Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3:30 or bust!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

pconn062 wrote: »
    Unlucky Belcarra, everyone seems to be sick at the minute. My advice would be (and I learnt this the hard way) don't push it. Better off taking a few days off to fully recover than running when you're still not feeling right, especially when it's only a training run, still plenty of time to go yet and you're in great shape, you don't want to do any long term damage.

+1, you've done more than your fair share of hard work and you are in great shape for Cork with your sub 3.30 goal well within your reach, an LSR at this stage while you are unwell would jeopardise everything.
    Get well soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Marthastew wrote: »
    +1, you've done more than your fair share of hard work and you are in great shape for Cork with your sub 3.30 goal well within your reach, an LSR at this stage while you are unwell would jeopardise everything.
    Get well soon

+1 you have done plenty of LSR's in the last few months. I doubt there'll be any benefir from doing another while sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

agree with the rest ...dont do it anf fcuk it up..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Monday 13th through to Monday 21st - Sick / No running.
    The past week has been a disaster for training. After the Terenure 5 miler I took a rest day on Monday as I was feeling a bit tired but when it came to going to work on Tuesday I was totally wiped with some kind of virus/cold which meant I took Tues, Wed & Thurs off work. This meant I missed my last big session before Cork – a 32km LSR with the final 19km @ MP. I returned to work on Friday but had to hightail it to Cork for a stag weekend which left me reeling in a different way! When I returned to Dublin I was 110% knackered both Sunday and Monday so no running there either.

Tuesday, 22nd May - Docklands 5km
    So, it was with fresh legs from running that I togged out for the Docklands 5km last night. I still possessed a bunged up nose but thought that if that was the worst of it, then it wouldn’t be too bad. Did a 15 min warm-up with Philip but I wasn’t feeling too fresh now! I ran into The Boy Wonder during warm-up and we started the race beside each other as the rough plan was to aim for sub 20. My brief outline was start with a 3:45 or so and then maybe a couple of 3:50’s before hanging on for a sub 4:00 and finish off with a big effort for a 3:5x.
    About 5 mins after the planned start time we were released. The first 1km was pretty twisty around Grand Canal Dock area but by the 1km marker I was registering 3:41. Possibly a bit fast so I was content to slow down for the second km as per my plan. Somewhere between 1.5km and 2km I realised my shoulders and arms were very tender due to Karting we had done on Saturday – The constant vibration from the 1hr session caused achy limbs which I thought had recovered. Instead I was having issues trying to propel myself forward. I arrived at the turnaround at the O2 2km mark in a split of 4:02. Here I met Philip coming the other way up near the front so I was able to shout at him that he was in 14th place.
    After this things started to get rapidly worse for me - the third km along the North Quays was the beginning of the end. I started to be passed by lots of people now and I simply wasn’t able to up the effort at all. Km3 was 4:20. We then continued for km4 over the Sean O’Casey footbridge but it was only more of the same for me. I was thinking about just backing off altogether and jogging it out but I soon realised I was only about 8mins from the end so I kept plugging away. Last two km were done in 4:27 & 4:20. Total chip time was 20:52 – Only 19 secs slower than my pb but still a very disappointing race for me.
    The Boy Wonder passed me in the closing stages and kicked on for a 20:42 and Philip smashed his pb by over a minute to record 18:04!

Wednesday 23rd May - 8.0km Recovery Run
    Went out for a recovery run this evening but it was possibly one of my least enojyable runs ever! Legs felt heavy and footfall was like I was smacking my feet off the ground! I need to get the positive endorphins back working again!!

Month|No. of Runs|Kms Run
    January|29/31|405.7
    February|24/29|365.6
    March|22/31|310.0
    April|21/30|277.5
    May|14/24|181.9
    Total|110/145|1,575.4

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Look on the bright side, you've got the sickness out of the way now so you'll be fresh for Cork. It would be worse if you got sick next week.

• Advertisement

Look on the bright side, you've got the sickness out of the way now so you'll be fresh for Cork. It would be worse if you got sick next week.

True, that's what I was thinking last week alright...just gotta get my running mojo back now!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Sorry was bit all over the shop this morning and forgot to wish you and Philip goodluck. Give it socks
    Good tapering!

Thursday 24th May - 8.5km Easy Run
    I called into the Park on the way home from work and decided to do an easy run just to get the legs moving. They felt a bit better than wednesday but still a fair bit off yet.

Friday 25th May - 10.2km Fartlek Run
    Stayed local for this run in Santry. Quite hot out there in the afternoon sun but enjoyable nevertheless. A nice cool breeze managed to add to the weather.

Saturday 26th May - 18.3km MSR with 3km at pace
    Met up with the boards crew in the Park for this one. Plan was 6.5km @ 5:18, 6.5km @ 4:18, 6.5km @ 5:18. The first 6.5km was fine and an enjoyable run. Myself and Digger were leading the peleton when the fast kms begun and even though we upped the pace to close to the planned speed we still weren't going quite quick enough for Meno so he took over after the first 500m. I stayed with the gang until about 3km when the residual DOMS was making life tough for me so I decided to ease off and join The Boy Wonder. As things turned out the gang finished up the faster stuff at about 5km mark as they were beginning to feel the heat/pace themselves so they were taking shade under a tree as I rejoined them. We continued down to the Memorial Gardens at approx 5:30 pace before finishing up the Kyber and back at the cars after 18km in total.
    This was pretty much what I was looking for from today and I felt I was getting back closer to where I was before I got sick last week but still maybe 10-15% off yet.

Sunday 27th May - 11.4km Easy Run
    Another lovely day so I went to the Park again and did one lap of the Park in as big a loop as I could manage. I ended up on one particularly dodgy trail down around the furry Glen but in general I loved this run. The trails are bone dry after the great weather so a real joy to run in the park and managing to avoid the road for large sections.

At some stage during my MSR on Sat I managed to go over the 1,000 mile barrier at last! Very happy that I managed it so early this year but still would have preferred if I hadn't delayed it by a week due to being sick!!

January|29/31|405.7
    February|24/29|365.6
    March|22/31|310.0
    April|21/30|277.5
    May|18/28|230.3
    Total|114/149|1,623.8

well done pon 1000 .....smack down to 2000? and u have a sneaki maratrhon dis week

ultraman1 wrote: »
    well done pon 1000 .....smack down to 2000? and u have a sneaki maratrhon dis week

I may have a marathon this weekend but don't you have 3 days of non-stop running coming up sometime soon??
    I think you'll be heading for 3,000miles as I'm winding down to 2,000 myself!!

• Advertisement

Monday 28th May - Rest Day

Tuesday 29th May - 8.3km Fartlek Run
    Went to the Park after work for this. Overcast but still pretty humid. Decided to do a few quick kms amongst slower kms just to keep the body ticking over. Plan was 3 x MP kms but the first one was quite a bit faster so I stuck to that pace before sowing by 10secs for km2 and a further 6secs for km3. Happy enough anyways but the fastest km was tough enough...maybe it's just taper madness kicking in!!
    Tomorrow I will try and keep the fast kms to MP.

January|29/31|405.7
    February|24/29|365.6
    March|22/31|310.0
    April|21/30|277.5
    May|19/29|238.6
    Total|115/150|1,632.1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Sub 3:30 in Cork?

Mr Slow wrote: »

Arrah, sure why not!
    I'll have to have something to drink to afterwards!!

belcarra wrote: »
    Arrah, sure why not!

Best of Luck, I'll see you in the pub afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Arrah, sure why not!
    Nothing like a target, you sound confident;)

With the work done, you should be good for it. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Yeah, best of luck Belcarra. Hope you get the sub 3:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Knightmove

Good luck in Cork, Belcarra. Have been following your progress here with great interest over the past months primarily as our goals/times are broadly comparable. If anyone deserves to break 3.30 it is you and I am sure you will unless something untoward happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Harto45

+1 to Knightmove. Been following with interest. Best of luck at the weekend.

Harto45 wrote: »
    +1 to Knightmove. Been following with interest. Best of luck at the weekend.
    Knightmove wrote: »
    Good luck in Cork, Belcarra. Have been following your progress here with great interest over the past months primarily as our goals/times are broadly comparable. If anyone deserves to break 3.30 it is you and I am sure you will unless something untoward happens.
    alitoast wrote: »
    Yeah, best of luck Belcarra. Hope you get the sub 3:30.
    slowsteady wrote: »
    Nothing like a target, you sound confident;)

With the work done, you should be good for it. Best of luck.

Cheers for the best wishes folks!
    I'll be going all out for 3:30 alright but not as confident this week as i was a few weeks back.
    Not a heap of pressure on me anyways though as the target was 3:30 sometime this year so if i miss out in Cork there's always at least one more (Probably Dublin, maybe Longford also) chance later in the year.
    Just wish we could fast forward to 9am Monday morning now and get going!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

..........Just wish we could fast forward to 9am Monday morning now and get going!!

+10000000000000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of luck, you deserve your sub 3.30.:D

Wednesday 30th May - 5.5km Fartlek Run
    Stayed local for a few laps around Santry Demesne. I threw in a couple of fast kms in the middle (4:51 & 4:46) just to let the legs know what they are in for. MaxHR never went above 149 even on the humid evening that was in it so that's a positive.

Thursday 31st May - 8.0km Fartlek Run
    The Garmin was almost dead as I put it on before heading out the door this evening as some genius forgot to turn it off/charge it since last nights run. Then as I started off tonight I also forgot to reset it from yesterday's run which meant I now have a very jumbled dataset! I'm sure there's probably some obscure method of decoupling the two runs but I don't think I'm bothered enough to annoy Krusty with it!

Anyways, the run itself was brilliant. For the first time in about 3 weeks everything went smoothly tonight. No niggles and all biomechanics functioning smoothly. I knew from the first few steps that this was going to be a good one even though I took it handy for the first mile just to be sure. By km2 I was well settled into the groove so i decided to throw in a couple of fast kms beginning at DCU which is on a downhill. A 4:37 was followed by a 4:34 and it felt so easy all the way. I eased up after that but I now see that the pace was still pretty decent and coincidentally averaged out perfectly @ 4:58 - the theoretical MP for Monday (I'll actually have to go a few secs quicker to allow for Garmin margin of error).

Av pace of 4:58 sounds very quick for a run so close to Monday but the AvHR never went above 145 and maxed out at 150 so not a huge load on the body. And as I say it felt good while out there.

So, confidence is returning just in time!

January|29/31|405.7
    February|24/29|365.6
    March|22/31|310.0
    April|21/30|277.5
    May|20/31|252.1
    Total|116/152|1,645.5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

So, confidence is returning just in time!

the confidence was always there.... just hiding in all the taper madness:)
    Very, very best of luck you will have a super race

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

Good luck in the race.

You've been running very well all year. If you don't achieve your goal on Monday , you definitely will before too long . All your stats say so.

Looking forward to the race report .

Best of Luck Mister, see you in Cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

The very very best of luck on monday dude! The hard work is done now, so just enjoy it! Have an absolute ball :D

best of luck on monday,,,,htfu,2014s free entry is on the line:D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Best of luck on Monday. You've the work done so try and be confident. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

I'm not sure if there is any point wishing you good luck cos I'm pretty sure you will not need it. You have put some amount of work in since January and sub 3:30 should be no bother to ya. Safe journey down south :)

Advertisement