Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avengers (2012) *spoilers from post 1181*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

I went to see this last night in 3D after hearing overwhelmingly good reviews from friends and fairly good reviews from critics.

Very disappointed, I would go as far as to say I thought it was a complete piece of **** and find it hard to understand the praise or its astronomical taking at the box office. Right from the first scene the film was fairly cheap looking (admittedly could have been due to the 3D). The characters were boring and I didn't feel any connection or care for any of them really. The only character I did find interesting was Ruffalos Banner which I felt probably lost out on extra screen time at the expense of the other genius guy Downing Jr's Stark whose rapid fire delivery, arrogant, kiss kiss bang bang routine has grown tiring.

At no point in the film was I particularly interested nor did I really care. The film and the action scenes really felt like they were just going through the motions. I don't know if it was just a bad production overall or if the original subject matter and characters were just **** to begin with.

Also one of the hero's is a God and the other one has a bow and arrow. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I assume you have not read the comics? What exactly were you expecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭banquet

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I assume you have not read the comics? What exactly were you expecting?

No I haven't read the comics nor have I read any Batman or X-men comics but I enjoyed some of those films. I dunno what I was expecting, something in contrast to the points I mentioned above. Less cheese in the script, a storyline that could hold my attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

banquet wrote: »
    No I haven't read the comics nor have I read any Batman or X-men comics but I enjoyed some of those films. I dunno what I was expecting, something in contrast to the points I mentioned above. Less cheese in the script, a storyline that could hold my attention.

Did you see any of the background movies? This was never going to be about establishing characters other than maybe Hulk who'd gone through a change of actor and I think they did a good job at it with the limited time. I didn't think it was a great movie, it was insanely enjoyable though. I felt the same leaving it as I did Battleship, with a smile on my face and feeling I'd got value for money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Jernal wrote: »
    Thought the score was the weakest aspect of the film to be honest. With the exception of the Caps theme is seemed largely amiss and not really hackles raising.

I kinda like the theme though

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Oh what the hell

cmt-medium.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

PerrinV2 wrote: »
    I kinda like the theme though

its ok but not memorable, comic movies really lack a hummable theme these days. strangely I like The Punishers theme tune of the comic movies of the last decade, it sounds kinda like something Morricone would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

krudler wrote: »
    its ok but not memorable, comic movies really lack a hummable theme these days.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Jernal wrote: »

The whole soundtrack of First Class is great. Especially Magnetos theme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

The main complaint? Nah that would be the narcoleptic pacing,

Whats wrong with the pacing? I thought i flew by.
    generic alien threat,

I wasn't that bothered by the aliens, I think they were meant to be disposable (they could have kept them yellow and gold, like they are in the toys from the film, give them more of a unique look). I'm not that familiar with the Chitauri though, maybe they have more variety (in weapons, military vehicles etc.) in the comics?
    abandonment of key character and story elements, awkward opening act,
    a slightly wonky gap in the attention lavished on individual characters

Explain? I didn't see any problems in these areas.
    relatively bland action punctuated by the rare moment of excitement or humour,

Thought the action was great. Honestly don't see how anyone could say it was bland.
    Thor's anti-climactic arrival,

That could have been explained ... clearer. It was mentioned, but it could have been dwelled on a little more.
    The Stan Lee cameo was still crap, though.

Yep. If he insists on doing a cameo, he shouldn't be allow talk in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

tumblr_m3blsohGyT1rqp5dio1_400.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭vrobot

Saw this last night (not in 3D) and it was a excellent! Great pace, special effects and wise cracks. Total escapism. Hadn't heard of Hawkeye or the Black Widow characters before but they were cool too.

Robert Downey Jr. steals the show!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

So was the item (Gem) in Loki's staff a piece of a cosmic cube OR was it the Mind Gem (one of the Infinity Gems)

Would explain why they were all having a go at one another and would fit into Loki's plans to mess with Banners mind to get him to change................

Just wondering/thinking out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Thanos wrote: »
    So was the item (Gem) in Loki's staff a piece of a cosmic cube OR was it the Mind Gem (one of the Infinity Gems)

Would explain why they were all having a go at one another and would fit into Loki's plans to mess with Banners mind to get him to change................

Just wondering/thinking out loud.

Don't think it was the mind gem as Loki also used it to blast energy and blow stuff up. I think it was just an energy thing like the Tesseract

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

HAHA this is class. What if all the men posed like Black Widow. Hulk steals the show again!

536324_443449855681444_272928792733552_1688237_77507431_n.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I guess it's not a new, but it's my most pressing gripe about the film, is california surfer american dude Thor, with his hilarious olde-timey accent & dialogue

It's Thor ffs! I thought his take on the character is super tbh and he has one of the funniest lines in the film "He's adopted...".

The actor had a major role in opening 5 minutes of the 2009 Star Trek film and it's easily one of the best openers to a film in many years...he made great use of the time he had.

Anyways back on topic, I've seen it twice and actually enjoyed it even more the second time around. I felt that the opening hour dragged a little the first time around, but not the second time. I appreciated the pacing a little more. Loki and Hulk were both show stealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Only gripe I have is with the publicity material (posters, banners, etc) - I mean, for all the amazing covers Marvel has across their comic book range, even the first pic below is better than the terrible composition, characters obviously added in from other situations and downright boring look of what went out...
    sheehy83 wrote: »

536324_443449855681444_272928792733552_1688237_77507431_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Finally got to see this last night, myself the brother and a mate went along. Myself and the brother loved it and were raving about it and we turn and asked the mate what he thought of it and he goes "it was far too unrealistic". I couldnt believe he was being serious, i mean its a superhero movie with Gods and Aliens and stuff in it, and he was expecting realism :rolleyes:

Great film by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sorry if already posted Soundgarden song for the film

Great anthemic tune, good to hear new material from them, it was only a 16 year wait! :p Obviously it's a fairly family friendly song but their new album promises to be a bit darker...

Great song for a great movie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

icarus86 wrote: »
    asked the mate what he thought of it and he goes "it was far too unrealistic".

You mean it's NOT a documentary? :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

out of interest, what was the most unrealistic part that put it over the edge into too far fetched?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

speaking of posters:

204133.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SamV

Wasn't going in with high expectations as the first Ironman was the only one of the prequels that I really enjoyed, but I thought Avengers was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Really enjoyed this,the runtime of almost two & a half hours flew by which is always a good sign.
    I'm picky over what films I fork out the cash to see on the big screen but this was well worth it,looks like we're gonna have a good Summer for blockbusters this year if Avengers is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

It made €2.1 million last week in the ROI which is pretty good I'd say? No.1 at the box office anyway. Whats strange is American Pie outsold it in the North!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

jaykhunter wrote: »
    out of interest, what was the most unrealistic part that put it over the edge into too far fetched?

He said the helicarrier would never fly because of aerodynamics or something and that bit where Iron Man is trying to kickstart the engines is typical hollywood, because he just managed to get out just in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Went to see it earlier, brought my toddler who enjoyed every minute of it, will post more on it later but thanks to Basq and Drum Ste for their PM's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

He said the helicarrier would never fly because of aerodynamics or something and that bit where Iron Man is trying to kickstart the engines is typical hollywood, because he just managed to get out just in time.

Didn't mention anything about it turning invisible, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

yeah because in a film with a giant green rage monster, two Norse gods on earth, a man in a self made metal suit capable of flight and a guy unfrozen from the 40s who is a genetically engineered super solider, its all about the aerodynamics.

Advertisement