Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭niallofthenine

Whats the story with these, just bought 2, one month olds, stong enough, and big calves for their age, 200 notes each, equivalent in CHX was 420, how hard are these to bulk up in comparison to other breeds?

whats the best way in rearing them, Currently eating hay, calf crunch and bucket fed 5l of Maverick per day!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Smashing stock juniorhurler, thanks for posting.

You're officially no longer a 'hurler on the ditch'! :D

There's seems to be good grass in some part of the country this year?! :rolleyes: You too Bizzum... nice green pick in it, I'm jealous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

pakalasa wrote: »
    I was over around north London last week, in the Stansted airport area. I was amazed at the amount of rape that was sown there. At least 25% of the area, I'd say. A mass of yellow.

Huge amount of rape in Our area as well this year

Good break crop and there seems to be decent money in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

pakalasa wrote: »
    I was over around north London last week, in the Stansted airport area. I was amazed at the amount of rape that was sown there. At least 25% of the area, I'd say. A mass of yellow.
    Is it for feeding of fuel or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭stanflt

enjoying the tea-before picking up another 40acres before the rain this evening010zh.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    005lk.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us014eee.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us015sym.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Cheers Bizzum, She will defo see the bull. I am only showing the better ones for now so you all think I am a good farmer, until I put up a few photos of the ones hidden out the back;).
    smashing looking bit of ground there junior

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

great stock junior and grass.you have a plan in place which is great to see,cant understand lads that know that they have too much grass and then bale and wrap it and then give it away:D,thai straws where did you get them:D:D,you sound like you have seen a show or 4:D.will we see them fat asses out in carnew at some stage:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

There's a good future in rape oil. As a cooking oil it has far more nutritional and health benifets than olive oil and it can be domestically produced. Some of the fancy TV chefs have started using it too which should promote it.
    I presume it can go into bio fuels too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Don't know, was wondering the same myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Muckit wrote: »
    Smashing stock juniorhurler, thanks for posting.

You're officially no longer a 'hurler on the ditch'! :D

There's seems to be good grass in some part of the country this year?! :rolleyes: You too Bizzum... nice green pick in it, I'm jealous!

Cheers Muckit. Its only good cos the ground was still a bit soft and they weren't let to it til a fortnight ago. It was very near too forward for grazing. Another week and it probably would have been shot out.

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    great stock junior and grass.you have a plan in place which is great to see,cant understand lads that know that they have too much grass and then bale and wrap it and then give it away:D,thai straws where did you get them:D:D,you sound like you have seen a show or 4:D.will we see them fat asses out in carnew at some stage:mad:

I'm only going on hearsay on the Thai shows there Leg wax (the wife might read this;)). They'll be there for some of the evening Weanling sales in October I hope. I must bring the camera about the home place and take a few photos of the bulls too. Its eaier than I thought this technology craic.

That crop will go into Steacys of Moneycross. They had been sending all of theirs for fuel but are upgrading their plant to produce food grade now I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tonytoc11

Whats the story with these, just bought 2, one month olds, stong enough, and big calves for their age, 200 notes each, equivalent in CHX was 420, how hard are these to bulk up in comparison to other breeds?

whats the best way in rearing them, Currently eating hay, calf crunch and bucket fed 5l of Maverick per day!

Thanks

There have been alot of articles in the journal recently about the dairy bull to beef system. It was in it 2 weeks ago afaik. If thats the route you are goung down with them.

Thanks

An Uncle says they are machines to turn meal into scutter and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

This is what happens when you run out of spray, it was all cut about 6 weeks ago!!

photo-108.jpg

There was six bullocks in this bunch, about 340-360kg, sold them at home yesterday for €950.

photo-102.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

This is what happens when you run out of spray, it was all cut about 6 weeks ago!!

photo-108.jpg

There was six bullocks in this bunch, about 340-360kg, sold them at home yesterday for €950.

photo-102.jpg

Good man Red,

At least you confirmed the spray works

Nice cattle not out of the way at that money, great calf to left hand side standing up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

4 Autumn calves born between 20th August and 26th Sept, weaned at turn out around on 29 March and on ~1.75kg per day. They're in a group with 5 heifers which will be held onto as replacements.

1st one is by ELZ out of a tidy near PB red LM cow (I wouldn't be surprised if she is NRPB).
    20120518125344.jpg

2nd one is by FHZ out of one of the best 2 cows in the place.
    Nice OMA heifer to his right. There is another OMA heifer which is better than this one.
    20120518125425.jpg

3rd is by FHZ out of a barrel of a black AA cow.
    20120518130350.jpg

The poorest of the 4 by comparision. He's by OMA but not as tasty as the OMA heifers. Just checked his dam and now I'm not surprised. She'll be getting a terminal sire from here on in! Maybe I should castrate him as he'll sell as a farmer's bullock when grass growth returns. What you think?
    20120518125525.jpg

I'm happy with these as it's the first group where I feel my breeding strategy and use of AI since 2008 is starting to pay dividends. The plan is to sell them as weanlings. As the 3 blues in particular are suitable for export, when should I look at selling, what target weight etc?

A few old late calvers all with button tags that will have to go after this year I think. Sentimental value probably has kept them longer then the should have stayed. All very quiet and milky but bad dugs and calving late has gone against them with the last few years. Will be sorry to see them all gone and have my fingers crossed hoping for a few heifers of them this year. They didnt see a nut or a bale of silage all winter either!!

photo-112.jpg

photo-111.jpg

photo-110.jpg

photo-109.jpg

just do it wrote: »
    20120518125344.jpg

20120518125425.jpg

20120518130350.jpg

20120518125525.jpg

Nice stock, Looks like west clare to me!!

Bodacious wrote: »
    Good man Red,

At least you confirmed the spray works

Nice cattle not out of the way at that money, great calf to left hand side standing up

I sprayed that last october, they were very slow to change color but after being cut there has been little to know regrowth so looks to have worked well. There was one narrow wild fecker thrown in with them for good measure :rolleyes: so he probably brought the price down a bit but you couldnt have brought him to the mart on his own. I dont think they would have done a whole lot better in the mart to be honest. Happy to see them gone anyway, grass is scarce around here!!

• Advertisement

A few old late calvers all with button tags that will have to go after this year I think. Sentimental value probably has kept them longer then the should have stayed. All very quiet and milky but bad dugs and calving late has gone against them with the last few years. Will be sorry to see them all gone and have my fingers crossed hoping for a few heifers of them this year. They didnt see a nut or a bale of silage all winter either!!

It's cows like that which make farming enjoyable. They're ideally suited to where you are as well. Out of interest, how much does that winterage land make when ever it comes up for sale? It's guaranteed to last a few centuries longer than any slatted shed, and healthier cattle too;)

Nice stock, Looks like west clare to me!!
    Your spot on, if I'd swung a bit to the left you'd see the Atlantic! Funny enough that's a boggy field they are in prone to being wet. It seems to be the only land that is growing grass at the moment! The good dry land is showing no re-growth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

The poorest of the 4 by comparision. He's by OMA but not as tasty as the OMA heifers. Just checked his dam and now I'm not surprised. She'll be getting a terminal sire from here on in! Maybe I should castrate him as he'll sell as a farmer's bullock when grass growth returns. What you think?
    20120518125525.jpg

I wouldn't be at all afraid of castrating some the way things are now. Indeed we castrated 2 ourselves a few weeks ago. I sorta think they could make more in the mart as bullocks, no doubt will suffer some loss in thrive but our two were a nuisance as bulls.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

They didnt see a nut or a bale of silage all winter either!!

How did you manage that Redz? Would your winterage be growing grass all summer that's kept over for the winter?? Do you just let leave them at it or do you strip graze?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Found myself an admirer at Balmoral yesterday!:D

sheeph.png

It's cows like that which make farming enjoyable. They're ideally suited to where you are as well. Out of interest, how much does that winterage land make when ever it comes up for sale? It's guaranteed to last a few centuries longer than any slatted shed, and healthier cattle too;)

The last piece that came up for sale anywhere near me was about ten years ago. 110 acres in it and feeds about 25 cows for the winter. My uncle bought it for around 80k i think, Had a few years reps out of it and area aid aswell so it wasnt too dear really.

The last piece that came up for sale anywhere near me was about ten years ago. 110 acres in it and feeds about 25 cows for the winter. My uncle bought it for around 80k i think, Had a few years reps out of it and area aid aswell so it wasnt too dear really.

It cheap really when you think that there are no feeding costs for the winter, no slurry spreading costs (ok I know that it has it's own value), no maintenance costs like a shed etc etc. Just need to farm accordingly and away you go!

Muckit wrote: »
    How did you manage that Redz? Would your winterage be growing grass all summer that's kept over for the winter?? Do you just let leave them at it or do you strip graze?

Ya we just graze it from November to April. No strip grazing, just open the gate and let them off!!

It cheap really when you think that there are no feeding costs for the winter, no slurry spreading costs (ok I know that it has it's own value), no maintenance costs like a shed etc etc. Just need to farm accordingly and away you go!

Well the uncle probably had about 30k drawn back out of it with reps aswel. You would spend a lot of the 80k putting up a shed for the same amount of cows but 99% of people dont have a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Does anyone else think them last few pics Redzer put up look like they were taken in the 70's?

I was sorta expecting a dude with long hair and a big shirt collar or tank-top to appear:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement