Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phoenix Park Concert - Swedish House Mafia *** READ POST 121 BEFORE POSTING***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

So nine stabbed

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0708/stabbing-phoenix-park-concert.html

and at least one confimed overdose directly linked to last nights concert

http://www.thejournal.ie/phoenix-park-three-males-dead-swedish-house-mafia-overdose-513781-Jul2012/

No matter what spin mcd or anyone else try to put on it that truly is a shocking thing to happen at concert. Ive also heard plenty of stories of people being assualted, this thing given the target audience always had disaster written all over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

I went to the gig and I had an amazing time, SHM were great and so were the other acts.

What annoys me is that there's such a bad image associated with one of my favourite types of music, it seemed that a lot of people were there for the sole purpose of getting pissed and causing trouble and not for the music. You could tell straight away from seeing the behavior of some of the people. Though it's only a small majority, they ruin it for everyone else. I just want to see some of my favourite DJs perform live without having to witness this shíte.

At one stage during Snoop Dogg I was pushed into some girl, she was pissed and proceeded to dig me in the head twice, I pushed her back and her boyfriend squared up to me, ready for a fight. I just walked away. He was a complete scumbag.

It's terrible to hear about stabbings at a gig I was at,, again a bad image for electronic music festivals. That said though I met some nice people during SHM who were there for the same reason I was, the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

unfortunately theres just something about certain people that means putting on a dance or rap gig in this country that always ends poorly

I'd disagree with ya on the always part. I've been to about 100 rap gigs here and it almost always doesn't end poorly. I've seen snoop, eminem,nas, jay z right down to small underground acts like necro and amtosphete in the likes of crawdaddy. The majority were trouble free. The most trouble of any rap gig I attended was eminem in punchestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Wolvis

seanbmc wrote: »
    I went to the gig and I had an amazing time, SHM were great and so were the other acts.

What annoys me is that there's such a bad image associated with one of my favourite types of music, it seemed that a lot of people were there for the sole purpose of getting pissed and causing trouble and not for the music. You could tell straight away from seeing the behavior of some of the people. Though it's only a small majority, they ruin it for everyone else. I just want to see some of my favourite DJs perform live without having to witness this shíte.

At one stage during Snoop Dogg I was pushed into some girl, she was pissed and proceeded to dig me in the head twice, I pushed her back and her boyfriend squared up to me, ready for a fight. I just walked away. He was a complete scumbag.

It's terrible to hear about stabbings at a gig I was at,, again a bad image for electronic music festivals. That said though I met some nice people during SHM who were there for the same reason I was, the music.

I agree man, SHM were unbelieveable and Tinie Tempah was by far the most interactive with the crowd, so bummed I didn't get to see them perform Save the World :(

I was having great fun talking to some people who were loving it :) some fella out of his head with his eyelids barely open was asking me my name and put his arm around me, just walked away from him lol.

Like MattHelders pointed out, i'd like to mention I don't smoke or do any kind of drugs, Snoop was probably the biggest let down of the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

I hate dance music with a passion but I had to go to this as I saw SHM at Oxegen and they were unbelievable. And they didn't disappoint last night. Fantastic light shows. And before anyone asks. No I don't do drugs and no, I haven't been in a fight since I was about 12

I love Snoop but the sound quality for him was shocking.

Enjoyed the gig greatly and didn't see any trouble so I am very disappointed to see what has happened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Would anyone be able to put up Snoop's setlist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

only relizing the gravitas.. The sheer scale if the multiple attempted slayings. And one e casualty? dear o dear - death by distasteful misadventure, what with all that vacuous digital air whoosin over their 'eds stoking some sort of 'euphoric' frenzy. Disco hipsters and scangers alike for like, the same ****in tripe. It's about the coming together

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭SYLT

With these type of gigs you should go early and get in the pit. Loads of room to move around, less dopes and around 5 stewards walking around all the time.

I was in the pit last night and didn't have 1 spot of bother, really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Why don't they pre-emptively sort these situations out? do it like the UCD Ball.
    UCD Ball - no glass containers are served inside the venue, anything you order is in a plastic or cardboard cup.
    EVERYONE is searched on entry to make sure they have no knives or bottles.

Seriously, what legitimate excuse is there for carrying a knife around? A knife is a weapon, there should be absolutely zero tolerance to them at concerts and other events like this.

If people were stabbed, it means they had objects to stab people with. That shouldn't have been allowed to happen in the first place. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

LH Pathe wrote: »
    only relizing the gravitas.. The sheer scale if the multiple attempted slayings. And one e casualty? dear o dear - death by distasteful misadventure, what with all that vacuous digital air whoosin over their 'eds stoking some sort of 'euphoric' frenzy. Disco hipsters and scangers alike for like, the same ****in tripe. It's about the coming together

Looks like your still feeling the affects of whatever you took last night :p

• Advertisement

SYLT wrote: »
    With these type of gigs you should go early and get in the pit. Loads of room to move around, less dopes and around 5 stewards walking around all the time.

I was in the pit last night and didn't have 1 spot of bother, really enjoyed it.

How man? I got there through the gates with my brother and friend at 3:15, he got a wristband for the pit and we didn't, was offering them 50 euro for 2 wristbands, was so disappointed.

I guess they give them out at random? so stupid if so, do they expect people to ditch their mates or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ItsNugget wrote: »
    I'd disagree with ya on the always part. I've been to about 100 rap gigs here and it almost always doesn't end poorly. I've seen snoop, eminem,nas, jay z right down to small underground acts like necro and amtosphete in the likes of crawdaddy. The majority were trouble free. The most trouble of any rap gig I attended was eminem in punchestown.

ok ill conceed that, although the smaller gigs wouldnt be on the radar really, its generally the bigger the name the more likely the trouble, its a sad state though as it gives hip-hop a bad name and discourages promoters from bringing some quality acts here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

they need to start policing better,when i was over in the UK there were police everywhere,and not just for main events they were regularly on the beat out in their thousands,in cars etc ,everywhere,it should be like that here,people would feel safer and business would flock

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hego063h

great gig, i was in the middle of the crowd for the whole day, didn't see 1 bit of trouble for the whole day,had a great buzz, few messy people alrigh plenty of this going on
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

Kamjana wrote: »
    Quote:
    and the odd blowjob given openly
    Get any pics?

http://imgur.com/a/MXVcT NSFW

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ayup

dj_ wrote: »
    That was actually T in the Park in Scotland
    seen it first on Twitter

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There were very few gardai visible but i saw lots of drunken teenagers .The above statement is the usual press release . They were busy at the early stages clearing up bottles and cans knowing well the pics. would look very bad in the press .It was disgusting ' my walk was spoiled by abuse i received and i feared for my safety and went home earlier than i wanted too .There were a handful of security people also i believe but nothing like what was needed .I hope we never see that Act back again .

Any of you think they will do a reunion tour in a few years?

Would be gutted if they didn't do it in Ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

Was at the gig enjoyed it but drinking was insane. This blaming the promoter is ridiculous. People need to take personal responsibility for their actions. Just passed a bus stop ten miles away where people in wellies etc all waiting for bus to gig tonight hammered already with tons of booze in bags. Oldest looked sixteen. Whose fault is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

For once I am actually shocked that something on this scale happened, I knew things bad in this country but my god this was an eye opener even for me and with 18 years worth of gigs under my belt.

I really think things need to be looked at by the promoters, in no way am i blaming them but something needs to be done, I'm being brutally honest here if some of these characters walked up to the door of any self respecting night club the door staff would laugh at them before refusing them, not what I'd like to see happen for many obviously reasons but but a lot of the people involved in the problems would not attend an event from one end of the year to the next and only show up with the intent of getting off their face and cause trouble.

It really is a sign of the times we live in even to the extent where I'd be mindful of even looking the wrong way at these characters if I passed them on a street in broad daylight :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mr.S wrote: »
    Tbh, there was always, always going to be trouble at a gig like this, look in the past - big dance acts playing to big crowds here and there's always trouble.

Irish crowds are just genernally awful.
    Good to see that you're playing by the forum rules. :rolleyes:
    lordgoat wrote: »
    Ok. Before you post in here, make sure you understand this post.

We have no problem with anyone discussing any aspect of the gig.

That said any unsubstantiated stories will be dealt with very harshly.

Any form of abuse directed at other posters will be dealt with harshly.

Any sweeping generalisations about the 'type' of people that attended will be dealt with harshly.

Bear in mind there are alot of people out there today who's lives are completely changed after last night. Some sensitivity will be required from all posters in here.

It is also not true to say that "big dance acts playing to big crowds here and there's always trouble."

I've been to plenty and never seen the level of trouble that was reported to have been there last night. And for the record, the music that was played there last night was pop music, hence the amount of drunken kids at it.

And yep, trouble only ever happens at Irish gigs.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bagoftaytos

"that act" have broken up, so they probably won't be back.

Tbh, there was always, always going to be trouble at a gig like this, look in the past - big dance acts playing to big crowds here and there's always trouble.

Short of hiring a huge amount of security, which wouldn't make economical sense, I dont see what else the promoter could have done. I don't blame MCD at all really. They had more then the minimum number of external security required for the event. At a gig this size, if people want to cause trouble then they can, there is realistic way of stopping them.

Hmmm, a moderator breaking the rules.
    lordgoat wrote: »
    Ok. Before you post in here, make sure you understand this post.

Any sweeping generalisations about the 'type' of people that attended will be dealt with harshly.

I wonder what the harsh treatment will be? (I fully understand that I will probably banned for pointing this out)

I never once said that the trouble at previous dance gigs in Ireland where as big as what happened at the SHM gig...
    You didn't, and that's fair enough, it was just the sweeping statements that I took issue with.

And yes it was Dance music, they are DJ's along with Calvin Harris, they might not be respected as such, but yeah they play popular music/ chart in their set so it attracts the teenage crowd.
    It just bothers me that all electronic music gigs will be tarred with the same brush, when this gig, while dance music in a sense, was essentially just a pop concert.

Fair enough, it was a bit of a generalization and apologies for that, but you can't deny that these type of gigs in Ireland go without trouble?
    Fair enuffski, but you could say the same about an Aslan gig, which is Dance music.

And again, when did I say trouble only happens at Irish gigs :rolleyes:
    But why generalise as if Irish audiences are any different to audiences anywhere else in the world?

If Lordgoat wants to take up my post with me then I'm sure he will, just because I'm a mod
    of this forum doesn't mean if I break rules set out I can just get away with it.
    Hopefully not, just a little bit of balance would be nice.

I hate generalisations but lets not be overly PC about this, the root of the trouble lies with us as a society and our relationship with alcohol and has nothing who/where people come from, more a discussion for another thread I think but as a society we need to look at these issues and or stop tolerating them which to a large extent is happening and in some ways a worse thing I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bagoftaytos

I've been to loads of huge dance events, from Homelands on and saw no trouble. You are generalising by saying there will "always, always be trouble" at events like this. Thats just horseapples.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭green day rule

Their Just Ruining Gigs For People That Want To Go To Enjoy It
    Bands/Artists Wont Want To Play Ireland Because Of Trouble Like This!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭O'Doodle

As I've said before, MCD are really going to struggle to get a licence for any of these events again. Can't see Oxegen coming back now at all...

And I agree with a previous poster, in the UK security and health and safety appears to be taken far more seriously by the authorities. I'm not blaming MCD for this, they simply follow the procedures and rules laid down by the Irish authorities.

Any events I've been to in the UK, you see hundreds of police officers marshalling events. You also have alot of undercover, plain clothes police officers amongst the crowd, combating people selling/taking drugs and combating other criminal activities.

Last week for the BBC Hackney weekend, everyone was put through airport style security (metal detector tests, bag checks etc etc). For other festivals across the UK you see similar sorts of security checks. For Glastonbury, everyone has to apply for tickets and I believe background checks are also done before tickets are issued.

O'Doodle wrote: »
    You also have alot of undercover, plain clothes police officers amongst the crowd, combating people selling/taking drugs and combating other criminal activities.

Drug taking is not the biggest problem at these type of events, it's alcohol and our unhealthy attitude to drinking in this country.

O'Doodle wrote: »
    As I've said before, MCD are really going to struggle to get a licence for any of these events again. Can't see Oxegen coming back now at all...

And I agree with a previous poster, in the UK security and health and safety appears to be taken far more seriously by the authorities. I'm not blaming MCD for this, they simply follow the procedures and rules laid down by the Irish authorities.

Any events I've been to in the UK, you see hundreds of police officers marshalling events. You also have alot of undercover, plain clothes police officers amongst the crowd, combating people selling/taking drugs and combating other criminal activities.

Last week for the BBC Hackney weekend, everyone was put through airport style security (metal detector tests, bag checks etc etc). For other festivals across the UK you see similar sorts of security checks. For Glastonbury, everyone has to apply for checks and I believe background checks are also done.

Didn't they have to submit a photo too that was printed on the ticket? I'm going to search for that because I may not be recalling those details correctly, there were other reasons for application and the checks and some cases over the top but what other alternatives are we being left with I'm asking myself.

Edit: Also just because people check out is no accounting for how they behave when intoxicated nor does it mean that someone guilty of a minor crime will automatically be trouble at an event , it's not a fool proof system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Drug taking is not the biggest problem at these type of events, it's alcohol and our unhealthy attitude to drinking in this country.

Well it was a big one last night because that has been confirmed as the cause of death of the person who died unfortunately.

The Alcohol and our attitude is for a new thread entirely. Totally right there.

Advertisement