Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I'm gonna do mine on someone having to turn off their loved one's life support machine, the first half is gonna be all memories and the 2nd half is facing the dilemma.

So I'm gonna make some contrasts.

Not original but it's tragic :p

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Hayezer wrote: »
    Me being a doctor, off duty, someone collapses or something, persons probably gonna die, moral dilemma to do make shift procedure with make shift tools and risk getting blamed if person dies/getting sued/losing job, pull it off, happy ever after?

I cant think of a story :(:(

Hahaha stop I tried come up with one there it's hard. :P

But as someone once said on this forum (think it's obvious who :L) do out a simple plot, and capture it perfectly. It's more how you say it, than what you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Martin_94 wrote: »
    Does there have to be a change.

Not sure but my teacher told me the character has to have some kind of a change or learn something and there needs to be obstacles leading up to the climax or just one climax in which the change happens from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

leaveiton wrote: »
    The joys of just not doing the short story at all :P

I ate your puppy.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

reznov wrote: »
    I ate your puppy.

:cool:

Unusual plot, but it could work!

• Advertisement

Unusual plot, but it could work!

Who reckons all exam papers this year will become like project Maths Paper two? :pac:
    SEC: SURPRISE!

Who reckons all exam papers this year will become like project Maths Paper two? :pac:
    SEC: SURPRISE!

"Write a short story in which a character is lost at sea with only a clinometer for help"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

The one plot I have in mind, doesn't really have a climax, it's more about how someone is coping with the death of someone and there's lots of flashbacks and memories and then there's a twist at the end. Would that be ok, or will I have to incorporate some sort of change and climax into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

My story is about a guy contemplating suicide. I can fit any number of reasons into why :P

I'll probably end up making something else up on the day though.
    I might just copy my Mock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

"Write a short story in which a character is lost at sea with only a clinometer for help"

MacGyver could do it!

I gasped - the torrent of waves oscillated me as though I was drift wood. Beyond the horizon I could see neither a ship nor land. Prayers surged to my mind regaining a long lost faith in religion and its belief in an omnipotent being. My eyes scanned the vast expanse of water in anguish, when to my surprise a clinometer bobbed not more than ten feet away. At that point I knew Divine Providence existed. I shouldn't have prayed to God, but instead the SEC who taught me to utilise the apparatus. In the mock I obtained an A1 in project Maths, excelling in trigonometry and use of measuring appurtenances. Traversing with pace across the ocean, I grasped the clinometer and began frantically measuring the angle of the horizon to ensure I was sane. Unfortunately it was 180 degrees - I was not in a nightmare. I was fūcked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

I heard on the radio they are going to make the essay choices much more specific/different so people can't just spiel off learnt stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Whoever was asking about quotes - you don't need them for the comparative, one or two is nice though. And for Hamlet you don't need loads, four or five would probably do, they're not going to dock marks for it! :) Just use a few short ones like "antic disposition" or say stuff like Gertrude's "noble son" is "mad". ;)

I gasped - the torrent of waves oscillated me as though I was drift wood. Beyond the horizon I could see neither a ship nor land. Prayers surged to my mind regaining a long lost faith in religion and its belief in an omnipotent being. My eyes scanned the vast expanse of water in anguish, when to my surprise a clinometer bobbed not more than ten feet away. At that point I knew Divine Providence existed. I shouldn't have prayed to God, but instead the SEC who taught me to utilise the apparatus. In the mock I obtained an A1 in project Maths, excelling in trigonometry and use of measuring appurtenances. Traversing with pace across the ocean, I grasped the clinometer and began frantically measuring the angle of the horizon to ensure I was sane. Unfortunately it was 180 degrees - I was not in a nightmare. I was fūcked.

A2, marks docked for inappropriate language.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

In a pickle?

do you need a quote from a critic for poetry/hamlet

A2, marks docked for inappropriate language.

We'll see if my trusty clinometer can fix that.

Project maths has taught me that clinometers are the solution to all life's problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

We'll see if my trusty clinometer can fix that.

I added a tag for you reznov. I think you'll approve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

Would it be wise to use aryan language in your essay? Or would it just seem try-hard and confuddle the examiner?

I added a tag for you reznov. I think you'll approve.

What does the tag say? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

What does the tag say? :(

I'm assuming it's "625 or gtfo". :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

The funny thing is there are at least a few people on this forum who are going to get all A1s. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Would it be wise to use aryan language in your essay? Or would it just seem try-hard and confuddle the examiner?

Do as you like, I'm writing in Wingdings.

Togepi wrote: »
    I'm assuming it's "625 or gtfo". :D

I think that's been there before! Have seen it in previous refreshes anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Is it just me or is anyone else actually interested in Sylvia's Plath poetry.

I love it! I really hope she comes up

Fergus_ wrote: »

The only one I like.

Fergus_ wrote: »

Yep! I'm not just hoping she comes up because she's likely, I'm hoping she's up because I love her poetry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

I know it's nice of people so I shouldn't really complain, but all the good luck cards, phone calls and people calling to the door to say good luck is really unnerving me :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement