Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers Who Lunch - The Off Topic Thread (All Chat Goes Here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel in Galway city please? Somewhere that's not too expensive.

The bf and I were meant to be going to Dublin for our anniversary, but now we're thinking of heading to Galway for a night or two, if we can get a good deal.

Thinking of heading down in August, maybe around the bank holiday weekend, although, we've no definite dates yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel in Galway city please? Somewhere that's not too expensive.

The bf and I were meant to be going to Dublin for our anniversary, but now we're thinking of heading to Galway for a night or two, if we can get a good deal.

Thinking of heading down in August, maybe around the bank holiday weekend, although, we've no definite dates yet.

the harbour hotel was nice when I stayed there,very central too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Polloloca

G hotel is my favourite!! Went there a few times with my ex. Love it!! Not the cheapest hotel in Galway I'd imagine. I've stayed in the radisson too, nice spa! Recommend both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Polloloca wrote: »
    Personally i can think of better ways of getting no sleep all night, that doesn't involve two whinging children. Imagine that for a nightmare. You'd be just barely getting over the traumatic experience of potty training one when you'd have to do the second one, they'd be hitting puberty around the same time.

Good lord, someone pass those parents some Valium.

Then you get to pay for them both to go through college at the same time too, fun.

Muffin Pillo Hotel in Galway is always very reasonable because it's a little bit outside the city, 10 minute walk maybe. There's The House Hotel too, that's very central, Spanish Arch Hotel, Jury's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I got talking to this guy and he did seem really nice til he goes if we meet up we should be discreet because i have a girlfriend! :eek:

Scumbag! :mad: im not fussed though i wasnt that into him

feel sorry for the girlfriend though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Back playing Skyrim again now, really getting sucked in, but enjoying it so much I can't stop! :p

just got married to Lydia (a character in the game that fights alongside you) and at our wedding, we were wearing matching sets of orcish armor. just how nerdy is that? we run around killing dragons together.

60QbU.jpg

Neeeeerd! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

G hotel is my favourite!! Went there a few times with my ex. Love it!! Not the cheapest hotel in Galway I'd imagine. I've stayed in the radisson too, nice spa! Recommend both.

G Hotel is gorgeous, but it is expensive! So, so gorgeous though!

I stayed in the Carlton a few times and it's pretty reasonable. Lil bit outside the city though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Well,

Joe Manganiello has only gone and gotten himself a blonde,french dancer girlfriend.
    Can't help but feel I can't compete..
    Still nice to look at him..
    the-joe-manganiello-workout.jpg

Looks so like my Fiance, my dream fiance not my real life one..

He is yokky, too lumpy muscly and cranky looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm totally scared of muscly guys! :pac: I'd just feel so inadequate with one, what with my un-gym touched body!

• Advertisement

They're useless for hugs too, I like muscular arms and stuff but if they're just solid muscle it's not cuddly.

the harbour hotel was nice when I stayed there,very central too
    Acoshla wrote: »
    Then you get to pay for them both to go through college at the same time too, fun.

Muffin Pillo Hotel in Galway is always very reasonable because it's a little bit outside the city, 10 minute walk maybe. There's The House Hotel too, that's very central, Spanish Arch Hotel, Jury's.
    Cheers guys, not too gone on The G Hotel to be honest, the boyfriends brother and his gf have stayed there before and weren't too keen on it either.

Going to check out your recommendations, if you think of any more, let me know :)

Muffin did ye want somewhere really nice or just a base in the city?

Kinlay House Hostel has private rooms and is great, really central, clean, cheap, etc. Please go to Vina Mara for dinner too! :) And go to Gourmet Tart, and McCambridges, and Cava, and Candyland.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭WinterSong

I'm really bored. Microsoft word is loading now so I think I'll write a bit and hope it passes some time.

Muffin did ye want somewhere really nice or just a base in the city?

Kinlay House Hostel has private rooms and is great, really central, clean, cheap, etc. Please go to Vina Mara for dinner too! :) And go to Gourmet Tart, and McCambridges, and Cava, and Candyland.... :D
    Just a base to be honest.

We'd be arriving on a Friday evening and leaving on a Sunday afternoon, and during the Saturday we'd be out and about tbh.

I'll look into Kinlay house now, looking on www.goireland.com and getting various hotels starting around €200 :eek: We couldn't afford that tbh, and if it's the cheapest we could get, we'd prob give it a miss.

Have you link to those places your talking about? Wouldn't mind trying them out lol :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

thats nice links, but my skyrim wife got the Nocturnal dress :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

We'd be arriving on a Friday evening and leaving on a Sunday afternoon, and during the Saturday we'd be out and about tbh.

I always find there's no middle ground with hotels in Galway, it's either cheap B&Bs or super expensive hotels. Anytime I'm up there my bf and I always stay in a B&B called Griffin Lodge, it's about a 10 minute walk into the city and 10 minutes in the other direction brings you to Salthill, here's a link. http://www.galway.net/galwayguide/showyp.shtml?id=1985

We were there in May and it was €70 a night for a double room plus brekkie.

Sleepzone Hostel is meant to pretty good too, I'd stay in Kinlay House if I was staying in they city again. All of them places have websites or facebook pages I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Is Jane online or is there anybody else who might be able to offer advice? I've posted this in the Animals & Pets forum but haven't received any replies yet.

Late last night we heard our jack russell making crazy noises in the trees beside our house, these noises usually result from him trying to get a cat out of tree or something like that. He's a typical jack russell, once he gets into something he won't give up. We've only had him just under a year so we've gradually been training him up. Luckily his recall is a lot better now and we were able to call him out of the trees and into the house for the night. We couldn't see what he was fighting with and we thought nothing more of it.

However, this morning I heard him making the same noises in the trees so I went out to investigate. Spotted what I thought was a beehive or a small log and the dog wrestling with it, figured he'd get bored and give up. After a while I called the dog out of the trees and put him in the house so that I could investigate. Managed to figure out that it is a hedgehog.

He was completely still up to about 2 hours ago and I've been going out to take a look at him every now and then. He has moved slightly and I can see him breathing but there are flies landing on him which makes me think he's injured or possibly dying. He is lying near what looks like could be his nest (I have looked up pictures on the net). He's not making any noise and he does look like an adult hedgehog.

I went out a few minutes ago and he was moving the top half of his body (he could well have been moving his bottom half too but I couldn't see it). I brought out a shallow lunch box with water in it, a small bit of chicken and a some crunched up weetabix (I read online that these are suitable foods, if not, can someone please advise) and put it as close to him as I could (I'm on crutches and the trees are very thick).

Just looking for some advice on what to do with him. Should I move him, provide a bed for him, should I continue to feed him, should I just leave him alone?

We don't have a car so we can't transport him to a vet and we don't have the money to call a vet out to our house.

I have contacted Waterford Animal Welfare (on their emergency mobile number), it rang out and I had to leave a voicemail, I also texted the number.

Anybody have any advice?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'll look into Kinlay house now, looking on www.goireland.com and getting various hotels starting around €200 :eek: We couldn't afford that tbh, and if it's the cheapest we could get, we'd prob give it a miss.

Have you link to those places your talking about? Wouldn't mind trying them out lol :D

Whats your price range? Tbh, a summer bank holiday weekend in a tourist city, you are looking at high room rates. you might get a good deal midweek.

• Advertisement

I always find there's no middle ground with hotels in Galway, it's either cheap B&Bs or super expensive hotels. Anytime I'm up there my bf and I always stay in a B&B called Griffin Lodge, it's about a 10 minute walk into the city and 10 minutes in the other direction brings you to Salthill, here's a link. http://www.galway.net/galwayguide/showyp.shtml?id=1985

We were there in May and it was €70 a night for a double room plus brekkie.
    Sleepzone Hostel is meant to pretty good too, I'd stay in Kinlay House if I was staying in they city again. All of them places have websites or facebook pages I think.
    Neyite wrote: »
    Whats your price range? Tbh, a summer bank holiday weekend in a tourist city, you are looking at high room rates. you might get a good deal midweek.
    Thanks guys.

@ Neyite - Budget is about €150 for both of us, €170 at a stretch.

Midweek isn't an option due to work and a course I will be doing, can only go on a Friday evening and come back on a Sunday.

I looked up later dates in August and was getting similar prices tbh.

@ Acoshla - Are these the websites for the places you recommend? Just checking, cos if we do go, we might book one of them online in advance.

Vina Mara looks fabulous. :)

http://www.vinamara.com/

http://www.mccambridges.com/

http://www.gourmettartco.com

http://www.cavarestaurant.ie/

http://candyland.ie/ - it's a definite yes to visiting Candyland if we go :D
    Is Jane online or is there anybody else who might be able to offer advice? I've posted this in the Animals & Pets forum but haven't received any replies yet.

Late last night we heard our jack russell making crazy noises in the trees beside our house, these noises usually result from him trying to get a cat out of tree or something like that. He's a typical jack russell, once he gets into something he won't give up. We've only had him just under a year so we've gradually been training him up. Luckily his recall is a lot better now and we were able to call him out of the trees and into the house for the night. We couldn't see what he was fighting with and we thought nothing more of it.

However, this morning I heard him making the same noises in the trees so I went out to investigate. Spotted what I thought was a beehive or a small log and the dog wrestling with it, figured he'd get bored and give up. After a while I called the dog out of the trees and put him in the house so that I could investigate. Managed to figure out that it is a hedgehog.

He was completely still up to about 2 hours ago and I've been going out to take a look at him every now and then. He has moved slightly and I can see him breathing but there are flies landing on him which makes me think he's injured or possibly dying. He is lying near what looks like could be his nest (I have looked up pictures on the net). He's not making any noise and he does look like an adult hedgehog.

I went out a few minutes ago and he was moving the top half of his body (he could well have been moving his bottom half too but I couldn't see it). I brought out a shallow lunch box with water in it, a small bit of chicken and a some crunched up weetabix (I read online that these are suitable foods, if not, can someone please advise) and put it as close to him as I could (I'm on crutches and the trees are very thick).

Just looking for some advice on what to do with him. Should I move him, provide a bed for him, should I continue to feed him, should I just leave him alone?

We don't have a car so we can't transport him to a vet and we don't have the money to call a vet out to our house.

I have contacted Waterford Animal Welfare (on their emergency mobile number), it rang out and I had to leave a voicemail, I also texted the number.

Anybody have any advice?
    Jane isn't online, but if you PM her, she might be able to reply via her phone or I can text her if you want Pixie?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I'd say continue to leave bits of food out but otherwise leave him, Pixie. Sounds like he won't make it, sadly :(

Would you mind texting her Muffin? She might not be able to get online but she might be able to text you a little bit of advice. No call back from Waterford Animal Welfare yet. I don't want to ring WSPCA as well just yet and tie up two different places in the one matter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

krudler wrote: »
    jaysus. they must like no sleep :pac:

Well they probably don't sleep much anyway based on this. Mating rituals and all that.

Would you mind texting her Muffin? She might not be able to get online but she might be able to text you a little bit of advice. No call back from Waterford Animal Welfare yet. I don't want to ring WSPCA as well just yet and tie up two different places in the one matter.
    Text sent, soon as I hear from her, I'll let you know hun :)

Thanks Muffin.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thanks guys.

@ Neyite - Budget is about €150 for both of us, €170 at a stretch.

Midweek isn't an option due to work and a course I will be doing, can only go on a Friday evening and come back on a Sunday.

I looked up later dates in August and was getting similar prices tbh.

So roughly 70-80 per night for two - say 35-40 per person per night? Do I have that right?

I'd say a b&b or hostel so. The cheaper hotels where you might get those rates are out of town a bit - Flannerys or Bodkins on the dublin road, or the Menlo Park hotel, which is right beside the Pillo hotel bluewolf mentioned might have cheaper rates. You could walk to Pillo or Menlo (10 mins into town, but if weather is bad its a taxi. Dublin road have bus options up till 11pm, but walking would be 20-30 mins.

Neyite wrote: »
    So roughly 70-80 per night for two - say 35-40 per person per night? Do I have that right?

I'd say a b&b or hostel so. The cheaper hotels where you might get those rates are out of town a bit - Flannerys or Bodkins on the dublin road, or the Menlo Park hotel, which is right beside the Pillo hotel bluewolf mentioned might have cheaper rates. You could walk to Pillo or Menlo (10 mins into town, but if weather is bad its a taxi. Dublin road have bus options up till 11pm, but walking would be 20-30 mins.
    Thanks Neyite, might have to increase the budget if we really want to go central. Will talk to himself about it.

Would a taxi cost much from the Pillo/Menlo into the city?

Also, is Barna far from the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

awec wrote: »
    Sitting on portmarmock beach, could sit here all day! :)

That's where i'm from :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Neyite, might have to increase the budget if we really want to go central. Will talk to himself about it.

Would a taxi cost much from the Pillo/Menlo into the city?

Also, is Barna far from the city?

Barna is further out. Deffo driving only, probably about 6 miles maybe? it would be dearer too because it's within walking distancce of beaches and more scenic than the east side of the city. Oranmore would be similar distance as barna but might be cheaper.

Not sure about taxi costs, but maybe a tenner to Pillo/Menlo? I know from Oranmore or Barna you'd be looking at about 20 quid or more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement