Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yamakasi Catleap monitor club.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,860 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Can someone link me to what wall bracket is used with this tv?

Thinking of getting one but I want to see what the full price will be

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

Headshot wrote: »
    Can someone link me to what wall bracket is used with this tv?

Thinking of getting one but I want to see what the full price will be

It's not a TV, just a monitor.
    I don't believe it can be put on a VESA bracket, because of the way the back looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

You can remove the back plastic on the catleap to mount with vesa or just buy one of the other models that have no plastic on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

For anyone wondering how big 27 inches is.... it's actually really big.

Like imagine your desk with something big on it. Now think bigger than that!

I was getting a catleap but chickened out at the thought of it going bang in 6 months and not being able to replace it, so I got a Dell 27inch. I would imagine the catleap is the same panel as this.

Anyone who has gone ahead and got the catleap or a different 27inch ips, how far back should I be sitting from this? I'm feeling overwhelmed by the size of it, my desk can barely take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

For anyone wondering how big 27 inches is.... it's actually really big.

Like imagine your desk with something big on it. Now think bigger than that!

I was getting a catleap but chickened out at the thought of it going bang in 6 months and not being able to replace it, so I got a Dell 27inch. I would imagine the catleap is the same panel as this.

Anyone who has gone ahead and got the catleap or a different 27inch ips, how far back should I be sitting from this? I'm feeling overwhelmed by the size of it, my desk can barely take it!

Whats it like for gaming? do you find that your moving your head left to right alot to see whats going on from one edge of the monitor to the other? is it a struggle for the auld eyeballs?

I am seriously thinking of going 27" but if its going to become hardship for long gaming sessions on the body I may think twice..

• Advertisement

dwighet wrote: »
    Whats it like for gaming? do you find that your moving your head left to right alot to see whats going on from one edge of the monitor to the other? is it a struggle for the auld eyeballs?

I am seriously thinking of going 27" but if its going to become hardship for long gaming sessions on the body I may think twice..

I haven't tried gaming yet actually! I'm waiting to go into the bank to send money to hardwareversand for my new build but at the moment I've got a little 9800gt and an amd 9950 @2.4ghz so at the best of times with 1680x1050 res I wasn't getting great framerates. I can tell you though that it does take a lot of getting used to the extra space! I found myself with all my windows sized down to almost what they were on the 22" screen.

For this screen anyways it's very bright and I'm almost used to it now but it's a bit sore on my eyes. It's my first IPS though and I'm used to a very dark monitor.

For gaming while at 22" I always found myself having to actually look around to see all the corners of the screen so it's going to be much the same if not worse now! I sit an arms length from the screen and I have the centre of the monitor relatively directly in front of the centre of my vision.

I'm going to start up counterstrike source and see what it's like (It's all I have but probably all I'll be able to run anyways, that is if it even runs).

Update on that:

a single 9800 gt and a 9550 at 2.4ghz absolutely destroys source. Constant 150+ fps at 2560x1440p with full AA AF high w/o motion blur.

I found playing at 1920x1200 in the 1:1 ratio mode to be great (option is on this monitor so maybe those too) basically you get a space of 1920x1200 in the middle of the screen surrounded by black but it fits this into about 22" of screen so it's really crisp and it's the perfect size to game on because you don't have to actually turn your head to see.

On full res I did find myself actually looking around to see things on the corners but when focusing on the centre i could still notice if something came into my peripheral view. Great for gaming. No ghosting, great colours, great pixel density. Only thing missing would be 120hz but the catleap is soon to have that sorted for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

I sent away for my membership card.
    Bought one with tempered glass just because it was only 5 euro more, from green-sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭wobbles-grogan

<snip> so I got a Dell 27inch. I would <snip>!

I have the dell 27inch aswell. U2711? its amazing isnt it?
    I have a 2GB Radeon 6950 and it runs any games i play perfectly (Battlefield 3, Civ 5, Minecraft:p etc) But even for general use, having so much real estate is a must.

If you havent a 27" monitor, go and buy one!

With these panels so cheap though, i could buy another and see what it looks like on eyefinity? Worth it?

I have the dell 27inch aswell. U2711? its amazing isnt it?
    I have a 2GB Radeon 6950 and it runs any games i play perfectly (Battlefield 3, Civ 5, Minecraft:p etc) But even for general use, having so much real estate is a must.

If you havent a 27" monitor, go and buy one!

With these panels so cheap though, i could buy another and see what it looks like on eyefinity? Worth it?

u2711 that's the one, got it very very recently. I love it. I've ordered a 580 to use with the Adobe suite and some games so hopefully that's just as good. It's only a 1.5gb mind, but I'm sure that will be plenty. It feels so strange being able to read a whole thread without scrolling! (Well - almost no scrolling! :P)

It would be great to get a catleap on each side of your dell, might be a bit of a pain getting the colours to match as I don't really know how the colour profiles work on these other 27inch ones, but if you got it going it would be crazy! This one is nearly too much, before I was constantly using a second screen to put things but now I'm leaving lots of space!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

dwighet wrote: »

Im using a 32" screen the last 18 months and ill never go back to anything too much smaller.

Also if it's too big for gaming, change res ingame to 1920x1200 and get 16:10 goodness with a super nice pixel density! (View at 1:1 instead of stretching)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Also if it's too big for gaming, change res ingame to 1920x1200 and get 16:10 goodness with a super nice pixel density! (View at 1:1 instead of stretching)

Can this be done on the catleaps? Or would you have to play in a window to allow this?

tuxy wrote: »
    Can this be done on the catleaps? Or would you have to play in a window to allow this?

I can't give you an answer for that unfortunately but someone else will! I have read that some of the monitors don't scale the image. So you are forced to have this 1:1 feature. and yes it is a feature not a drawback. Under no circumstances would you want to stretch a low res image over 27 inches because you will feel ill with the difference!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

someone mentioned earlier you can get a dell u2711 for 550 these days. cheapest I've seen is 615 or so on komplett. am I just a month or two too late and the price has gone up or have I not looked in the right places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

someone mentioned earlier you can get a dell u2711 for 550 these days. cheapest I've seen is 615 or so on komplett. am I just a month or two too late and the price has gone up or have I not looked in the right places

The cheapest I've seen it was on Amazon.de for for just over €500, It's €585 at the moment which ain't a bad price either.

thanks. 30 quid cheaper is nothing to sneeze at I guess. with the price of ram these days I could almost afford another 6 gigs if I go for that one :)

still haven't decided between the dell and the crossover. the cheaper crossover is bloody tempting but the relative safety of buying a dell that'll be easier/cheaper to get repaired is a bloody important factor. the usb/extra ports on the dell matter a little bit too

to think i came in here a few days ago to look for reccomendations for a cheap gfx card and a good cheap 24 inch :/

damn you tea_bag

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭trackerman

I'm considering one of these 27" suckers... they seem great value.

Whats the story on overclocking them to 100Hz or more?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

trackerman wrote: »
    I'm considering one of these 27" suckers... they seem great value.

Whats the story on overclocking them to 100Hz or more?

Cheers

See http://120hz.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gainder

Brian wrote: »
    Whew, got it to work. A combination of switching ports and using Windows monitor settings instead of catalyst.

Looks amazing.

Hello Brian,
    I have the same issue with my catleap, I tried to connect it to my 6870 but the led on the monitor is still fashing green.
    I have never seen one single image on my monitor :(
    Could you please explain me in more detail your solution?

Thank you very very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I got one on ebay shipped from Poland with 30 month warranty last week. Only cost €470

TomCo wrote: »
    I got one on ebay shipped from Poland with 30 month warranty last week. Only cost €470

damn, that's a nice price

ill keep periodically checking ebay so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Gainder wrote: »
    Hello Brian,
    I have the same issue with my catleap, I tried to connect it to my 6870 but the led on the monitor is still fashing green.
    I have never seen one single image on my monitor :(
    Could you please explain me in more detail your solution?

Thank you very very much!

My GPU has two DVI ports, I changed to the other one :P

is it just the dell that has that 1:1 lower res feature? where it plays 1920x1080 or whatever with black borders around the screen or does the crossover have this feature as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

is it just the dell that has that 1:1 lower res feature? where it plays 1920x1080 or whatever with black borders around the screen or does the crossover have this feature as well
    is this thing game dependent or somehow a button built onto the u2711?

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    is this thing game dependent or somehow a button built onto the u2711?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15077165/1ratio.JPG

sorry I can't resize at the moment, but that's the option I was talking about

yeah what he said teabag :) i dont actually know i just remember him saying dell had the feature

id only really want it for starcraft 2.. that'd be ****ing torture to pay on a 27 inch screen so lowering the res to 1920x1080 and only having to focus on the middle parts of the monitor would work out pretty well

every other game you can bet your ass it's getting stretched to **** all over that screen

yea that's not going to happen on a catleap. we have no access to the monitor menu.

yeah i havent seen mention of it in my googling just thought it'd be best to ask people here who have it

well I have a 19" I can use for starcraft I guess and I could use the 200 i'd save by not buying the dell to put towards a decent desk :)

--edit

actually, another question

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2922/2
    "The final potential drawback with the U2711 that we want to discuss is lag. There are actually two types of lag we noticed during testing, and neither one is likely to be a deal breaker if what you're after is high quality image. Processing lag (a.k.a. "input lag") is definitely present, and it appears to be due in part to the digital scaler. Like the Dell 3008WFP, the U2711 supports a bunch of input options, many of which can't handle the native resolution. That means it needs a hardware scaler to work with lower resolution VGA and analog inputs. The result is slightly more processing lag than what we've measured on 30" IPS displays that don't have a hardware scaler.

does this mean the dell would have more input lag than say a catleap or a crossover? because they don't have that scaling feature? I think that's what's implied in the text but a lot of this stuff is greek to me

• Advertisement

absolutely. a catleap has the best possible combination for low input lag, only a single connector and no scaler.

the catleap has a >6ms response time. going by reviews. not bad but not amazing. I don't notice the lag difference between it and my older 2ms 24" 1080p panel, and I'm pretty competitive in fps games.

the u2711 is a funny one. komplett says it has a 6ms lag, yet Toms hardware says 23ms GtG and a total of a whopping 98ms input lag.

www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ultrasharp-u2711-ds-277w-multisync-pa271w,2968-14.html

Advertisement