Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

orange provocation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

alastair wrote: »
    I don't think the KKK was ever illegal.

All religions discriminate - and there's certainly members of many religious groups that promote hate. Should all religions therefore be made illegal? It's just not viable. The OO is unambiguously discriminatory, but how many of it's members actually promote hate - do they all?

That's not really the point though, it is likely that not all members of the Nazi party promoted hate yet that is what the ideals of the party was essentially.

Also, The Orange Order is not a religion so I don't see the relevance?

It is an organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

If you're born in Belfast, you can opt to get an Irish or a UK passport. If you opt out of the Irish passport, what's actually defining you as Irish? You can justifiably point to your being from Ulster, but beyond that...?

The passport will say the united kingdom of great Britain & northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

:confused:
    Try reading what I said. This is not about being British or Irish but on the fact that (say) Belfast is as much part of Ireland as Cork is.

Let me ease your confusion. It's a different country. Has been for quite a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

billybudd wrote: »
    It is under the UK jurisdiction but resides on Irish soil. Most normal people in N.I will consider themselves Northern Irish.
    Good for them but that has nothing to do with my point.

If you're born in Belfast, you can opt to get an Irish or a UK passport. If you opt out of the Irish passport, what's actually defining you as Irish? You can justifiably point to your being from Ulster, but beyond that...?

What defines you as being Irish is the fact that you were born on the island of Ireland. Nothing to do with the Republic of Ireland or the Uk. Simply the land where you were born.

Beyond that it doesn't require anything further tbh.

• Advertisement

The passport will say the united kingdom of great Britain & northern Ireland.

Yep. Northern Ireland - which is unarguably a different place to that other Ireland.

kryogen wrote: »
    What defines you as being Irish is the fact that you were born on the island of Ireland. Nothing to do with the Republic of Ireland or the Uk. Simply the land where you were born.

Beyond that it doesn't require anything further tbh.

What if you were born on the island of Hispaniola? What would that make you?

Let me ease your confusion. It's a different country. Has been for quite a few years now.

Yes, Belfast is part of Northern Ireland, part of the United Kingdom, located in Ireland.

And this has got what to do with bigoty?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Define Irishness for me please?

• Advertisement

Yes, Belfast is part of Northern Ireland, part of the United Kingdom, located in Ireland.

Part of the British Isles. ;)

And this has got what to do with bigoty?

absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yep. Northern Ireland - which is unarguably a different place to that other Ireland.

The clue is really in the title.

Northern IRELAND.

Same as the Republic of Ireland is also on the island of Ireland.

Ireland is Ireland irrespective of who governs which parts.
    In a hypothetical situation where half of England leaves the Union which would be the "Real England"?? The part that continues with the status quo or the part that changes?? Or is the concept quite silly.

There is only one Ireland.

Atlantic Archipelago is increasingly favoured in academia

Good for them but that has nothing to do with my point.

I was agreeing with you, as in Irish people from the northern part of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TommyPolack

What kind of past events? Does that extend to any group?

I read only few books about British and Irish history and I am not an expert, but one I can say.
    I am thinking out loud now.
    Germans are not celebrating invasion of Poland, American have no celebration of Vietnam War...hmmm... it looks like NI is the only place where occupier celebrate conquering foreign country.
    IF Brits have a celebration where they are celebrating successful DEFENCE of their own motherland, it would be a very positive and educational experience.
    Is it “colonialism” bursting in my face? Looks like it and I hope I am wrong.
    Don’t get me wrong. IT IS NOT MY CONFLICT and I LOVE BELFAST. That is why I took action. But I can say that from the “outside of the box” this is a silly situation.
    Loyalists are offending other Nationalities and expect to “wash it off”. Members of my family died defending our flag and independence and no Brit will burn our flags in front of our eyes during biggest annual celebrations.
    Whoever did it is out of his mind.

Answering your question – I don’t think that Orange Institution picked “Neutral” past event to celebrate and if this is not enough, Protestants do everything they can to humiliate people who have no British passport.
    So childish...

I was agreeing with you, as in Irish people from the northern part of Ireland.
    OK. :D
    But I am staying clear of the topic of nationality.

• Advertisement

OK. :D
    But I am staying clear of the topic of nationality.

So was I.

Ireland is Ireland irrespective of who governs which parts.
    In a hypothetical situation where half of England leaves the Union which would be the "Real England"?? The part that continues with the status quo or the part that changes?? Or is the concept quite silly.

Cornwall remains cornish for many, even though it's part of England - it's the 'real' Cornwall because the Cornish people self identify as such. Wrexham is part of Wales, but used to be part of England (iirc), so is it really Welsh or English?

Bottom line - if you live in a state which is independent of a neighbour, and you don't hold to the cultural heritage of that neighbour, it's not unexpected that you would want to distinguish your identity from them, is it?

So was I.
    Lets go for a pint then :D

I read only few books about British and Irish history and I am not an expert, but one I can say.
    I am thinking out loud now.
    Germans are not celebrating invasion of Poland, American have no celebration of Vietnam War...hmmm... it looks like NI is the only place where occupier celebrate conquering foreign country.
    IF Brits have a celebration where they are celebrating successful DEFENCE of their own motherland, it would be a very positive and educational experience.
    Is it “colonialism” bursting in my face? Looks like it and I hope I am wrong.
    Don’t get me wrong. IT IS NOT MY CONFLICT and I LOVE BELFAST. That is why I took action. But I can say that from the “outside of the box” this is a silly situation.
    Loyalists are offending other Nationalities and expect to “wash it off”. Members of my family died defending our flag and independence and no Brit will burn our flags in front of our eyes during biggest annual celebrations.
    Whoever did it is out of his mind.

Answering your question – I don’t think that Orange Institution picked “Neutral” past event to celebrate and if this is not enough, Protestants do everything they can to humiliate people who have no British passport.
    So childish...

Some do Tommy and they are bigots and actually have nothing to do with religion, Most protestants on this island just want to live in peace. don,t let a minority of bigots cloud your view.

it looks like NI is the only place where occupier celebrate conquering foreign country..

Again - the 12th isn't about celebrating conquering any foreign country. Try reading up on it.

Cornwall remains cornish for many, even though it's part of England - it's the 'real' Cornwall because the Cornish people self identify as such. Wrexham is part of Wales, but used to be part of England (iirc), so is it really Welsh or English?

Bottom line - if you live in a state which is independent of a neighbour, and you don't hold to the cultural heritage of that neighbour, it's not unexpected that you would want to distinguish your identity from them, is it?
    People can call themselves or identify with whatever they like, it wont change the fact of where they were born or the name of the place where they live.
    Did my Grandfather suddenly stop being "from Ireland" on 6 December 1922??

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TommyPolack

Some do Tommy and they are bigots and actually have nothing to do with religion, Most protestants on this island just want to live in peace. don,t let a minority of bigots cloud your view.

In Belfast I met people from the ENTIRE World - China, India, Germany, France, Zimbabwe, Slovakia, Russia, Latvia…
    99% people I know (Brits, Irish and other) are amazing, friendly and I have a lot of respect for all of them and I would NEVER do anything to offend them. Especially, when I am a “host” of their visit.
    There are BAD apples in UK basket, grown up kids, people who think that Britain is at the center of the Universe, who think that they can get away with crimes (let’s call burning flags the way it is described), who want everything for nothing (I had a company in here ;/ ).
    I only hope that this conversation will help them to understand that such a weird behavior of grownups is simply WRONG compared to EU / Western World / World arena.

People can call themselves or identify with whatever they like, it wont change the fact of where they were born or the name of the place where they live.
    Did my Grandfather suddenly stop being "from Ireland" on 6 December 1922??

Did Slovaks stop being from Czechoslovakia in '92? I'd say they did.

Donegal & cavan to name but a few ulster & Norther ireland parts?

• Advertisement

Again - the 12th isn't about celebrating conquering any foreign country. Try reading up on it.

No the 12th is about celebrating the Battle of the Boyne.

What happened there exactly? No conquering?

Advertisement