Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go to Mass regularly?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Nah I can understand someone embracing their religious identity more, whatever it is, in Northern Ireland. Obviously I don't excuse hatred towards those of other faiths up there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Links234 wrote: »
    Would never set foot in a church again...

besides, I think if I did, everyone in there would turn and look at me like this

you'd probably walk out in a huff then when you'd realise nobody gave a fiddlers! :rolleyes:

i go to mass regularly, nobody cares who i am when i walk in either, we're there for mass, not to gawk awkwardly at each other!

Quality wrote: »
    I bring my kids most weeks

The way I see it, is If I have gone to the effort of having them christened and going to an r catholic school then why wouldn't I bring them to mass?

It's a nice quiet hour once a week, time to reflect and be quiet in myself. Relaxing for me. I find it therapeutic

this pretty much covers it for me too, i find it relaxing to take a bit of time out and reflect on things, plus the gospel and the readings usually give me a lot to think about and reflect upon.

they have a sunday school then for the children in the church i go to aswel where students from the local teacher training college involve the kids in activities and teach them about catholicism in terms they'll understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Yup, I attend regularly enough.. different services, different times.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

RichieC wrote: »
    You're helping to keep ****ty sectarianism alive, so it means something to all Irish people.

A new one on me - by attending Mass, I'm accentuating sectarianism!! :rolleyes:

Anything else you'd like me to change? - give up my Irish passport? Change the names of the kids? Change their schools? The sports I play?

Any advice would be helpful Richie - happy to turn my back on who I am in the aid of eradicating sectarianism!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

bwahahahaaa!!!!!! oh I accidentally :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

A new one on me - by attending Mass, I'm accentuating sectarianism!! :rolleyes:

Anything else you'd like me to change? - give up my Irish passport? Change the names of the kids? Change their schools? The sports I play?

Any advice would be helpful Richie - happy to turn my back on who I am in the aid of eradicating sectarianism!!

you said yourself ffs...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Never. Especially not at Christmas.

I've been in more mosques, synagogues and gurdwaras in the last ten years than I have churches.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

RichieC wrote: »
    you said yourself ffs...

No I didn't - you obviously can't read!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I have kids that I bring to Mass and I insist they go. If, when they reach the age of 16, they feel that it is not for them, then I'm happy for them to bow out.
    That actually pisses me off that you would force someone until the age of 16 to attend something simply because it fits in with your own personal ideals. When they're old enough to articulate that they don't wish to be there, they're old enough to not be forced to go. I don't see what you think you're achieving by forcing them- if anything it'll simply make them more bitter towards the Catholic Church.

I say this as someone who attends services twice a week-- if my child ever said they would rather not go, I would not in a million years tell them otherwise. Faith is a wholly personal matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Confab wrote: »
    Forcing kids to go because it's tradition/expected/the family way is just a tad silly. Doesn't happen so much in Ireland (ROI) tbh.

It doesn't happen much in Dublin, but it happens on quite a large scale -for various reasons - in most of the rest of the country.

• Advertisement

Siuin wrote: »
    Faith is a wholly personal matter.

As is parenting.

As is parenting.
    Parenting is not a 'wholly personal matter' because it involves more than just one person making choices for themself. Believe it or not, that child is an individual in their own right too, and they have the right to establish themselves as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Often but not by choice other wise depends on the weekend and date may or may not go wouldn't bother me not going but go regularly but not every weekend but most weekends yes.

As is parenting.

Faith involves one person. Parenting involves more than one person. To say it is personal, is to completely ignore the personality of the child.

Parenting is not a 'wholly personal matter' because it involves more than just one person making choices for themself. Believe it or not, that child is an individual in their own right too, and they have the right to establish themselves as such.

Do you let your child eat whatever they want? Watch whatever they want? Yadda, yadda..

prinz wrote: »
    Do you let your child eat whatever they want? Watch whatever they want? Yadda, yadda..
    The decision of what to eat is a health issue- deciding to force one's child to go to mass (the Catholic Church, none the less, given their great ole record with how they've treated kids) is completely counterproductive. If the parent has their own ideological reasons for being there, fine, but they should not force them on the child

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Can you make that point clearer, please?

It's pretty clear as it is. Parents are there to parent. Going to 16 may be a tad extreme but to say a child is there to "establish themselves as an individual" at the expense of good parenting is just codology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Faith is a wholly personal matter.

As is parenting.

well said sir! its something that's not said often enough around here! :)

If the parent has their own ideological reasons for being there, fine, but they should not force them on the child

As a matter of interest do you feel the same about feeding a child meat? Or feeding the child a vegetarian diet etc? Where do you draw the line between what is up to the parent.... and what is up to the child to decide for themselves? Is it ideological not to want your child to watch films rated 18's for example? Is a parent allowed to decide that?

It's pretty clear as it is. Parents are there to parent. Going to 16 may be a tad extreme but to say a child is there to "establish themselves as an individual" at the expense of good parenting is just codology.
    I really don't see how 'good parenting' involves forcing a child to sit through services when they simply do not want to be there. It's a pretty good way of making them resent the church and/or the parent, but you can't FORCE a child to believe in God or Catholic doctrine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The decision of what to eat is a health issue-
    What about something like "What friends to associate with"? If a 15 year old thinks hanging around with a load of shoplifting scangers and pretending that you're a "gangsta" straight out of South Central LA is a good idea but their parents don't and stop them from mixing with them they're imposing their views on their child. Which, as you can see, isn't always a bad thing, it's just the parent doing what they think is best for their child.
    deciding to force one's child to go to mass (the Catholic Church, none the less, given their great ole record with how they've treated kids) is completely counterproductive.
    From the OP's point of view, he doesn't seem to care much for the hierarchy of the RCC but seems to be there for other reasons (Which I can't guess at).

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Quality wrote: »
    I bring my kids most weeks.The way I see it, is If I have gone to the effort of having them christened and going to an r catholic school then why wouldn't I bring them to mass?

LOL. Since most people in Ireland don't have much choice about going to catholic school I may see a slight flaw in your argument. And while it may have been your effort to get them christened, they probably didn't have much say in the matter, and yet strangely they pay the price for all your "hard work".
    I have kids that I bring to Mass and I insist they go. If, when they reach the age of 16, they feel that it is not for them, then I'm happy for them to bow out.

Fortunately my father was more enlightened. As soon as me and my brother pointed out the more self-evidently insane bits of the bible and pronounced the whole thing stupid (aged about 7), we got a pat on the back and didn't have to go any more. He later told us if we hadn't figured it out by the time we were 10 he was going to disown us.

Bollocks!

Whoever said that "establishing themselves as an individual" is "at the expense of good parenting"?

You want the child to ultimately be independent. Therefore, you teach. You teach nutritional information, so the child can choose. You teach religious information, so the child can choose. You do NOT force something on said child simply becuase you are a parent, because the child then, ultimately, learns nothing.

As a matter of interest do you feel the same about feeding a child meat? Or feeding the child a vegetarian diet etc? Where do you draw the line between what is up to the parent.... and what is up to the child to decide for themselves?
    I think there should be boundaries for kids (although I wouldn't have a problem with them being a vegetarian, so long as they ate healthily) but when it comes to something like religion, there is simply no good reason to force them to go other than trying to pound an ideology they have already rejected into their heads

You want the child to ultimately be independent. Therefore, you teach. You teach nutritional information, so the child can choose. You teach religious information, so the child can choose. You do NOT force something on said child simply becuase you are a parent, because the child then, ultimately, learns nothing.

So the child decides they want McDonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner, what you give it to them? It s their choice after all. I was under some bizarre impression the parents were there to parent, not pander to the choices of a toddler.

What about something like "What friends to associate with"? If a 15 year old thinks hanging around with a load of shoplifting scangers and pretending that you're a "gangsta" straight out of South Central LA is a good idea but their parents don't and stop them from mixing with them they're imposing their views on their child. Which, as you can see, isn't always a bad thing, it's just the parent doing what they think is best for their child.

From the OP's point of view, he doesn't seem to care much for the hierarchy of the RCC but seems to be there for other reasons (Which I can't guess at).
    I don't see the association between worry about who the child is hanging out with and forcing them to go to mass when they don't want to go? I never said don't have boundaries, I just think religion is an issue where you should allow a child to see what is out there and let them make decisions as to what part it will play in their own lives, if at all. Forcing a child to sit through mass is completely counterproductive and selfish on the parent's behalf tbh.

So the child decides they want McDonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner, what you give it to them?

IS that what you read from my post? Go back and read it again. Esepcially the bit where I wrote, "you teach nutritional information". Because, for some reason, you seem to think I wrote, "you let the child eat whatever the **** they want."

So the child decides they want McDonalds for breakfast, lunch and dinner, what you give it to them? It s their choice after all. I was under some bizarre impression the parents were there to parent, not pander to the choices of a toddler.
    This is a health issue and completely irrelevant- forcing a child to sit in mass is not doing anything for their physical or mental welbeing whatsoever.

IS that what you read from my post? Go back and read it again.

Well yes, you said "you teach nutritional information, so the child can choose", and I am asking if the child chooses McDonald's every day do you cater for that choice?

• Advertisement

Well yes, you said "you teach nutritional information, so the child can choose", and I am asking if the child chooses McDonald's every day do you cater for that choice?

You obviously have no concept of the phrases "teaching" and "nutritional information".

Advertisement