Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Ghandee wrote: »
    They won't you know.

Some of us have still got their back bones and won't be resorting to cowardly u-turns the coalition govt seem to gave become so accustomed to.
    When a court orders you to pay, you'll pay.

For the vast majority of people, the letters will be enough. I predict a steady increase in compliance over the next couple of months, and larger spikes with the start of prosecutions.

The anti HHC campaign has all but fizzled out. They never really had a strategy past a few badly attended protests.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Am Chile wrote: »
    Most people who haven,t paid have their minds up long ago and won,t be paying, sure some people will pay with threats of court, but a signifigant amount of people won,t pay, in two years the real property tax along with water charges is expected to be in place, plus with septic tank inspections to begin next year and people in rural areas expected to pay for upgrading or replacing septic tanks which could be a few €1000, they might have gotten €100 off some people, but they won,t getting over €1000 on a yearly basis for combined water charges/property taxes as people just won,t have the money, its not just one unpopular tax/charge that they want in its three, good luck not finding organised resistance to these charges/taxes.

i'm confident that the treat of legal action will turn even the hardest keyboard warrior or junior tax evader back on the straight and narrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »

For the vast majority of people, the letters will be enough. I predict a steady increase in compliance over the next couple of months, and larger spikes with the start of prosecutions.

The anti HHC campaign has all but fizzled out. They never really had a strategy past a few badly attended protests.

Lol, look at my sig.

A lot of courts attempted to 'order' me to do lots of things in the past.

I never flinched.

i'm confident that the treat of legal action will turn even the hardest keyboard warrior or junior tax evader back on the straight and narrow

Lol.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Lol, look at my sig.

I never flinched.

so a serial law breaker, and proud of it, wow you are a sterling role model aren't you, don't suppose you were out in those hut on dame street per chance?

• Advertisement

so a serial law breaker, and proud of it, wow you are a sterling role model aren't you, don't suppose you were out in those hut on dame street per chance?

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

You can be confident all you like, getting €100 from people is one thing, but in the longer run of things getting over €1000 per year from people is another thing completely as people simply won,t have that kind of money which the likes you prob won,t grasp, you can,t get blood from a stone and if you attempt to criminalise the stone you still won,t be able to get blood out of it.

What legal action?

Its already been said that no one will be jailed for non payment.

Do you think a threatening letter will make people jump up and pay it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I'm going to hold out as long as I can but I'm sure I will have to give in and pay eventually but it will be when I want too.

Lol, look at my sig.

I never flinched.
    If the campaign had any backbone it would have been "Do register, Don't pay", but instead, the chose a "hide and they mightn't find you" strategy.

It was bound to fail from the outset - it had cowardice built in.

• Advertisement

Just to remind some of the blueshirts on here what went down last time with the anti water charges campaign-in the longer run of things expect similar scenes.

What legal action?

Its already been said that no one will be jailed for non payment.

Do you think a threatening letter will make people jump up and pay it?

Well said exactly, if they keep true to their word that no one is jailed, the only other option left open to them is trying to take at source/income which the waterford branch of Unite trade union has passed a motion calling for Industrial action.

If the campaign had any backbone it would have been "Do register, Don't pay", but instead, the chose a "hide and they mightn't find you" strategy.

Why register?

If the govt want our details, and charge us for the privilege, they can bloody well get up of their back sides and work for it.

Lol, registry voluntarily with a hundred euro so we can screw you,year after year.

If Hogan had any more brains he'd be a half wit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

What? How is not aiding your enemies cowardly? To do so would be stupidity.

What? How is not aiding your enemies cowardly? To do so would be stupidity.
    Hiding from your 'enemies' is cowardly. Facing them would be the brave thing to do.

It would have also shown the real strength of the campaign and demonstrated actual solidarity. The 'hide and hope that they don't find you' strategy didn't work.

The anti HHC campaign won't even say how much money, if any, they have in their legal fund. When ordinary householders are summonsed to go to court how can they trust the campaign to stand with them when the campaign strategy was built around not getting found out.

Don,t register,that,s because some of us know the household charge and registration is all about building up a database of property owners nationwide so they will know who to send to bills to next year for the real property tax.

Hiding from your 'enemies' is cowardly. Facing them would be the brave thing to do.

It would have also shown the real strength of the campaign and demonstrated actual solidarity. The 'hide and hope that they don't find you' strategy didn't work.

The anti HHC campaign won't even say how much money, if any, they have in their legal fund. When ordinary householders are summonsed to go to court how can they trust the campaign to stand with them when the campaign strategy was built around not getting found out.

Why are you claiming the anti hhc campaign failed?

It didn't.

Ask Hogan if you don't believe me.

52% is not a success to the govt lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Has anyone actually got one of these famous letters? Or has Phil managed to fcuk that up too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

If you get a letter,thats if these letters even exist (or yet another idle threat).

And "IF" a judge orders you you pay you mean.

Big Phils strategy is doing great isnt it?????????

He cant even get his figures right FFS.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why are you claiming the anti hhc campaign failed?
    Because the charge hasn't been defeated, which was their aim.

Anyone who thinks it will be defeated now is living in cloud cookoo land. The campaign have admitted that they aren't going to legally defeat the charge and are relying on mass protests; which they have failed to deliver thus far.

• Advertisement

Anyone who thinks it will be defeated now is living in cloud cookoo land. The campaign have admitted that they aren't going to legally defeat the charge and are relying on mass protests; which they have failed to deliver thus far.

Has the household charge been a success for "Big Phil" then????

Please show me all the factual proof that says its been a success????

PS-Maybe "Big Phil" should lead by exampe and pay his own property bills and fees 1st,eh??:rolleyes:

paddy147 wrote: »
    And "IF" a judge orders you you pay you mean.
    If a judge order you to pay, he may also order you to pay a €2,500 fine.

Is the campaign going to help with paying this fine? No chance.

In actual fact the campaign never said it would be defeated in a few months, I think most people are well aware its gonna be a battle over a longer period of time similar to the anti poll tax and previous anti water charges battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I cannot understand the F.G. supporters complaining about people resisting unfair and unjust taxes. Joan Burton now leaking rises in PRSI too.
    The same people are being hit all the time and have nothing left to give. F.G. and Labour supporters coming out with crap about us not being taxed here to the same degree as other countries but neglecting to mention what those other countries receive for their taxes like good roads, proper health service free, free education etc etc. Not to mention the complete rip-off that is VRT.

Do they think the people are going to swallow all their rubbish. Stand up and fight for a change people.

you wouldnt consider half the population ignoring the government (despite allthe threats) a mass protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Well if the campaign won't pay it then neither will I.:D

"IF" and "MAY"

You have no clue about what a judge WILL do though,so stop spouting on about it,like you are a judge.

You dont know yourself so give it a rest.

bgrizzley wrote: »
    you wouldnt consider half the population ignoring the government (despite allthe threats) a mass protest?

The world is different place when you have your Fine Gael glasses on.:rolleyes:

One thing the current household tax isn,t based on is someones ability and means to pay,I expect next years property tax to be the same, lets same for example a single parent who can,t afford to pay is brought to court, then ordered by a judge to pay, but can,t afford to pay what then? jail? take from source?

• Advertisement

Am Chile wrote: »
    One thing the current household tax isn,t based on is someones ability and means to pay,I expect next years property tax to be the same, lets same for example a single parent who can,t afford to pay is brought to court, then ordered by a judge to pay, but can,t afford to pay what then? jail? take from source?

At least the court will have the decency to take ability to pay into account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement