Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

oh ffs IRFU.

Wanneburg out Williams in

Neither will ever play for Ireland.

Genius these new NIQ rules are. Simply genius

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

totally underwhelming signing for last NIQ spot, deeper squad than last year though, hope henderson is ready to make step up for some rabo games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

sixy wrote: »
    totally underwhelming signing for last NIQ spot, deeper squad than last year though, hope henderson is ready to make step up for some rabo games

i wouldnt be surprised if henderson is challanging for a lions 5.5 spot in 10 months time.

Serious player there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Williams is a very risky signing. The talent is clear to see, but I don't think he has the dedication. If Ulster can get him to lay off the pies and pints, they could end up getting a ball-carrying beast. I wouldn't be happy with his signing if I was an Ulster fan though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

What are the odds that Williams turns out to be a great player for Ulster? Get him fit and playing in a high tempo side that like to move the ball, carrying the ball in space and we could see the best of him. I've no doubt about his talent but his application and the way in which he was used wasn't the most beneficial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Williams is a very risky signing. The talent is clear to see, but I don't think he has the dedication. If Ulster can get him to lay off the pies and pints, they could end up getting a ball-carrying beast. I wouldn't be happy with his signing if I was an Ulster fan though.

Me neither tbh. Maybe Afoa is lonely and they needed a cut-price Kiwi to keep him company. Can't see him getting into the first team ahead of Ferris, Henry or Wilson whatever happens.

Me neither tbh. Maybe Afoa is lonely and they needed a cut-price Kiwi to keep him company. Can't see him getting into the first team ahead of Ferris, Henry or Wilson whatever happens.

Won't be too many occasions when all three of them are available through injuries and call ups. Williams only ever had 12 starts for Munster in two years. Between injuries and lack of game time, he was never able to get properly fit. Munster were tripping over themselves for back row players during his time there with Quinlan, Wallace, Coughlan and all competing with him for his role. I can see him getting 15-20 starts at least this season if fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

williams had serious disciplinary problems at munster. getting arrested out on the piss, missing sessions, poor diet and conditioning to name a few.

poor signing

anscombe must remember him from new zealand but hes washed up at this stage. a beached whale

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sixy

GerM wrote: »
    Won't be too many occasions when all three of them are available through injuries and call ups. Williams only ever had 12 starts for Munster in two years. Between injuries and lack of game time, he was never able to get properly fit. Munster were tripping over themselves for back row players during his time there with Quinlan, Wallace, Coughlan and all competing with him for his role. I can see him getting 15-20 starts at least this season if fit.

I really hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

They are forced to let Wannenburg go because he is NIE and then they are allowed to sign Williams?!

c3e.jpg

Having said that, he seemed to have a good try scoring record for Aironi, 10 tries in 29 starts. Yet I am amazed Ulster were given the green light for this given what a flop signing he was at Munster. However in his brief cameos, Williams did display some great skills, his hands in particular are excellent.

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/teams/aironi/squad.php?player=81087&includeref=dynamic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looks like it was Anscombe's call:

"Nick was a standout player during his time at Aironi and he will add a great deal to our squad," he said.

"His addition means there will be real depth right across the back row and this is vital, given that Stephen Ferris is under an IRFU player management programme.

"Mark Anscombe brought him out of club rugby in New Zealand and believes he can make a huge impact here at Ulster."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_7835493,00.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Surely Payne is plenty of company

Court, Best, Afoa, Tuohy, Muller, Ferris, Henry, Wilson;
    Pienaar, Jackson, Gilroy, Wallace, Cave, Bowe, Payne

Bench: Brady, McAllister, Fitzpatrick, Stevenson, Williams, Marshall, Spence, Trimble

9-15 is savage, assuming Payne can perform after that injury and Jackson fulfills his promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Afoa Fitzpatrick situation is the only one where I sort of agree with the irfu.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

durkadurka wrote: »
    Afoa Fitzpatrick situation is the only one where I sort of agree with the irfu.

Afoa/Deccie Fitz is a real province v country one isn't it? As an Ulster fan I want Afoa to start but then with my Irish hat on I think a full season of Pro 12 and HEC rugby would probably take Fitzpatrick to the level where he is actively challenging Ross for the TH shirt rather than just acting as decent cover. However I'm going with my Ulster hat on this one for now! Not least because Ulster have more chance of success next season than Ireland.

I suppose we could play Afoa at 6 if Ferris is injured or rested!

As for next season the key is Jackson, if he lives up to his promise then great, if he doesn't then we'll have problems. Pienaar can take some of the pressure off but he's not going to be about for the start of next season and from what I saw yesterday of SA (didn't see the whole game) he should really be starting ahead of Houggard.

The real pain in the ass is that Fitz is contracted for another 2 years having signed a 3 year deal. If he was available, Munster would be all over him in a year I would think when Botha has to depart. As it stands, Afoa is a superb player and will play every important game. He'll also be there for all the games during the autumn series and 6N so it's hard to see where Fitzpatrick is going to get decent game time unless there's an injury.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Court, Best, Afoa, Tuohy, Muller, Ferris, Henry, Wilson;
    Pienaar, Jackson, Gilroy, Wallace, Cave, Bowe, Payne

Bench: Brady, McAllister, Fitzpatrick, Stevenson, Williams, Marshall, Spence, Trimble

9-15 is savage, assuming Payne can perform after that injury and Jackson fulfills his promise.

I'd hope to see Henderson overtake Stevenson on the bench by the end of the season. But that's a pretty bloody good first XV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I'd hope to see Henderson overtake Stevenson on the bench by the end of the season. But that's a pretty bloody good first XV.

And Luke Marshall to start pushing Paddy Wallace.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭backawaygo onahead

They are forced to let Wannenburg go because he is NIE and then they are allowed to sign Williams?!

Not strictly accurate, Pedrie was not driven out simply because he was NIQ, he simply didn't want to sign a one year contract which is all that was on offer for a NIQ player over 30.

Pedrie has a wife and less than year old baby and wanted somewhere he could put down roots for a period. Our loss is Castres's gain.

And lest you missed it Pedrie didn't want to leave & was in floods of tears when he finished his last game at Ravenhill.

Not strictly accurate, Pedrie was not driven out simply because he was NIQ, he simply didn't want to sign a one year contract which is all that was on offer for a NIQ player over 30.

Pedrie has a wife and less than year old baby and wanted somewhere he could put down roots for a period. Our loss is Castres's gain.

And lest you missed it Pedrie didn't want to leave & was in floods of tears when he finished his last game at Ravenhill.

Fair enough, but it's quite unfair on Wannenburg and Ulster. Nick Williams is 28 and far more injury prone than Wannenburg!

• Advertisement

And he's sh*t...

Wouldn't say that yet, I'd more say the jury is out. I wrote off Naoupu when he came to Connacht as another journeyman, egg on face come the end of that season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Wouldn't say that yet, I'd more say the jury is out. I wrote off Naoupu when he came to Connacht as another journeyman, egg on face come the end of that season.

Felt bad after posting it so deleted. I think he's Rabo level at best but it's not his fault.

Think if Fat Nick stays fit he will get plenty of game time, Stevie Fez will be out for a lot of time with Ireland commitments and player welfare programme.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the signing but lets give the guy a chance, not a marquee signing but we have probably signed worse.

Mind you I did note that Doc Dave was pretty quick to pin the signing on Mr Anscombe's door.:)

As for Sean Doyle, who knows, D'Arcy has turned out pretty well, certainly as a squad player coming on a fairly similar route.

Same goes for Herring.

I hear rumour of a SH IQ 9 coming for 4 months, no idea of a name or even who that could be.

David McIlwaine moving from Doncaster to Bristol for next season.

Bristol:
    Kyle Traynor
    (PR, Edinburgh), Bruce Douglas (PR, Worcester), George Biagi (LK, Aironi), James Grindal (SH, Leicester), Adrian Jarvis (FH, London Irish), Bryan Rennie (CT, Exeter), David McIlwaine (FB, Doncaster)

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?25134-Transfers-2012-13

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

David McIlwaine moving from Doncaster to Bristol for next season.

Bristol:
    Kyle Traynor (PR, Edinburgh), Bruce Douglas (PR, Worcester), George Biagi (LK, Aironi), James Grindal (SH, Leicester), Adrian Jarvis (FH, London Irish), Bryan Rennie (CT, Exeter), David McIlwaine (FB, Doncaster)

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?25134-Transfers-2012-13

McIlwaine seemed to have a very good season for Doncaster, there was a video on Youtube floating around of him (presumably put up by his agent) and frankly he looked like Israel Dagg in some of the clips!

He should have much more chance of getting into the AP with Bristol than he would with Doncaster. He's a decent player who was criminally played out of position on the wing while at Ulster as a 19/20 year old when he is an ouot and out full back and a decent one at that.

Here's the video
    ...obviously edited to make him look good...but still
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfJhB4pVOWg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

bilston wrote: »
    McIlwaine seemed to have a very good season for Doncaster, there was a video on Youtube floating around of him (presumably put up by his agent) and frankly he looked like Israel Dagg in some of the clips!

He should have much more chance of getting into the AP with Bristol than he would with Doncaster. He's a decent player who was criminally played out of position on the wing while at Ulster as a 19/20 year old when he is an ouot and out full back and a decent one at that.

Here's the video
    ...obviously edited to make him look good...but still
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfJhB4pVOWg

He seems to have filled out and added a bit of pace to his game. He was out of place on the wing particularly when there were wingers available. Another of Brian's Bizarre Selection Raffles. He is a good full back. Let's hope he continues to improve and return if he does. One thing against him was his view of his own worth and his willingness to let you know.

Anyone know anything about Fenton-Wells?

Only Fenton I know chases deer. FENTON, FENTON, FENTON!!!!!:D

Why do you ask?

Ah, I see an incorrect SAFFER site saying Nick Fenton-Wells has joined Ulster whereas he has signed for Sarries as far as I can see with Mark McCall delighted to have signed him.

• Advertisement

Only Fenton I know chases deer. FENTON, FENTON, FENTON!!!!!:D

Why do you ask?

Stormers flanker. Signed for Ulster according to SA media. It said he signed earlier this month but I didn't see it anywhere.

http://www.sportlive.co.za/rugby/europeanclubs/2012/06/27/irish-poach-sa-rugby-talent

"And earlier this month Stormers flank Nick Fenton-Wells confirmed a move to Ulster."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement