is 0.5 mill cheaper so I might throw him in there after the third or fourth week when they get over their tough start.

Fantasy football scout are after updating the set-piece takers list they had up last year. It show all the preferred set-piece takers ine ach team. An interesting one is that Noble looks like he takes everything for West Ham, similar to VP for Arsenal. Also, if VP leaves, Arteta is on Peno's, free-kicks and corners. Maloney is also second in line for penalties/free-kicks, Gomez is the preferred taker (apparently). VDV is on all set-pieces for Spurs with Siggy second in line. It's an interesting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Sooo anyone else change their team every 4 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

FatRat wrote: »
    Fantasy football scout are after updating the set-piece takers list they had up last year. It show all the preferred set-piece takers ine ach team. An interesting one is that Noble looks like he takes everything for West Ham, similar to VP for Arsenal. Also, if VP leaves, Arteta is on Peno's, free-kicks and corners. Maloney is also second in line for penalties/free-kicks, Gomez is the preferred taker (apparently). VDV is on all set-pieces for Spurs with Siggy second in line. It's an interesting list.

This one alone is the most interesting,at 5.0 he is the go to budget midfield this season i think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

dahat wrote: »
    This one alone is the most interesting,at 5.0 he is the go to budget midfield this season i think

Think he scored around 8/9 goals last season and all were penalties bar one...

Wont offer much from play however as he tends to sit back. He is prone to getting stuck in too so yellow cards and reds could be an issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

When I last played the game the year before last there was some website which tracked players who were about to rise or fall in value. Does anybody know what that site was?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Eathrin wrote: »
    When I last played the game the year before last there was some website which tracked players who were about to rise or fall in value. Does anybody know what that site was?
    Fiso or totalfpl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Eathrin wrote: »
    Fiso or totalfpl

Totalfpl, that's the one. Handy when you have a few million extra at the end of the season.

City beat Malaysia XI 3-1. Aguero with a goal and 2 assists. Tevez and Johnson with the two other goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

City beat Malaysia XI 3-1. Aguero with a goal and 2 assists. Tevez and Johnson with the two other goals.

any idea how city lined up? did they play 3 at the back again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Not a City fan but to me Auguero is the main man in that team,going to be a regular in my team this year...

redzerdrog wrote: »
    any idea how city lined up? did they play 3 at the back again?

Pantilimon; Zabaleta, Savic, Kolo Toure, Kolarov; Yaya Toure (captain), Suarez, Razak; Johnson, Tevez, Aguero.

4 at the back. Weak midfield. 4-3-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

This Boselli lad is looking promising but I can't find him in the game, is he listed?
    Wigan signed him the season before last. He had a great goalscoring record at his old club and alot of people had him in their starting fpl team but he flopped and was loaned out after about a dozen games.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Sooo anyone else change their team every 4 hours?

Definitely every day - I keep changing my forwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

RB100 wrote: »
    now that Pienaar is going back to everton i'm stuck between him and Walters. Stoke have the slightly easier fixtures and walters has 2 in 2 in pre season.

Everton; UTD(h) VILLA(a) WBA(a)

Stoke; RDG(a) ARS(h) WIG(a)

Thoughts?

I'm going with both. For me, they are two top midfielders available for a cheap price. Walters can be hot and cold and it pays to rotate him for when he is playing at home but he is always amongst the top twenty or so points scorers for a lad that is an average price.

I didn't rate Pienaar until last year but I think Everton will play him in a similar position to the end of the season and allow him to get forward. That's why I'm taking a punt on him. If he was at Everton before the game was setup, I think he'd be at least 7 million, if not 8. He's been priced cheaply because he was a Spurs player and wouldn't have played.

Advertisement