Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livestock/General Farming photo thread ***READ MOD NOTE IN POST #1***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Difficult calving cows.
    These two always gave trouble calving. Culled them both in the end. To me it's the tailhead that's all wrong.

culled09.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24 teaserbull

pakalasa wrote: »
    Difficult calving cows.
    These two always gave trouble calving. Culled them both in the end. To me it's the tailhead that's all wrong.

The french linear scoring technicians, regard the internal pelvic measurements , (combinations of the oblique, vertical and horizontal widths) and femur trochanter widths, as far more indicative of calving ability, with the external width of the pin bones often misleading, such means of scoreing likely to be introduced in the near future and incorporated into fertility figures here

The thoughts are now that a high tail head leads to easier calving as leads to more room in the birth canal...as the tail head buried or low down between the pin bones (as most show cows were selected on lower tail heads) lead to the spine being pushed down ventrally, compressing the birth canal and leading to a smaller diameter birth canal and thus further calving difficulties

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

teaserbull wrote: »
    The french linear scoring technicians, regard the internal pelvic measurements , (combinations of the oblique, vertical and horizontal widths) and femur trochanter widths, as far more indicative of calving ability

Sounds interesting. Have you a link to a website which explains this with diagrams for the layman? How are these measurements taken - ultrasound? Other than at calving it's hard to see how you can physically take internal pelvic measurements. Femur trochanter widths?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭razor8

Right, here goes...

A bit of the new farm roadway created last year - still waiting for a proper fence to be put up either side of it... :(

Enjoying the sunshine.

Few hogs I kept from last year.

do you creep your lambs?

A bit of the new farm roadway created last year - still waiting for a proper fence to be put up either side of it... :(

Jeez john, my one look like a lada parked beside your mercedes;):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

razor8 wrote: »
    do you creep your lambs?

Hi razor8,

Yep - creep feed them, barley mainly. Have started adding a bit of nuts to it lately, under advice from someone... We'll see.

I crept fed last year for the first time and was happy enough with results. This year lambs aren't doing as good. Not sure it'll pay this year... :(

Do you creep feed razor? Might push back lambing next year I think, and not creep. Maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 teaserbull

just do it wrote: »
    Sounds interesting. Have you a link to a website which explains this with diagrams for the layman? How are these measurements taken - ultrasound? Other than at calving it's hard to see how you can physically take internal pelvic measurements. Femur trochanter widths?:confused:

With a pelvimeter, a special callipers that is insterted into the rectum and read off a scale outside....trochanter width just measuring the two points/rims of the hip where the thigh bone enters the hip joint, just a reference point for measuring off like...http://www.google.ie/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=667&tbm=isch&tbnid=pR0NYGcbzisATM:&imgrefurl=http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1871141308001972&docid=WCUXDPnzDAW73M&imgurl=http://ars.sciencedirect.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S1871141308001972-gr2.jpg&w=333&h=375&ei=CdSyT9-BPIPQhAei76mDCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=783&vpy=138&dur=1511&hovh=238&hovw=212&tx=126&ty=129&sig=107305628795173871797&page=1&tbnh=156&tbnw=149&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0,i:75
    and also a few notes on the procedure
    http://www.uaex.edu/other_areas/publications/pdf/fsa-3010.pdf

This one will calve a bus, good milker and placcid.
    20120515230907.jpg

Same cow with my hand on her out in the field. I try to do this to all of them as often.
    20120515231031.jpg

This is a narrow 1st calver, photo not great at showing this. Having said that she calved an FL22 unassisted and doing a good job at rearing it.
    20120515231141.jpg

How many reasons do you need to cull a cow? I lost this one's calf due to a hard calving (medium width but muscular), her gestation length was 307 days and she's the wildest one in the place every so often squaring up to you as if to challenge you. She'll be on a meat hook by year end ;)
    20120515231252.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

just do it wrote: »
    Jeez john, my one look like a lada parked beside your mercedes;):D

It looks a lot better in the photo to be fair just_do_it.

I hurt my back last year, and while 'twas grand after a few weeks, for a long time after, driving the tractor on the passage at anything more than a snails pace would pinch me a lot :(

So it could do with being a lot more even. :o

...With a pelvimeter, a special callipers that is insterted into the rectum and read off a scale outside...

Anyone ever use one of these pelvimeters.
    32-01.jpg
    $200 from here;
    http://www.lane-mfg.com/supplies/rice-pelvimeter/

Handy way of identifying heifers with small pelvic openings prior to breeding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

!cid_cidImage.jpg the boys enjoying the sun ,sorry for poor pic quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Charolais cross sim heifer I bought off a neighbour a few weeks ago. Only picked her up today...off to the blonde she goes :D

photo-107.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

AtAbAXWCMAAzEbu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

AtBcUm6CQAAErvM.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Sometimes it's the simple things that make us happy...
    Found a real bad wet spot in an otherwise good field... it had appeared since last summer...

Out with the spade and started poking round in the gripe... A foot in I found an old drainage pipe all blocked up... rodded out the end which was bad about three feet back up...

This was the result... Within ten minutes it was running steady and clear and has been running since.. It'll take a while but hopefully the wet spot will dry out..
    draint.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

pakalasa wrote: »
    Difficult calving cows.

The french linear scoring technicians, regard the internal pelvic measurements , (combinations of the oblique, vertical and horizontal widths) and femur trochanter widths, as far more indicative of calving ability, with the external width of the pin bones often misleading, such means of scoreing likely to be introduced in the near future and incorporated into fertility figures here

The thoughts are now that a high tail head leads to easier calving as leads to more room in the birth canal...as the tail head buried or low down between the pin bones (as most show cows were selected on lower tail heads) lead to the spine being pushed down ventrally, compressing the birth canal and leading to a smaller diameter birth canal and thus further calving difficulties

personally I think rump angle (angle of slope from hip to pins) to be a lot more important then the tail head. maybe I'm wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Here's a HEX Heifer we bucket reared last April, she had a lump on her shoulder I mentioned in another post.. it has almost gone now thank god..

[IMG][/img]photoett.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here are two suckled heifers we bought a few weeks ago to bring up our quality and have enough stock.. They were cheap in my eyes.. particularly the Charlois, €750 each.. Another one at the same and then a smaller one for €650

[IMG][/img]photo2ul.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[IMG][/img]photo3le.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A few cows that are running with the Ch bull. All have calved to the Ch and are good cows to calve.

A few more, same as the last lot. Good cows to calve.

Here's the reason the cow in the above Pic 205 is thin!
    Her second set of twins on the trot. Twin heifers off the AI Lim bull Brigadeer (ABI). All going to plan we'll breed from these two!

• Advertisement

personally I think rump angle (angle of slope from hip to pins) to be a lot more important then the tail head. maybe I'm wrong
    I'd agree with that too. Not saying I'm right about the tail head, just throwing it out there as an idea, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Bizzum wrote: »
    Here's the reason the cow in the above Pic 205 is thin!
    Her second set of twins on the trot. Twin heifers off the AI Lim bull Brigadeer (ABI). All going to plan we'll breed from these two!

The red heifer is a powerful calf. The black one looks good too but hard to see from that pic. The cow has made some job of the pair of them anyway!!

Two more cows, both tanks of cows. A Limx(Maybe BB in her) and a BBxCH. The Lim breeds calves very big, so no more CH bull for her, and the BB brings a very decent size calf but is tight and struggles to calve.
    Both are to be culled this year even though both breed top class cattle. The spins on the Lim are too low and big and difficult for a newborn to get to grips with.
    (Now that I think of it, there is a chance the BB is in calf, she's being scanned tomorrow!)

The red heifer is a powerful calf. The black one looks good too but hard to see from that pic. The cow has made some job of the pair of them anyway!!

The black came out a shade bigger as a calf and always keeps her nose in front of the red........Just about. Two lovely heifers though, and quiet too.

Easy enough figure out what this lady is like to calve:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

O.k lads and lassies, I am a long time peeping over all of your ditches at your stock so I am having a go at putting up a few photos. This attempt may be a failure but I will learn.

feb-may2012063.jpg
    feb-may2012064.jpg

Pictures are of a 3 month old lim heifer calf after a bull we bred ourselves from Millbrook Tanko. The second photo is her dam, an ordinary enough lim x brfr first calver.

feb-may2012062.jpg
    feb-may2012069.jpg

A heifer calf off our old stock bull. 4 months old.
    Her mother, a handy little blue x fr that spits out blue calves like ping pong balls from thai lady entertainers.

feb-may2012061.jpg
    feb-may2012066.jpg

Another blue heifer off our old stock bull. about 11 weeks.
    Her dam a blonde x lim that always breeds one of the best calves about the place.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Super stock. That first red Lim is a smasher.

O.k that went well, heres a photo of a field I drained and reseeded last year with a crop of winter rape in the background. The rape was sown out of ley and was put in to give me breathing space to raise stock numbers. I probably won't have the numbers to justify grass next year so I will probably drain the wet spots and put in a crop of winter wheat next fall and grass in August/September 2013.
    feb-may2012058-1.jpg

Bizzum wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^Super stock. That first red Lim is a smasher.

Cheers Bizzum, She will defo see the bull. I am only showing the better ones for now so you all think I am a good farmer, until I put up a few photos of the ones hidden out the back;).

• Advertisement

I was over around north London last week, in the Stansted airport area. I was amazed at the amount of rape that was sown there. At least 25% of the area, I'd say. A mass of yellow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement