Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community - Season 4 [US] *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jeez, all very cloak and dagger isn't it. I wonder what the cast make of this news, and the other shenanigans with the show; will some of them walk, in solidarity with Harmon? Ok, Chevy Chase may not, but it wouldn't be the first time an actor departed a show after the creative staff got the heave-ho

Like others, this is disappointing news. I'll keep an open mind & try not to overreact - as let's be honest, Community wasn't always solid gold & could be pretty weak at times, so perhaps this production shake-up might smooth over the rough edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wonder what the cast make of this news, and the other shenanigans with the show; will some of them walk, in solidarity with Harmon?

I don't know if they can, are they not on contracts?

tumblr_m4978qJZOn1qam69vo1_250.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Why do I have visions of a board meeting somewhere involving phrases like "maximising valuable IP", "it's hot with the kids" and "syndication for the iPhone generation is online".

I really hope the change is because Sony thought Harmon crossed the line with the Chase thing, but I have this dark feeling that they want to make the show more mainstream and reduce the story arcs a bit.

p.s. Those were a great last three episodes. 8bit is always cool - and Goth Britta was surprisingly hot!

Bad news

So bad it's spoilered:
    Graham Linehan ‏@Glinner
    Great news! The guys who didn't bother to call me when they did the US IT Crowd are taking over Community!

I didn't realise this. If you've seen that pilot atrocity, you know it's the end.

Balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ No.. no.. no.. no.. no..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh God, this keeps getting worse and worse ...

this has to be the darkest timeline :(

I have a new avvy after delivering that terrible news :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Not cool. Not cool, cool, cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Jesus that's really not good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Not cool. Not cool, cool, cool.

Cruel. Cruel, cruel, cruel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Oh fcuk. This just keeps getting worse and worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

F*ck off Richard.

I could smell you coming around to gloat. Why don't you stick to threads you're interested in? God knows you watch enough sh*te. There's a few folk pissed off in here and I can guarantee you don't help them one bit.

Stop acting like a dick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

tenner bets they add a laughtrack and Shirley becomes a 'strong, independent black woman' stereotype.

Maybe this was all Harmon's plan as "This is the darkest timeline". He couldn't do it himself as it wouldn't stay "true" to his creation, so we're going to have 12 rubbish episodes, followed by the one true timeline when Harmon comes back.

Troy and Britta, Jeff and Annie hook up. Abed moves in with Pierce where "hilarity" ensues. The dean will be either toned down, faded out, or (wait for it!) be expelled as the dean as his qualifications are all fake, so he joins the study group in Greendale with ensuing hilarity as he tries to get his qualifications, and becomes a core character as that what the demo would want.

And I expect to hear much more "sassy" from Shirley. Because that's hilarity ensuing

Oh sweet jebus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I can't read spoilers on my phone! What does it say?? Imagining the worst by the responses....

Basically Graham Lineham said that the people who were in charge of the US IT Crowd (which I haven't watched but will try to track down now to prepare myself) are now the show runners of Community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

DON'T WATCH IT

It's not worth it. Believe me.

How can you take a script and pretty much word for word and shoot it shot for shot and it becomes atrocious?!

• Advertisement

What was Richard Ayoade doing on the US version? And to think, if this had succeeded, Community might have been without Joel McHale.

You can't even blame a poor cast because they brought Richard Ayoade over and we all know that Joel is great.

So what went wrong?

They more or less had it shot-for-shot, the script was pretty much the exact same, the actors were great (though McHale is far too attractive to pull off the whole nerdy IT guy) ... so ...

how?

Poor production staff?

tumblr_lt1he5J1wL1qgq3xn.gif

Actually I found this great post from Graham Lineham back then about how to make the US IT Crowd work.

But everything I've seen/read of the their version really doesn't give me hope for Community Season 4. As far as I'm concerned, it seems, Community finished with #sixseasonsandamovie.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Basically Graham Lineham said that the people who were in charge of the US IT Crowd (which I haven't watched but will try to track down now to prepare myself) are now the show runners of Community.
    In fairness they do Happy Endings and that show is quite good IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

True, wasn't aware it was the same people.

Recommend everyone should watch a few episodes of 'Happy Endings' before jumping to conclusions here.

'Happy Endings' does the best pop culture references of any show in the last few years - even trumping Community in that respect.

And while Happy Endings doesn't do bad with ratings.. it's far from safe in renewal terms and doesn't appeal to a mainstream audience either. These were probably the best replacements we could have hoped for.

Will they be working on both shows at the same time then?

Edit: Seems that they aren't actually showrunners on Happy Endings. They were 'consulting producers', which means they did nothing.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0345288/
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0691886/

Their main works seems to be 'Aliens in America' and 'Just Shoot Me'.

So yeah, this doesn't look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Thanks for the PM with the spoiler Pappa Dolla!

I really like Happy Endings, but still not holding out much hope for season 4. It just won't be the same. And going by the US IT Crowd... :/

I wish they'd have just cancelled it last week. It would have been easier to take.

• Advertisement

Interesting comparison between the two.

Advertisement