Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

The only thing that's consoling me is that the only way I can go in English Paper 1 is up from the mock (I got 67 in Paper 1). I failed my comprehensions in the mock (because of stupid reasons) but I'm confident I'll do well in them now, only thing I have to overcome is the time limit. In QB I only wrote a page in the mock and got 34, so my grade in that should improve too.
    But as for the essay D: I always run out of time and up writing a story about 3/4 bloody pages long! And I've only one plot prepared which isn't very fittable!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

I'm listening to that now :). Ah crap and there talking about how there trying to avoid people using prepared stories.

What are they saying?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

What's the average amount of pages needed for the short story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Tell him- No.

As in I'll gwt fired if I don't go in. Ughhhh like he couldn't even have waited until Friday...gonna a shit summer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Hayezer wrote: »
    What are they saying?!?

They said that they don't bring up images now they give you a setting and a character to avoid people using prepared stories.
    Fergus_ wrote: »
    What's the average amount of pages needed for the short story?

They said for the composition 800 - 1000 words so 4 pages + I have no idea how long mine is on paper.

Live link http://2fm.rte.ie/show/113

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Short story better not be awkward :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Anyone else listening to Countdown to 606 now? :D
    lol. If you watch the live feed you can just see the assistant bringing in water and that! :L I think it's quite funny- Yeah my life is that boring and benile. I'm going to have a fun retirement. :(

Just had a major fist-pumpin' session to Titanium!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

They said that they don't bring up images now they give you a setting and a character to avoid people using prepared stories.

They said for the composition 800 - 1000 words so 4 pages + I have no idea how long mine is on paper.

800 words is like 2 and a half pages for me... Probably more on the double margined paper though!

As in its gonna be completely different to what they normally do?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

They're saying don't start anything new from now on?!

LOL. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Hey lads, do you reckon not having any quotes in your comparative and only a few in Hamlet would bring my grade down a lot? I'm terrible when it comes to quotes. :(

As in its gonna be completely different to what they normally do?

Just that like they're trying to make the short stories ones that you can't prepare for.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Challenge accepted. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

How do these guys know it's going to be different, it's not as if they've seen the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Why on earth would it change in 2012? And if it does change, why would the SEC want to hinder individuals' progress? Not everyone can write an interesting plot within the space of 5 minutes. Certainly do not remember any professional authors preparing a suitable plot line in that amount of time.

Here lads at this stage I'm really thinking of doing it from the point of view of an animal, no matter what the title :pac:

reznov wrote: »
    Why on earth would it change in 2012? And if it does change, why would the SEC want to hinder individuals' progress? Not everyone can write an interesting plot within the space of 5 minutes. Certainly do not remember any professional authors preparing a suitable plot line in that amount of time.

I actually don't have any plot in mind. I think you'd have to be really lucky to get a title to match it, and if you try and get your story to fit one it may just sound laboured.

I think I'll look at the title first so I can begin thinking of plots as I'm doing the other questions rather then waiting until I'm about to start writing it. Would 2 pages or 1 page and a half be fine for the question B? or do you need 3 pages?

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I actually don't have any plot in mind. I think you'd have to be really lucky to get a title to match it, and if you try and get your story to fit one it may just sound laboured.

Not at all. I prepared a plot which easily fit any title in the past ten years except the fairy tale of 2011. It's not difficult to tweak a story to make it relevant. Just have a beginning and an ending, the middle is modifiable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

You're all making me nervous :P so that's it I'm getting off this and gonna study and watch desperate housewives with toast then bed :P
    Good luck guys .... may the odds be ever in our favour :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Not at all. I prepared a plot which easily fit any title in the past ten years except the fairy tale of 2011. It's not difficult to tweak a story to make it relevant. Just have a beginning and an ending, the middle is modifiable.

I'm actually dying to know what that plot is :P Do tell after the exams!

I won't be too worried If I have to come up with one on the spot. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

The joys of just not doing the short story at all :P

Me being a doctor, off duty, someone collapses or something, persons probably gonna die, moral dilemma to do make shift procedure with make shift tools and risk getting blamed if person dies/getting sued/losing job, pull it off, happy ever after?

I cant think of a story :(:(

Wesc. wrote: »
    I'm actually dying to know what that plot is :P Do tell after the exams!

It's not some outstanding, engaging plot line which is the next HP. It is just a basic outline which I'm sure I could modify unless the SEC decides to revamp the whole exam structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Me being a doctor, off duty, someone collapses or something, persons probably gonna die, moral dilemma to do make shift procedure with make shift tools and risk getting blamed if person dies/getting sued/losing job, pull it off, happy ever after?

I'm in the same boat, can't think of anything. I've never been much good at that

Listening to sad music helps, I've just started listening to sad music and thought of a plot seriously. Sad Music. :cool:

I've decided I'm going to make the story related to overcoming a fear. That way it's easy to show the change in the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I've only like 2-3 essays planned out, I've nothing completely written out, just a few plot outlines and scenerios and some golden phrases to use.

Also, gonna read Hunger Games - Mockingjay as "revision" for short story

• Advertisement

I've decided I'm going to make the story related to overcoming a fear. That way it's easy to show the change in the character.

Does there have to be a change.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement