Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Battleship, I enjoyed it more than the Transformers movies, there I said it. stupid, ridiculous, basically a 2hr ad for the Navy, but great effects and stupid fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

The Avengers Assemble - thought it was brilliant!
    the characters, action, humour, all top class! now Im going to have to out and buy all the superhero movies!

now watching Aliens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just watched Drive. Badass story. Loved it, love Ryan Gosling and loved the soundtrack. Deffo give it a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Old Boy

Ha, didn't exactly expect what I got!
    Cracking dark but original flick with some serious twists and turns. The movie had a lot of faults but it kept me entertained from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I mentioned in the thread but Avengers last night was good blockbuster cinema. The one thing I forgot to mention was how I liked the lack of cheesiness when all the major characters were introduced. Usually there's the annoying set up to the reveal of a character in sequels and a corny line as the camera closes up on their face and luckily Whedon steered clear of that sort of carry on.

Tonight I researched the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo on Blu Ray. Enjoyed it even more second time. I had watched some of the features in the last week so it's great to see the insight and attention to detail as I rewatched it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

Have to see this. Big fan of Bob trough the 90's.
    Thanks boards.ie

I'm not familiar with his stuff in the 90's, preferred his 70's stuff to be honest.

I saw it on Tuesday and thought it was very good. It was a little bit long, but nicely paced I thought. I was happy to sit through the extra half hour to not have them rush through parts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

88 Minutes

Normally, these affairs contain elements you can forgive relatively easily - a few cliches, obvious twists, an innocent man on the run tortured soul lead, etc. Here, though, it's pretty much all bad, tedious and flat. There's the unintentionally hilarious 'I'm a forensic psychiatrist with the FBI' *badge flash* whilst stopping traffic routine and Pacino phoning up resources as if he's somehow walking in the shoes of Jack Bauer.

It was not directed so much as starved of food and water and then kicked around a cage.

Avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finally got around to watching The Illusionist. Much better than I'd thought it was going to be tbh.

Young Adult - argh, can I have that 90 minutes of my life back please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

Watched Animal Kingdom last night [story of a criminal family in Melbourne]. It was excellent, particularly the ending. Nicely paced and great cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

The Incredible Hulk
    Edward Norton version. Good solid comic book film. Thought Norton played the role pretty well. Nothing special but worth a watch.

The Third Man
    Very good old film. Wonderful cinematography throughout and a good story. Only thing that irked me slightly was the score. It just seemed inappropriate at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Courier" (1988) - tracked down a VHS copy (not released on DVD) eventually on eBay but not worth the wait! Dublin was a depressing place back in the 1980s and this movie certainly captures that but as a crime thriller it is fairly pedestrian. Even the presence of a young Gabriel Byrne in the lead role as a drug lord fails to lift the thing beyond mediocrity. Think Fair City with a bit of added violence and you just about have it. If you want to see Dirty Old Dublin as it was back then...depressing clip below - you've been warned!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Watched it tonight for about the 10th time

I love this film:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just watched Haywire, it just could have been so much better, i really expected much more with soderberg behind the camera, but TBH 70% of my hate for it was the score, it was terrible what **** where they thinking its not an art house film it suppose to be a balls to the wall type film, maybe slow the pace a bit for some espionage but that's be about it,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

21 Jump Street
    Way better than I expected it to be. I really enjoyed it: perfect dumb comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

don ramo wrote: »
    just watched Haywire, it just could have been so much better, i really expected much more with soderberg behind the camera, but TBH 70% of my hate for it was the score, it was terrible what **** where they thinking its not an art house film it suppose to be a balls to the wall type film, maybe slow the pace a bit for some espionage but that's be about it,

awful film, was pissing myself laughing
    at the scene when she appears out of NOWHERE on a beach and fly kicks Ewan McGregor, the whole cinema laughed at that.
    was trying to be an arthouse action film and was as bad as some 80's DTV sh1te. even Fassbender couldnt save it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

livinsane wrote: »
    Watched Animal Kingdom last night [story of a criminal family in Melbourne]. It was excellent, particularly the ending. Nicely paced and great cast.
    good film, done on a small budget too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

Best movie I have seen in a long time. The cinematography is spot on. The type of movie I could watch over and over again. It really made me appreciate Ryan Gosling for his acting ability in this one. Not to mention soundtrack. They hit the nail on the head with this one. Know its been out awhile and probably mentioned loads but it's definitely worth the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Best movie I have seen in a long time. The cinematography is spot on. The type of movie I could watch over and over again. It really made me appreciate Ryan Gosling for his acting ability in this one. Not to mention soundtrack. They hit the nail on the head with this one. Know its been out awhile and probably mentioned loads but it's definitely worth the watch.
    Yes, it was a big hit late last year. There's a big, contentious thread about it about here somewhere if you want to read how others reacted to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭chocolatrose

I think it may be closed. Hmmm I'm curious now as to how it was received. Contentious :confused: Well I guess I can see how some people might find certain aspects of it hard to stomach :D Oh well great film none the less in my opinion..gore and all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I think it may be closed. Hmmm I'm curious now as to how it was received. Contentious :confused: Well I guess I can see how some people might find certain aspects of it hard to stomach :D Oh well great film none the less in my opinion..gore and all

Not closed at all, although unusually far down in the search results:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056385996

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

kingdom of the spiders.

damn uncivilised of The Shat stomping on
    them arachnids.

:(

each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Boogie Nights, first time in years. A truly shocking film for a variety of reasons, some obvious, some not so much. There's a scene of Dirk Diggler (Mark Wahlberg) trying to sing the worst song I've ever heard. Were the 80s really that bad? :eek:

I wonder how much rehearsal it took for Marky Mark, of the original New Kids On The Block, to be that bad?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Winters Bone is very good, haven't read the book but I believe the adaptation is meant to be fairly faithful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

On a bit of a sci fi buzz lately. Watched Gattaca the other night. Very slick. Jude Law perfectly cast as the slightly smarmy Morrow. Am always happy to see Ethan Hawke in a leading role. Doesn't seem like it is 15 years old.

Watched Minority Report last night. Very good. Not as "hollywood" as I had expected.

Going to watch Sunshine tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I watched Stay (2005) last night on Film4. A psychological thriller starring a young Ryan Gosling and Ewan McGregor. I was initially intrigued by the story of a psychiatrist and a suicidal college student but it fast became a bit of a pretentious psycho babble. The twist revealed at the doesn't pay off for the hour or so of incoherent mess that precedes it. Its easy to see why this was a box office disaster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The Dark Knight

Watching it again, 4 years hence, it's still pretty good. However, I didn't think much of the action
    involving the truck flipping
    and I'm still not keen on the
    technobabbly sonar gadget
    used towards the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The Lovely Bones

Peter Jackson film

Realy liked it a lot

Stanley Tucci is always good and the young Irish girl was good too, forget her name
    edit, looked it up Saoirse Ronan

There was quite a bit of CGI which worked for the fantasy sequences

Touching story

Reading about it seems it got horrible reviews.
    Screw them all, I recommend this film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Watching Die Hard on Blu-Ray at the moment. Why cant they make movies like this anymore?

Plus, for anyone who critisizes J.J. Abrams for using lens flare, John McTiernan was doing it 25 years ago to great effect. If only more directors took notes from the classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

The Ghost Writer was on last night so watched it again

21 Jump Street some brilliant scenes, overall pretty good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Badlands(1973) by Terrence Malick great film

It's based on the true story but the reality is far worse than the movie.

Dramatization of the Starkweather-Fugate killing spree of the 1950's, in which a teenage girl and her twenty-something boyfriend slaughtered her entire family and several others in the Dakota badlands.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069762/
    old trailers are gas

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement