Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Good point, I watched a chunk out of an early episode of 24 and hated it but shortly afterwards watched a full episode and became hooked. That said, Hot Fuzz is still a pile of parrot droppings - surely somebody else agrees with me?
    Bassboxxx wrote: »
    I agree with anger and venom!!!:mad:

I've turned off probably half a dozen films in all my years because of their sh1tness...and this pile of crap was one of them.

At one stage I thought I was watching a doc!!!!!:eek:

Ah JD you didn't have to create an alt account just to agree with yourself...........2 years before you actually joined :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭UserName 217

Would't waste any more time watching Hot Fuzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Yea I thought it was a steaming pile of horse s h i t as well.amazing how many people dislike it even though it did well.we must be all wrong I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I quite liked it turn brain off press play simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

At one stage I thought I was watching a doc!!!!!:eek:
    Was it the scene where the priest shouted "oh piss off grasshopper!" and pulled out dual pistols that made you think that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭UserName 217

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Yea I thought it was a steaming pile of horse s h i t as well.amazing how many people dislike it even though it did well.we must be all wrong I guess.

Yeah however that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

i liked magnum force

the beast who poured the draino down the
    girls neck wuz a bad boy.

:mad:

i thought the movie was ace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Hootanany wrote: »
    I quite liked it turn brain off press play simples.

Oh c'mon, the "fingerrred" line is worth the admission price alone...

"... we know she has penchant for older men.."
    "fingerrred..."

:D :pac: :D :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Watched Stake Land last night on Sky movies Premiere last night pretty good low budget vampire movie worth a watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

Seen The Mission tonight. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1095607-mission/

Wasn't bad, very simple story and short enough. some very annoying music in large parts. I didn't think it was as good as Exiled, the follow up film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Seen The Mission tonight. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1095607-mission/

Wasn't bad, very simple story and short enough. some very annoying music in large parts. I didn't think it was as good as Exiled, the follow up film.

Phew! For a second there I genuinely thought you were referring to Roland Joffe's The Mission and that Morricone music was very annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Got dragged to see What to Expect When Your Expecting tonight, thought it was poor, spent kept drifting off to play with my phone during it and now, a few hours later I dont remember anything about it really.

It had a couple of decent moments, but overall I found it to be ridiculously boring, the women in the audience seemed to really like it though. As did my girlfriend, so maybe its good if you like that sort of thing? I just thought it was pointless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

North and South

It's a period drama, I'm a sucker for them
    Love the soundtrack too

BBC are great at these

Up on youtube, 4 x 1hour episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

mikemac1 wrote: »
    North and South

It's a period drama, I'm a sucker for them
    Love the soundtrack too

BBC are great at these

Up on youtube, 4 x 1hour episodes

Amazing drama, I have it on DVD got it for €7 on Play. The music in it is great. I have to say the BBC know how to do period drama better than anyone else. (Downton Abbey being the exception)

Have you seen the BBC version of Persuasion and Jane Eyre? brilliant

Watched Pride and Prejudice again with my friend last night. she had never seen it. Oh Mr Darcy! (the Colin Firth one :))

Deliverance

Been hearing about this film for years now, it's famous
    Well at least certain scenes are

Didn't like it much at all
    Maybe my expectations were too high and I was expecting a classic

Thumbs down

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Basq wrote: »
    ... Lex's moment in the spotlight as a "hacker" is just bizarre.. she hovers over a 2D drawing of the compound and clicks the mouse a few times! :rolleyes:
    It was 3D and real! :p
    http://www.siliconbunny.com/fsn-the-irix-3d-file-system-tool-from-jurassic-park/

River Wild

Kevin Bacon and David Strathairn, two of my favourite actors

Thought it was very good
    Great action and they captured how difficult it was to make it down the river

Thumps up

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

These Amazing Shadows- excellent documentary about the preservation of films for the National Film Registry, spurred by Ted Turner's colorization of black and white classic movies in the 80's, filmmakers and actors went to the US congress to plead to preserve films in their original form instead of bastardising them (ironically George Lucas was one of the people to protest the altering of films from their original form, practice what ya preach George!) Interesting seeing how film is preserved, cleaned and stuff found that was long thought lost or disintegrated, really worth a watch its on the US netflix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Death at a funeral - the remake. Better than expected though Cuba Gooding should have been in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Inside'

Part of the "New French Extremity" series, 'Inside' is an incredibly grusome and violent effort by directors Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo, dealing with a young woman (Alysson Paradis) as she attempts to escape the attentions of a stalker, after a trumatic car accident.

While the basic plot of 'Inside' may appear somewhat hokey at first sight, the creators approach their subject with such gusto that the apparent limitation of the premise is nulled.

The visuals are so full on and there are no holds barred, that it would be hard to recommend 'Inside' to hasn't viewed such harsh material before. However, for those with the stomach, it's an excellent slice of gory cinema that contains more than a few genuine shocks in its running time.

'Martyrs'

Another French "Extremity" horror film (actually French/Canadian) that abandons any kind of restraint and goes all out for its shocking results. Without giving too much away, 'Martyrs' deals with two girls, Anna and Lucie. Lucie has escaped captivity as a child from apparently motiveless abductors and has been placed into care, where she is befriended by Anna. The film then flashes forward to a point where the two girls are older and we see that Lucie is haunted by horrific visions, brought on by her incarceration and is fuelled by the desire for revenge on her childhood captors.

So gut-wrenching and harrowing are the visuals presented, that the film received some trouble in France upon its release. it's understandable to a degree, because the film is very difficult and very grim.

It's hard to write about 'Martyrs', because going into too much detail destroys the film. It's really best to go into it with as little information as possible. That way the viewer gets the most out of it. But, like 'Inside', 'Martyrs' is an extremely hard watch. There are moments in it that will have even the most hardened horror fanatic squirming. My only real criticism of the film is that I am not sure that the essential point of the film holds up, but I am sort of in two minds about that. It's horror cinema, after all and not meant to be scrutinised too much. Also, the punch line will either have you intrigued or infuriated...or a combination of both.

I won't leave a trailer, because it shows way too much.

'Tyrannosaur'

Scottish actor Peter Mullan stars as a unemployed man, down on his luck and prone to violent outbursts of temper. He befriends a kindly woman, who works at the local charity shop (Olivia Colman), who has issues of her own to deal with.

The debut full length feature from Paddy Considine, 'Tyrannosaur' is uncompromising in its harsh and realistic views of terribly broken people. It's brilliantly acted by all concerned, but special mention must go to Olivia Colman (who some may recognise from 'That Mitchell and Webb Look'). Colman is an absolute gem here, proving that, as well as being able to handle comedy, she can also do straight drama as well. And great drama it is too, shot in that excellent British tradition of uncompromising "working-class" seriousness. Considine is obviously a student of Ken Loach and Mike Leigh as there is a lot of their influence to be seen in 'Tyrannosaur'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Boy Wonder on netflix. It started off decent enough, a teenager becomes a renegade to avenge his mothers killing in a carjacking that he witnessed as a boy. A female detective then comes into it and the film suffers. I turned it off halfway through because it became really stupid and amateurish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Aliens.

Everything a sci-fi/horror film should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

The Grey

Liam Nesson & a bunch of wolves, very very boring & depressing. Watse of 2 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tayleur

I really liked the Grey. Different strokes I guess:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

Tayleur wrote: »
    I really liked the Grey. Different strokes I guess:)

No, I am right you are wrong. End of discussion!!

Yeah, funny how someone can love a movie & someone else hate it. Watching The Kingdom with herself the other night, I am loving it, she makes me turn it off with 30mins to go she hates it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,546 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tony EH wrote: »
    The debut full length feature from Paddy Considine, 'Tyrannosaur' is uncompromising in its harsh and realistic views of terribly broken people. It's brilliantly acted by all concerned, but special mention must go to Olivia Colman (who some may recognise from 'That Mitchell and Webb Look'). Colman is an absolute gem here, proving that, as well as being able to handle comedy, she can also do straight drama as well. And great drama it is too, shot in that excellent British tradition of uncompromising "working-class" seriousness. Considine is obviously a student of Ken Loach and Mike Leigh as there is a lot of their influence to be seen in 'Tyrannosaur'.

Last night, after that 3-1 defeat, I put on Tyrannosaur (glutton for punishment I suppose :P) and thought it was excellent. I love Mike Leigh's films, Naked, Abigail's Party, Happy go Lucky and Nuts in May being favourites, as well as the work of Shane Meadows and now Considine looks as if he's turning into a serious film maker in the same mold. It's great to see and Tyrannosaur, I thought, had the hallmarks of the aforementioned people's best films because in amongst the grit and the bleakness was a lot of humanity, warmth and humour. I had prepared myself for a Nil by Mouth clone but actually was treated to a very well balanced, tough slice of life.

8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

LCD wrote: »
    The Grey

Liam Nesson & a bunch of wolves, very very boring & depressing. Watse of 2 hours!

I loved The Grey, people were expecting a silly Neeson vs wolves action film and got something else entirely, thats what I thought it was going to be and was surprised it was something much deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I thought 'The Grey' was a pretty good film too, so much different than the usual Liam Neeson fare, which is awful by and largem despite his good screen presence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The Grey was good and reminded me of The Edge which is another survival film I really like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement